IC-OMAHA-Field Trip(Everyone else)

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Field Trip(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day + 1 - 7:11 AM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the rear parking lot-
The students, teachers, faculty, staff, and visitors reached the bus and filed aboard. The second EMP device was stationed in the aisle at the rear of the bus, humming with power. Dr. Brigetta Hausmann and Stephanie Bridges took the rearmost seats on the left, with Stephanie taking the aisle seat so she could be near the device. Dr. Liz Somerville sat in the right window seat in the rear, saving the seat next to her for Adam Donnelly. Becky Clarke sat in the driver's seat and started the engine while she waited for her passengers to board. Jerry Law came out of the school's back door and boarded the bus, and Chester Johnson was the last one aboard, having descended from the school's roof via the fire escape.

"Everyone ready?" asked Becky. "Find your seats fast."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Field Trip(Everyone else)

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,I wasn't mentioned, but I think I'm supposed to be here too.
Donald takes a seat behind Becky and cautions her, "Take it easy when you start rolling. Give the new oil a chance to move around the gears."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yup, you're here in this thread. Everyone in your old thread except those specifically mentioned (and those are NPCs), is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-With the EMP with us, it is almost a temptation of killing all the creatures we find by the road. But it would take too much time-says Jerry.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the school bus-
"We don't have to kill them," said Stephanie. "First of all, they're already dead, and the EMP will make sure they go down permanently as we pass them. Its range isn't as effective as it was up on the roof of the school, but it should still be close to a mile."

"Don't worry," Becky told Donald, "I'll treat this baby right." Once everyone was aboard, she pulled the lever to close the door and slowly pulled out of the parking lot, heading down the drive to the front of the school, where there was a big hole torn in the fence. The bus would have no problem enlarging that hole and passing through it. It was very difficult to see outside, as almost all of the windows had sheet metal welded over them thanks to the work that Donald and the other mechanics had done last night. The windshield and driver's side window was still open, of course, and the front door and the emergency exit in the rear still had windows through which one could look.

Jack Brunner sat down next to Donald. Rachel Cohen and Dr. Edward Singh sat in the second to last row, on the right side of the aisle, while Chester Johnson and Elijah Smith were seated opposite them, on the left.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald yawned and nodded to Becky, "Seems like you have things well in hand. If you hear anything strange with the engine or it starts to act funny, let me know. I'm going to try to catch a nap."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Jerry:

-Oh? It kills them for good? I thought it would only kill them for the time they would be on range.

Michiko:
She looks at the scientist thinking how lucky she is to be alive...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the school bus-
"That's sort of how it worked before," Stephanie told Jerry. "The aliens would send a signal that would periodically revive any of the dead who were disabled by an EMP. Now that we've sent our message, we believe they've stopped the signal. Of course, we haven't tested it yet, but we'll have a chance to do so when we're out on the road. All we have to do is turn the EMP generator off for a little when we come across one or more and wait to make sure they don't get back up."

"You holding up okay, Michiko?" asked Chester Johnson.

Becky drove the bus through the fence effortlessly and turned left on the road, heading west.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Jerry:
-I hope your right. And with this trip, we will get an idea of the damage done to the country. And we create a safe passage.

Michiko:
-Yes, thank you. I was thinking how lucky we are to be alive. And just thanks to them - she points to the scientists
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the school bus-
"Well, a safe passage for ourselves, at any rate," Stephanie replied to Jerry. "Once we've gone on our way, the dead will be able to wander back into the areas through which we pass. That's why it's so important that we built the second EMP device and left the first one behind with someone to maintain it. That machine is keeping all of Omaha safe. Without it, the dead would soon reenter the city from nearby suburbs and from Lincoln." She smiled at Michiko. "Thank you, but it wasn't just us. When the generator failed, we needed mechanics like Emilo and Donald to get it running again before we got overwhelmed, and we needed people who could fight like Rachel here to fend off the dead so that we could finish our task. We also needed people to organize everyone and keep order, like Principal Adler. I've seen more than once what can happen when order breaks down. Sometimes the living are more of a threat than the zombies."

"You're welcome, Michiko," said Chester. "You helped them yesterday too, remember. You're already a talented scientist in your own right, and we're going to need your skills too if humanity is to survive and rebuild."

Becky drove west through the deserted streets of Omaha, avoiding corpses lying in the street and disabled vehicles. After about a mile, she drove past the police station. An officer standing on the roof with a pair of binoculars around his neck waved at the bus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

It wasn't a comfortable ride. The old school buses had the worst suspensions. But somehow, Donald managed to grab a nap and snored softly.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Jerry:
-If only we had know sooner about the emp. Of course I think you did an excellent job by discovering so soon what was the problem and keeping our lives safe.

Michiko:
-Thank you very much, you are too kind- she says embarrassed by the compliment- I didn't do much.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the school bus-
Becky waved back and drove onwards to the west.

"Thank you," said Stephanie, blushing. "I actually figured it out and got the message to Omaha as soon as I realized what was going on, but I was more lucky than anything. If it hadn't been for Mr. Foo's communications station at that truck stop, we wouldn't have gotten the message here until too late. I wonder how he's doing? Maybe we can check in on him and the others when we get out that way. It's about four hundred miles west, forty or so miles short of Warren AFB."

The bus soon reached what remained of a National Guard checkpoint. It had been set up early in the morning in an effort to quarantine the city, but the zombies had eventually overrun it. There were corpses piled all around, some with National Guard uniforms, others in civilian clothes. Many of them had been shot in the head, and many of them bore bite wounds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald stirred when the bus had come to a halt. He pushed up his cap and looked out the window at the carnage of the guard post and shook his head. "Quite a mess. You think anything might be worth salvaging in there? Medicine? Blood? Weapons?" The question wasn't posed to anyone in particular.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the school bus-
Becky hadn't stopped the bus, but she did now. "It's possible," she said. "The checkpoint has been smashed open, so there's no problem driving through. We'll be rolling over some of those bodies, but that won't hurt the bus any."

"None of that blood will be useful," said Dr. Brigetta Hausmann. "We don't know what it might be contaminated with by this point. Those bodies are a day old, and insects will have been at them, maybe even rats. Weapons and other equipment, though..."

"It'll take a little while to search," said Principal Adler. "Do you think we can afford the time? We really want to make it to our destination by sundown. We've got 440 miles to go, so we should make it with time to spare, but we don't really know what condition the roads are in or what we'll run into along the way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, my mee-maw always used to say," Donald remarked. "And I wasn't talking about taking blood from the dead. A National Guard post like this is almost sure to have a first-aid tent set up somewhere, especially in this crisis. If they do, they could have plasma on ice, medicine, first aid kits..."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Jerry:
-I think we should go as fast as we can and only stoped if really needed, but that's just my opinion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Both of you (and anyone else who wants to chime in), please roll Persuade. The base skill is 15%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Persuade - fail,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3429083/]Persuade (15%) (1d100=32)[/url]
Donald doesn't really care one way or the other, he's just bringing up the option for those who might care.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3433102/
Jerry isn't insisting very much either.

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”