What a lovely crypt!

A little area for new users to say hello if they don't want to post in the recruitment threads just yet.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

What a lovely crypt!

Post by evil_scientist »

Hi, everybody!

I'm a big fan of horror in literature, movies, comics and RPGs, so I was really glad to find this place. I prefer games that emphasize occult / supernatural investigation, encounters with the unknown, set in any time period (I have a soft spot for the 1970s... Strange, games set in the 1970s are quite rare!). I also like fantasy type games with weird fiction and horror elements.

Looking forward to some mind-bending and soul-crushing experiences!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: What a lovely crypt!

Post by HoneyDog »

Welcome Evil Scientist! Hope you have fun. I'm looking to start an introductory game of `The Haunting` - you're welcome to join.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome evil_scientist! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

I like the 1970s too, and I've even lived through most of them. It is an underused era. My game Space Oddity has had parts in a few time periods. Most of it takes place in July 1969, which is almost the 1970s, and there was one segment set in July 1976. The scenario is inspired by the British TV shows Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, which are (aside from a few bits in modern times) set in 1973-4 and 1981-3 respectively. World War Cthulhu: Cold War has a 1970s setting, but I don't have that sourcebook.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome evil_scientist! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

I like the 1970s too, and I've even lived through most of them. It is an underused era. My game Space Oddity has had parts in a few time periods. Most of it takes place in July 1969, which is almost the 1970s, and there was one segment set in July 1976. The scenario is inspired by the British TV shows Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, which are (aside from a few bits in modern times) set in 1973-4 and 1981-3 respectively. World War Cthulhu: Cold War has a 1970s setting, but I don't have that sourcebook.
Thanks!

I've seen the first season of Life on Mars and enjoyed it -- maybe sometime I'll revisit it!

I was thinking about other decades as well, and turns out the 1960s aren't that popular either. Or the 1980s (there is an interesting sourcebook for the new Vampire line called "New Wave Requiem", though).

1950s: Atomic Age Cthulhu
1960s: The Fall of Delta Green (in development?), Spycraft: 1960s Decade Book, The Agency
1970s: World War Cthulhu: Cold War, The Outer Presence
1980s: New Wave Requiem (nWoD)

Judging by this non-comprehensive list, most settings are about espionage...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! I ran a 1980s adventure here recently: The Shadow Over Dunwich, the third adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which was set in 1985. Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that Call of Cthulhu started in 1981, so every contemporary scenario written during the early years was in fact a 1980s scenario (though usually updatable to later decades).

The Sandbaggers is another great British TV series. It's about espionage and aired from 1978-80. It is firmly set in that time, as current events are frequently referenced. It's probably the most realistic and gritty espionage show there is.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I watched The Sandbaggers recently - I agree, its of it's time but hasn't aged due to the quality of the writing and acting. You can watch the whole thing on Youtube.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I watched it recently too, about a month and a half ago. I bought the collection on DVD on sale for $75, which was half price. Right now I'm in the middle of Upstairs, Downstairs. While it was set in a much earlier time, it was made in the 1970s.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

You certainly enjoy your 70's and 80's British TV Mr.H.

If you've never seen it, watch 'Edge of Darkness', about 80's fear of nuclear weapons & technology, with an element of mysticism. It's excellent drama.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

My favorite British shows from the period are The Owl Service and Children of the Stones!

I'll add The Sandbaggers to my watch list...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

I watched The Owl Service on TV in the 70s! Recently tried episode 1 on YouTube--must say, I thought the girl in red was lovely. I remember an article: Curse of The Owl Service, or something, about all the bad stuff that had happened, the lead boy was killed in a car crash...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've never heard of Edge of Darkness, The Owl Service, or Children of the Stones. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

My favorite British TV show from that era is classic Doctor Who, which aired from 1963-1989. It's a huge inspiration for the campaign I'm running here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"The Stone Tape" can also be added to the list of paranormal / weird TV movies...

HoneyDog wrote:If you've never seen it, watch 'Edge of Darkness', about 80's fear of nuclear weapons & technology, with an element of mysticism. It's excellent drama.

Thanks for this tip, I haven't seen it either.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

evil_scientist wrote:1950s: Atomic Age Cthulhu
1960s: The Fall of Delta Green (in development?), Spycraft: 1960s Decade Book, The Agency
1970s: World War Cthulhu: Cold War, The Outer Presence
1980s: New Wave Requiem (nWoD)
Just a quick addition to the 1970s section:
Deviant Decade by John M. Stater

Return to “Welcome Room”