A Meeting and a Problem (Reginald/Richard/Maud)

The son of a sitter in the House of Lords has gone missing! Obviously, Lord Godfrey Sommers would like to avoid a scandal...

Moderator: Dr. Bloodworth

Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

A Meeting and a Problem (Reginald/Richard/Maud)

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial.
:: Shakespeare, Othello

Hotel de Paris, Leicester Place
Friday, June 18, 1900

It is a warm day in late June, and the sky is still lit with the orangish glow of the setting sun. The clop of horse's hooves on the streets is beginning to die down as more and more people, their business for the day completed, make their way home. Cigar smoke fills the interior of the fashionable restaurant off Leicester Square, where three people of diverse backgrounds and social standings sit around a table, awaiting the arrival of a fourth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: A Meeting and a Problem (Reginald/Richard/Maud)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reginald Smythe surveys the two strangers seated at his table. The big, muscular man is over six and a half feet tall. Even seated, he towers over the others. Though he has a rough face, it is broken by a friendly smile. "Good evening," he says. "I'm Reg Smythe. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting either of you before."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Richard Maurice is the name.
Richard nods to the two others. The man is dressed with a black suit with buttoned white shirt underneath it. A moment ago he handed a brimmed hat to the waiter. A mechanical clock hangs loosely from his suit pocket, indicating the man to be a wealthy man. He taps with a walking stick on the floor as he takes a sip from the glass of wine he ordered. The small framed man is adult – reaching his fifties with a sparse salt and pepper hair and shaved face.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

The lady has arrived last, slightly rushed. She looks surprised at seeing the two seated gentlemen and sends a questioning look to the maitre'd. He shrugs and she seats herself at the table."Good evening. I'm Maud Marrick. Pleasure to meet you both. Are you here to meet Lord Godfrey?" She looks about late-twenties, nicely but sensibly dressed and carries a slightly larger bag than normal for most ladies.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The pleasure is entirely mine," says Reg. "Yes, that's right, I'm here to meet Lord Godfrey. I take it that he has also asked you to join him this evening?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Rising from his seat with a slight bow and a kiss to the lady's hand Richard confirms that he was invited by the Lord to the meeting.
Yes, I am. The lord is a business friend
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

I was a little surprised at seeing two gentlemen at the table but I haven't met Lord Godfrey before so I don't know what he looks like. I'm really only a friend of his son, Arthur Sommers."
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

A somewhat haughty-looking man - clearly of the highest caliber of upper-class - with a walking stick rushes in, accompanied by a second man, a nearly nondescript middle-aged man in a dapper suit. This man is attempting to help the man with the stick to his seat, but he will have none of it. Lord Godfrey, for this is who the man with the stick is, jerks his arm away from the other man and mumbles to himself. He seats himself opposite you and the dapper man sits in an adjacent chair.

"My apologies for running a bit late," he says. "These old legs aren't exactly what they used to be. My name, lady and gentlemen, is Lord Godfrey Sommers" - he shakes the hand of each of the assembled in turn - "and this is my solicitor, Mr. Clarence. I apologize once more for being so cryptic in the note I sent you. Have any of you any questions before we begin?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's good to see you again, Lord Godfrey," says Reg. "I have questions, but I don't really know enough about the situation to know which ones I should ask. It's probably best if you explain it first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

RIchard Maurice

Lord Godfrey, it is pleasant to see you again after so many years.
Mr. Maurice, again, rises up his from his seat to welcome the older and respected lord with a firm shake. He nods to the solicitor and turns to the lord again.
First of all, how’s the Miss, is she in a good shape like the lord himself?

After finishing with the politeness Richard add
I’m very intriguing to know what help can I provide for the lord?
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Lord Godfrey returns Richard's shake with all the vigor of his younger years - apparently, he's lost relatively little of his strength with age - and says, "Maggie's doing just fine, thank you for asking."

He turns a bit dour and concerned. "The matter concerns not me, but my son, Arthur. I believe Miss Marrick here is the only one acquainted with Arthur?" He clears his throat and continues. "He had been becoming estranged for quite some time - sounded preoccupied in his letters and whatnot. I presumed it to be just a young man making his own place in society, away from the shadow of his father." He looks distant. "Apparently, there had been some sort of altercation on the night of June 10, the night he... ahh... disappeared." A sigh. "We had matters swept under the rug, as it were - I want to avoid a scandal, obviously - I -" He begins to weep.

"As you can imagine, this affair has weighed heavily on Lord Godfrey's mind," says Clarence, the solicitor. "At any rate, there had been rumors that Arthur had been associating with some unsavory characters in the West End theaters. Four days ago, we received a note. The man, if man it indeed was, hinted as to Arthur's fate if he did not get the 3,000 pounds for which he asked. Dark hints. He enclosed a key to Arthur's flat by way of proof, so we're obviously quite certain the writer, whoever they are, was indeed there." He looks over towards Lord Godfrey, who is still weeping with his head down. "We resolved to pay the blackmailer. But when I arrived at the appointed place and time, no one appeared to claim the money. And in the last three days, there has been no contact from either the blackmailer, or from Arthur."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Maud reaches over the table and takes Lord Godfrey's hand. "Dear Lord Godfrey, this is terrible news indeed, these last few days must have been awful for you. I can't believe the rumours; Arthur always had you uppermost in his mind in all he did; everything was done with the utmost propriety. However, I'm not sure it could be a straight-forward kidnapping. I last saw Arthur nearly two weeks ago and, I'm afraid to say, he didn't look his normal exuberant self."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry to hear that, Lord Godfrey," says Reg, a concerned expression on his face. "Of course I'll do my utmost to help locate your son and extricate him from these terrible circumstances. Do you still have the note? It might help if we could examine it. The choice of words may reveal something about the writer's mindset. Perhaps the handwriting can tell us something about whoever wrote it. I've read the Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Arthur Conan Doyle, and Holmes does that sort of thing. He'd be able to tell by the writing whether the writer was a man or a woman, whether he or she was left or right-handed, things like that. Of course, I'm not a handwriting expert, and we wouldn't want to show it to anyone not at this table."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"I agree with Reg, my Lord. We must find any clue we can from the letter." She stops for a moment to imagine Reg with calabash and deerstalker, and shakes her head. "Do you know of any other friends of Arthur's who may have seen him? Um," Maud looks shy, "What about his new lady friend? And have you been to his flat?"
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

"Thank you, my dear," says Lord Godfrey as he dabs at his eyes with a napkin. "Arthur not well? Was it poison, Miss Marrick? In the last few months, he had gone through quite an exhorbitant amount of his allowance, and quite quickly, too. Perhaps when Arthur ceased paying this person, they poisoned my boy..." Mr. Clarence motions for Lord Godfrey to cease this line of thinking. "Yes, of course. Thank you again for your help these past few days, Clarence. As to the letter, Reg, we destroyed it after we had resolved to pay the blackmailer. Mr. Clarence, however, did feel that the writing was similar to things he's seen from people under some form of duress.

"The last person to see him was a man named Giles, the landlord of his building in Islington. And presumably Mr. Borelli, a violinist who lives above him. Other than that, I'm afraid not. I'm not too familiar, after all, with the theater and music hall scene Arthur had been frequenting of late. The altercation to which I referred was on the night he vanished... with one of his oldest and closest friends, Peter Blaylock... I'm not quite sure what it was about. Apparently, Peter has taken ill. I fear I've not been to his flat personally; I just can't bring myself to go."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perfectly understandable," says Reg. "We can certainly pay him a visit. We may learn more from talking to Giles and Mr. Borelli too. All of this is very curious. It does seem that the blackmailer was being manipulated or coerced in some way by some third party, perhaps by being blackmailed as well. Could be that the blackmailer tried to break free of this controlling influence and thus did not show up to collect the payment."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Resting his arm on the Lord’s shoulder Richard tries to comfort the lord.
I will try my best to help you by supplying any of my resources
An experienced man as me that knows how to negotiate will prove useful to find Arthur.
He motions for the waiter to bring a cup of water and a glass of wine for the lord, clearly the man needs to drain his sorrow with a drink and calm down.

He turns to Reg and Maud and nods in agreement
So we have a close friend, a violinist, a landlord and a theatre to check
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

About this time a young man comes into the hotel out of breath and looking around while also trying to open his pocket watch. While his clothes seem to indicate he comes from money, he is unkempt and you can see a smudge of something on his face. His dark hair is cut short but not combed properly. His shoes look dusty, but not from lack of use. The dust appears closer to saw dust, though it does look like he spent a couple seconds trying to wipe them clean.
He appears to be arguing with the concierge of the hotel for a minute before the young man digs around in about 3 different pockets pulling out small pieces of paper and then shoving them back in before finally pulling out a fine looking card similar to the ones you received.

After looking at the card, the concierge appears to be in slight disbelief before pointing towards your table. You hear the concierge say something about introducing you, but it is difficult to hear from this distance. But you do hear the young man say "No thank you, I'll be fine."

Gary walks up to your table. He is about 6 feet high and appears to be in good physical shape and stronger than your average man. "I apologize for my lateness Lord Sommers, sometimes I lose track of time in my workshop. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Arthur always spoke so highly of you. Gary Cupp, how may I be of service sir. But I was not expecting this..." as he looks around the table. "Sirs, Miss." Gary has a bit of a confused look on his face realizing for the first time this might not be Arthur's father throwing a birthday or engagement party for his son, which is what he had assumed.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good evening, Mr. Cupp," says Reg. He looks even bigger and stronger than Gary, about a head taller. "I'm Reg Smythe."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Sir, it is a pleasure to meet you," Gary responds, while pulling up a chair and taking a seat. "I'm sorry I'm late, can you catch me up on what is going on?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Bad Company”