IC-GOLD-Investigation(Melinda/Kathryn/MPs)

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Investigation(Melinda/Gregor/Jason/Carolyn/Peter

Post by kabukiman »

-I don't think it will be just 5 minutes or even he would be nervous. Because he must know that if the missiles are launched he is dead in the same second.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"An excellent point," said Colonel Smedley. "I don't think there's any reason to panic, Mr. Bennish."

"At least not yet," said Harvey, who seemed a litle calmer now. "I'm sorry, I just get nervous a lot."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
A minute passed in silence. "None of what you've heard or what you're about to hear leaves this room, understood?" said Colonel Smedley. "We don't want to cause a panic."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

- Do not worry. I'l just say you asked me a lot of questions about the threats outside. The things are already bad with the creatures outside and those fanatics.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-GOLD-Investigation(Melinda/Kathryn/MPs)

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Several minutes later, three people arrived. The first could only be General Cutter, a stern-looking sixtyish man with close-cropped gray hair in a uniform with stars on its shoulders. Although he was getting on in years, he had still retained his looks. Behind him was another man, this one with eagles on his shoulders. He was taller and in his forties, quite good-looking, and there was only a touch of gray in his hair. By his side was Kathryn McCoy, whom Melinda recognized from last night in quarantine. Kathryn was now wearing a splendid new Air Force officer's uniform and lieutenant's bars on her shoulders.

Kathryn remembered Melinda from quarantine, and she also saw Harvey Bennish, the nervous mob accountant, with her. There were two other people she did not know. One was a tall white man in his fifties with white hair and a mustache to match. He wore a uniform with numerous medals on his chest and silver oak leaves on his shoulders. This had to be Colonel Smedley, the man they had come here to see. There was also a woman, a lieutenant like herself, with close-cropped black hair and a serious expression.

The room was small, with a few chairs facing the right wall, most of which was taken up by a transparent glass pane. Through it they could see the interrogation room. The far side of that room had a chair with leather straps in the middle, with a lamp on a small table next to it. At the back of the room was an open black curtain, beyond which a tall, defiant-looking man in a captain's uniform was secured to a long board. A squad of burly Military Police were standing guard over him.

Colonel Smedley and the lieutenant with him saluted. "General Cutter, Colonel Everett," he said to the two men who had just arrived.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Lt McCoy, Sir...Mam!", Kat feels really off in this situation. Was she supposed to smile at Melinda and Harvey? Probably not. She remains a stern face and looks stoically at the scene presented before her.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda waits that the colonel makes the conversation and stay shut unless she is told to do anything else.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"What's the emergency?" asked the general once salutes had been exchanged.

"Sir, Lt. Wyatt and the civilians here exposed Airman Carolyn Wagner as a traitor and brought her in for interrogation," said Colonel Smedley, barely suppressing his pent-up rage. "She broke easily, naming my own aide Captain Hobart as the leader of her group, among many others. We've been interrogating him for the past hour, but he has proven remarkably resistant. However, he has now not only admitted his treason, he has made quite a threat. He claims to have set up a deadman's switch. He says he has confederates stationed at outlying missile bases, and unless he sends them a specific code by an unknown time today, they will launch an ICBM at Russia. Obviously, he won't transmit the message unless he is released, and most likely his confederates as well."

"I see," said the general, stroking his chin. "Do you find this threat credible?"

"I do, sir."

He thought for a moment. "We do not negotiate with terrorists. The way I see it, we have only one course of action open to us. If Captain Hobart is not bluffing, then when his people launch their missile at Russia, we must launch the rest of our arsenal at Russia at the same time."

"Sir?!"

"Think about it. It's the only way. Russia will hit us with everything they can whether we attack with one missile or a thousand. With a successful first strike, we can wipe them out and mitigate their ability to retaliate. If we do nothing, we'll bear the full brunt of their attack."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn blinks. "Are they for real. This is what I figured, military, always going all in." Still, she remains a silent bystander. "Sir, what with the civilians? Are they suspects of something too?" She takes two steps towards Melinda to make her point.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Harvey's jaw dropped open, and he had a flabbergasted look on his face.

"No, not at all," said Colonel Smedley. "In fact, they've been a great help. They're here because I wanted their insights during the interrogations. They've shown remarkable perceptive abilities. Now they've perceived more than we bargained for." He glanced an appeal at Everett. "You've got to talk the general out of this course of action, sir. The world's in sorry enough shape as it is now. If we start a global thermonuclear war-"

"I'm sorry, Darren," said Colonel Everett. "I have to concur with the CO. If that missile flies, it means global thermonuclear war no matter what we do. The only question is who comes out of it worse."

"You can't be serious!"

"I'm in command here," said General Cutter. "I've made my decision, and it shall stand. Perhaps if you had done your job better, Colonel Smedley, the leader of this band of traitors would not have been able to operate undetected under your nose and put us in this precarious position! You would think you would have had an inkling that your own right hand man was up to something. Then again, maybe you did..." He stared daggers at Smedley.

"Sir!" Smedley thought furiously. "Sir, at least let me continue my interrogation of the prisoner. If I can break him and get the code, there won't need to be a launch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kathryn decides to stick with the brass on this. "Sir Cutter! The only way to be sure to win is to act first. Prime those warheads and send them off. If they remain here they´ll be our largest threat. I fully support the offenseive tactics, Sir." She relaxes some as it felt good to be vocal.
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda is in shock first, butb then thinks quickly.
"This is like those people who want to buy something that they can't: we must always agree with them and then make them see that maybe there is another alternative"".

- Sir, I understand your reasoning: if we attack first we will be able to destroy let's say 90% of their bases, and this way reduce our losses. That's not a perfect plan, but after all, this is not a good situation or we wouldn't be facing this, so that's much better thans watching the full russia nukes hitting us. But before we do that, let me present some ideas: the men fro that traitor organization who will press the button won't do that very soon, because lieutenent Wyatt is very calm, meaning we have several hours at least. Now, we all know that the plan they made, wasn't invented from scratch; but the direct instruction of saying that if he didn't contact the men of the missiles, the button should be press, must have been given after this mess started. That means yesterday. So, by what way could the lieutenant give the instruction? Phone cell, internet? We must see who he has contacted and that should give us the clue to the culprit: all his things should be looked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
General Cutter beamed. "I'm glad you understand what needs to be done, lieutenant," he said. "You made a good choice commissioning this one, Everett."

Colonel Smedley seized on what Melinda said. "You're absolutely right, Ms. Christie," he said. "Lt. Wyatt, I want Captain Hobart's life and movements dissected, his quarters searched thoroughly. Find out how he communicated to whatever missile base his friends are at, and that'll tell us which one it is. I'll stay here and continue the interrogation. I'll break him!"

"Yes, sir," she said, leaving for the hall.

"Seems like a waste of time to me," said Colonel Everett.

"I haven't given my permission yet," said General Cutter, "but I see nothing to be lost in the effort. Go ahead, Colonel Smedley. Do whatever you want to Captain Hobart, carry on with your investigation, and keep me informed if any progress is made."

"Yes, sir!" Smedley snapped off a salute and stepped out of the room, immediately entering the interrogation room where he was visible through the window. "Well, Michael, we're going to find out just how resistant you are to interrogation. I've got carte blanche now. There are no rules any more. You will give me the code to call off the launch and the names of your contacts at the missile base."
OOC,It's [b]Captain Hobart[/b] who set up the "deadman switch." [b]Lt. Laura Wyatt[/b] is assisting in the interrogations.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Oops, sorry
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-May I join you sir?- Melinda asks to colonel Smedley- I would like to tell to the captain several things that may help him understand the situation. And maybe make him tell the true.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
Colonel Smedley nodded to Melinda as he left the room, and she followed him.

In the interrogation room-
"And who is your lovely assistant?" asked Captain Hobart with a grin when Melinda entered behind him. "Are you going for a softer approach, or is she better at torture than you are?" He smirked. "Not that that would be saying much."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the observation room-
"I'll come with you," said Harvey Bennish, hurrying to follow Lt. Wyatt out of the room. "I can help you look for clues. Besides, I-I don't want to stay here and watch."

"Thanks," said Laura. "I can use another pair of eyes."

"Two more pairs." Harvey tapped his glasses. He closed the door after he left, leaving Colonel Everett and Kathryn McCoy alone in the observation room.
Kathryn McCoy,"Nobody can hear is in here," said [b]Everett[/b]. "This room is soundproofed so that those being interrogated cannot hear what their unseen observers say. Nobody in the hall can hear either, not with the door shut. The missiles must fly, my Queen. The humans will finish destroying themselves, and their planet shall be ours. All we must do is ensure that [b]Captain Hobart[/b] does not talk before that happens. We do not know how long that is, but we know it is before the end of the day. He has proven resilient so far to [b]Smedley[/b]'s techniques, but we cannot be certain he will hold out long enough. [b]Smedley[/b] is an amateur compared to our people, like all humans. They practice the art of torture, but they have much to learn."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Does have Melinda any idea what is captain Hobbart objectives/demands/requests/ideology?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Melinda Christie,You observed the entire interrogation, so you've seen and heard everything that was said and done. You also have what you learned from your Psychology roll. Invisible Castle is down, so I can't bring up your roll, but I seem to remember it being a critical success, so I'll give you more below. Beyond that, you can try to find out more by talking to him. [b]Hobart[/b]'s confidence was a veneer. He acted as though he could hold out indefinitely, but [b]Melinda[/b] could tell that he was secretly worried he would not be able to resist the interrogation long enough for the missile to launch. He did not seem to want to launch the missile, but he was not bluffing. He was definitely prepared to go through with his threat if that was the only way. From his statements, she could tell that he passionately believed in what he said, that the American leadership was hopelessly corrupt and criminal, and he regarded himself as a staunch patriot. This appeared to be his primary motivation in leading the faction he mentioned. He didn't show any signs of being a racist, unlike some of his followers were reputed to be. He was highly intelligent, a meticulous planner though clearly able to think on his feet and improvise, and possessed strong leadership skills. He was also very charismatic, able to sway people to his point of view, which meant that he probably did have a large following, even beyond the names that [b]Carolyn Wagner[/b] had confessed. Whatever this faction was, it was large, powerful, and influential, firmly embedded in the military. His demands seemed to be simple. He clearly wished to be released, and he no doubt would want the same for his followers. As an employee of Cabela's, [b]Melinda[/b] had noticed that increasing numbers of people had been purchasing guns and ammunition in large quantities in recent years, as had government contractors from all sorts of agencies, even those that one wouldn't think needed firearms. This had driven prices up, which had been profitable for Cabela's, and it had resulted in shortages of some popular calibers of ammo. Some of them had just been ordinary people worried that terrible times were coming and wanting to be prepared to defend themselves and their families, but there had also been militia members and people in patriot groups buying weapons and ammo in bulk, as well as other survival supplies. From the way they talked, they seemed to share some of the same ideology as [b]Captain Hobart[/b], though they were less articulate about expressing their views. Some of them had mentioned that they felt that a civil war was coming and that they wanted to be ready for it, and one had even talked about the South rising again. Cabela's government clients were concerned about what they termed "domestic terrorism," and some of them had specifically mentioned militia groups, survivalists, and those with anti-government views as potential threats. Cabela's sold to both types freely. There did seem to be a civil war brewing, and if the zombie apocalypse hadn't intervened, one very well may have erupted. Even now, the crisis was only serving to enhance division.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Spoiler:
Mr. Handy, Kat asks, "Do we have some poison to finish him off with?"
TVblog

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”