The Investigation (Everyone)

The son of a sitter in the House of Lords has gone missing! Obviously, Lord Godfrey Sommers would like to avoid a scandal...

Moderator: Dr. Bloodworth

Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Re: The Investigation (Everyone)

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Varcholek nods.

"Of course we understand, Mr Maurice. I am glad you have decided that we should help each other in finding these people." The two Russian agents follow the others back towards the study once more. "Now, how may we help you?" Varcholek says as they sit.
OOC,As I said over in The Ninth Planet, I haven't been feeling up to par the last few weeks and I apologize for not having posted anything about that. I thought I did, but I guess not.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sharing what you know would be a good start," suggests Reg. "We're going to need all the information we can get."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Maud listens eagerly.
ooc,Welcome back Dr. Bloodworth, glad you're feeling above par again.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Alicia watches the Russians closely, eager to hear what they say, but also alert to whether they are telling the truth or not, and how much of it they are revealing or otherwise. She hopes that her journalist's skills at reading people might prove useful here.
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

With Mr Varcholek busily devouring a roll, Mr Strizhakov is the first to speak as he puts down his cup. "Twenty years ago, a sort of - well, not really a religion, more of a club of sorts, arose in Ekaterinburg. The members were mostly younger people. Mostly men, but not all. The Okhrana looked into this club, who seemed to be degenerates of the foulest sort - involved in all manner of immorality - but, as far as we could see, nothing that was of danger to the country as a whole." He looks toward Varcholek, who is still eating, and then continues. "Though some of the townspeople whispered about black magic. One day, there was an accident, and several of the young people in this 'club' were killed in a most horrible way. We initially suspected fire, but the rest of the house was unburnt. I believe there are cases of folk burning to death in an unburnt place? Perhaps it was that..."

"This is not relevant to what they seek, Gennadi," says Varcholek, around a mouthful of food.

Strizhakov nods. "A little over a month later, the Okhrana was contacted by church officials in Kiev saying that a raskolniki sect was present. We investigated and found the same sort of club had sprung up. Tsar Nicholas had us investigate more closely, fearing an anarchist plot, perhaps. We soon found that a woman had recently arrived in Kiev from Ekaterinburg and we suspected she was the key. The name she used at that time was Countess Marina Ivanova, though we were soon to discover this was not the case."

Varcholek gulps down his food and continues the talk. "To make a long and repetitious story short, we have been on the trail of Ivanova - whose name we determined to actually be Irina Byragan - for five years. She has travelled all through Russia and Europe, and her pattern is always the same. Set up in a city, start her 'club', then at some point there is an 'accident', and she changes her name and flees the country. Strange events are often reported from the cities where she is staying, leading some to believe the strangest of tales about her, like my compatriot here. I do not believe these tales. She is a woman only, though a wicked one, no doubt.

"London is only the latest of her stops."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It seems she's been up to her old tricks here as well," says Reg. "Have you been able to learn anything of her past?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

So that woman started a club and Arthur decided to join in...
Richards throws his assumption to the air and waits for the Russian respond
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Gosh, so that's what was happening at the theatre." Maud exclaims. "Well we'd better hurry up and get on her trail before she vanishes again. Five years!" She looks sorrowfully at the two Russians and passes them the plate of buns.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"What is the precise nature of the 'accidents' associated with this woman?" asks Alicia, directing her question to the two Russians. "In other words exactly how much danger is Arthur in?"
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Our thoughts exactly," says Mr. Varcholek. "Countess Byragan - Bogdansky as she calls herself now - is likely preparing to move on. As to the accidents? There quite often seems to end up being some sort of mass death - sometimes by the burning that Strizhakov has mentioned to you, sometimes by other means. But if this woman does indeed have your friend, it is imperative that he be retrieved sooner, not later.

"As to her past, we've not been able to determine much. In Ekaterinburg she claimed to have been a boyar somewhere in the vicinity of Vladivostok, but there are no noble families by the name of Ivanov or Ivanova in that area. There are a few Byragans, we determined later, though there is no evidence they were ever of a noble station..."

With his mouth half full, Strizhakov excitedly bursts in. "The Manchurians in China do have stories of a demon queen from the north they call Hou Xuekou, 'Queen Red Mouth', and they said it was her - "

"Bah," Varcholek scoffs. "The Chinese are superstitious." Seeing quizzical looks, he continues. "The Red Mouths were a revolutionary group who nearly overthrew the Chinese throne centuries ago. They say that Queen Red Mouth resembled Countess Byragan, but doubtless they think all Europeans look the same. While I don't doubt involvement of some Russians, how could the Countess have survived for centuries?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That does sound a bit unlikely," says Reg. "Survived for centuries...sounds a bit like that book Dracula by that Stoker chap that came out a few years back. I doubt this woman is a literal vampire like in that novel, but figuratively it fits what she does. She will drain a man dry if given the chance. But yes, time is clearly of the essence. Have you found any leads so far?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Being cautious not to reveal their employee and their motives, Richard lowers his glass and shares the following clues
Our investigation revealed that the countess Bogdansky abduct people for various purposes. A fellow named Max, a painter in the near past and a possible close friend of Arthur may know more, if he himself was not abducted by her. We can find out more at his residence at 10 Haddo St, Greenwich before we decide to confront miss Bogdansky.
He takes the bottle of brandy and pour some more to his glass and continue
The lady's house, according to Maud, lies in Camaden Square. This should be our next point.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud nods in agreement. "There's also the house in St. Pancras but I suppose we shouldn't split up too much in case we meet her." Maud shudders at the thought of being alone with the terrible Countess.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"I think staying together this time is wise," says Alicia. "We don't know what we might run into in any of the places. This is getting very dangerous."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Reg. "Let's track down Max first and find out what we can, then prepare ourselves for the final confrontation. Time is growing short."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

The two agents confer with each other in Russian, eventually nodding to each other. Varcholek speaks up. "We should be expecting anything," he says. "These men of hers are likely watching some if not all of us, and they are certainly not to be trifled with. I believe you are correct, miss, when you speak of us not splitting up. Does everyone possess weapons?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Weapons?
Richard replies
Surely I was hoping to negotiate without any violence but I understand that the group we are to confront with are bodyguards of some maniac demonic in nature woman. I have my personal hunting rifle and knife, me and them had good days in India and Africa in the past 10 years.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"No, I'm afraid that I have no weapons," muses Alicia. "I've never had cause to use them before. Though if I could borrow one I might be able to wield it. Even carrying something simple like a hammer might be better than nothing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, I've spent my share of time in Africa as well," says Reg, "though I was in the Sudan serving in Her Majesty's army and hunting rather different game. I do have my old rifle, but it's at home. I don't normally carry it around with me. I'm a rather good shot with it too. I also have a large knife, and even when unarmed I have a devastating right cross."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud shakes her head. "I'm afraid none at all. I can drive a carriage or cab well if we needed to escape quickly but that is all."

Return to “Bad Company”