Hello, looking foward to getting involved!

A little area for new users to say hello if they don't want to post in the recruitment threads just yet.
Bandages
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Hello, looking foward to getting involved!

Post by Bandages »

Hello,
I stumbled across this wonderful site after looking specifically for some online games of Call of Cthulhu.
Like many others, I am a long-time fan of the fiction and Mythos which surrounds H.P Lovecraft, and having read more, and somewhat influenced by my love for miniature gaming, I have decided to dip my feet, so to say, in the RPG world.
I have an understanding of the basic RPG set-up and modus operandi, but I have not actually sat down and played a game. Will this be a huge issue?
I have read through the 7th Ed. Quick start rules for CoC and have acquired some of the supplementary books; Mansions of madness Dread sleeper in R’Lyeh and the investigators compainion V2, but will this be enough?
There are still some aspects of the game I am hazy about; How does time work in relation to activities? Do players have to list an inventory of items they have during their investigations?

Anyway, I’ve gone off course!
Very much looking forward to getting involved at some level if there is a kind hearted group willing to give a complete novice a chance.
Thanks,
Tom
CrowTheAlmighty
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Hello, looking foward to getting involved!

Post by CrowTheAlmighty »

Well hi there... Tom. Glad I'm not the only newbie to this game! Hopefully a new game starts and we can both join it and try CoC out :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Tom! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. You'd be welcome to join my games, and I'm more than happy to take on new players. All of my games are well underway and only one is currently active. That one is The Shadow Over Dunwich, the third adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which is a UNIT adventure set in 1985 Dunwich, England. No knowledge of the first two adventures is needed to play, but you can read them in the Hall of Fame if you like. You don't even need to do any catching up if you join, as I can introduce a new UNIT character at this point. No knowledge of Doctor Who is required, and there's a thread detailing everything you need to know about UNIT. If you don't mind doing back reading, there are a couple of abandoned characters, and you could take over one. We're approaching the endgame, which will hopefully be completed within a few months. After that, I plan to start the fourth adventure, a Cthulhu Invictus scenario set in the late Roman Republic that I call The Brotherhood of Death. However, I doubt that will start until next year.

I also run Zombie Apocalypse, a modern near-future non-Mythos game, though with a similar mythology. However, none of the players have posted in nearly a month. There was also Space Oddity, based on Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes and set in 1969 Philadelphia, but that has been dead for several months, as all of the players have disappeared.

There are a number of other games here, some of which are looking for new players. You can look in "I'm Thinking of Running a Game..." and "Existing Games Looking for Players." You can also run a scenario of your own if you feel up to it.

I haven't read the 7th edition Quick Start yet, as I still use 6th. What you have should be enough to play, though. Players don't really need to know the rules inside and out, as long as whoever's running the game is familiar with them. The rules don't usually specify exact time intervals for most activities (one exception is Library Use, which typically takes four hours per attempt). Common sense is the best guide there. Often character sheets will have lists of equipment/possessions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Bandages
Layman
Layman

Post by Bandages »

Thank you both for the welcome and the information,
Apologies that this is a few days late, I've aquired a CoC 6th ed. and have been trying to plough through that!
I’ve had a look Mr. Handy and, if possible I’d quite like to join your ‘The Shadow Over Dunwich’ game if possible? I’ll fill out a character sheet (as soon as i get my activation e-mail from invisible castle) and submit a short back story on the relevant board.
Many thanks,
Tom
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! Yes, you can join, and welcome aboard! The Character Creation/Rules thread here has the instructions, and Your Career in U.N.I.T. has background on UNIT as well as various character templates. The character you create will need to be affiliated with UNIT in some way. The endgame is likely to have a lot of action, so you should make a character that is capable of combat or one that can support combat operations.

Invisible Castle has had problems with new people trying to register for quite some time, but those of us who are already registered can use it just fine. If you can't manage to register, you can still roll dice on the site, but certain fields (such as the very useful Note field) are not available.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Job »

Welcome Bandages and CrowTheAlmighty!

Pull up a chair, spill blood, and visit the site often. :)

Job.

Return to “Welcome Room”