A Meeting and a Problem (Reginald/Richard/Maud)

The son of a sitter in the House of Lords has gone missing! Obviously, Lord Godfrey Sommers would like to avoid a scandal...

Moderator: Dr. Bloodworth

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: A Meeting and a Problem (Reginald/Richard/Maud)

Post by aine »

Maud hides a smile at the two men sizing each other up. "How do you do Mr Cupp? I'm Miss Maud Marrick." she bows her head in greeting and wonders at the gentleman's dusty dress.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Gary stands and nods towards Maud, "Very fine, thank you. A pleasure to meet you miss Marrick. Please call me Gary ." and he sits back down.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I take it you are a friend of Arthur's, Gary," says Reg. "I've never met him, but I know Lord Godfrey Sommers from the Sudan. Arthur seems to have disappeared on the night of June 10, following an altercation with one of his oldest friends, Peter Blaylock, who has taken ill. Perhaps you've met him too? Arthur has been frequenting the West End theatre and music hall scene of late. The last people to see him were his landlord, Giles, and his upstairs neighbor, a violinist named Mr. Borelli. To make matters worse, Lord Godfrey received a note four days ago written by an unknown blackmailer demanding 3,000 pounds - yet the blackmailer did not show up to collect the money." He scracthes his chin. "Where did the blackmailer say to meet, and at what time? Though he - or she - never appeared there, the location and the time of day might tell us something. The blackmailer may have chosen a place convenient to home or place of business."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc Handy,oh man can you pic a different font color? Yellow on light blue hurts my eyes every time I look at it. ;)
"My God," Gary responds a bit too loud drawing some attention. After a second, when people go back to their own business, he continues in a more civil tone. "My apologies, this is just a shock. What have the police done about this? To answer your question, yes Arthur was a friend. I mean not close, but friends. He was an assistant in an architect drawing class at University. We met several times after class to discuss a wide range of topics. We might have been closer if not for Pete... I mean Mr. Blaylock. We never saw eye to eye on my direction of studies." Gary stopped, pausing for a few seconds trying to take in everything said so far. He then pulls a small book out of his coat pocket and then a wooden pencil and began to write notes.
"Please tell me everything including what the police said. June tenth, that was over a week ago. Then four days before the ransom note was received, then they didn't show up to pick up the ransom? Very odd. I'll need to see the note of course I can run some tests on it. Sir Binet has made some wonderful breakthroughs on handwriting analysis, and we need to visit Arthur's flat."
He pauses another second and then says, "Sir I would not worry too much about them not picking up the ransom, I think it very possible this is not a kidnap for blackmail. It is possible someone else is trying to profit off this unfortunate event. I'll need more proof to substantiate my hypothesis of course. Who knew Arthur was missing between June 10th and the 14th?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm sorry. It's orange, but I'll use a darker shade from now on. Is this better?

"Lord Godfrey would not have wanted to involve the police," explains Reg. "Doing so would also mean a terrible scandal. So he has called us here to ask for our help instead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Richard sneered quietly to himself as Gary entered, it was uncivilized to be unkempt and let the lord wait ... but there was something with the anxious student, he was eager to help and compensate for his rudeness for being late.
Richard decides to study the young man so he kept silence, hearing what the man will come up with and then he will share his knowledge with the man’s ideas.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Of course, we wouldn't want a scandal," Gary responded. "I'm rambling, sorry. Please let me know what you have come up with so far."

ooc,yea the darker orange is better. Thx, not trying to be a tool, that light orange just jabbed daggers in my eyes.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud looks at the newcomer in wonder. "My goodness Mr Cupp, I mean, Gary. You really do know a lot about investigating. You've barely sat down and already know more about it than I do. I applaud your genius. And I agree with you about borrowing the key to visit the flat."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We were informed just before you arrived that they had destroyed the letter after they resolved to pay the blackmailer," Reg tells Gary, "but a key to Arthur's flat had been enclosed with it as proof. If we could have that key, that might help. There may be more hints as to his whereabouts and what has befallen him there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Gary smiles sheepishly at Maud, "Miss I doubt if I know more about it than you, but like any good investigation a hypothesis should put forth and then evidence gathered to either prove or disprove said hypothesis. That is a shame about the letter Reg. It could have proved useful, but again I think it is either an opportunist or used as a diversionary tactic to slow down any investigation. I would propose we build a complete time-line. Of all the events. This would give us a clearer picture of when things happened."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is a shame that the letter is no more," says Reg. "I had asked to see it to before you arrived. Still, Clarence here did notice that the writer seemed to be under some sort of duress, and we do have several avenues of investigation to follow. Perhaps we should assemble the evidence first and then come up with a hypothesis to explain it. Otherwise, we are merely speculating, and our speculations may distort our view of the evidence. A timeline is a good idea, and we have the basics of it, but there is much more to learn."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud thinks for a moment. "I think I can possibly start the time line. I last saw Arthur two weeks ago. He was looking haggard; he blamed it on a late night drinking bout but now I'm not so sure. He also mentioned a woman he'd met, I got the impression he was romantically involved and was considering marriage." She shrugs.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well a key is hardly evidence of kidnapping. But I agree lets look at all the evidence. What exactly made you first realize Arthur had gone missing?" Gary asked.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

You can add another hypothesis to your list, my boy
Richard say to Gary and then turns to Lord Godfrey

Without any intentions to insult you my good lord as I do not question the education Arthur received from you but…
Richard say, choosing his words carefully.

What are the chances that Arthur is in need for money or is in trouble and tries to fake his own abduction?
Trying to guide the lord for answers to neglect the possibility of a mischief by Arthur
When you last met, did he had any signs of stress or tried to cover a personal stress of some sort?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"I think we need to gather all the evidence first. Arthur was a good man. He may have gotten himself mixed up into something over his head, but lets not jump to conclusions just yet. Is there anymore I missed for my being late? And sir you did mention you received a note, how was the note delivered?" Gary asked.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"The note and the key were simply left on our doorstep one morning," says Lord Godfrey, sliding the key across the table towards the party. "As I said, I myself haven't been to Arthur's flat, but both Mr. Clarence and the police said that nothing appeared out of place. When last I saw him, Arthur seemed generally alright - a bit the worse for wear, as Miss Marrick says, but I had assumed this to be the result of late nights with the, ahh, bad sort he had been consorting with. And to corroborate another part of Miss Marrick's story, he did mention in his last letter that he had met some woman. Some actress, I'd imagine." He sighs. "Do not worry about giving offense, Richard... I suppose that is a possibility we must consider. I'd of course rather that it weren't so, but... and in answer to your question, Reg, the meeting with the blackmailer was to take place in Wellclose Square, off Leman Street."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud frowns. "Leman st, Leman st. That's Aldgate isn't it? A really scruffy part of town; I wouldn't like to walk around there with £3000 in my pocket. I was just thinking my Lord. It's a long shot but I know a few people in the theatre business from my tours. I could discreetly ask around for any word on Arthur."
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Aldgate, yes -- not quite so bad as some parts, but on the edge of the East End. And certainly, ask around and see if you can find out anything more, Miss Marrick -- the more working on this, the better. I trust in your discretion on this matter, however."

Mr. Clarence speaks up. "Lord Godfrey, I really should be leaving now," he says as he glances at his watch and crushes out his cigar. "I told my wife I'd be home, and believe me, the murderers and thieves I normally deal with are positively easy going compared to her once she's angered."

"Very well, Clarence." The solicitor shakes hands with Lord Godfrey and the assembled party, rises, and leaves. "I believe we may be finishing up here; are there any other questions?" Lord Godfrey asks. Then he looks up towards two people walking in this direction -- a mustached man with short dark hair, accompanied by a young woman who looks somewhat out of her element. Lord Godfrey whispers to the party, "Abner Travisham, troublemaker extraordinaire. Try to say as little as possible of what is going on here. We don't need him getting any more ideas about what was going on here than he likely already has."

Move to the "Investigation Begins" thread.

Return to “Bad Company”