IC-OMAHA-Field Trip(Everyone else)

A new day dawns, and with it new horrors. Tensions are rising at Warren Air Force Base, where traitors lurk behind the scenes and the fate of the world may be at stake. A daring mission to Montana is launched, where an isolated ranch receives new visitors - and trouble. In Omaha, the zombie menace seems to be over. The few surviving law enforcement personnel attempt to restore order, but criminals are not going to make it easy for them. Preparations for evacuation are underway at Brooks High School, and a dangerous new threat lurks.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Field Trip(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oustide the bus-
Lucy was also too busy to notice anything, but Becky's vision was extremely sharp. When they were about halfway done changing the tires, she pointed off to the west. "There's a small pack of coyotes out that way, three of them. They're close to a mile off, but they're heading towards us. They look a bit thin and gaunt."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Garrett »

"Coyotes?" Ryuu says with mild alarm, taking his families katana from it's strap and squinting towards the horizon to try and see the hounds.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Donald looked at the blade-wielding man nearby and nodded approvingly. "Gunshots are sure to bring about unwanted attention. Do we have any more weapons like bats or knives?" He took up a bar they used to jack up the vehicle and tested it in his hands saying "This may work fine."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the bus-
"My nail gun's nice and quiet," said Declan, readying it and taking aim to the west. "I just hope they don't howl much."

"I've been lugging around this steel pipe all this time," said Lucy, unstrapping it from her back. "Might as well get some use out of it."

"I can beat the crap out of them with the butt of my shotgun," said Becky, "and I know Principal Adler always carries that baseball bat." She called into the open door of the bus. "Hey, Principal, we got three coyotes incoming. We can use your bat out here."

In the bus-
The principal picked up his Louisville Slugger and stepped outside. Jerry Law followed him.

"Coyotes?" said Stephanie. "I remember a bunch of reanimated coyotes back at the truck stop. If these are more of the same, the EMP device will take them down before they get close. But they could be living coyotes."

Outside the bus-
The seven people had to crawl under the bus to get to the west side of the tunnel, as the vehicle was blocking it off completely in its current position. They had plenty of time as the coyotes loped closer, and during this time Jerry got his nightstick ready and offered his chainsaw to Donald. Ryuu and most of the others didn't spot them until they got quite close. There were indeed three of them, and their eyes weren't glowing red like the zombies. They were alive with hunger, which made them no less dangerous. Declan fired his nail gun as soon as they got into range, but he missed badly. The coyote on the right lunged at the principal, its jaws snapping on air. The middle coyote came at him from the other side, but it fared no better. The coyote on the left had not yet reached the defenders, advancing slowly.
OOC,We're in a combat round now, and it is currently [b]Ryuu[/b]'s turn. You may roll to attack, and if you hit, roll damage. [b]Donald[/b], you have the same DEX as the third coyote. Please roll 1d100 for initiative. If you get 94 or less, you may attack the target of your choice before the last coyote's turn. You have Chainsaw skill on your character sheet at 40%, and it does 2d8+db damage on a successful hit. If you get 96 or higher, you must wait for the coyote's attack. If you get exactly 95, please roll a second 1d100 for a roll-off.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Initiative - success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3876504/]Initiative (1d100=41)[/url]
ooc,I don't think using a chainsaw will be any less noisey than firing a gun. If it's all the same, maybe he'll just use the metal bar from the car jack / lug-nut wrench. Probably be the same skill as a club.
Club attack - failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3876519/]Club(25%) (1d100=55)[/url]
Donald rushed forward to the principal's assistance, attacking at one of the coyotees on him, but his metal lug-wrench swings harmlessly over the creature's head.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ryuu takes a deep breath as the beasts approach, more worried about his families sword then his own safety. As the coyotes come into range he swings the blade out of it's sheath with a roar
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3877030/ making contact with one of the dogs and cutting deep into it's body with a spray of crimson. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3877035/
[Spoiler-Button]The katanna does 1d10+DM right? That's what I rolled. 12 damage by the way.[/Spoiler-Button]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the bus-
Ryuu cleaved the middle coyote cleanly in half with a single blow! Blood gushed out of both halves as the animal collapsed. Becky swung her shotgun at the other coyote that was attacking the principal, connecting with it and bludgeoning the beast. It fell over and lay still, though it had not been slain. Lucy brained the remaining coyote, bloodying its head but not quite felling it. Jerry crushed it with his nightstick, beating it to a bloody pulp.
OOC,Yes, the wrench is treated as a Small Club. It does 1d6+db. The katana actually does 1d10+1+db, which was 13 damage in this case. Combat is now over.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Well who wants jerky?" Ryuu responds as he leans down to the wounded coyote and slits its throat with his knife. He then sits down and begins skinning and dressing the animals. "Hey, can someone bring me my backpack?" He calls, knowing he'll need some of his tools if he's actually going to do this. He had done it plenty of times on his journey, but the biggest animal he'd ever done was a fox.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Excitement over, Donald went back to work on the bus tires.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the bus-
Principal Adler and Jerry Law ducked back under the bus, where they passed Amelia Delacroix as she emerged with Ryuu's backpack. Everyone else except Ryuu resumed working on changing the tires.

While the principal and Jerry went back aboard the bus, Amelia joined Ryuu, a huge grin plastered on her face. "Y'all got the right idea!" she said. "Waste not, want not. Coyotes can be good eatin'. We get where we're goin', I can cook 'em up real good. You won't even know it was dog meat. We brought a good deal of salt with us, so we can keep the meat fresh. And we can tan and keep the furs too; it gets cold at night." She helped Ryuu ably; she had clearly done this sort of thing before.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"I hope you don't mind but I was actually going to make it into jerky right now, that way I can take it with me when our paths diverge." Ryuu said, although his tone might fool you he wasn't asking.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the bus-
"Y'all killed one yourself," said Amelia, "so you've earned the right. We've got enough food to get the rest of us where we're going. Are you sure about heading off on your own? There's more dangers out there than just the walkin' dead, as you can see. Much safer with forty or so of us than only one. Can't stay awake forever out there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ryuu pauses and looks her in the eye. His tone was hard and cold, not the friendly one he had earlier. "I'm not a God damn idiot, I know going off on my own is dangerous. Right now, in this second that we are talking, my little sisters could be braced behind a door, desperately trying to keep some zombie from coming in and killing them. My family doesn't have a fucking EMP keeping all the nasties away like you do, they're probably fighting for their lives right now; and I'm not gonna sit on my ass and 'hope' when me being their could be the difference between them surviving our not." After he finishes talking he quickly finishes his work and goes back on the bus. Trying to find someone who he could persuade to come with him, he didn't have hopes though. Altruistic people vanish fast in these kinds of situations.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the bus-
"All right," Amelia called after Ryuu. "You do what you have to do. Just remember that there are many kinds of nasties, and not all of them are stopped by an EMP."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ryuu just grunts in reply. As he gets on the bus and looks around for someone who he might be able to take with him he begins thinking about the EMP again. Once he gets to the military base the people will probably let their guard down a lot, plus they won't really need the EMP anymore. Maybe if he just offered to wait with the bus while the others proceeded inside... no cause they can turn the EMP off, they won't need to leave the bus behind.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You can see a list of characters on and around the bus in the Locations and Weapons thread, in the Omaha section. Look for the word "bus," not "minibus" (that's another vehicle somewhere else). If there's someone specific you'd like to try to convince to go with you to Chicago, you can approach them, but something like this may require a good deal more than a Persuade roll, depending on who you ask.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

OOC- Ryuu would just approach any/every able bodied man he could who appeared armed and alone. He would offer them money and protection if they agreed to come with him, he would also plead and beg if he thought that would work.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the bus-
Ryuu quickly zeroed in on a likely-looking man. He was big and strong, with a .45 automatic in a belt holster, sitting by himself with his head lowered. He glanced up when Ryuu approached. "Jack Brunner," he said, extending his hand.
OOC,[b]Ryuu[/b], please roll Psychology. The base skill is 5%. You should also roleplay this and write out what you say.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Ryuu smiles and shakes the hand firmly. "Hello Mr. Brunner, do you mind if I ask you a question?" Before the man replies Ryuu goes on, "Do you think the government will restore order eventually? Or a more relevant question I suppose would be, do you still place any value in money?" He says with a coy smile.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3893918/ 22, fail I think
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the bus-
"Money doesn't matter any more," said Jack, his handshake limp and without feeling. "I don't know if anything matters any more."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 7 - The Morning After”