IC-SWORD-High Ground(Katarina/Julie/Strike Force/Jake/Clyde)

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-SWORD-High Ground(Katarina/Julie/Strike Force/Jake/Clyde)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day + 1 - 9:07 AM Mountain Time - 1 mile east and 2 miles south of Scobey, Montana
On the plateau-
Major Nelson Harris walked out from behind the helicopter, followed by Katarina and Julie. They approached Staff Sergeant Dauterive. "Sergeant Dauterive!" said the major.

Dauterive saluted. "Yes, sir?"

Clyde Bell drove the pickup truck up the trail and over the lip of the plateau at that moment. All attention suddenly turned towards the truck, and weapons swiveled in its direction, but nobody fired, perhaps because of the makeshift white flag. Now Jake could see everything that Clyde had described. The helicopter was a Huey of some sort. There were two pilots sitting in the cockpit, and nine other people were up here too. All of them were wearing body armor, and most of them were wearing Air Force uniforms. The two women following the officer were wearing civilian clothes beneath their armor: khaki trousers and white tank tops. Clyde hadn't been kidding about how beautiful they were. Jake doubted he had ever seen anyone as gorgeous as the redhead. The brunette carried a bow and a quiver of arrows on her back. The civilian women and the officer held pistols. Another woman was busy working on the helicopter's engine, though she was in uniform. One of the men lay prone, gripping a sniper rifle set up on a bipod.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-SWORD-High Ground(Katarina/Julie/Strike Force/Jake/Cl

Post by Laraqua »

Katerina pulled a grenade and held it in both hands, one finger lightly touching the rather heavy pin. She would not be taken again. Oh no. And she would kill the butchers as well. "Stop them," she muttered. If the others were to surrender (weakness), if they were to give in (cowards), then they would deserve to die (deserved...) If they fought, they might win (perhaps they want to be captured), and frighten off the others (maybe they have their sympathies), or at least die bravely rather than be subsumed by those monsters (surrender, acceptance, acquiescence ... men like dogs, obey the strongest and enjoy it). Any who looked at her might be able to see by an absence of fear in her eyes and the set of her jaw, that she would gladly kill the men approaching.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
Several of the Air Force personnel on the plateau swiveled to face the truck and point their weapons in its direction, including Major Harris. "Halt!" he shouted, then lowered his voice to a mutter. "How the hell did they get this close with nobody seeing them?"

As the truck crested the edge of the plateau, everyone could see a greasy white rag tied to the antenna. The two men within did not look like the ones who had come earlier. They had full heads of hair, and they wore no uniforms, just overalls and work shirts.

Clyde applied the brakes and the pickup truck screeched to a halt. "Whoa, whoa, don't shoot!" he shouted. "We're friends!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Pickman37 »

Jake looked over at Clyde admiring his bravery but unsure of the next move...

He laid down his carbine on the seat of the cab and raised his hands up, only pausing to open the truck door to step out. He really wished he could wipe the sweat from his brow but was unsure if any extra motion would bring down a hailstorm of gunfire...

He exited the truck and took a few steps before yelling...

"We mean no harm!" He shouted. "We lost one of our own to some Aryan bastards recently and were just lookin to find them..."

He paused and then added...

"We thought the dead would be our worse problem but that wasn't the case..."

He paused again, awaiting a response....and hoping things would proceed relatively o.k.....
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
"Well, you don't look like them," said Major Harris, pointing his pistol at the ground. "They killed one of you?"

Clyde left his own rifle in the truck's cab and emerged with his hands up. "No, sir," he said. "Abducted. A waitress named Tricia Barrett. She was fleeing from them and took shelter at our ranch. They laid siege to us, and she panicked and ran. They grabbed her and went away. You've got to help her!"

"Sir, as much as I'd like to, we have a very specific, vital mission to accomplish, and we can't vary from its parameters. If we can do something for her without endangering the mission, we will, but that doesn't seem likely right now. A few of those Nazis paid us a visit not too long ago, which is why we're a bit jumpy. There was a girl in their pickup truck, and their leader called her Tricia. Dark hair, pretty, late twenties?"

"Yeah, that sounds like her."

"It didn't look like she was afraid of these guys. The leader said she was his girl, and the way she looked at him seemed to confirm that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Katarina looked confused. Was it the same Tricia they were talking about?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
"Major, she was terrified!" insisted Clyde. "She would not have gone with them willingly. Maybe she's suffering from that...whaddayacallit? Stockholm Syndrome?"

"If that's the case," said Major Harris, "that only makes it even more impossible. You can't rescue someone who doesn't want to be rescued. My suggestion is that you steer well clear of these guys. They're heavily armed, and there are a lot more of them than there are of you. There's nothing that can be done."

"Dammit, you can't just leave her to them!" He shook his head.

"Son, we tried," said Jake, putting a hand on Clyde's shoulder. "You heard the man. Let's get back to the others. Though I don't look forward to breaking the news to Lara. I saw the look in that girl's eyes when she realized they had Tricia and there was nothing she could do for her."

"Wait, did you say Lara?" asked the major. "What's her last name?"

"Something Russian," said Clyde. "Voronova, that's it."

"You know Lara Voronova?"

"Know her? She's waiting for us back in Flaxville with the rest of the folks from the ranch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I will go with you," said Katarina. "Lara is my friend. We should go back to this ranch. The helicopter is broken and *this man*" - she points in the direction of one of the men - "told the other men they should come and attack us soon. They have many men and big guns."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
Major Nelson Harris reacted slowly, but Sergeant Dauterive was even slower. "Dammit!" shouted the major, swiveling to face the sergeant and leveling his pistol at him. "Drop your weapon, sergeant! I'm placing you under arrest!"

Larry Dauterive slowly lowered his M4 to the ground and raised his hands. "Sir, she's got it all wrong!" he protested.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"They want to wait, think we have time, but we not have time," said Katarina, inwardly pleased that she forced their hand. "They come soon. What we do? There not enough people and our stealth plan not work. Please I go with you?" She knew it was cowardly but she had a bad feeling about being out here in the open. "That man as good as sell me to them. Point out I'm pretty. He rapist." She says the last bit with a derisive snort. "Or want to be." She'd half planned to take that man out with her when the racists came out for her but at this stage she just wanted to live.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
"That's a damn lie!" drawled Dauterive.

"Save it for your court-martial, Dauterive!" barked the major. "Sergeant Valdez, Airman Winters, disarm him and take him into custody!" Jessica and Marcus advanced and did as ordered. Dauterive offered no resistance. Once the prisoner was secured, Major Harris turned to face Katarina, though his features did not soften. "That was not a very smart move, Ms. Iliescu. You tipped him off that we were onto him before I was ready. He could have caused a lot of damage if he'd been so inclined. Please try to think things through before you speak or act. Now, you want to go to your friend Lara in Flaxville. That's a good idea. I need to talk to her. There are more traitors, and she may have valuable intel that can help us identify them. I'm prepared to offer her entry into Warren Air Force Base, and she can return with us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Katarina blushes though more out of shame for her poor timing than out of any true regret. "Next time I wait for your order...." She frowns. "Maybe we go with them?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
"Yes, that's a good idea," said Major Harris, nodding. "I really need to talk to Ms. Voronova in person, and you're her friend, so you can help convince her to come back with us. Ms. Saint James, you know her too. You'd be welcome to come along. It would be best to get the two of you away from here anyhow in the event of an attack. I don't like not being here under the circumstances, but it'll take some time for them to organize something, so I'm confident I'll be back before anything happens. The pilots will be in charge until I return. Sergeant Valdez, you're the only noncom we've got now that Dauterive is in custody. I need you to prepare our defenses."

"Consider it done, sir," said Jessica. "Airman Winters, you'll guard the prisoner. Keep him in the crew compartment in the chopper so he can't interfere or signal the enemy.

"Yes, Sergeant," said the small black medic. He cuffed Dauterive's arms behind his back with his own plastic flexcuffs and ushered him into the helicopter at gunpoint.

"Smart choice for guard duty," said the major. "He won't be that much use in a pitched battle, and we know we can trust him."

"Actually, sir," said Jessica, "Airman Winters is a very good shot. Now if it comes to CQB, he lacks the physical strength and fortitude he'd need, but he'll be sorely missed if we can keep the enemy at a distance. Of course, if we can do that without him, we'll be fine. But I know we can count on his loyalty and vigilance. He won't let the prisoner get loose."

"Good. I'll try not to take too long getting back."

"Major, we'll give you a lift," said Jake Bell. "Clyde, you drive. Ladies, you should ride up in the cab wth him. The major and I can ride in the bed of the pickup truck."

"Osbourne," said Jessica, "keep an eye on that compound. Let me know if you see any unusual activity."

"Roger that," said the sniper.

"Rourke, keep up the repair work. Getting this bird off the ground ASAP is our top priority."

"You got it, Sarge," said Catherine.

"Simpson, patrol the perimeter. Don't let anyone sneak up on our position."

"Yes, Sergeant," said Gary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Thank you," said Katarina, getting into the cab with a heavy sigh of relief. She should never have accepted this mission. It was hopeless.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the plateau-
Julie climbed into the cab of the truck and slid into the middle seat, sitting next to Katarina, while Clyde got behind the wheel. Jake and Major Harris got into the bed of the truck.

"All right, son," said Jake. "Take us back to Flaxville."

Clyde nodded and pulled out while the Air Force personnel made themselves busy behind them. The pickup made its way down a winding trail that ran down the side of the cliffs and soon reached ground level.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"They should have just shot him," muttered Katarina, knowing that the group they were leaving would soon be overwhelmed and killed or captured. All they had done was deliver the helicopter to those horrible men. They would rape the women, kill the men, rape the women, kill the men. That was the future. It was logical that cruelty mingled with pragmatism would win out over any form of kindness in this world. She felt bad for Tricia but there was no way through. At best the humans on this world would finish each other off for the zombies. At worst humanity would remain as the cold, callous and cruel became the fittest to survive. She toyed with the idea of pulling the pin out of the grenade and killing them all here and now. It would be a kindness. For everyone. The Major, the others, they would all soon lose themselves in brutality and watch their morals slip away and they would become just like the others. Or they would die.

This was the truth. The existential truth of the world. Humans were no better than animals ... but unlike animals humans could know what they were losing, what was happening to them, and they would remember. She envied the next generation of women who would be reared for the kind of maltreatment she had suffered. They would be closer to animals ... they would hardly know any better. It would still hurt, of course, to be despised by the men they would doubtless come to love - their brothers, fathers, husbands - but that was the life that women had led for so long that it was obviously something women could cope with. Perhaps a slave mentality triggered at an early age.

She wished she had that but she didn't. She would rather die. In fact, she was still tempted to die.

Die or run away from these people.

Her beauty was a curse. She smiled grimly at the thought. How often had people laughed at those who said that line? Oh no, it couldn't be a curse. Beauty brought you nothing but joy. Beauty made you worthwhile. Yet she was kidnapped because of her beauty. Raped because of her beauty. Her beauty was for other people's enjoyment. A commodity. It meant she couldn't stay with them - these men - because deep down all men were monsters. Civilisation couldn't protect her so what could its antithesis provide?

She stared out the window and let the tears slide down her face but the set of her jaw implied raw helpless rage.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"That's not how the military operates," said Clyde as he drove to the east across open ground, Julie sitting silently between them. "Hell, that's not how this country operates. Things may have gone to pot, but we've got to be better than that. If we could get back to that base, we might be safe there. We didn't have a destination in mind when we left my family's ranch. The rest of the Bells are waiting there: my wife Veronica, my mom Mary, my cousin Caitlin. In addition to your friend Lara, there's also a guy named Sven she and Caitlin picked up on their way north. He's a disc jockey."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Now the enemy get a helicopter and a soldier and women to have their babies," she says angrily. "They know where you live? If they do, we should get people and keep going. Those men are our future if we don't keep going. If they take more women, they make more of themselves." She snickered suddenly. "Soon be inbred though."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"We don't live there any more now," said Clyde as he drove onwards. "We already got everyone together and bugged out. We stopped in Flaxville for supplies, and that's when we saw the chopper land. Pa and I went to warn them. We had to tell them what had happened to Tricia. I was hoping they could do something for her. We didn't have any real plans of where to go. We were probably just going to head east to get as far away from those bastards as we could. Now, maybe we can head for their air base."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
After another couple of miles, the pickup truck reached a road heading north and south, where Clyde turned left, heading north. "We should be in Flaxville in about a minute," he said to Katarina as she stared out the window. "You know, Lara's lucky to have a friend like you, come out all this way to find her when you could have stayed safe back at that base."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”