Yes, I'm Human...

A little area for new users to say hello if they don't want to post in the recruitment threads just yet.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Yes, I'm Human...

Post by simonthompson »

...says the Call of Cthulhu enthusiast!

Hi everyone,

Just got back into Call Of Cthulhu after last playing the game since way back in the 1980s. Great to see it thriving and with such a vibrant online community, and best of all a host of solo scenarios are now available for us gamers stuck in the sticks.

Looking to play in or perhaps even run something soon, but for now just enjoying the online vibe!

Simon
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Yes, I'm Human...

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Simon! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. I also like solo scenarios, and I've written quite a bit of interactive fiction. You can find an example of it on this site, in fact: The End of It All. I also don't have a local group with which to play, so this site, conventions, and solo scenarios are the only way I get to play.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome, Simon! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. I also like solo scenarios, and I've written quite a bit of interactive fiction. You can find an example of it on this site, in fact: The End of It All. I also don't have a local group with which to play, so this site, conventions, and solo scenarios are the only way I get to play.
Thanks for the validation and welcome.

I'll be checking out and working through 'The End Of It All' as soon as I can. It's a great example of what I meant when I mentioned the vibrancy of the online CoC community and it really is so useful to us isolated gamers, or those who can't find the type of group that suits them.

Thanks again :D
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Just played through The End of It All Mr Handy.

Very nice little scenario - of course my character died but then I suppose we all do in the end... I'll revisit it I'm sure! ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thank you, and you're welcome. If you'd like to play in the games I'm running, you'd be welcome to join as well, though they are currently well under way. One is The Horror in the Blackout, a mashup of Call of Cthulhu and Doctor Who set in London in September 1940. It's the fifth adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which samples various eras and settings. The other is Zombie Apocalypse, modern non-Mythos survival horror set in the near future.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Hello fellow of Wessex and welcome.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thank you, and you're welcome. If you'd like to play in the games I'm running, you'd be welcome to join as well, though they are currently well under way. One is The Horror in the Blackout, a mashup of Call of Cthulhu and Doctor Who set in London in September 1940. It's the fifth adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which samples various eras and settings. The other is Zombie Apocalypse, modern non-Mythos survival horror set in the near future.
I'll return to 'The End Of It All' in a few days I think, once I've rolled a new Investigator. And thanks for the offer to join your games. For now I'll respectfully decline since I'd like my first PBP foray to be in a classic setting and from the beginning of a scenario ideally.

By the way the mix of CoC and Dr Who is interesting - the former has a decidedly dark and forbidding feel whereas Dr Who is (for me) all about optimism and the ultimate triumph of all things good. I'll try to find time to check out how you handle it.

:)
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

aine wrote:Hello fellow of Wessex and welcome.
Thanks for the welcome Aine :)

I see you're not far away from me, just over the county border. I know Bristol has an active gaming fraternity, is it also a hotbed of all things Lovecraftian?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and I understand. I've also noticed that CoC and DW have conflicting mindsets, though they also have in common the vastness and wonder of the universe. The first game in the campaign actually was classic era (1930). After this adventure concludes, probably some time next year, you'd have the opportunity then to join in the scenario from the beginning. I'm planning to set that one in the Renaissance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Re Lovecraftian Bristol: do you know, I've never actually played for real in Bristol but it has a wealth of dark and sinister corners and history; if I ever wrote a scenario, it would be set in Bristol. And then I could give myself the creeps when I find myself in said corners.
I look forward to meeting you in a new game at some point.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´m dropping in and saying hi and welcome, Simon!
Cheers at Aine and Mr.H!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Dave wrote:I´m dropping in and saying hi and welcome, Simon!
Cheers at Aine and Mr.H!
Hello, and thanks so much for the welcome Dave. I'm hoping to join, or perhaps even run, a game myself soon but I'm just holding off until I'm sure I can honour the time commitments involved and I find a suitably enticing scenario.

Meanwhile I'm making my way through 'Alone Against The Dark', and really enjoying 'Sherlock Holmes And The Shadwell Shadows'. The latter may even orientate me towards 'Cthulhu By Gaslight'...

Return to “Welcome Room”