OOC-Chapter 7-The Morning After-General Discussion

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC-Chapter 7-The Morning After-General Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm in the hurricane's path too, so I might also lose power. I'm mostly recovered now, and I plan to start updating this tonight.

Not every car is fried by the EMP, but almost all of them are. Only cars from prior to 1982 or so (when all cars started using electronic ignitions) will still function after the EMP hits them - as long as they have fuel and there's nothing else wrong with them.

Stephanie and Dr. Hausmann discussed the vector earlier, before Ryuu came on the scene.

Even if there's anyone left alive in Chicago to find, you'd still have to get there safely alone, which isn't easy. The EMP device in the bus is the reason there are no zombies in your path, and the bus is also armored and capable of moving quickly in case of other threats.

Ryuu might want to talk things over further in character with the others on the bus to get some information and advice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

I'm not familiar with cars, how hard would it be to find one made before that year?
Again Ryuu is completely aware getting home would be hard, and while in denial, deep down he knows how grim what he finds might be; but he's still going to do it. If as the GM your going to say he's out of the roleplay if he tries that I understand and I'll modify his character a bit.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It would be very hard, but not impossible. Most cars don't last much more than 10 years, let alone 30. Ryuu wouldn't know about cars either, but others on the bus might.

You're free to go where you like and do what you want (or at least try). Zombie Apocalypse is a sandbox, albeit a sandbox filled with zombies and other dangers. The other characters will try to dissuade Ryuu, but he's free to ignore them and head off on his own. Just keep in mind that it's a long, arduous journey, you'll be alone, you may not make it, and you may not like what you find if you manage to get there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Again, I'm completely aware he might not make it, and that his family might all be dead. Out of character I'm aware that they probably are all dead.
Also would it make me a game killing dick if did try to hijack the bus? That option is sounding more and more tempting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That wouldn't kill the game, but it would probably result in Ryuu's death along with whoever he kills before he goes down. There are dozens of people on the bus (many of them heavily armed), remember, and only one of you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I didn't know there were that many people on the bus, I had only talked with two who were I actually knew were well armed.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Maybe try to steal the bus once you get to the end? Or get them to let you use it once they're done ferrying people?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ryuu's a criminal but he's not a sociopath, if he stole the bus at all he would wait until they made it to safety. Ryuu's a pretty useful guy though, his current thinking is getting the military base to give him a vehicle somehow. Even with a vehicle though it's a twenty five hour drive from cheyenne to chicago.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's a possibility. The military is unlikely to give you one of their own vehicles or make it easy to steal one, but you might be able to acquire the bus at that point.

I should have described the bus passengers better and given you a better idea of how many there are. Ryuu can't see everyone's weapons, but he can tell that Becky (the driver) has a shotgun. Pistols might not be easily seen, but a Spot Hidden roll would probably reveal who's carrying. The Locations and Weapons thread has a list of everyone who's currently aboard the bus (except Samir Hossein, who's an NPC) and the weapons with which they're armed. Counting Ryuu, there are 34 people on board. Donald is also carrying a shotgun. Principal Larry Adler has a baseball bat. Tariq has an AK-47 and a Grease gun. Jerry Law (whom you haven't met) has a bow and arrows, a chainsaw, and a saber. Ryuu can't be sure whether or not people have handguns, smaller submachine guns, knives, or other concealable weapons, but it's a good bet that at least some of the others do.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

acquiring the bus is what I'm hoping for.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Older vehicles that wouldn't be effected by the EMP - if they had a chance to drive at all - would have antique plates which would make them very easy to spot. Just saying.

And I know your character doesn't know this, but you might have overheard some discussion about how they had to do a lot of work to get this bus running, and it has broken down on them once already on their trip. So taking the bus may be an option, but it is definitely with added risks.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There's a fair number of pre-80s vehicles around Australia. Just go to the poorer end of town. They might be rust buckets but at least they'd work!

Trouble is you're not in a town.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Australia doesn't salt their roads during winter, do they? That really tears up a vehicle over time. There may be rust buckets that still operate, but they are very rare. It'd be easier to find one that's restored as an antique than to find a rust bucket that works without a lot of TLC - just my humble opinion... mind you.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I will be away and unable to post on November 2-4 and November 9-18, but I should be able to post more in between my trips and after I return. I will try very hard to update Gold and Omaha before I leave.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sorry I did not get to update. I was delirious from lack of sleep yesterday and sick earlier today. I'm posting on my phone at the airport and will be gone for ten days, but I'll try to update soon after I return. If you haven't posted for one or more of your characters, please do so by then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Salting roads? I'm guessing that's due to ice and snow? No, we don't get much of that around these parts. There's a fair few 1970s and early 1980s cars still cruising around and that's not even talking about the large number of vintage car folk we have who patch them back together. Having said that, they're not exactly common (more common in country areas - perhaps due to distance from the sea?) and it would take you awhile to find one presuming you reached a town of at least 4 - 5000 people. You could find it ... just take you a couple days.

Really wouldn't suggest trying that in a play-by-post that tries to do simultaneous time. You think that a car ride is going to take a long time? Imagine a search for a single type of car! More of a better tabletop option.

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Yeah, I don't know much about Australia, but what I've seen on TV, the terrain for the most part seems to resemble a lot of our south-western states ... and I knew they don't get snow except in higher elevations. So I assumed ya'll don't salt your roads. No need.

But you're right about salt-water. That can do a number on cars over time too in areas by the coast. The difference is, salted roads eat the car from bottom up, salt-water tends to eat the car from top down.

Well if the guy takes the bus, he'd better take a mechanic with him, that's all I got to say about it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's taken me a while to catch up after returning. I've updated Sword, but I don't yet have time to update Gold and Omaha. I'll try to get that done during the week.

Laraqua, it's been a long time since you've posted for Katarina in Sword.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've finally gotten all of the threads updated, and I'll try to keep the game moving now. I know things tend to slow down in December, but I should have enough time to post now as long as the players do. I might only be able to update each thread once a week for the next few weeks, but I should have more time in late December and January.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

I'll be on a cruise in the Carribean from 6 to 13 January and completely away from all internet access. Please NPC me in that time frame. Thanks!

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”