An Eye on Society (Alicia)

The son of a sitter in the House of Lords has gone missing! Obviously, Lord Godfrey Sommers would like to avoid a scandal...

Moderator: Dr. Bloodworth

Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

An Eye on Society (Alicia)

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

LADY HUNSTANTON: But do you believe all that is written in the newspapers?
LORD ILLINGWORTH: I do. Nowadays it is only the unreadable that occurs.
:: Oscar Wilde, A Woman of No Importance

Hotel de Paris, Leicester Place
June 18, 1900

Although she's been writing the occasional piece for Mr. Travisham's "newspaper" for quite some time now, Alicia couldn't help but feel out of place in the types of places he chose for his business dinners. They were always so fashionable - so upper-class. She could always feel the eyes of the other patrons on her while she was there. She made her way across the crowded room, surrounded by some of the cream of London's society crop, to the table in the back where Travisham sat. He always chose the ones in the back. Where he could watch everyone else.

As she approached the table, Abner Travisham stood and pulled her chair out for her.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: An Eye on Society (Alicia)

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Thank you." says Alicia, as she sits down at the table.
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

As they are seated, Mr. Travisham takes a sip from his port and reaches across the table to take a folder from Alicia. He lights his cigar thoughtfully and then asks, "Would you like anything, my dear?" After waiting for Alicia's answer, Travisham looks over the article and says, "This really is quite brilliant, you know."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Maybe a glass of white wine would be nice," says Alicia. "I'm glad you're happy with the article. I was quite pleased with how it turned out."
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Far and away of a much more decidedly literary bent than anything else we run! I fear your talents may be wasted writing for the likes of The Spy. Oh, to be sure, I have no delusions about the, ahh, less than stellar reputation my paper has." Travisham puffs on his cigar and takes another sip of his port as he continues. "London gossip is unfortunately rather dull at the moment. That man over there," he points to a man dining with a few others, "Lord Alexander Chilston, he's been seen a few times in the company of an East End woman of low repute, but you can say the same about many of the 'Lords' in this room, I dare say. Have you heard any interesting gossip in your circles, Alicia?"
OOC,You can basically create whatever rumors you'd like.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Not so much, I'm afraid," says Alicia, looking at the table Travisham points towards, "though I have heard hints of certain unfortunate medical problems starting to afflict some members of the Dawe family of Kensington. The sort of medical problems that have a rather - shall we say - embarrassing origin, which any family in society would rather not acknowledge, somewhat similar to the case you've just mentioned."
OOC,Hinting at syphillis here, in case that's not really obvious :)
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Yes, a rather unfortunate bit of that sort of... condition in our fair city, isn't there?" Alicia's wine arrives. "Ahh, yes... from what I hear, we have some newcomers in our midst. Agents of the Tsar of Russia, I hear, from the Okhrana. Searching for some Russian noblewoman wanted for some unnamed crimes. What an interesting story that could make! Some of my contacts are combing the city for more information on that bit, I can tell you!"
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Really?" says Alicia, interested in the Russian story, as she reaches out for her wine. "Do you know who the Russian noblewoman might be, or is it all still very hush hush?"
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Well, they've been asking quite a bit about a Countess Bogdansky, but I've not heard of anyone by that name in London. Perhaps she masquerades under another.

"Are you familiar with Peter Blaylock?"
OOC,Idea roll.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3230154/]Idea roll (stat 75%) re Peter Blaylock (1d100=93)[/url]
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Seeing from the puzzled look on her face that she isn't, Travisham continues: "No matter. He's quite a wealthy young man, and his father owns part of the Blaylock & Ives import and export firm. At any rate, Peter recently returned home after graduating from Oxford. I've gathered word that he was in a fight with an old friend of his, to the extent that the police were called! To make matters more salacious, Peter's not been seen about town since.

"If you're up for it, I'd like you to do some checking around and see if you can find out what's afflicted young Mr. Blaylock."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Yes of course, I could do that. I'm intrigued already." says Alicia.
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Splendid, splendid," Travisham says. "I'm sure that it will help to put his mother's mind at ease a bit. Peter's father, I believe, is out of the country at present and has no idea that misfortune has befallen his son." He pulls out his pocketwatch and glances at it. "Alas, my dear, I fear the time has come for me to depart," he says, casting his eyes about the room one last time. "Another appointment, I'm afraid... o-ho! Speak of the devil and he shall appear!" Travisham points toward another table, where a few men and a lady sit, talking about something.
OOC,Make a Know roll to see if you recognize to whom Travisham is pointing.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3233550/]Know roll (stat 50%) re people sitting at other table in Hotel de Paris (1d100=97)[/url]
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"It's Lord Godfrey Sommers, sitter on the House of Lords. And in the company of a solicitor, no less," Travisham says, and Alicia can practically see the wheels turning in his head, formulating all sorts of sordid tales. "His son, Arthur, was a friend of his... and, actually, the friend with whom Peter had his falling-out. Perhaps we had better go say hello." He smiles wickedly.

And with that, you can start posting on the "Investigation Begins" thread.

Return to “Bad Company”