IC-GOLD-Investigation(Melinda/Kathryn/MPs)

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Investigation(Melinda/Gregor/Jason/Carolyn/Peter

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda follow to the room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Melinda and Harvey crossed the hall to the other observation room, which was a mirror image of the first one. Lt. Laura Wyatt was already there, and Colonel Smedley entered the interrogation room that was visible through the one-way mirror. It too looked just like the first one. The MPs had already secured a tall, defiant-looking man in the chair. The colonel lit the lamp and shined it in the man's face, but he did not react.

"How long have you been a traitor, Captain Hobart?" demanded the colonel.

"Never," he said. "I've always been loyal."

The colonel leaned over him, getting in his face. "Don't lie to me! I already know everything!"

"Then why do you need to ask me questions, if you already know everything?"
OOC,[b]Melinda[/b], please roll Psychology.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4488339/
Melinda noticed something in this men....
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Melinda Christie,[b]Melinda[/b] could tell right away that [b]Hobart[/b] was made of much tougher stuff than [b]Carolyn Wagner[/b]. It didn't seem like it would be possible to break him. He also seemed extremely confident in spite of his situation, as though he believed he would somehow get out of it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda will have to wait the end of the interrogation to tell what she knows.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"I'm giving you a chance to confess," said Colonel Smedley. "It'll go easier for you if you do. Maybe it's just sentiment from the years we've worked together."

"Easier for me?" asked Hobart. "You're asking me to confess to treason. What do you think you can offer me, a quick death?"

"I might be able to convince the CO to settle for exile."

"Who do you think you're trying to fool? You couldn't guarantee that! Let the general make the offer if he wants. It doesn't mean a thing coming from you."

"You WILL confess!" roared Smedley. "One way or another!"

Hobart laughed in his face, completely unruffled. "You've got nothing, or we wouldn't be here."

"Fine! Let's see how you like being waterboarded!" He nodded to the MPs, who pulled the black curtain aside to reveal a long table with straps.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda realizes that he already confessed. When he said that he wanted to hear the general to say that, he is assuming his guilty, because he want to do a deal with someone of authority. An inocente men would never accept such a proposition.

OOC: How can she tell Smedley that?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Melinda[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Melinda realized that Lt. Wyatt, who was in the room with her, could communicate with the colonel over her radio.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Lt Wyatt? Please tell to the colonel the following: he already confessed. When he said that he wanted to hear the general to say about the deal, he is assuming his guilty, because he want to do a deal with someone of authority. An inocente men would never accept such a proposition, would protest all the time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"I'll tell him," said Laura Wyatt, "but getting him to confess isn't the real object of this interrogation; it's getting actionable intelligence. A confession will make it easier to convict him, and will let us know we've broken him. I think we all know he's guilty as hell, and Hobart knows we know." She spoke into her radio. "Sir, Ms. Christie advises that Captain Hobart's statement that he wants to hear the offer from the general is tantamount to a confession, and I concur."

Colonel Smedley did not reply verbally, but nodded in the direction of the one-way mirror to indicate that he'd heard. Then he turned on Hobart, his fury evident. "MPs! Secure the prisoner to the table!" The burly military police strapped down the unresisting Hobart, and Smedley loomed over him, grinning fiercely and cracking his knuckles. "All right, let's get this started."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda starts watching the ceiling (she isn't interested to see this, even if she thinks its justified).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Melinda heard water being poured, but nothing else at first.

"I've been trained to resist interrogation," said Captain Hobart after a minute. "This is nothing."

"YOU! WILL! CRACK!" bellowed Colonel Smedley, becoming more and more enraged. "Do it again!"

More water was poured. "I can do this all day, sir," taunted the captain. "And that's more time than you've got."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-So the plan is force him to confess the names of his collegues?- asks Melinda.
She is trying to find a way to make him confess in a quick way.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"Not just that," said Laura Wyatt. "We also need to know who's on the receiving end of the weapons and other equipment his people have stolen. A flunky like Wagner wouldn't know that, but he would."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" snarled Smedley.

"It means, sir," said Captain Hobart, "that I hold all the cards here. You are going to unstrap me from this table and let me walk right out that door."

"Like hell I will, you filthy traitor! Start making sense, dammit!"

"No more games, sir. Cards on the table time...and I have a straight flush. I represent a sizable faction in the military, and there are more of us than you think. We are not traitors. We're more loyal to this country than the people who have been running it. Look at yourself, sir. Everything's falling apart, and you're still following your unlawful orders, resorting to torture - which doesn't work, by the way. You should be on our side."

"If you think I'll join you, you've got another think coming!"

"If I thought you'd join us, sir, I'd have recruited you long ago. But given recent events, the situation on the ground has changed. We've taken precautions. Yesterday, I set up a little deadman's switch. It's quite simple, really. Some of our people are out in the missile bases. If they don't hear from me by a certain time each day, and if I don't give them a very specific code, they will launch a missile at Russia."
Melinda Christie,[b]Melinda[/b] could tell that [b]Captain Hobart[/b] was very confident. He did not seem to be bluffing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-I'm not 100% sure, but I think he is telling the true. What base is he talking about?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"Oh my God," gasped Laura Wyatt. Startled, she turned to Melinda. "There are quite a few outlying nuclear missile bases in the surrounding region, all of them controlled by Warren Air Force Base. If one of those missiles is launched at Russia, they'll launch everything they've got at us!"

"You're bluffing!" snarled Colonel Smedley. "None of those missiles can be launched without authorization!"

"Until yesterday, that was true," said Captain Hobart, his voice calm. "General Cutter changed that due to the state of emergency. With the so-called President missing and presumed dead and all communications with central command cut off, he could launch on his own initiative. And given the fact that the base could fall or communications could be cut off, he gave autonomy to the missile silo commanders so that they could launch on their own."

"There are failsafes! Even if a missile were launched, we could simply abort and detonate it in midair."

"Not without the proper codes - and my friends have changed those codes on the missile in question."

The colonel's face turned red. "Keep an eye on him!" he barked to the MPs as he stormed out of the interrogation room and into the observation room. "Colonel Everett, it's Colonel Smedley!" he said into his radio. "We have an emergency situation that's come up during the interrogation of the leader of the traitors that's above my pay grade. I think you and General Cutter should join me in Observation Room Two, sir."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Great. So the living are actually the biggest danger. Maybe if we send an message to the guys of those base to ask help, so they believe we are being attacked by those creatures? This way it would a perfect explanation why the captain didn't send a message.- says Melinda without much conviction.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"I doubt that would work," said Colonel Smedley, "and it's a hell of a risk to take. There's a good chance they could launch anyway, and all would be lost. And we can't evacuate everyone from all the missile bases, because we need to have them manned in case the Russians do attack. Plus, they might launch before pulling out if they don't hear from Captain Hobart. Anyway, it isn't my decision - thank God!"

"And we don't know how long we have!" said Harvey, looking nervous, panic in his eyes. "It could five hours from now...or five minutes!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”