In media res - INCURSION (All players in Team Bravo)

Background and previous chapters.

Moderator: Dave Syrinx

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

In media res - INCURSION (All players in Team Bravo)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Outside the briefing room

In front of an UC banner, a female director´s clerk welcomes Team Bravo to a formal mission briefing. Sgt Ferrer is nowhere to be seen but it´s not uncommon that he meet up in the chopper when it lifts off.

"Welcome! Five hours ago in the Hive, a top-secret genetic research lab located in the basement of Raccoon City, there was an alarming situation and in response, the artificial intelligence that controls the complex, known as "The Red Queen" went ballistic, sealed the entire plant, killing all employees and visitors.

Umbrella Corporation, owner of the Beehive, has sent two of its teams UBCS The first, the Alpha team, penetrate into the complex to find out what happened. The second, the Bravo team, you have to rescue the directors of the Beehive, the only survivors of the disaster, and retrieve biological samples have been taken with them. No report so far from team Alpha.
We expect things to go as planned. Debriefing by team leaders when the missions are accomplished.

Now, to the specifics:"

The banner on the wall fades away and a wire frame map of a large building appears. Short headings also appear and the clerk starts the briefing.

The Briefing

She watches the assembled team and adds. "All this information is stored in Larsen´s computer." "Good luck and bring those samples in!"

All gear for the mission is placed against the wall in the hallway outside the briefing room. The sound from a helicopter warming up the engines can be heard from above. Standard procedure is to gear up before entering the transport and to check that all equipment is operational.

Crawford puts on her digital watch and communications equipment before picking up her mini binoculars. She peeks through them towards Larsen , You are the tech expert, what do you think happened to the Red Queen? She lowers the binoculars and opens her first aid kit to see if everything is there.

Larsen collects his gear too, taking special care with his laptop. "I think the Red Queen is simply obeying her programming all too well," he says. "There is no such thing as a true Artificial Intelligence that is capable of independent thought the way humans are. All computer programs, no matter how sophisticated, can only do what their programmers have instructed them. An emergency situation arose in the Beehive where a biological hazard has breached containment. The Red Queen is programmed to stop it from spreading. Her solution to the problem is a cold and calculating one, completely devoid of human emotion. She has decided that the best solution is to enforce a lockdown in order to contain the biohazard, and then to exterminate all human life in the quarantine area. If this is a virus we're dealing with here, then she must have realized that it cannot survive without a host, so she has taken it upon herself to kill all potential hosts. She wasn't programmed with respect for human life, so she doesn't have any. That means she'll do her damnedest to kill us too."

C.L. glances over his gear and closely inspecting the gargantuan five kilogram C-4 explosive charge. "Haven't been able to play with this much in quite a while," he gleamed "Should be some nice fireworks later." Looking around at the others he pulls out a cigarette and lights it.

Hale
rummages through her gear and extracts a flexible touch-pad screen. She punches the pad and yanks up her gear bag and starts for the door. "Yo, got a beacon, here! They are kicking!" She waves the pad at the others. "Cool, we can order pizza with this when we´re finished!"

The others catch a glimpse of the city map as she leaves the briefing room.

The five members of Bravo Team exit with their gear. In the corridor a desk clerk arrives with a piece of paper and hands it to Crawford.
You get your protective suits on and take the lift up to the roof. There a twin rotor helicopter stand at full alert for take-off. You clamber inside and it leaves Raccoon´s newest apartment building spinning below.

The double propeller helicopter transport crosses the night sky at full speed. The aircraft, all black and with no lights on and with its rotors in silent mode, makes it almost undetectable from the ground.

The pilot's voice resonates with a snap over the intercom:
"Be prepared Team Bravo. ETA in five minutes."

The cargo hold has a blue light. Each of you are sitting with your backs against a wall on either side of the cargo hold while you prepare your gear. On the wall dividing the cargo from the rest of the heli, a small flat screen shows all mission data. These last minutes are left to review the information you have : the tracking beacon you have on the two directors of the Beehive, the plans of the mall, the last footage from the security cameras inside the mall. The latter are interesting, they show in grainy black and white as the metal shutters of stores and entrances as people fall down the floor, apparently unconscious. You have no confirmation of whether all these people are alive or dead, but in the light of what happened at the Beehive, it seems that the Red Queen has taken extreme measures. You must be prepared for the worst. But the truth is that you never seen such a disaster in the hands of Umbrella Corporation. It is necessary to cover this situation up, and the high-powered explosive charge that you carry with you will be essential to complete the mission.

There´s no sign of Ferrer yet but you haven´t checked the cockpit. A security officer sits by the cargo door next to the flat screen and he´s been watching you grudgingly. He´s only muttered and replied in short words when spoken to. From his name tag you can read: NOHMAN

C.L. pulled the heavy cargo bay doors shut when the helicopter spun free from the roof top.
Attachments
newbg-1.jpg
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Re: In media res - INCURSION

Post by Dave Syrinx »

With a sense of relief, Crawford leans back. "We will see Ferrer soon." she says before glaring at the flatscreen quietly. I wonder what was so important about that meeting...
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The team relaxes as the pilot's voice resounds again:
" Bravo Team Leader. Go to the cabin. Mission Control wants to talk to you privately."

Nohman, the hard-featured guard, grey haired and a senior to you all, rises from his post without speaking, enters the door that leads to the control cabin of the transport helicopter. This makes you exchange a worried look.
Nohman... Nohman ...

More than a year ago you all were part of this U.BC.S.team and from the first day, the team leader has always been sergeant Ferrer. He´s a competent leader who you trust completely. Now it seems that HQ replaced him at the helm with Nohman, who doesn´t know anything about your team.
How are you supposed to act competently with a new crew chief with whom you have never worked?
And what with the attitude, not introducing himself as your team leader? Just sitting there waiting?

Larsen gets up a plan for the mall on his laptop.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Inside the cockpit

Nohman
enters from the cargo hold. The Bravo team members having just got the news that their boss has been replaced by a new team leader. The radio chatter and mission commands calls. "Bravo Team leader, respond"

"Nohman, here."

"This is mission control. Make sure you check your bio-masks before the landing zone. Locate the directors. Access to the hive system can be obtained from the elevator room or the ventilation hub at the roof. Get footage from inside the mall and make sure you get a good placement for the explosives. We´ve added an operative from overseas to assist you."

A third person in the cabin turns to Nohman and salutes. A name tag identifies him as Roy Batty. Being on a special mission all the way from overseas, Rudholf Weissgeir had to pick a name to blend in with the fellow operatives. Roy Batty was a cliche from an old Sci-Fi flick, but he could live with it.
Adjusting the NVG googles over his helmet, he salutes the new team leader. While the helicopter start its engines and the rotators start running, he shouts in Nohman´s ear.
"Welcome aboard,Herr Nohman.I'm Rudholf,but you can call me just "Rud".I'll be your shadow,sir.Any problems with the guys..." He lands two punches in the rear of the cabin. "...I´ll be with you. Let's get inside and make what we are paid for sir".
Again, he starts checking the equipment while the helicopter start its ride, an old habit that i got from his old Afghan-duties.
During the ride, he attaches his microphone to the helicopter´s system to talk without shouting to Nohman.
"Sir,what our shooting polices?We are on a "Search and Rescue" mission,right?If we find something wrong,we got shoot-to-kill permissions?"

Nohman signs off the radio and grunts at Weissgeir. "We most certainly will acting on a safety protocol. Anything hostile - shoot to immobilize. Should the situation call for it use your training as guideline. As I understand it your job is to watch my back, son. Do that and we´ll be just fine." He puts his suit on, but keeps the mask off. He watches Rud prepare his suit. "Anything else before I hand out the landing orders to the team?"

Weissgeir smiles a bit trying to pierce the eyes of Nohman to capture the feelings of the team leader "No sir,nothing to ask." When the heli start flying, Rud light a cigarette while putting on the suit. The mask is off until the last moment on the roof and the HK is on his legs, charged and on full auto. This gonna be a nice day, Rud.. he mutters to himself.
When the cigarette is finished, the mask is put on and his eyes are closed until the heli touches the roof.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

In the cargo hold

Nohman
comes back through the door. At the same time the lighting in the cargo goes from blue to scarlet.

"Get ready!"

Nohman, now suddenly acting as a team leader focused on the mission, taking like a military veteran.

"I´m Sergeant Nohman, your appointed team leader. Mission control has our position and I want you to check your biohazard masks. I hope we will work well together."
He takes hold of a metal rung by the door to the cabin. The next phrases that come from Nohman are forcefully voiced at the team.

"Hale! When we touch down we want to use the scanner to locate the position of Smith and Sanchez.

Larsen! Before entering the building we want to know the situation inside. Get pictures off of the network of surveillance cameras down below.

CL! You'll cover Larsen.

Collins! Need to know if there are traces of biohazardous agents in the area of the roof. Keep me informed at all times.

Crawford! Look for an access point to the second floor and secure the roof."

The orders are clearly heard to the pilot and Rud inside the cockpit.
TVblog

shanaz
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by shanaz »

Crawford adjusts her suit and mask, feeling nervous with the change of team leaders. Ferrer never let us down before. How will this mission turn out? She clears her head and stands up. "Understood Sir." She waits for the signal to leave the chopper.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Sergeant," says Larsen. He checks his own mask while he brings up information about the mall on his laptop. If there's one thing he does well, it's multitasking. "There are two locations on the roof from which I can interface with the mall's camera network. There's the elevator control system in the northwest and the climate control system in the south. Both are in rooms accessible from the roof. I recommend we decide which one to use based on the locations where Hale gets a fix on the directors. We can save time by minimizing the distance we'll need to go to get to whichever of them is closer."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Iggy_Pop
Layman
Layman

Post by Iggy_Pop »

CL checks his mask before equipping his .50 cal pistol, glancing at it and questioning with a smart-arse tone "What are the chances that I will really need this? It's a computer that is the problem right?"
Samuraiante
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Samuraiante »

After Hale checks her Mask, she glances up why are they staring at me, oh right... Hale looks down at the device she is wearing and mumbles to herself "Well then let me have a look, hmmm ya so if i push that and this, whats that. Oh right its mac'donalds got ya, i see now yep.." Hale without looking up "i wont be a minute" and Smiles
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Nohman replies sourly to the comments, "Alpha team has failed to report back. I doubt this is only a computer glitch, Lienhoff! In my book, you are not only extracting the directors - you´re also looking for evidence where team Alpha went missing. And guys, keep those masks on. That might be what stalled our first team."

"If you don´t get a good reading, soon, Hale. You´ll wind up as a side dish at the burger joint!"

After tuning the tracker correctly at the building they are closing in on, Hale gets a weak signal indicating the whole mall. The conclusion is that they are somewhere within the block of buildings beneath the heli. No indication on vital signs. One odd thing, though. A reading from the roof indicates movement from a building next to the south edge of the roof. The area holds the climate control room. Close to this area is an elevator leading to the private areas of the stores. On the opposite side of the roof, in the north east, an elevator to the mall´s public area is located.

Without waiting for a reply, Nohman fastens his harness on ropes for descent. "The helicopter transport will remain at about ten meters from the roof and we descend by rope to the roof!"
The loading ramp begins to open. A howling wind comes into the bay while emergency lights goes on in the cargo hold.

Through the headset in your ear hear the voice of the pilot:
"The roof is clear. Bravo team good luck."

In position near the open ramp, you stare out in the cold night, below you the broad roof of the mall. From here you can even see the police road blocks in the streets near the building. Luckily, the mall is in an open area, no adjacent buildings.

Nohman's voice echoes in the ear phones.
"Let´s get down!"

Inside the cockpit

Scrambling out of his seat next to the pilot, Weissgeir mumbles, "Cover my ass - he says then he jumps the heli! Is this guy for real?"

The cargo hold

The team in the cargo hold barely has time to fasten the ropes, before Nohman descends quickly. Agile with his knees bent on the impact he regains his balance without any effort and unclips the rope. Two searchlights from the helicopter covers the roof and it seems empty as promised.

Weissgeir steps through the cabin door just as the sergeant jumps. The eyes of team Bravo turns towards the new arrival.
TVblog

shanaz
Layman
Layman

Post by shanaz »

Stunned by the way things are turning out for the mission so far, Crawford grabs a rope and attaches it to herself. She looks at the original team with a slightly worried look before turning and following the leader.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Larsen also hooks a rope to himself and double checks that his mask is on securely. When his turn comes, he too climbs down to the roof.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Iggy_Pop
Layman
Layman

Post by Iggy_Pop »

CL attaches himself to the helicopter rope and slides down to the mall roof. Upon his feet landing he swiftly retrieves his pistol from it's holster and scans the roof for threats laughing at the thought of how there couldn't possibly be anything here that would require a bullet.
Dadde2819
Layman
Layman

Post by Dadde2819 »

When Weissinger touches the roof,he puts himself in a cover position watching the back of the team.
As the situation calm down and nothing moves,he takes a more relaxed posture and move near the other teamates.
Sector clear”.
Watching the team positioning and waiting for an order,the heartbeats start increasing and the blood pressure make him nervous.With a snake-voice he says :”c’mon lads,I don’t want stay on this roof for the whole day..”.He starts moving to the first available door aiming at it with the weapon without waiting a team response.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Collins ropes down after Weiss, watching the team leader standing tall on the roof waiting for the team to gain access to the mall.
Hale makes the last descent to the roof. She sees the others spread out and watches Weiss declare the roof clear. She takes time to check the scanner.

Crawford clearly hears a banging from the closest structure on the roof. According to the map it´s the climate central. She moves forward with his rifle ready to shoot, leaning on the shoulder, so that the beam sweeps the way she goes. Behind her, Collins is walking at the same pace, illuminating the front and from time to time, sweeping his back to protect the rear. Using the medical scanner, Collins receives a clear signal from inside the steel door of the climate central. All vital signs are good. The person inside needs to be tested, though. A blood sample analysis will clear if the person is affected by the gas or not .

The readings collected are completely normal, no biohazardous agents or abnormal concentrations of gases in the area. Anyway, this may not mean anything, Collins is well aware that on the roof the gas would dissipate quickly. In the closed environment inside the mall they can find the gas if it´s still there.

Larsen, with C.L. covering his back with the .50 comes to the door of the climate control room located close by where they landed.

The door is metal and has a magnetic lock, as most of the center. Next to the handle is an LED illuminated red. As you approach, the proximity of the access card that you carry with you should make it change to green. That is not the case. It remains red. The two now also hear the banging from within. Clearly a survivor has made it to this location and can´t get out. In the attempt to bypass the electric lock, this person must have shut it down somehow. There are also metal levers keeping the doors shut. A quite simple maneuver, from outside will get the jammed door open.

Hale gets a reading on the scanner that the targets are indeed in this building. On what floor is unclear. The team needs to get inside to get a good location of the directors.

In a collaborate effort, C.L. at last gets the door mechanism open for the team. He gets the door open and inside an old man in an overall greets team Bravo with a large wrench in hand. He looks weary but unhurt.

Larsen swiftly passes the maintenance guy to find a computer to hook in to. He Uses an electric screwdriver to open a panel and adds a cable and connects his laptop to the local network of the building. Knowing that the Red Queen controls the system he must be very careful. He hesitates before trying to hack the system.

Seeing that the team has the situation under control, Weiss heads for the closest set of doors, the elevators leading to the private areas of the mall. Nohman follows him closely.
TVblog

shanaz
Layman
Layman

Re: In media res - INCURSION (All players)

Post by shanaz »

Crawford scans the roof top quickly, then moves to the northwest. "We have three entry points sir. The southwest and these two up here." She leans against a wall next to a door marked emergency. "Hale, how far in do you think we need to go before you can find what floor they are on?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Larsen knows that hacking into the system is risky, but he can't afford not to do it and is confident in his abilities to avoid detection. He tries as surreptitiously and carefully as possible to slip into the system and gain access to the surveillance cameras without letting the Red Queen know he is there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dadde2819
Layman
Layman

Post by Dadde2819 »

After a fast control of the area near the elevators,Weiss moves to the old man.
Keeping a 3 meter distance and a ready-to-fire posture ,he swear to the old man:
“Drop the weapon!!Puts your hands behind the head!”
With the other hand ,he take out a pair of hand cuffs .
“Watchout team,possible menance.Armed and dangerous.” he wisper throught the Com.
Houngan
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Houngan »

"Whoooa...." choked Barry, as the wrench dropped to the floor with a clang. He had no idea what was happening or who these guys we're, but someone was pointing a gun at him so he was going to do what he was told. "I'm just the maintenance guy, been locked in there best part of the day" he pleaded, raising his hand into the air.
Dadde
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Dadde »

With a cold voice distorted by the gasmask,Weiss says:
“just keep your hands up and everything gonna be ok man.Move and you’re done”
Still aiming at his head,Weiss closes the distances ,take out his pistol dropping on the sling his Mp5 and move behind the mantainance guy.
When he’s behind him,Weiss uses the cuffs and block him.
IF HE MOVES,I SHOOT HIM IN A LEG.

When (if) he’s secured, Weiss take out again the mp5 aim and push him in a corner.
In the Com he says: “TL,Menance secured.He seems ok,maybe he know something.This “package” can be extracted by our Heli for further analysis and interrogation back at the HQ”.

Return to “Archives”