New to Call of Cthulhu

A little area for new users to say hello if they don't want to post in the recruitment threads just yet.
Shockley
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

New to Call of Cthulhu

Post by Shockley »

Hi everyone. I just recently bought the game and am interested in diving into a game here before i get my feet wet being a keeping in the real world. I am an active Star Wars RPG GM and have experience with DnD. Let me know if you are :D recruiting!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: New to Call of Cthulhu

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Shockley! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

I'm running a Cthulhu Invictus scenario called The Brotherhood of Death which is set in 44 BC Rome. It's in the middle, but it wouldn't be too hard to catch up on it. I could use someone to take over an abandoned character, or you could create a new character. This is the fourth scenario in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, but you don't need to know anything about Doctor Who or the first three adventures to play. If you do want to read the first three adventures, you can find them in the Hall of Fame via the links in my signature.

I've also brought back Zombie Apocalypse, a long-running game that stalled when all of the players stopped posting, after a lengthy hiatus. It's non-Mythos, but it uses the Call of Cthulhu rules and has its own similar mythology. It's set in the nebulous near future at the start of the zombie outbreak. It's survival horror rather than investigative horror. While a lot has happened, it's still early on the second day, so you could jump in without too much catching up (unless you take over characters who have been around for a long time). Currently the game has stalled again. You can find the recruitment thread here, and the game itself is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Hello Shockley! Happy gaming. Hope you find something you enjoy!
Shockley
Layman
Layman

Post by Shockley »

I work on Warren Air Force Base... :o

II'm interested in the Rome campaign. It seems like it would be easier to jump into and get caught up on.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Wow, that is interesting!

Welcome aboard! There are two characters whose players haven't logged in for weeks: auxiliary cavalryman Decius Lupus and ex-gladiator Aricus Callidus Gladio. Their character sheets are in this thread. Both characters are built on page 2, and you can find their sheets there. I never did have time to compile them into their final form and put them in the Character Sheets thread. Let me know by posting here which one you'd like to play, or if you'd like to create your own character.

If you did want to play Zombie Apocalypse, I could reboot it entirely so that you wouldn't need to catch up on it. However, that would take a long time for me to prepare, and I would need more players, so it would still be a while. It would also be quite some time before we got to Warren AFB, if things even went in that direction.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Shockley
Layman
Layman

Post by Shockley »

I'm in. However, since i am new to the game i would prefer to start my own character. I have the 7th Edition rules but will consult the interwebs to ensure that my sheet matches up with the sixth edition. A couple of questions:Where is the party in the story? What kind of character does the party need, if any? How do i read the subforum ( I've never done PbP where there is multiple threats for one story)?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

This scenario uses Cthulhu Invictus rules, which are based on 6th Edition. I provided all the needed character creation information in the Character Creation/Rules thread I linked above (where you can work on building your character) except for occupational skill lists. You can find those in the Friends, Romans, Countrymen - Background Information thread. I never completed it before people finished creating their characters, so there are still some missing from the list, which is in alphabetical order. If you want an occupation that isn't on there, let me know, and I'll give you the skill list for it.

You should create whatever type of character you want to play. There are already plenty of PCs, and the bases are pretty much covered. There are already three auxiliary cavalrymen, but if you want to play one as well that's fine; it may even be easier to work you into the story. It may be a little while before I can find a way to introduce you, so there's no rush in creating your character. You may only read In Character threads if your character is in them, so please refrain from reading the IC threads that already exist until after the adventure is over. To read the subforum, all you need to do is click on its name (or this link will take you directly there). Episode 1 is complete, so it's locked and you cannot post there. The only thread you should read there is Introduction, which is an IC thread that everyone is allowed to read. When you are brought into the story, I'll let you know which IC thread you start in, and there will be a hyperlink at the end when it concludes directing you to the next one.

In the meantime, feel free to post in the Out of Character (OOC) thread, The Zero Room. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Shockley
Layman
Layman

Post by Shockley »

If is will get me in faster, ill work on a cavalryman character. What would i need to do to get caught up on Zombies? Threads to read and such?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A cavalryman won't really get you in any faster than another type of character, it would just be easier to explain your entry, but I can make it work for any character. Create whatever kind of character you want. If you're a client (or slave) of Senator Germanicus, one of the PCs, that would help introduce you. The way to get in faster would be to take over one of the two abandoned characters. Then you could start playing right away, as soon as you catch up on the back reading. With a new character, no catching up is necessary.

For Zombie Apocalypse, how you catch up will depend upon which characters you want to play, or if you want to create new ones. The Rules and Guidelines thread is always helpful, and it also has instructions for character creation. Because the game is so deadly, you may play multiple characters. Three is the recommended number, and they should ideally be in different sections, or at least different threads. Four is the maximum number of characters you can play at a time. There are three main sections of the game. Gold takes place in Warren AFB, Sword is currently located in Montana, and Omaha is set in Omaha, Nebraska (though most of the characters there have evacuated and are on their way west to Warren AFB). You may create up to two new characters, one each in Gold and Omaha. The situation in Sword doesn't really allow for bringing in new characters. In addition to or instead of creating characters, you may take over existing characters. I recommend you choose characters that were added in Chapter 7, as they have the least catching up required, but you are free to pick characters added earlier if you're up to all the reading. You can find them in the Character Sheets thread in the Chapter 7 subforum. You can't have the ones played by Kabukiman, Dave, or Laraqua, as both of them are still active on the site, but any other characters (except those labeled as Played by Keeper) are available. To catch up on your chosen character(s), you can find a list of hyperlinks for each surviving character that will lead you through that character's threads (or portions of threads) in each chapter's subforum. Do not read any IC threads or portions thereof where you don't have a character. Below that list, you can also find a list of each characters weapons, ammo, and armor, as well as the skills they've successfully used this chapter. New characters will not require catching up unless I can decide that they've been in a thread all along. I'll give you a summary of any new character's experiences on the first day and the second day so far.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Welcome Room”