Looking to learn and play CoC!!!!!

A little area for new users to say hello if they don't want to post in the recruitment threads just yet.
AScaryKobold
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Looking to learn and play CoC!!!!!

Post by AScaryKobold »

Hello everyone, my name is Nick and CoC is a game that I have been entertaining trying out for a while but was barely capable of finding people who knew the game at all, let alone someone who had the time to play it really. I've always wanted to play a roleplaying game with more focus on actual roleplaying as opposed to combat like Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons (both of which I know pretty well [3.5e in the case of D&D]). I also like horror of course.

I know some of the basic ideas of how CoC works but I'm lacking in many details in areas like how the Sanity system works. If someone could send me a link to a place to find info on the game that would be great. I'd like to refrain from having to buy anything simply to learn the game.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Looking to learn and play CoC!!!!!

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Nick! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

Yes, there is a good place to learn how to play Call of Cthulhu for free. You should read the Quick Start rules, which will teach you the basics of the game. Some of the rules are different than in the rulebook, particularly for character creation. You may want to avoid reading the included scenario The Haunting if you ever want to play it, to avoid spoilers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
AScaryKobold
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by AScaryKobold »

I will definitely check out those Quick Start rules when I get home from work later.
On a side note, I have a little bit of Play By Post experience from a bit of Pathfinder game on unlimitedrpgs.com. I'll probably start off a bit rusty, but I think I can do it just fine. Is there any supplements you might suggest I check out, or anything that you figure I should know to assist me with learning the system and all?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sure you'll be fine too. You might want to check out the Rules and Guidelines thread I posted in Zombie Apocalypse, one of the games I run. Some of the information and rules in there are specific to that game, but there are things of general use. Another good idea is to read up on a completed game or two in the Hall of Fame to get a feel for how it works. A good one would be The Haunting, which I played in. It was excellent and isn't terribly long, but be warned that it will spoil that scenario for you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Welcome Room”