Page 1 of 1

CH3-04 Down by the shore

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:47 pm
by ghill
Steering towards the centre of the lake the ferry continues the rest of the way without making any further stops eventually the the ferry terminal hoves into sight.

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:39 pm
by ghill
The Six of you pile into the cramped confines of the Landrover and Alex drives off the ramp as soon as it touches concrete almost running down the crewmember of stands waiting to wave the vehicles off. His hand resting on the Landrover's horn he bloody-mindedly bullies his way through those waiting to load onto the ferry relying on the landrover's size to get through. Out of the tunnel which connects the ferry terminal, he swiftly pulls off the road onto a track, he drives until the road is out of site and then pulls over in the shade of some trees.

"Here we are not in their lands, people are afraid of them, but it will only be them who are looking for us and they are only so many so we are safe here for a while. Questions I have now, how do you leave the country? Lek and I can drive you over the border into Montenegro now if that is your wish it is a few hours away at most, but perhaps they wait at the border...or you go to the airport or ferry and grab first ship or plane, again perhaps they wait. There are people I know who take things across the sea to Italy no questions asked it cost money, but is secret so perhaps is safe, but they are not law abiding men so perhaps not." He shrugs I cannot tell you what to do, but if you have ideas I will help you do those and then I take my wife and children and we go to Greece where my family comes from.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"What if we all go to Greece together?" suggests Liz. "They might not expect us to go out the long way, and we'll be safer if we don't separate. From Greece we could easily take a boat or a plane without them being able to get to us."

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:15 pm
by BenTheRat
"What about our friend, getting anywhere with a body is going to be difficult." Greg says. "We do have a couple options, we can smuggle him to the mainland and drive him about anywhere in Europe, we could bury him here, under this nice tree, then let his family know when we return. That could be problematic and could raise questions into things best left alone. One final option is to leave his body somewhere, with identification, let the local police know there is a body. Let them retrieve it and they should return it to his family."

Greg turns his attention to getting back to the mainland. "The security of the airport would be nice, but the men with fire don't need weapons, but it does cut down on those with firearms, if we can get through security. Heading to Greece, might just throw them off our scent. I'm willing to try whatever the rest of you wish to do."

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 am
by ghill
Psychology roll please - FAIL yeah its all good,SUCCESS - Alex's clear priority is to get his wife and Kids out ahead of this shit storm and to the perceived safety of extended family in Greece. Although he doesn't say anything Liz's suggestion that you use Greece as your escape route clearly goes down like a lead balloon writ clear on his face.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade
Andy:Psychology(25%),[dice]0[/dice]

"Can we get into Montenegro like this?" Andy ponders aloud, looking at the state that everyone is in. "We could work out way up the coast hmm there's a ferry route from Bar that'll get us back to Italy, is that right?" he jabs his finger at the map.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought too," says Liz. "We could leave the way we came in."
OOC,Psychology roll (35% skill) about [b]Alex[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 am
by ghill
Alex nods in agreement "There are several ports along the coast with ferries across to Italy although but they don't run every day Durres is busiest but is down South and Vlora is even further south but we can get across the border without too much problems, but if not Bar then into Croatia and go out via Dubrovnik or is airport at Dubrovnik as well. Probably no more than five or six hours drive from here."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like we should head south along the coast, then," says Liz.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:46 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Sorry just to be clear Durres and Vlora are both to the South and ports in Albania, Whereas Bar is in Montenegro and Dubrovnik in Croatia both to the North, I assume after Andy/Alex's last comments you mean North.  
Alex heads back to the road and joins the traffic moving away from the ferry terminal at the first small town he pulls up and Lek climbs out with his small pack, Lek wishes you all good luck then walks across the road to where a trio of furgons (think mini buses/airport shuttle bus) are parked up. Alex turns in his seat Lek heads to country, to where his clan live, he knows this country very well he will disappear. An hour later he's at a junction with the 'SH1' (Albania's major North-South artery) So which direction North or South?

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:14 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"My vote is 'North', we need to get out of Albania as fast as possible...." Andy looks around at the others for affirmation of his reasoning...
OOC:   Did we leave anything behind at all? Back at out hotel I mean?  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Nothing incriminatory  

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Won't they expect us to go this way, since it's the shorter route?" asks Liz.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy shrugs, "Maybe.. maybe not, we don't know what they would do.. they might figure that we need to go back the way we came, we have no way of knowing their plans.. but we can't afford to waste time... we need to get out of the area as fast as possible. "

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, let's get out of here fast, before they have time to get organised," says Liz.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 pm
by ghill
As he drives Alex makes some phone calls and a few miles before the border with Montenegro he pulls off the road and onto a farm track which leads to a small isolated farm. "We can stay here eat and drink and my friend is a Vat I think he may be able to help with Clay and he has an old van we can use to cross the border" He pauses for a moment. "Here also is a nice place to bury Albert"
OOC:   Greg doesn't believe there is much they can do for Clay at the moment what he needs is liquids and rest in a clean bed. You have has much time as you consider safe to eat and rest...or simply swap vehicles and drive on.  
Less than an hour after leaving the farm you cross the border without incident waved through at the crossing point with hardly a second glance. You arrive at the Ferry terminal to discover you have missed the ferry so must travel up to Dubrovnik. Alex makes more phone calls to see what arrangements he can make for your onwards travel. "What are your plans once you leave the country?"

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Back to Blighty, I suppose," says Liz. "We've also got the last draft of Professor Gosshamm's paper that we'll want to read. That may open up new areas of inquiry."

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:38 am
by BenTheRat
Greg was in deep thought, he kept checking in on Clay, continued to give him what liquids he could, but he just couldn't be sure if he would pull through. Would any of them, after everything they had been through. He didn't feel right burying Albert here in this foreign land, I mean he knew it was just a spot of ground, and he was sure Albert wouldn't mind, but what of Albert's family? Would they worry? Would they start questioning things that were best left unasked?

They drove along through the border, Greg had gotten more withdrawn, something he was use to. Through the fog in his brain the question came through, "What are your plans?", my plans? after this? This had turned out to be more of a vacation adventure than he had ever intended. He was already late to start his new job at Boston General, he needed to get back before he gets fired. He had called to let him know he would be late, but that would only hold for so long.

"Back to real life," Greg said more as a question than an answer. What was real anymore after everything they had seen? He went back to staring at the landscape as it flew by. He checked the rear window, more out of habit now, it wasn't like he expected to be followed at this point, but he'll be looking over his should for many months, or years to come.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am
by ghill
Greg,There is no way [b]Clay[/b] is going to last on a journey to the UK, either by road or more likely by road. ideally, [b]Greg[/b] would get him into a bed where he can maintain a proper schedule of care rather than trying to run a critical injuries clinic out of the back of a landrover. From Greg's point of view, they either have to find a safe place to stop for a few weeks while [b]Clay[/b] gets back on his feet, or they need to drop him off at a hospital.
Another two hours drive sees you over another border into Croatia, again the passport check is cursory and the journey now slightly relaxed as the day proceeds without any further sign of the Verbti. Located on the Adriatic Sea coast, the Croatian city of Dubrovnik has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the cities walls which stretch for almost 2 km around the city. The Ferry Terminal is located in the Kantafig area of Gruž Bay roughly 3 km from the Old Town. Alex soon confirms the ferry leaves at 10 pm (Arriving Bari 6 am) with cars boarding at 8:30 pm meaning that there is a wait of a few hours before boarding.

OOC:   How are you going to spend the next few hours? You don't need to remain at the ferry terminal, but you must be back by 8:30 for boarding  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,One of us could start reading the thesis, preferably someone not as loopy as [b]Liz[/b].

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:23 am
by ghill
OOC:   Can I have an IDEA roll from those people who have read some or part of the thesis. - Success = the problem with the thesis is that it lacks proof, the photos of the murals in the labyrinth might well provide that proof if the written components could be translated, however, to do that you'd need some kind of Rosetta stone of your own.  

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz is too wiped out from her recent experiences to be able to think straight.
OOC,Idea roll (75% stat) about the thesis: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:11 pm
by BenTheRat
"Clay isn't going to make it in this condition. We have to get him to a hospital, for good or bad."

Greg takes Clay to the best hospital or medical center they have here, and checks him in, without providing any information that could lead back to us.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we need to get him some help," says Liz. She goes with him.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 am
by ghill
OOC:   Just to be clear, this will be the end of Clay as a playable character - even if Greg manages to drop him off without issue (for simplicity I'll assume as a Doctor he can work the system to do that) he's been shot, this will result in the police being called and ultimately the UK police being contacted and Clay is wanted in relation to a number of ongoing inquiries. BentheRat if you want to resume playing Clay when he recovers you don't need to take him to a hospital you just need to get him somewhere quiet, clean and where can get long-term bedrest. He cannot, however, make the long journey all the way back to the UK.  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade
OOC:   Andy will spend some time getting new clothes and toiletries (for everyone in the party), plus food (for the journey) and arrange with Alex on what to do with the weapons... does he want them/will they ditch them somewhere before embarking on the ferry.

He can start reading once they're on their way back to Italy.  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:41 pm
by ghill
carnage_lee wrote:Andy Wade
OOC:   Andy will spend some time getting new clothes and toiletries (for everyone in the party), plus food (for the journey) and arrange with Alex on what to do with the weapons... does he want them/will they ditch them somewhere before embarking on the ferry.

He can start reading once they're on their way back to Italy.  
OOC:   Consider all the supplies bought. As for the weapons privately Alex admits it hadn't even crossed his mind that you had all these weapons as you crossed the border, he suggests breaking them down ditching them in the sea somewhere up or down the coast out of sight.  
You drive onto the ferry as the ordained time and are quickly settled into your cabin, the crossing only takes about 7 hours but you won't unload until around 6 am tomorrow morning. Watching from the back of the ferry there doesn't seem any indication the Verbtetoi are at the terminal or on the ferry.
OOC:   I'll leave it up to BentR as to whether you are accompanied by Clay, it simply takes a bit of teamwork to assist Clay up and into Bed in your cabin where for the first time in about three days Greg can properly look at and treat Clay's wounds.  
Alex says his goodbyes at the ferry terminal, he's happy for you to keep the landrover but suggests you dump it at the first opportunity before a policeman looks at the damage to closely.

When you know what you do where you go, give me a ring, I know many people I may beable to help.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 pm
by BenTheRat
"If we can get a nice place to rest and some proper medical supplies, I can save him, I hope." Greg adds in.

Medical Roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Greg doesn't feel comfortable about this at all, he urges moving Clay to the Hospital.
OOC:   I thought I'd leave it up to a medical roll and I blew it. Greg wouldn't know about all Clay's problems from the past, so I say take him to the hospital. Especially after loosing his other patient.  

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Liz says to Alex, "for everything."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 pm
by ghill
It is probably your imagination but the atmosphere in Bari seems a lot less tense than in Albania. Bari is a big port city on the Adriatic coast; the capital of the Italian region of Puglia. It's not a major tourist destination, but it does have an airport with budget flights from the UK, and as well as having a few sights of interest, Apart from all the Russian pilgrims here to see the bones of St Nicholas Bari is not really a touristy town. It also doesn't have a great reputation (Alex warned you all to hold your valuables tightly)

We should park the Landrover somewhere discreet and get some coffee and food then discuss what we are going to do next. says Jacob
OOC:   Plans?  

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to read that paper first off," says Liz. "It's all we have to show for everything we've lost, along with the pictures of those murals, and I'm hoping it'll give us some kind of understanding and help us decide what to do."

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"We're going to need to torch the Landrover, somewhere well out of the way. We're probably OK to stay here for a day or two but we need to get moving as soon as we possibly can." Andy[/b is feeling quite despondent, their foray into Albania cost them so much and for what....?

"Let's see if we can get copies made of everything we have." he responds to Liz's suggestion.

OOC:   Andy will see about renting a moped (to facilitate the dumping of the Landrover) and take stock of their fake ID's and credit cards.
I guess it's back to the UK and regroup?
We ought to post one lot of copies home before we leave... just in case?

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, good thinking," says Liz. "We're lucky it didn't get incinerated - and me with it!"
OOC,Yes, that's a good idea.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 pm
by ghill
OOC:   So a couple of issues for you.

1. Albert said the cards would only have a limited lifespan of the three he originally created one has already been found to be denied.
2. Without going back and looking over my notes the police are looking for Jacob to help with their inquiries after the shootout at Professor Mathers house. This assumes Mathers daughter never said anything.  

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Wouldn't we have bought round trip tickets? Less suspicious than buying one-way tickets. If that's the case, we could just return to Italy and fly back. Of course, if they were purchased with a card that has since been reported as stolen, that would raise a red flag.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 pm
by ghill
OOC:   So you actually had tickets to Bari (where you are now) with a budget airline, called Ryan Air, the problem is while they do return tickets by default they don't do open tickets, so you'll have to pay to get your tickets changed or wait'

Roll against lowest party luck (Andy 65%) and depending on how successful the roll will indicate the number of days wait.

There are a fair few places locally you can stay, this isn't a particularly touristy city so accommodation is relatively cheap but not particularly brilliant.  

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Group Luck roll (65% stat) to see how soon we can fly home: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:43 pm
by ghill
OOC:   So your flight will leave the day after tomorrow at 1900 arriving in the UK at 2100. In the mean time, you find a fairly out of the way hotel which you can afford on the remainder of your cash. The landrover is disposed of in the wooded hills about 15km away.  

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sounds good to me. We should have enough time to get the thesis copied (and one copy posted) and begin studying it.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am
by ghill
ooc,Yep it takes no time at all to find a copy shop and get the thesis copied who/where are you sending the copy to. [b]Liz[/b] doesn't really see much difference between this copy and the last copy they found the key thing seems to be a single additional chapter which clearly indicates the importance of the murals both as a historical document and as evidence. This still doesn't really explain why anyone would kill Gossham though.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We'd be sending it to one of our own addresses in the UK, just in case. We can also email the pictures of the murals to ourselves, as long as the file sizes aren't too big.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 am
by ghill
OOC:   There are several Gb's of images but it is not really a problem for Liz to both send multiple copies of the files copied onto USB keys as well as scatter copies of the photos in a number of online locations which she can share with the others.  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I guess that after betting back into the UK we need to go and see Westerlund as well as try and figure out where we are with our investigation.  

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's a good idea. Maybe the book will help us translate the murals. We can enclose a USB stick with the hard copy of the thesis that we ship home.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm
by ghill
The others sit around the coffee table listening to Andy's outpouring.

Where do we start says Jacob some of these things are easy enough to find out about, the Roman senator should be mentioned somewhere if he is someone important, but these other things they look a bit strange to say the least. I mean what language is naf'lthagn it sounds more like a person sneezing? Should we split up this work and who is doing what?
OOC:   I shall add to the clues thread any answers to the easier question, you may want to have a think about how you find answers to the more esoteric questions  

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"OK, that's a starting point... Jacob you can look into the Roman aspect" he pauses for the Rabbi's assent. "LIz... are you OK to keep on going through Maria's work? Try and join up what she was working on with what Gossham had theorised ... I think that he had her working on finding proof; it's best if you're 'chaperoned' while you do this, we don't want any more 'weird shit' happening, so Doc will you be OK to make sure Liz doesn't have any more 'episodes'?" he asks Greg.

"I can pull some strings when we get back home... do some research in the British Library .. hopefully I'll be able to track down references to the really old shit that Gossham mentions. We should all be familiar with Gossham's theories, that's what kicked all this shit off... so we need to pick that apart and find out why it's worth committing multiple murders to suppress."

"We stay clear of the artefacts that we left with Westerlund .. until we have more of a clue as to what is going on .. we are in the shit so deep we're past needing waders.. we need snorkels!"
OOC:   We also need to workout/find out what that charity hoped to gain from bank-rolling Gossham ... were their motives just trying to promote Albania or something more sinister?  

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've read the thesis and looked at the murals before without going round the twist," says Liz. "I think I'll be fine. I'll do what I can, but we need to find something to help us translate this stuff, something like the Rosetta Stone. Maybe one of those artifacts. Didn't Westerlund say that the writing on the sceptre was like that, the Fomalhaut bit?"

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm
by BenTheRat
"Have we had a look at whats on the memory cards yet?" Greg interjects. "Perhaps that can give us a bit more information, or have some files on it. I still that that twisting passage we took has some purpose in all of this. I can't put my finger on it, it just seems strange the language twists similar to the tunnels. Maybe that's needed to do the translation."

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, I think you're onto something," says Liz. "The memory cards contain Maria's pictures of the murals. I documented them myself before we even found them, but I think hers came out better."

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 am
by ghill
OOC:   BenTheRat - In the time that you've had no one has looked at any of the gathered data with anything other than a perfunctory glance.
You'll need to set up somewhere where you can do some proper research without being constantly disturbed.
Also incidentally there are several hundred photos along with several hundred pages thesis (per draft) you're going to need room to spread out or things will take a lot longer.

I'm happy to assume this is acquired when you decide where to base yourselves for the next step.  

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think we're better off starting our research in the UK, for one thing we'll have access to things like money and won't face 'language barriers'.  

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Okay, but we can still use the time we're in Bari waiting for our plane to do some preliminary work if we have nothing better to do. We may want to work with [b]Westerlund[/b] when we do our research, as he's an expert and has the artifacts.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:42 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Liz couldn't really have done more than catalogue the photos. Please consider the photos and thesis as similar to a Mythos tome they need to be properly researched doing so will take time.  

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:11 pm
by ghill
Compare photos on the memory card to the photo's we took - work out what Maria was translating - 1-3 days (Library Use)

Research the UR Language -? days (requires some kind of method to translate or find possible sources of the language)

Maria's research notes - (additional notes) Then using the marker function additional notes: it’s not prayer, it's fear, they fear him, fear what he’s going to let through.
There are rugged rocks to the left and right and some indication of the sea to the rear of the young man It looks as though there is some kind of tomb behind the man’s right shoulder, is this symbolic? Identify that image ... is it of Malta (site 3)? - 1-2 day (Computer use/Spot Hidden)

The 'spell' On the piece of paper is written: ph'nglui mglw'nafh Verbti Fomalhaut n'gha-ghaa naf'lthagn - research occult referenced to Fomalhaut(?) 1-2 days (Library Use/Occult)

Research Ulpius Crinitus and Centurion Flavius - is the decimation of the Verbetoi by the Romans on record? - Already added to clues thread.

Gossham thought the proof of his thesis was in artefacts on Malta - however, the gold artefacts we have would offer proof (if the ages can be ratified). - Archaeology roll/Idea roll, Westerlund will clearly have a view.

Ask Kush nderten why they bankrolled Gossham - what did they want to achieve/prove? - you already have all the legally obtainable details for the charity, if you want further details some sleuthing is required

How/Why did Gossham make the jump that the 'writing people' encountered artefacts of a civilisation that pre-dated them? Book of Eibon? mythical Book of Skelos - the city of Yb & Shem - what can we find out? The Atahath = present day Verbetoi (as use Afro-Asiatic (origin) language). - you'll probably never find out unless it's documented in the thesis somewhere. IDEA roll

Photo no 32: The mural depicts a young man surrounded by intense light or fire from above. Wounds are seen along the back of his arms and legs his back and torso is heavily tattooed. He is surrounded by other people they are either bowed in prayer

Ties up to the following passage?

Transcription, He hangs motionless in black, forbidding sky in the deeps oh gleaming orb which floats before this dreamers vision. Fearsome dark are the marks upon thy dull/dread/fearsome face/surface marked by columns of spinning flame arced uponn thine rim.... [indecipherable] the titan sunspots drift slowly across thine face, you roar your insatiable anger against the chains of the Ancient/Elder/Old Gods which had bound you there for an eternity.... Oh great Verbti we shall free you.

Verbti is the god ... who/what is it really? - 4-5 days Occult/library Use, perhaps access to specific libraries

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

As the resident computer expert, Liz uses the time before their flight to begin going through Maria's notes to identify the image.
OOC,Computer Use roll (70% skill) to identify the image in [b]Maria[/b]'s notes: [dice]0[/dice] Idea roll (75% stat) about the artifacts: [dice]1[/dice] Idea roll (75% stat) about how [b]Gosshamm[/b] came to his conclusions: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm
by ghill
OOC:   There isn't quite a like for like match for the photos in Maria's memory card and the photos which Liz took while in the maze, but they are clearly from the same location. The murals seem to tell the story of the journey out of Africa(?) to Albania

1. Horse riding nomads flee other nastier looking horse riding nomads ride off into desert
2. Horse riding nomads find ancient temple in abandoned city in desert
3. Horse riding nomads worship fiery god
4. Fiery God destroys nastier looking horse riding nomads in the desert
5. Massive, flood horse riding nomads flee to top of massive plateau and build new towns/temples
6. Horse riding nomads confined by the island seek fresh pastures overseas
7. Live peaceful life in the mountains - Horse riding nomads raiding the locals
8. Romans come - Horse riding nomads raid the Romans
9. Horse riding nomads War with Romans - at this point, there doesn't seem to be a written commentary of any kind with the murals.

IDEA roll about the artefacts - With regards the artefacts you think Gossham might have believed the artefacts are to open of accusations of fraud and forgery which is what Westerlund intimated as well.  

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz fills in the others about her findings so far.
OOC,Is there still time for me to get started on another avenue of research before our flight?

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 am
by ghill
Liz,not really you can assume any prep work is done for whatever task Liz lines up next.
OOC:   Guys, you can assume you have all travelled back without incident (using whatever ID you used to travel out either faked or real). This raised the next question now you are back in the UK what are your plans? What are people doing as far as accommodation is concerned? Jacob has a small house in Golders Green in London, but he's currently a person the police are looking for to assist with their enquiries. Greg has nowhere (in the UK), Liz has student accommodation and or a room at her parents. I'll leave it to Carnage_lee to describe his accommodation bearing in mind Andy's credit rating.  

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Since the fall semester hasn't started yet, I'm best staying with my parents in London rather than going to the dorm in Cambridge. We should probably all be based in the London area, as it's convenient to many things and easy to travel from there to wherever we need to go.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Yeah... with acredit rating of 15 (I see that none of us with the exception of Ben put pts in Credit Rating - at least 7th ed makes you do this) Andy will probably have a bedsit, in Eltham.. Any must be a pretty unsuccessful reporter :/  
Back in th UK...

After bidding his companions 'adieu' at the airport, Andy heads back to his small flat and sifts through the small pile of letters that have accumulated in his absense. Most pressing is the 'red leccy bill' and a rather terse note from his landlord chasing up last months rent. He'd spent too much time away and hadn't earned anything since his hospital stay. He needed come cash and fast.

He thought of Albert he hadn't known the man for long but Andy had liked him but more than that Andy wished he had one of the 'magic' credit cards that Albert had managed to rustle up. Albert.. poor bastard... did he have anyone close? Anyone that ought to be told.. well what could they say? Nothing... they couldn't say anything to anyone ... but he would be missed and people would start asking questions. Would any of those lead to Andy's door?

Andy smiles sadly, remembering the time that they were all in Albert's home, eating pizza, discussing what to do next, none of them realising quite how dangerous things were to become. Things were band then, Albert had been shot, Andy caught in that fire but they sure got worse. Andy shakes his head, wishing that he'd not taken the job to do the follow up piece with Mathers, he's been in constant danger ever since.

The boiling kettle snapped him out ofhis mournful thoughts, he cursed realising that the milk was now 'cottagwe cheese' in his fridge, the other items were spoiled too, he couldn't even make a cuppa! Finding a carrier bad he emptied his small fridge and dumped it in his bin, nose wrinkling at the smell. He'd have to go out and get some shopping.

After a shower and change of clothes he decided to get the shopping later on, taking a couple of creased tenners from the biscuit tin on a shelf he locked up and headed off the the station; he could start his research.. if he didn't start he wasn't sure he'd be able or willing to carry on. The walk to the station was terrible, unnerving, everyone he passed seemed to stare and he kept looking over his shoulder nervously, expecting to be followed but he didn't see anyone or anything. This was strangely not reassuring, half convinced he was being followed anf not able to spot anyone.

The train seemed to take ages to arrive, Andy walked the length of the train, twice, before he found a seat to his liking. He was sure that he attracted stares from the other silent passengers, disapproving looks. Andy was glad to get out at London Bridge, more people, more danger but he felt that he had a purpose a direction, he would see things through. He waited outsie for the number 17 bus to come along, eager to start his research.
OOC:   Andy will start his research at the British Library  

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm
by ghill
OOC:   What topics does Andy intend to study at the British Library? Likewise, what are Greg and Liz doing? BTW With at least one decent credit card and a fake passport Greg can put himself up in a decent London hotel if he can cope with the guilt :)  

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz is relieved to be back at her parents' home. There had been times when she thought she would surely die and never see them again. Her experiences have left her shaken, and she now knows what it's like to go to war. Still, people her age fight in Afghanistan, so she knows that she's not the only one dealing with the trauma. It feels good to be in her old room, where so many of her childhood memories are, but she knows she can never be a little girl again, especially after everything she's experienced - not that she has otherwise ever grown up in the first place. At night, when nobody else is around to see, she silently cries herself to sleep.

While at home, Liz continues to work with the pictures on the memory card, comparing them to the pictures they had taken and trying to determine what Maria had been translating.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 am
by ghill
OOC:   Liz takes only a few hours before giving up in disgust the notes Maria has made are merely descriptions of the images and those are open to interpretation as has been discussed before what is really needed is to find a key to the language. It does occur to Liz that Maria's descriptions along would help because it would put translated text into context.  

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

Having reached a temporary dead end, Liz decides to do some research on Fomalhaut and its connection to the occult and the spell.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am
by ghill
OOC:   Sorry, I've been a real dunce there is a difference between the two collections of photos Liz's collection is of the murals only, Maria's includes a detailed set of photos of the statues at the start of the mural maze specifically the inscriptions at the base of the statue of Alexander which along with the Latin which Greg translated are also present in Greek and in the script.  

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Does that mean I can go ahead and roll Library Use?

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:20 am
by ghill
OOC:   Mr. Handy yes please do a LIbrary Use roll. Do you tell the others what you have found?  

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy will attempt to research:

Fomalhaut / occult references

References to the Atahath tribe/people.

City of Yb, Deserts of Shem (is this a biblical reference to the son of Noah? Arabs = Shemites??)

Linear A script, origins, theories, etc.

Library Use - 40

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]  

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz's work proceeds smoothly.
OOC,Yes, I share what I find with the others. Library Use roll (60% skill) to compare the photos and work out what [b]Maria[/b] was translating: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg checks into a hotel in London. He spends the first day typing up their adventure into a laptop. He includes everything that has happened to them since the beginning of this nightmare. He thought it would help him remember parts that he may have forgotten. He treated it as therapy as well. The guilt was heavy, he could blame some of it on not having the right supplies or facilities, but in the end, his patient died.

Greg spends the next day laying out everything in his room, there is a code there if he could only crack it.

He will begin to research the UR language using the spiral as an approach to how to translate it.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 am
by ghill
Greg,Can I have an idea roll, please.
OOC:   LIz - There is all the normal stuff Fomalhaut is a young A-type star approximately twice the mass of our sun, located 25 light years from Earth in the constellation Piscis Austrinus. Interestingly, for those living in the northern hemisphere, it can only be spotted slightly above the horizon during early winter. The star seems to hold some significance to older religion - digging into this is probably going to take Liz a day or so of study.  
OOC:   Andy finds the similar details as Liz following this up will take a few more day effort

Andy finds nothing about the City of Yb, Deserts of Shem apart from some inference that Shem may have been the name of a region in Midwestern Africa at some point.

Andy finds no references to the Atahath tribe/people whatever source Gossham had it's not currently present in the British Library or not cross-referenced as such.

Linear A script, origins, theories, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_A (looking at examples of this Andy see's some very basic similarities between this and the script, but they are very, very slight, it is simply another language which no one knows how to read as far as he can tell.  

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz continues looking for references to Fomalhaut in older religions, keeping her friends informed of her discoveries.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy liaises with Liz, and decides to concentrate on researching the religious aspects regarding the star Fomalhaut.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 pm
by BenTheRat
Spoiler:
idea roll, [dice]0[/dice]
Greg has an idea.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 am
by ghill
Looking through the photos for what feels like the hundredth time, Greg comes upon the inscription on the base of the statue of Alexander, deciding to see if he can make a better go of translating the Latin, now he has access to a Latin dictionary he settles down to transcribe the Latin only to realize the inscription he's looking at is in Greek. Translating the first couple of phrases of ancient Greek even with the help of his laptop takes him the best part of the afternoon, but by then Greg is confident the Greek inscription is the same as the Latin inscription, and if the Greek and Latin inscriptions are the same then there is every reason to believe the inscription in the 'script' on the third face is also the same and that he has found the key to translating the script.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg immediatly lets the rest of the group know, and then starts trying to put together a key using the statue like a rosetta stone.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm
by ghill
Greg can I have a POW roll, please.

Andy/Liz spend an infuriating couple of days largely because the books they seem to want only seem to be present in very special collections scattered around the world. The star Fomalhaut does seem to have connections to legends of living fire. These "Fire Vampires" are described as an escort to their ruler who is known not as Verbti, but as Cthugha or perhaps Fthagugua. Cthugha also seems to have some connections to Afghanistan, the Carthaginians, and the Zoroastrians. In addition in the case of Cthugha, he is said to have been imprisoned on Fomalhaut millennia ago, by other gods, there is some reference to the Kutulu pantheon but all references point to other books in collections which require special access. In fact, the Superintendent of books explains when asked about a couple of books the British Library contains that he has to satisfy himself, your credentials are good (they aren't) and your purpose serious, and that you are unlikely to steal, mark, or mutilate the books.
OOC:   Sorry work/home life is killing me at the moment  

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps Jacob or Greg would have better luck gaining access to the special books," suggests Liz to Andy. "A scholar and a doctor would have a better chance than a goofy undergrad and a reporter. Anyway, we did find out some useful things. I hadn't expected that we were dealing with aliens. That's so cool - and, at the same time, hot."

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am
by ghill
OOC:   No the bar for access is considerably higher than that, the only person with a realistic chance of providing you with credentials is someone Like Gossham (ie a person in the field, not simply an academic) This collection simply aren't available to members of the public. OOG: These are mythos tomes we're talking about here they're simply not available.  

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Could [b]Westerlund[/b] get access, or is the scandal hanging over his head enough to block him? We should probably meet with him either way.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:21 pm
by BenTheRat
POW Roll,here it goes. [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   damn, just missed.  

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 pm
by ghill
Greg texts his companions and then gets straight down to translating the script he quickly getting drawn into the process.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:57 pm
by ghill
Mr Handy,You get the impression that even someone like Westerlund wouldn't automatically get access, or he might but he wouldn't be able to provide enough in the way of bona fide to get you access. Do not worry there is not much significant detail down this trail beyond the fact that Verbti is probably their name for Cuthugha.
PRIVATE: Greg,Greg finds himself completely engrossed by the translation and the details it reveals so much so that he pretty much forgets everything else that he's doing beyond eating when he's hungry and drinking when he's thirsty. Greg estimates the murals are made up of twenty distinct sections serving as a visual representations of the demands Verbti makes on his worshipers, as mnemonic devices, and as teaching tools to inform the illiterate of the Verbetoi beliefs and stories. The murals present a vast compendium touching on nearly every aspect of the Verbetoi religion including charts and star maps. The writing which accompanies the murals would best be compared with Hindu or Buddhist Sutras, some are concise texts intended to be memorized by students studying their scripture, some are poems, some instructional texts giving practical advice as to how a good Verbetoi should go about his life and others describe important events in their history including the Verbetoi’s interaction with other Mythos entities or their cults. Basically to decipher the Tome (the murals are effectively one great massive Mythos tome) and understand the murals would probably take Greg a couple of years (100 weeks), but he can try and identify sections and look for details (5 weeks for each 1 of the 20 sections for simplicities sake) However, at the moment Greg is so caught up with the idea of translating and understanding this tome he's not doing anything else but studying!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We should still all meet with [b]Westerlund[/b] so that we can compare notes and coordinate our research.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:38 am
by carnage_lee
Any Wade

Reading and making the connection that the 'living fire' has some sort of mystical connection gives Andy nightmares, he dreams of vast distances, a gigantic malevolent ball of fire hurtling through space that is somehow a star and also a terribly ancient alien being. The living flames confined to a remote part of the cosmos but waiting, waiting for release from its bindings, yearning for the time when once again it can rain fiery destruction upon all of creation. Like a baleful eye moving across the night-sky Verbti calls out across the vastness of space and time, calling to those foolish enough to believe its promises...

Waking with a thumping headache, feverishly hot the meaning of his nightmares evaporate, leaving him with just a lingering dread and a sluggishness, sapped of energy. After drinking some water and swallowing a couple of paracetamol for his throbbing head he tries to get back to sleep, dozing fitfully not quite falling into deeper slumber, mercifully spared more feverish dreams.

Waking at 7am, Andy drinks coffee and eats his breakfast, he still feels hot, he's coming down with a cold.

Later on he phones Liz and they discuss their research again, filling in little points here and there but it's apparent that without being able to gain access to the mysterious restricted books they aren't going to get much more information. The conversation moves onto joining up and meeting with Westerlund it's then that they realise that neither of them had heard from Greg in fact it become apparent that they have both tried his phone on a few occasions without getting through to him.

Making arrangements to meet later on and to go and visit the American, Andy promising to get in tough with Jacob and trying to get him along as well.
OOC:   So, basically I'm proposing we three meet up and then go visit Greg to see why he's be out of touch for a few days.  

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope nothing's happened to Greg," says Liz. "We'd better go see him quick."

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 am
by BenTheRat
Greg,no change. he will eat, use the bathroom, and only sleep as much as he has to. Otherwise keep working on it. This is fascinating and nothing is going to get in his way right now.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 am
by ghill
OOC:   Having not heard from Royya for some time. I'll give him a couple of days to respond after which I will run him as an NPC.  
Andy and Liz's calls to Greg go straight to answerphone.

Westerlund is happy to speak anytime giving you a timetable of his lessons and a private number to get in touch.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 am
by ghill
Jaco responds confirming he is staying with relatives in Israel he confirms he's on the way back and has conducted some research in his absence:

He found references to Shem as a place covering what is now Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine, and Arabia. In the Bible, Shem is Noah's eldest son, the ancestor of the Hebrews, Arabs, and Assyrians; hence, the modern "Semite" and Semitic languages (via Greek Sem), used properly to designate the family of languages spoken by these peoples as the script and apparently the spoken language bear no resemblance to Hebrew or any of the other Semitic languages. There are however references to The Waste, a barren, desolate desert in eastern Shem, he's even found a quote "the dusty red valley appears is the bed of an ancient dead sea. It stretches dead flat from the near vertical base of the jagged peak. Across the waste, shards and monoliths lie scattered like toy idols. At the base of the Desperation chain is an oasis called Tal'ib, the "City in the Waste". Jacob wonders whether that dead sea might now be the Mediterranean?
OOC:   Jacob is back as of this post so feel free to progress as you see fit.  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we should all go to [b]Greg[/b]'s place to check up on him.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 pm
by ghill
When they arrive at Greg's hotel the hotel receptionist rings up and gets no answer. Andy, Liz and Jacob, however, are able to sneak up to Greg's room where they find a Do not disturb sign on the door and a pile of plates and cutlery by the door

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Uh oh," says Liz. "You don't suppose he's gone doolally like Maria did? Well, at least he's remembering to eat." She raps on the door. "Greg, are you in there?"

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm
by ghill
BenTheRat,Its entirely up to you how you handle things Greg really doesn't want to be disturbed, but he's not been driven over the edge like Maria was this is something different he simply wants to be left to discover the secrets of the Murals ("mythos tome")

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm
by BenTheRat
You hear a muffled voice from the other side of the door, "Just leave the food by the door." Having not remembered really if he had ordered it or not. Whatever it was, it could wait. This part was particularly tricky and Greg needed all his attention.

Things had become a blur over the last few days, things were moving so fast, his head was spinning. He would stop on occasion to make sure he didn't go bonkers like the others, get some sleep and eat. This part was too important to stop on right now.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose he'll open the door eventually when he gets hungry," says Liz, "but that could take hours." She raises her voice. "Greg, it's us! Let us help you!"

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:23 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg closed his eyes, "Jesus, can't a guy have a minute alone?" he yelled out. What was wrong with these people?

Greg jerked the door open with an emphatic, "What the hell do you want?" but the end of the sentence trailed off as the faces of his friends, the ones he had faced life and death with came into focus. Greg look haggard, worn, tired and dirty. He hadn't bathed or even changed his clothes in several days. His beard didn't help things either since it was patchy and ill formed.

"Liz, Andy, Jacob, of course come in." he says backing away. The weariness of the last few days catching up to him all at once, making him weary.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:22 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy tries to keep the look of shock off his face at seeing Greg's condition, the guy looked a mess.. he must have been affected just as Maria had been. This was more than obsession it was obvious that Greg wasn't taking care of himself if the ripe odour coming off of him was anything to go by.

"Hi Greg, good to see you.. Andy says warily, scanning his friends face for any sings that he might be unstable...
OOC,Andy is worried that Greg might have gone too far (like Maria) and be a danger to himself or others in his single mindedness. He'll suggest Greg get shaved and showered and then they all go eat...

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz follows Andy inside. "Hey, Greg," she says. "You look like you've been busy. What have you been up to?"

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am
by ghill
So Greg has clearly been entirely preoccupied with feverishly translating/researching the photos (Using the three distinct dedications on the plinth of the statue of Alexander at the beginning of the maze in Albania as his 'Rosseta Stone'). Greg appears fatigued and unkempt but does seem rational. At this point, he has broken up the murals into 20 separate 'chapters' and after a week is well on the way to completing the first of those.
Greg,Can I have a POW roll, please.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 pm
by BenTheRat
Power roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm
by BenTheRat
After hearing the greetings he perked up a bit and when Liz asked about what he had been doing his eyes lit up. "Let me show you, come in here." Greg leads the others into his main work room. Papers are strewn around the room and hung on the walls. "Don't touch anything, its all in a specific order."

Greg will go through everything he's done.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is impressive," says Liz. "I don't think Maria got this far. I hope you're not as obsessed as she became. You don't have the urge to go potholing, do you?"

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:47 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg was jumping from sentence to sentence with an irregular cadence, "Don't be silly, I'm just excited, this could be one of the greatest discoveries in centuries.", he picks up a picture of the statue, "This is the key, its a Rosetta stone. It has Latin, Greek, and the Verboti language all on it. Sure, I'm still guessing on some of the words and phrases. Also, I'm no linguist, we really need to get a professional in ancient languages involved."

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't help it if I'm silly," says Liz with a goofy grin. "Asking me not to be silly is like asking me not to breathe. We should go talk to Westerlund and let him know what you've discovered. He may know linguists who could help."

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 am
by ghill
BenTheRat only,So [b]Greg[/b] is caught up in [i]Frenzied Research[/i] this means he works twice as fast in his research but at a risk of Sanity loss, with his high Power [b]Greg[/b] is probably the most ably equipped to handle it. However, failed POW rolls result in -1 SAN at the point you've lost 5 SAN, you'll start to lose 1HP with every subsequently failed POW roll - representing the fact you have become so engrossed you don't look after yourself. The upshot is [b]Greg[/b] won't allow himself to be separated from his work. IG you may either play a very distracted [b]Greg[/b] who occasionally raises his head from his work to comment, alternatively as [b]Royya[/b] seems to have disappeared for the moment you can play [b]Jacob[/b] and leave [b]Greg[/b] in the hotel surrounded by his work.
Even as he's speaking, Greg amends a piece of his work as he realises a better meaning to his translation

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Um..." says Liz, "maybe you should take a break from this. Would you like to go out for something to eat?"

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm
by BenTheRat
"Now who's talking crazy, I'm really not hungry. There is just too ..." He leaves the sentence off as he graps a piece of paper and furiously writes something down.
Keeper,haha, not a chance. Having a blast playing Greg now. He is going to keep working on this.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"It doesn't have to be food," says Liz. "We could go to the cinema, or get some drinks down the pub. Do you remember how when we first met you were flirting with me and I turned you down? Well, I'm starting to reconsider. Would you really rather work on this than go on a date with me? It'll still be here when you get back."

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 am
by BenTheRat
Greg doesn't even look back at Liz, "no thanks, I don't care for..." as he trails off he rips another piece of paper out of his notebook and began to write again.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's definitely something wrong with him," Liz tells Andy and Jacob. "Who wouldn't want to go out with me? I'm adorkable! Hmm...I wonder if it would snap him out of it if I snogged him?"

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:05 pm
by ghill
"Are you looking after yourself properly Greg?" says Jacob "We do not want you going the same way as Maria, you are getting enough to eat and at least getting some regular sleep?"

Greg,...an insight, when the Romans killed all their priests and destroyed their temples they effectively destroyed the Verbti's written language, they have a spoken language but the spelling and phonetics aren't the same as the original language. Its likely that a whole layer of Verbti culture, mythology and dare he say it magic has been missing since then.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Greg, mate... when did you eat last?" Andy asks.. "Tell you what.. why don't you explain to Liz and JAcob what you've discovered and I'll go get something to eat and drink. What do you say guys... burgers... coffee?"

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am
by ghill
OOC:   Just a reminder there was a pile of plates outside Greg's room some of which looked relatively fresh and this is a reasonably good hotel so those plates aren't going to sit there for days - so he has at least eaten relatively recently - whether his diet is regular balanced and healthy is an entirely different matter.  

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd prefer pizza and tea myself," says Liz.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Tell you what, why don't we all go.. the fresh air will do you good.." he says addressing the last remark to Greg "and you can 'catch us up' with your research over coffee.. or tea."

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:58 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg ignores most of your inquiries, but when Andy mentions coffee, he perks up a bit. "A pot of coffee sounds great. Can you order some from room service?" and he goes back to his work.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should all go out," says Liz. "When's the last time you went outside, Greg?"

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"That's right Greg we're all going out to get coffee, you need a break from this.." he waves his hand at the papers scattered about, "and you can bring us all up to date.. " he says smiling.
OOC:   We can go on like this forever... or we can decide on a way to resolve this...

I suggest an opposed roll .. an interpersonal skill vs Gregs POW (x5) - success for Greg means he's resistant to efforts to get him out of the room, otherwise he'll come (no doubt grumbling and anxious) with us.

Of course it may well boil down to us trying to manhandle him out of the room ...  

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am
by ghill
OOC:   Sorry, I've been rather distracted of late otherwise I would have taken a bit more control over matters when it was just batting backwards and forwards. Also, I know BenTR is rather enjoying himself at the moment so I'll eave it to him to put this into IC words. Basically, Greg is under the effects of "Feverish Research" he is so into what he's doing that the research times are halved (but he pretty much spends every waking hour researching. There is definitely a risk to this he may become so distracted that he neglects himself (eventual slow HP loss) but Greg is very strong willed so the chances of this are significantly less than most. If he was well monitored then that risk could be mitigated - remove him from the hotel and he will not be able to feverishly study.

Oh and obviously it goes without saying he is translating and studying a Mythos tome with the possible hiccups this involves.  
BenTR,Pretty much everything Gossham postulated in his Thesis is if the mural is to be believed correct. The Verbetoi named after their God Verbti a hostile spirit of fire, are from a period pre-recorded history, Geographically somewhere sub Saharan Africa, they fled northwards to a ruined city which may have been in what was the Mediterranean basin prior to it becoming a Sea, they escaped to high ground (island of Malta) with their civilisation largely intact, The mural is not only a record of their history but details their rituals and culture and a very granular level its essentially three murals. Greg is currently struggling with the idea that some of the rituals might actually be what the uneducated might call spells.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Come on mate, it looks like you've been cooped up in here since we got back from .." Andy starts, he doesn't name the place where Albert died and they abandoned Clay, if he doesn't say the name.. he doesn't have to think about what happened there... he shakes himself "Anyway.. you need to fill us in on what you've discovered it's obviously very important.. maybe the key to the whole damn thing. And it's also obvious that you need a break... you're a Doctor.. you know you do. Besides talking it over with us will help you get things straight in your head." Andy says in his best conciliatory tone, trying to persuade his friend to take a break.
OOC:,Persuade 55% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg gets a bit tired of the constant harrasement. "Look guys I'm fine okay. I may not have taken a shower today, but I've eaten. I haven't been affected like some others. I'm on the verge of a big break through. Why don't you guys go grab some pizza and coffee, and then bring me back some and we can talk then."

Greg wants to usher them out the door at this point so he can get back to work.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we could help if you walk us through what you've been doing," says Liz. Even I don't get this obsessed playing Civilization IV, she thinks. Of course, it helps that you can make it keep the current time displayed on the screen and set an alarm.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am
by ghill
While the others have been trying to get Greg to take a break Jacob has been carefully going through some of Greg's notes.

Oy gevalt! is this correct Greg, Gossham's paper is true, the mural is proof? You'll forgive me if I paraphrase guys but looking through Greg's own notes and Greg correct me if I have this wrong. The Verbetoi named after their God Verbti a hostile spirit of fire, are from a period pre-recorded history, Geographically somewhere sub Saharan Africa, they fled northwards to a ruined city which may have been in what was the Mediterranean basin prior to it becoming a Sea, they escaped to high ground (island of Malta) with their civilisation largely intact, The mural is not only a record of their history but details their rituals and culture and at very granular level its essentially three murals.
OOC:   Stealing BenTheRat's thunder somewhat but lets progress some.  

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 am
by BenTheRat
Greg immediately turned around and was back, "yea, isn't it great stuff." He just starts and doesn't stop. "when the Romans killed all their priests and destroyed their temples they effectively destroyed the Verbti's written language, they have a spoken language but the spelling and phonetics aren't the same as the original language. Its likely that a whole layer of Verbti culture, and mythology has been missing since then."

When he covers everything he has uncovered so far, he stops when he is done, Greg slumps looking exhausted.
OOC:   Sorry, been meaning to do that, and just hasn't really had time.  

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"There could be more to be found at that site in Malta," says Liz. "That's why the dig was stopped, to keep it from coming to light. We all need to talk to Westerlund and show him what you've found. He could be of great help."

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 am
by carnage_lee
Any Wade

"Jeez, no wonder you look so frazzled... that's a heck of a lot of research to have put together. And Liz is right we need to put all this information to Westerlund."
OOC,Andy will phone the Prof and arrange a meeting, for the next day - the group travelling up to him (I guess).

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 am
by ghill
The professor is happy to meet, positively anxious if Andy mentions anything about the photo's, proof or Greg's translations. He is happy to meet wherever Andy suggests.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 pm
by carnage_lee
ghill wrote:The professor is happy to meet, positively anxious if Andy mentions anything about the photo's, proof or Greg's translations. He is happy to meet wherever Andy suggests.
Was the Prof., perhaps, over-eager...?
Psychology,25 [dice]0[/dice]
Nope, seemed perfectly OK as far as Andy is concerned... fingers crossed.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should meet him as soon as possible," says Liz. "Should we invite him here? This is where all the research is, and it's not exactly portable."

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm
by BenTheRat
"That sounds great, I can't wait to hear what a professional has to say about what I've come up with." Greg says. "Oh crap, I need to get all my notes in order .." He trails off as he starts going through is reems of papers and notes.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am
by ghill
Andy,if Andy tells the Prof about Greg's work then he is genuinely excited, but if Andy says that he simply wants to talk then he simply says he'd like to see you all as he has something he wants to share with you.
The professor arrives at Paddington Station the next evening carrying what looks to be a cricket bag, he seems happy to see you and clearly wants to know what you have found out. But its clear to everyone he has something to tell you "bursting" might be the appropriate expression.
OOC:   You have to return to Greg's hotel room for him to talk to Greg or show him Greg's notes.  

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:21 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy will suggest getting back to Greg's room ASAP, then they can all discuss what they have discovered.  

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Liz[/b] agrees.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 am
by ghill
The professor listens to Greg's discoveries upto this point and is quite fascinated by Gregs use of the plinth as a 'Rosetta Stone'

Its all quite fascinating and I hope you will allow me some time to carry out my own studies, but I have something to show you. The professor unzips the sports bag he brought with him and pulls out the sceptre wrapped in a cloth as well as a large church candle which he places on a table before lighting it. Then holding the sceptre in one hand he mutters some words under his breath then holds his hand in the flame. "I don't know how it works but after I say the words and as long as I hold the sceptre I seem fireproof.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wow!" exclaims Liz, staring goggle-eyed. "That could be quite useful." A pity we didn't have it in Albania, she thinks. "How did you find about that?"

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy look on agog as he watches the professor "Jeez... that's fucking amazing!" he blurts out.. his mind ticks over.. how could they make use of this? Andy waits for the answer to Liz's question.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm
by ghill
I'm a bit cack handed, I smoke, I overfilled my zippo and when the nicotine urge comes I'm not as careful as I should be. I was doing some research with the sceptre and spilt burning lighter fuel over myself while trying to light my fag with one hand. It protects your clothes but it is not perfect. I seem to get a bit tired if the fire is bigger or hotter but the level of protection seems the same. I don't think you really need to understand the words on the sceptre just concentrate on them. If we're going to accept the whole its magic stuff then I think there is something weird about the book as well but I can't work it out. When I have it open sometimes its like I'm being watched.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:13 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg isn't sure if he believs the whole fire proof thing. He saw a carnival once as a kid and someone did a similar trick. History is one thing, with languages and he's seen some pretty weird stuff. "Pretty neat trick there. I'm still not sure I buy 'magic' per se."

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"How about 'sufficiently advanced technology?'" says Liz. "However it's done, there's no denying that it works. You could always try it yourself."

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am
by ghill
Either way, the Professor is able to show all of you the text what to say or do and repeat the same effect. However, while he is demonstrating this to Jacob, Jacob apparently starts a spontaneous fire among some of Greg's discarded papers.

Jacob suggests that when he was about to put his hand in the flame he thought about the flame going somewhere else.

OOC:   In essence the Sceptre allows the investigator to create a small fire and provides protection from the same. Protection from a small fire takes 2MP lasts 5 rounds. Creating a small flame 1MP and happens instantaneously.

Can I have SAN rolls please failure results in the loss of 1 SAN - Magic or science it is pretty mindblowing  

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 pm
by BenTheRat
"Whoa, what the hell man, I don't think we should be playing around inside the hotel, you're going to destroy all my work." Greg says as he stamps the fire out.
Sanity Roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Er...let's not try that again," says Liz.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 57) for seeing the sceptre's effects: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 pm
by ghill
The Professor sits down with a smile on his face. So whats the plan now? he says. "Does any of this explain why Adrian was murdered and why I was set up? I mean its all amazing groundbreaking stuff, but I mean sure it isn't worth murdering for, is it?"

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think they're murdering people for their god, Verbti," says Liz. "My research also indicates that he's called Cthugha or Fthagugua. According to the mythology I've found, he was imprisoned in the star Fomalhaut millennia ago, which is associated with living fire. Maybe they think they can set him free, which would be bad all around. They may be trying to do away with anyone who gets too close to the truth and finds out too much about them, for fear their plans will be disrupted."

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm
by ghill
Greg didn't you say they really didn't know how to read their own language? Putting aside how ridiculous the idea of freeing some intergalactic being from space prison with magic is, how do they read their religious tracts? How do they maintain their religion and if there is a process for releasing their "God" how will they remember it after tens of thousands of years? says Westerlund.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 am
by BenTheRat
"Just because they can't read their old language doesn't mean the stories can't be written down elsewhere, otherwise they have to pass things along with stories. Generation to generation passing stories down similar to the Jews in the days of old." Greg answers.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"They could also have passed their stories on orally," suggests Liz. "Many cultures have a long storytelling tradition."

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am
by ghill
Westerlund now clearly in lecture mode "Yes, they do indeed and while transmission through speech and song typically includes folktales, ballads, chants to transmit oral history, oral literature, oral law there are certainly examples of oral traditions being used to transmit canonical scriptures and secular knowledge such as the Hindu Vedas. But in all these cases the religious cast existed to teach the tradition, but you intimated that Romans killed all the Verbti Priests and leaders. No, I think you'll find that a great deal of their religious tradition is completely lost, well unless someone else has found this Rosetta stone of Greg's that is."
OOC:   Sorry I'm using Westerlund as your KNOW rolls. In essence what you have discovered is that the Verbti have indeed lost the greater part of their culture/religion. In CoC terms, they are still cultists worshipping a Great Old One but without really understanding how they might want to set Cuthugha/Verbti free. None of which really explains why Gossham was murdered :)  

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy listens intently to Westerlund's explanation of how he discovered the 'sceptre's' power and with some trepidation takes his turn reciting the words and exposing his hand to the flame... amazed at the effect.

He helps extinguish the small fire that Jacob inadvertently starts.

"I think Liz has a point .." he starts before Westerlund launches into his explanation of how 'oral tradition' would go hand in hand with a 'priesthood'.

"Well... anyone that had access to the cave system on that mountain would have the same access that we did, so it's entirely possible that some of the Verbti have access to the 'key' and could have done similar work to Greg." he pauses and nods to Greg acknowledging the work that he has done. "I think it's likely that Gossham was killed because he had ... umm.. well 'stole' these artefacts .. most probably from the same cave system we were in." he pauses again suddenly worried "Doesn't the fact that we've managed to make these 'translations' make us more of a target... if they knew, I mean.." he looks around at Greg's research "Shit... this stuff is really dangerous.."
Sanity Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I don't want to lose sight of the significance of the 'gold book' - perhaps it has been used to spy on Prof W ... maybe it has another purpose.
Andy loses 1 pt of SAN for sure.  

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could be one or more of those artefacts could function as the Rosetta Stone," says Liz. "So maybe the Verbetoi are trying to do what we're doing, translate the old language so they can figure out how they're supposed to free their god. Perhaps Kush nderton funded Gosshamm's work so that they could get him to find this stuff for them, but once he made off with it, they took action. We need to find out more about them."

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:20 pm
by ghill
OOC:   She shoots, she scores! - if we were around at table you'd all probably see me smile at this point. Not 100% but nearly.  
Verbetoi society has almost certainly suffered from cultural drift in the last couple of millennia with no written history there will have been slow, altering of their society, its traditions, morals, and behavioural trends all of them will have altered over time. The people wanting to free their god may not have the support of the majority of the Verbetoi or even a large minority they are almost certainly viewed as fringe 'cult' for want of a better term says Westerlund

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"So the group that we've encountered are like some sort of Verbi Fundamentalist group.. that makes a lot of sense.." Andy pulls a couple of notebooks from his bag and flicks through one.. "Aha! so the bloke we want to investigate is probably Alex Rudaj; seeing as the other two trustees are Voseper and Reddrup, they'd be the partners in the law firm, right? Rudaj that could be Albanian.. right?"

Andy taps his pen against his lips as his mental gears work away ... "Liz... you still got that number that Alex gave you?"

OOC:   We can ask Alex 1) what he knows about Kush Nderton and 2) if he's heard of Alex Rudaj and what he knows about him if he does.

We do have an address (in Beaconsfield) that was gotten from the 'search' Clay and Jacob did of R&V's offices, for Rudaj. The address turned out to be tied with a 'high end' lettings agency and LIz's searches didn't come up with more detail that being involved with the charity.  

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Alex comes back to say he's never heard of either  
OOC:   Beaconsfield is a market town and south Buckinghamshire around 20 WNW of London, its a fairly wealthy commuter town. A google search of the address shows a fairly modern looking building surrounded by high walls and security gates.  

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we're going to be able to get in there without being invited," says Liz, looking at the building on her laptop's screen. "And if we did, we prolly wouldn't get out. But there are other ways of finding out stuff. If we can't do it physically, we could do it digitally."

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Yeah, that place doesn't look like it encourages visitors, perhaps a 'softer' target is the lettings company... getting to see their records might be a touch easier." Andy nods towards the sceptre "And we have something that can help us cause a distraction..."
OOC:   I still think we could use the artefacts to 'smoke' out the other side.. post pictures of the coin belt with a notice that it's been found and wanting to return it to the rightful owners.

I can see the sceptre being useful ... use it in the lettings agency offices to start a small fire while in reception - use the evacuation to sneak in and see what we can find.  

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
by ghill
OOC:   As an aside, the following was discovered when you investigated the Verbti Shepard in CH1:

Liz discovered the following - On 7th September 2005 six properties on the street were sold to Centrepoint Limited. Within hours of purchasing the estate, Centrepoint Limited sold the properties separately: two to Kinglee Limited and two to Treeview Properties Limited. Number 121 was sold to an Idriz Patrella (the baddy) at a considerable discount by Kinglee Limited. Forty-eight hours later it was put into a trust administered by Redrupp and Vosper. The adjoining 123 remained a holding of Treeview Properties. The directors of Centrepoint Limited are Mr Daniel Gaiman of Guildford and Mrs Jane Smith of Reading. Kinglee limited and Treeview Properties are registered in the Isle of Man, making it extremely difficult to trace their ownership.

Also...

The properties in Malta were all owned by Green Meadows Holding, Greg and Jacob found documents in the offices of Redrupp and Vosper which seemed to indicate R&V purchased all the land the dig sites were on either for Green Meadow Holdings or that GMH was a front company for R&Vosper. GMH is registered in the Isle of Man.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that is a thought," says Liz. She reminds the others of what she had discovered.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:18 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg nods, "of course that makes a lot of sense. This fringe group probably helped the professor get as far as he did, till he betrayed them. Too bad we don't have Clay still, he could have helped with this breaking in business. "

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Can I have a KNOW roll from Andy - Success means that as a result of experience in investigating similar stories about fraud and tax evasion he has some understanding of how the Lettings company might be being used as a cut out to cover the activities. The downside is the chances of finding anything incriminating outside of a forensic accounting investigation is slim.

Everyone else can I have 2x IDEA rolls, please
1st IDEA Rolls success - An alternative to the professor betrayed theory is they simply had or thought they had what they wanted from him.
2nd IDEA roll is difficult 1/2 normal chance.
Alternatively work hard and think about what you heard when you first arrived in Terrana, and see if that triggers any further thoughts.  

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:34 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   1st Idea roll: target = 70 [dice]0[/dice]
2nd Idea roll: target = 35 [dice]1[/dice]  
Greg continues, "They could have just been done with the guy and figured no loose ends. What a shame."
ghill,I did get a crit success, not sure if that provides any extra insight.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point," says Liz. "I've thought of something else too..."
OOC,Idea roll (75% stat) to think of another reason [b]Gosshamm[/b] may have been killed: [dice]0[/dice] Idea roll (75 / 2 = 37.5% stat) for something else: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm
by ghill
OOC:   So the following is made up of a couple of bits of info which you found and a third which I'm giving you now because it seems reasonable

1. There were a firebombing and big shootout in Tirana in the two days, before you arrived in Terrana several policemen and a handful of bystanders were killed, no one knows what was behind the events.

2. Not discovered in play but reasonable it would have come up in conversation during the long car journey north - Lek and Alex put the firebombing shootout at the feet of the Verbti they said a bunch had travelled down from the north of the country chasing someone else.

3. Andy found used cartridges in the cave system and Greg can confirm having studied the photos there are several bullet holes in the murals.

What if someone else had already been into the caverns where the murals were and either stole something or did as you did photograph everything clearly not covertly if the empty shell cases are to be believed.  

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Someone else was in that cave before us," says Liz, "and not just Maria. Maybe whoever it was went looking for her too. Remember when we first got to Tirana? There'd been a firebombing and shooting there a couple of days before. The Verbetoi had come from the north chasing someone. And then there were those shell casings in the caves. We need to find out who else went in there and what, if anything, they took out."

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:20 pm
by BenTheRat
"Did we save any of the shell casings? I'm no detective, but could there be finger prints on them?" Greg asks.

"And whoever went there, probably needed a guide like we did? Maybe we can make a few calls and see if the people who took us, took anyone else or do they know of other guides who might have taken someone?"

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought," says Liz. "Let's give Alex a call."

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 am
by ghill
When you finally get in touch with Alex, he says he doesn't know anything other than what people were gossipping about. He says he'll come back after he's made some phone calls.

Can I have a party luck roll please (whoever has the worst Luck in party) and a couple of credit rating rolls, please?

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I think our worst luck is 65% for Andrew. Something good about dumping Clay. 8-)
For credit ratings we are a poor ass bunch. Gregs is 35, the next best is Jacob at 16. If he isn't around we have the rest of you at 15%.  
Greg checks the last of his credit cards to see if it's maxed yet.
[dice]0[/dice]

"I think I got just enough to cover this."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't look at me," says Liz. "I'm skint."
OOC,Credit Rating roll (15% base skill) dealing with [b]Alex[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 pm
by ghill
Alex isn't asking for a vast amount of cash just some to oil the wheels so to speak.

There are some indications it is a Northern clan settling scores for some implied slight. But Alex adds that it seems as though it was all Verbetoi, apparently, a business deal with Serb gangsters went badly and the Serbs were chased all the way back to Tirana, However, the idea of anyone doing a deal in their home territory seems unlikely which would indicate the Serbs probably weren't invited.

A reporter friend says several cars were found in a farmer’s field just outside Tirana full of dead bodies, and further reports of a big fight up north. It looks like a deal between two criminal gangs which went wrong. After which the two gangs fought a running gun battle down through the country to Tirana. After a shootout in the central square, two of the survivors handed themselves to the police, however, whoever they were afraid of came after them in the police station.

A couple of local newspaper in the North claim that the countries smugglers were threatened into shutting up shop for a week after the incident. This may indicate someone they were after was still at large and trying to flee the country.

Alex adds a friend of his who works as a porter at Tirana airport says a bunch of Serbs and a few out of country Albanians (ie Albanian expats) landed in the country from Malta a week or so before this and flashed the cash to get themselves through customs and passports. Alex adds they flew in from Malta.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"If they came from Malta," says Liz, "whoever survived may have gone back there."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:25 pm
by BenTheRat
"Possibly," Greg added, "but I think its just a guess that they gave up and went home. They could be just hiding out planning their next move, kind of like us."

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's true," says Liz, "but we went home. In any case, they came from Malta, so we may be able to find out more about them there. That's another lead we can follow up when we go back there, but we have more to do here before that."

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Back now!

You wanted a know roll from Andy ... in case it's still pertinent:

Andy, Know = 85
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 am
by ghill
OOC:   The KNOW roll was about the value of breaking into the different property agencies. Andy's experience in investigating similar stories about fraud and tax evasion has left him with some understanding of how the Lettings company might be being used as a cut out to cover these sort of activities. He knows from bitter experience the chances of finding anything incriminating outside of a forensic accounting investigation is slim.

What might be more useful is seeing where their properties are concentrated, what properties they have recently bought and sold that sort of thing. This information is readily available, they can hide who they have bought and sold for but not what they've bought and sold.  

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am
by ghill
OOC:   So you have some new some old but renewed avenues of investigation and of course Greg risking his sanity to decipher that which not to be known - whats next?  

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we should deal with the UK leads before we think about heading back to Malta. We can look into the letting company's pattern of purchases and sales, which are public knowledge. Then perhaps some hacking might help us find out more about what the letting company is doing and who is using it.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy is very interested in hearing back from Alex, things started to drop into place, maybe the wrong places but the bits seemed to fit together, at least to him. He mulled things over for a while, making notes to help him work through their situation.

"They went back to Malta, because that is where they are based... or rather that is where they will act next.." he holds his hand up "Just hear me out... I've been trying to piece things together and what Alex told us about the events in Albania just before we arrived .. kind of made things 'click'." he flicks back through a few pages. "OK, so if we go back to the beginning..." Andy starts to recount his reasoning...
  • Gossham was funded by Kush nderton, they may have also nudged him in certain directions; the 'shards' found on Malta for instance.
  • Kush nderton's goal seems to be getting a way to translate the 'lost' language of the Verbetoi.
  • As soon as Gossham came through with enough data - his thesis, Gossham and anyone that may have come into contact with the thesis were killed... murdered.
  • Seeing as Kush nderton was backing Gosham its highly probably that the group of Verbetoi that we came across are linked to Kush nderton, or rather the person behind the 'charity'.
  • These Verbetoi are heavily involved in criminal activity and ruthless.
  • Someone had the Brichester Uni digs on Malta closed down, they don't want anyone working those sites. And that must link back to Kush nderton - those sites are important to them.
  • So, once Kush nderton get hold of Gossham's thesis a group of Albanians, Verbetoi according to Alex enter Albania from Malta
  • They must be the ones that got into the temple cave complex before we did.. they got involved in a fight but made there way back to Malta - some of them did anyway.
  • We don't know for sure if they got what they wanted ... i.e. the stuff the Greg has deciphered - assume they have but they still have to do the 'working out'.
  • Malta is the crux .. this is where things will happen.
  • Someone is calling the shots - we need to find out who it is ... cut the head off the snake.
"So.. we have a Verbetoi 'splinter' group that are intent on reviving the 'old ways' and won't let anyone stand in their way... and they are on Malta!"

Andy seems to be using 'Kush nderton' to refer to the charity and to 'a person'... he's intimating that Alex Rudaj is at the centre of things.

Andy is now fixated on trying to identify Alex Rudaj - put a face to that name. He'll start by trying to identify what properties have been bought sold...

OOC:   Sorry if I'm re-capping/going over old ground - trying to make up for being away.  

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I thought the Maltese chaps were Serbs and regular Albanians, not Verbetoi," says Liz. "But yeah, Alex Rudaj is the key. We should first find out whatever information is publicly available about him. Then we should find out whatever information isn't publicly available."

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Can we assume Lizis going to set her laptop and go to work? If so where is she going to start?

Greg, I assume keeps researching the books?

Andy?

Jacob will do whatever he's told to do.  
The professor will go back to the University but wants to take photos of all of Gregs research and get copies of the photos (if you haven't already sent him copies?

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:17 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I'll go online and start by finding out whatever I can about [b]Alex Rudaj[/b], first by getting whatever is publicly available.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:01 pm
by BenTheRat
"Yea, find out what you can about this Alex guy. I'll get back to work. Who knows there might be something that can help us in all of this." Greg says.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy runs to Westerlund "OK Prof... what did you mean when you said that the gold book gave you bad vibes?"
Andy IC:,Andy might not 100% believe in magic but there's been enough weird shit to take notice of any 'odd events'
OOC:,if the golden book is somehow allowing someone to spy 'remote view' on/through it then we could use that to our advantage, possibly laying a trap using the book as bait - or helping to give false info.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am
by ghill
God this will sound so childish. Says Westerlund it is like the book is bad or capable of something bad or f*ck me I don't know maybe its something bad's address book or something. He says with a forced laugh.
OOC:   LIZ (everyone) - Computer use to trawl the net for everything you can find about Alex Rudaj. After which, everyone (but Greg who is too tied up with his translating/research) can make a LIBRARY use roll. The trawl will take you about a week's effort.

GREG - Can I have a 2x POW rolls, please. First is from the feverish study At the end of this week, you will have effectively deciphered the first credible block of history. Failure is -1 SAN. The second POW roll is for SAN loss due to the discoveries.

Andy - is there something specific he wants to do?  

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:27 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Greg's Power rolls: target = 85 - [dice]0[/dice]

2nd Power roll for loss of sanity? [dice]1[/dice]

So Greg made the first one so I do not suffer -1 sanity. The 2nd one is for sanity loss?? So did I lose 86 sanity points, if so he just lost his mind. ;)  

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz crafts programs to crawl through the Internet to search for information on Alex Rudaj, "Go, my spideys," she says as she unleashes them. "Scour the web and bring back data for your queen."
OOC,Computer Use roll (70% skill) to trawl the Internet for information about [b]Rudaj[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Library Use roll (60% skill) to sort through the information: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54 am
by ghill
With a sigh Greg puts down the stack of papers, he has completed the first of the twenty-odd sections. (Tome details to follow)
Greg,Lose : 5 SAN The spaces in between really matter. The spaces in between one wave and the next. One job and the next, one adventure and the next. That’s where the good stuff happens if you allow it. You realise so much of your life is driven by a ‘make happen’ attitude. The belief that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. And yet, as you constantly remind yourself, ‘you can do anything you want. But you can’t do everything.’ There is a cost. It takes energy. Be that fossil fuels, or calories, or our soul-connection perhaps if you took more interest in those around you and the injuries they suffer you could get past these limitations. You do not have a [b]phobia[/b], you have a [b]fascination[/b] with injuries seeing people injured may lead to your complete distraction as you try and work out what their limitations were.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 am
by ghill
Greg,[b]+5% Cthulhu Mythos +4% Ancient History.[/b] Can you roll a D2 as well as D10 (number of times the D2) please
Liz's program starts to generate loads of leads many of which Liz realise are hardly informative (Alex attends function X for charity Y etc) refining it a bit more she continues to trawl through the data.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy will try and do the following:

1) Ask contacts he has (Jock?) if there's any rumours/information about Rudaj does he have link to crime gangs for instance. Try and get Rudaj's current whereabouts.
2) Get a picture of Rudaj - from Liz perhaps?
3) Look into the property deals.
4) Find out where the rest of 'Gossham's' artefacts are - get them somewhere safe.

5)Held follow up any leads that Liz generates.  

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,I can't update Greg, can you? d2 roll: [dice]0[/dice], d10 roll: [dice]1[/dice] I'm not sure what you meant, did you want me to roll a d2 a d10 times. (ie. I roll a 4, I roll 4d2s?
"I finished the 1st part, there is so much there, but I think I need a break. It's fascinating stuff." Greg says. "How is the search going?"

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:43 pm
by ghill
Greg,Much of What [b]Greg[/b] has read is simply about how the ancient Verbti lived and thrived in this pre-historical age. He has learnt two rituals one gives an edge to a blade so sharp it will cut things from other worlds and the other is a ritual to create a powder to allow him to see things which are hidden (more accurately things which are invisible) Greg thinks at least one of the sections is dedicated to religious rituals and might explain what everyone is looking for. Incredulous as it sounds at least one ritual intimated in the section he has just translated implies you can call on Verbti and talk to him.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,wow, very nice. I'm not going to contact mr. Verbti just yet.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm making good progress," says Liz, "but it's going to take more time to find something we can use. What have you discovered so far?"

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:44 am
by ghill
Greg,[b]Rit Bekoje Thikë –The Rite to Bless the Blade[Bless Blade][/b] Cost: 5 POW; 1D4 Sanity points Casting time: 1 hour Creates a blade capable of damaging or killing entities that cannot be harmed by mundane weapons. Requires the blood sacrifice of an animal of at least SIZ 50. The blade of the knife must be of an elemental metal such as iron or silver. The Verbetoi will only cast this spell on a virgin blade; one not yet used in anger The blade may be of any size; however, larger blades do greater damage (see Table: Weapons). If the blade is broken, melted or otherwise damaged it permanently loses this ability; however, it will not be harmed in attacks against supernatural entities. Alternative names: Imbue Might of the Elder Ones, Ritual of the Seven Cuts, Spirit’s Bane. [b]Tsh hiri e ndershëm burrë – Ashes of an honest man[/b] Casting time: 1 round to apply 1 dose Creates a grey-green powder that harms unnatural beings from other planes of existence. The powder requires the ashes of any pure Verbetoi man, As the definition of what is pure is extremely high in Verbetoi society this is actually a lot harder to acquire than might be expected. In all other aspects the spells are the same.; each such corpse suffices for three doses of the magic dust. The ingredients also include frankincense, sulphur, and saltpetre. An incantation must be said over the dust while it is being sprinkled. Sprinkled over a being not of this Earth, the entity loses 1D20 hit points per dose. It takes one round to apply a dose. The powder works only on extraterrestrial and other planar beings, thus the powder would harm a dimensional shambler, Yog-Sothoth or a mi-go, but is useless against a shoggoth or a deep one. Alternative names: The Egyptian Powder, Protection of the Dead.
OOC:   I'll have a list of the info Liz collates by the weekend - sorry it is more time consuming to pick out all the details.  

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 pm
by BenTheRat
"Well, according to this, I found what they believe to be a couple spells," Greg answered. "One will enchant a blade, so maybe it can be used on those fire guys we couldn't hit, and the other makes a powder that lets you see things that aren't there?? Not sure on that one. There also seems to be a way to contact their god. Personally, I think that's a bad plan." Greg adds, "that's just the first part, there are a lot more to go through, but I'm exhausted."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 am
by ghill
OOC:   Can I have a POW roll from Greg please he needs to make it otherwise the compulsion to keep going take him.  

Potted Bio For Alex Rudaj

First noted for having transformed a struggling import/export operation into a multi-million-pound business, now connected to a string of businesses. Leaving the task of running the businesses to his extended family Alex has re-invented himself not only as a successful and wealthy businessman but as a renaissance man acquiring a degree in Classics, a £3 million home in Buckinghamshire (Beaconsfield) and a reputation in the City as one of its most astute entrepreneurs.

Liz thinks that she has found (in)direct links to four properties and very hazy links to as many as 12 more (not places he'd live in but rentals???) One is the property in Beaconsfield, the second is a penthouse flat in London's docklands South Quay Plaza, the other two are both abroad one a chateaux in Southern France, the last a substantial villa in Malta.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 pm
by BenTheRat
POW Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Greg, turns and absentmindedly starts shifting through some papers clearing them out to get ready for another round of translations. "I should really take a break, but I could just do this first bit here..." He stops himself mid sentence.

"No, I need a break, get me out of here guys," Greg says.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Finally," says Liz, grabbing Greg by the arm and pulling him towards the door. "Let's go!"

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 am
by ghill
OOC:   Greg's imminent madness is delayed (honestly, are you really not going to continue reading :twisted: However, what next?  

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   yea, I passed by 1 point, so lets put it off by a couple days. A pint and some pizza sounds good. ;)  

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm
by ghill
OOC:   OK Liz Greg Andy and Jacob all go for a Pint and Pizza (although to be properly British they'd all go for a curry) After the second or third pint Jacob pipes up.  
What next?

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can refine my search and see what else I can dig up on Rudaj," says Liz. "Some hacking might be in order, but I'll have to be careful. We know they employ a hacker because they took down that website we set up, so they'll likely have defenses. I'd have to use proxies and multiple steps along my route so they can't trace me back."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:10 pm
by BenTheRat
"Be careful Liz," Greg adds in while grabbing another slice. "You Brits might like that Indian food, but give me some good old pizza any day." He takes a bite and takes a good drink. "Wow, I needed this thank you guys. I need to probably get back to the translations, there might be some information there that will help us in dealing with this whole mess."

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"I like a good curry as much as the next Brit," says Liz, also taking a new slice dripping with cheese, "but I know not to overdo it. Pizza is the fuel that keeps me going more often than not. I may be small, but I can really pack it away, and I've always been able to eat as much as I want without gaining weight. That translation looks like a long-term project, so the rest of us will need to continue our own work while you're doing that."

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 pm
by ghill
OOC:   OK...

Mr H a be a bit more specific about what you plan on doing what avenues of research Liz intends to follow. If hacking what, where you intend to try and hack.

BenTheRat - If Greg intends to go back to intensive study then we're back to POW rolls I'll deal with that in a separate post.  
Andy - discovers the following

1) Jock confirms there are rumours but absolutely no evidence about Rudaj having or having had link to crime gangs but this is similar to every Russian Oligarch having links to the Russian Bratva.

Efforts to try and get Rudaj's current whereabouts do not bear any fruit.

2) Get a picture of Rudaj - from Liz perhaps Despite Liz's best efforts she cannot find any photo of Rudaj from which you can make out enough detail to say he is a man of above average height and build probably in his 50's with dark hair, Liz suggests there is some indication that someone has purged the web of anything more useful.

3) Look into the property deals. - See Liz's post

4) Find out where the rest of 'Gossham's' artefacts are - The professor has been through the Universities records and identified everything Gossham ever admitted to having or owning all of which he has accounted for and are currently held in secure storage either at the university's archaeology department or the AR lab at OU in Milton Keynes, where he got them tested.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to see what I can find out about [b]Redrupp [/b]and [b]Vosper[/b] (the law firm as well as the partners) on the Internet, starting with what's publicly available, using the same technique I used to research [b]Rudaj[/b]. No hacking just yet. Let's see what I can find out first, and then I'll know what to look for when the time comes to hack.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am
by ghill
OOC:   Liz can quite easily ascertain the following:

The offices of Reddrup and Vosper are on Carter Lane in the shadow of St. Pauls Cathedral in the heart of the city, A former townhouse which has been extensively renovated in a steel and chrome style (at least downstairs in the rooms visible on street view)

Redrupp and Vosper by reputation. The offices of Redrupp and Vosper advertise themselves as experts in both company and commercial law, as well as advising high net worth individuals on their personal and financial affairs. Basically, if you want to hide your piles of cash from the Inland Revenue they're your man. By reputation, R&V are known to be highly litigious taking people to court if there is even the slightest hint, they or one of their clients has been involved in wrongdoing.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Michael Reddrupp embarked on a career as a Solicitor after studying law at Hull University. He joined his father’s firm as a trainee in 1981 qualifying as a Solicitor two years later specialising in commercial law. He was made Partner and Head of Litigation in 1987 in which role he acted principally in commercial litigation matters.

Gemma Vosper is the other senior partner in the law firm. She graduated with a law degree from London University in 1990, following a change of career. She became a Partner in 2003. Gemma specialises in property and employment law.

The security IT set up for the offices seems particularly hardened and professional Liz can't decide whether this is unusual or not considering the firms high net worth and corporate clients. - Any attack on the offices will take time and effort.  

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz shares what she's learned with her friends. "Redrupp and Vosper is likely to be a tough nut to crack," she says. "Maybe I should start with Alex Rudaj's home computer. It's prolly less protected."

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 pm
by ghill
Its a matter of moments for Liz to check and then check again but to Liz's surprise there doesn't seem to be an internet connection to the house in Beaconsfield

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Odd," says Liz with a smirk, "Alex Rudaj has no home Internet. It's almost like he doesn't want to get hacked. Well, if I'm going to try to get into Redrupp and Vosper's data, it's going to be the toughest nut I've ever cracked. I'd need to prepare carefully, and it would take a while."

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy stabs at the 'end call' button on his mobile, ending what seems like his twentieth call to the few contacts he has, he's not happy.. not happy at all. All he seems to have done is trade the few favours he had for the same information.. plenty of rumour but no proof.. no proof linking Rudaj with anything even remotely dodgy. Reading between the lines Andy got the distinct impression that a lot of people thought that investigating the Albanian crime gangs was a seriously bad idea. Worst of all was the tense conversation with Jock the editor who had initially sent him onto the story. Jock had made it crystal clear that too much time had passed without Andy filing anything and unless he could come up with anything juicy he was probably persona non grata at the papers' offices.

Glumly he rejoined the others and sat down with a heavy sigh. "Well that was a waste of time.. there's a lot of rumours about Rudaj but no one has ever been able to pin anything on him, I got the impression that anyone caught poking their nose into his business doesn't get anywhere, witnesses clam up or disappear and his tame legal team aka Redrupp and Vosper do great work in binding people up in red-tape and getting injunctions issued. I think you'd count yourself lucky if it was only R & V that went after you, to be honest." Andy looks at each of the others... they all know what he means.

Andy gulps down half his pint. "To be quite frank... we're the only people that have anything like 'the goods' on Rudaj and what we know is a lot of conjecture. There's probably enough to weave together into a fairly convincing story to link Gossham's death to Rudaj via the Kush n derten, or whatever the fuck they're called, link. And we could probably stretch things to link the land purchases on Malta and the closing of the Brichester digs to Rudaj but that would involve naming R & V directly, which is probably suicide." Andy stops, looks around before continuing in a low voice "Look, the bottom line is that if I don't get something to the paper 'toot sweet' my career, crappy as it is, is finished. The problem is ... if I write anything I'm probably finished too."
OOC:   OK, Andy knows that if they don't go after 'the rogue Verbi' then at some point Rudaj and his 'empire' will catch up to them. If they do go after Rudaj then they need to get clever.. very clever.
From his stand point the best bet is to write two or three pieces on Gossham's death - probably 'playing up' the ancient treasure angle and releasing snippets from Gossham's thesis and possibly using pictures of the coin (necklace/belt) and gold book and some of the pictures from their Albanian trip to shore up that angle.

Done right it might be enough to be able to persuade the paper to get him (maybe the others too) back to Malta ... to research the 'clincher' to the story - to do that Andy will have to gold back a lot of the 'proof' so that Jock can't stiff him and send someone else ... even then it'll be tricky to pull off.

Malta is a problem... we would not have any supplies (weapons) and the Albanians are plugged into the organised crime on the island. Alex might be able to get us contacts but that's dangerous. We 'might' be able to use the supplies that may be at the excavation sights but that not going to get us a lot more than tools.

Their best bet is to get as much info from Greg's research to work out how to stop/delay whatever Rudaj is planning - Rudaj has to do the same research - Gossham was killed before stuff got translated - which is why the ALbanian from Malta had to hit the cave network - they needed the 'real data' - so they have two weeks(?) head-start on the research.

If we want to stop this we have to get to Malta.  

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"In that case, we don't have time for a cyber assault on Redrupp and Vosper," says Liz. "Perhaps I could target Kush nderton. Their servers should be more vulnerable - then again, I might say the same of the Bank of England. Might be interesting to check the charity's emails and see if we can find a connection to Rudaj or the law firm."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy nods, "OK, yeah, that sounds good. I can get started on my piece and hopefully you can find a 'juicy' e-mail or two. Anything you can dig up I can work into the story, with enough spin it will start to look like a conspiracy... ought to be good enough to keep the paper on board."

"So Greg, is there any mention of 'Malta' in what you have discovered?
Something that might pin down where Rudaj and his goons might be drawn to?"
he asks.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:28 pm
by ghill
Greg,There is no mention of Malta itself, However in the section, Greg has just translated there is a reference to the plateau where Verbti's great temple was, there is also reference to a flood putting two and two together would the plateau become an island? Greg will need to read/translate more to work this out.
Liz can quite easily hack the Kush Nerdton's registered offices (takes her an hour or so, it is an embarrassment of riches as far as data is concerned because there doesn't seem to be any kind of security or any more than your typically non-IT literate person would have. The problem is there is so much data and clearly, a great deal of it is complete garbage (eg invoice for the hire of town hall for presentation and demonstration of Albanian folk music) - sifting through this data will take a week or more and requires a LIBRARY USE roll (Not Liz who is otherwise occupied)
Library Use Success,The charity regularly buys air tickets for "charity workers" travelling to and from Albania including Alex Rudaj, there are a number of flights booked to Malta over the next two months with a flurry at the end of that time period.
Liz takes the best part of the week to get into Redrupp and Vosper, here this issue is slightly different the IT security seems pretty standard (good but not so good that given time Liz is unable to defeat it) but there seems little in the way of online presence certainly no folder structure for anything client related although there is evidence that these documents are generated online. Again a LIBRARY USE roll (Anyone) to sift the file stubs.
Greg II,When Greg, Clay and Jacob broke into the offices at Redrupp and Vosper they noticed some quite hefty document safes, the chances are any important documents are kept in those rather than network storage.
Spot Hidden Success,File names coincide with details of the property on Malta which supposedly belongs to Rudaj.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Library Use 40: Sifting through Data.
[dice]2[/dice]

Library Use 40: Examining 'file stubs'
[dice]0[/dice]

I suggest others try to make these rolls too, or we might have some missing info.

Andy will also be writing a couple of articles to try and placate Jock and also to try and get sponsorship to get to Malta.  

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:41 pm
by ghill
Andy - Articles for Jock,Give me an idea of what you are putting into the article and what links you are trying to draw. You know Jock of old and are reasonably confident that he won't print a story if he thinks there is more to discover. Especially if there is any chance of a legal comeback.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm the only one who can't make that Library Use roll (yet), as I'm busy hacking.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Sorry I've been super busy in the holidays (mostly playing Gloomhaven in my free time) should have caught up here.

Was expecting some POW checks, that was the last I read. But going from here.  
Greg settle back into his routine, but with the break, he had a chance to clear his head. He took his notepad he had been working on and flipped through every couple pages and made notes to himself. 'Eat Something', 'Go Sleep', 'Shower'.

"There at least I'll remind myself to do the basics in case this thing goes south." he says to himself.

Greg picks up the notepad and starts in on the next set of translations.
POW check,just to get things started. [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   haha, must have missed it, failed the very fist check.  

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm
by ghill
Greg tries to take a more measured approach but soon finds himself as caught up in his research as he was before.
OOC:   Greg loses 1SAN. and cant help with any other research

Greg, can you please roll me at least 5 POW rolls your looking for POW x3  
Greg only,Feverish study - Failed POW rolls result in -1 SAN. At the point you've lost 5 SAN, you'll start to lose 1HP (as well) with every subsequently failed POW roll - representing the fact you have become so engrossed you don't look after yourself. You can stop at any time up to the 5 SAN limit. After 5 SAN you'll be obsessive about finishing your research. Remember you heal D3-1 every week automatically.
After two weeks of careful study of all the info Jacob can identify the following:

The charity regularly buys air tickets for "charity workers" travelling to and from Albania including Alex Rudaj, but there are a number of flights booked to Malta over the next two months with a flurry at the end of that time period.

Looking at file names from those recovered from Redrupp and Vosper Jacob is able to tie them to properties on Malta which supposedly belongs to Rudaj.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:28 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I think I've been rolling POW *5. Target is 51 then for POW *3

Can I heal while studying?  
POW rolls,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice]
OOC:   I failed 2 of the 5, passed 3. So I lose 2 more sanity and 2 HP.  

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 pm
by ghill
Greg ONLY,Nope you're OK at the moment, you've only lost three SAN so far so you are still looking after yourself so no HP loss. [i]Only after you lose 5 SAN you lose one HP as well.[/i] However, you automatically heal D3-1 at the end of every week. So at the moment, you are OK physically mentally another matter.
OK, Greg falls into the same pattern of long days and little sleep but seems to be making significant headway on the next section he still isn't finished until a week after everyone else has completed their tasks.

Andy starts writing the article he's promised, Jock. Liz is tied up with computer work and Jacob spends his time looking at the output she gets from her little forays.
OOC:   Everyone but Greg can I have any other actions. Jacob will look at all the other data which Andy and Liz found while trawling the British Library. if you really have no ideas what to do next then we can do Idea roll but there are more clues you have discovered you simply need to see the links.  
OOC:   BtRat, can I have another 5 rolls.  

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   uggh, this is a lot of rolls. So how many weeks has it been, kind of losing track. I think I should be at full health now.

If 2 weeks, week 1: [dice]0[/dice] week 2: [dice]1[/dice]  
Greg continues working on the translations, making notes and if finds anything he feels is relavent, he will pass it onto the others right away.
POW Rolls,1: [dice]2[/dice] 2: [dice]3[/dice] 3: [dice]4[/dice] 4: [dice]5[/dice] 5: [dice]6[/dice]
OOC:   The first was a critical success, so not sure if that helped the next roll that barely failed. The last 2 I failed horribly though.  

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz begins to sift through the data she got from Kush Nderton, but there's just too much of it for her to make much sense of it.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) sifting through the data from Kush Nderton: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm
by ghill
Jacob spends the week looking at all the notes Andrew and Liz made while working in the British Library he also starts to write some fairly comprehensive notes of his own as well as looking at the dates for travel arrangements pulled from the charity and making phone calls to a Rabbinical School where he seems to have friends.

Jacob: Fomalhaut the star which keeps getting referenced in your notes it's not normally in the Northern sky, I think it probably was visible if this City of Yb is where I think it might be or have been, but it will be visible in the Northern sky this year in about two months time coincidentally all those Charity workers for whom Kush Nerdton has made travel arrangements the last one arrives the day before Fomalhaut is at its zenith.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think it's a coincidence at all," says Liz, "That must be when they're planning to...do whatever they're planning to do, and we have until then to stop them. There may not be enough time to translate the whole thing. We may have to focus on the more relevant parts, such as the ones concerning Malta, and the end of the story."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm
by ghill
Greg has thoroughly read the thesis - Actually he can confirm that as far as Gossham is concerned the Maltese islands were where the Verbti sought refuge from the great flood.
Greg,While Greg will have to continue his research his original ideas about this section describes a method both to summon and banish Cuthugha.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg sends out a message to everyone else. "It looks like the Verbti worship the god Cuthugha, and if my guess is correct, they want this because it describes a way to summon him. It also describes how to banish him, so if they do summon him, we could try to banish him. Back to research, I'll keep you updated."
Greg research,I'm going to spend some extra time on how to banish Cuthugha. I got the bad feeling, we are going to need it.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that would be good to know," replies Liz. "We may need to send that thing back to its dimension or whatever."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy starts to write an article for publication but keep stopping, revising and never quite getting the proper slant on the story that would make it publishable. The problem is with confirming his suspicions - he quickly realises that no 'sane' editor would publish the 'real story'. He needed concrete evidence, there wasn't any, the pieces all fitted but could not be confirmed.

Despondent, Andy spends his time sifting through the data they've gathered, liaising with Liz and Jacob.

Talking things through with the others:

"So, it looks like all of Rudaj's 'goons' will be on Malta at the same time... that looks ominous... if Rudaj needs to enact some ceremony, and that seems likely from the murals then that's when it's going to happen. Ohh, Liz are there any travel plans for these people after whatever they might be planning?"

OOC:   Sorry for not being around recently, should be back in the swing of things now.  

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me check," says Liz, looking through the data.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 pm
by ghill
Liz quickly determines that without exception the tickets were all one way to Malta

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like after they do their thing, they don't intend to come back," says Liz.
OOC,Are they all going by commercial flight, or are any of them (i.e, [b]Rudaj[/b]) taking a private plane?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm
by ghill
Liz,She can't see any tickets for Rudaj and all the other tickets are all on commercial flights.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Rudaj, if he's going, isn't flying commercial," says Liz. "He prolly has a private jet, though. The others all booked tickets on commercial flights, but with them arriving on different days, there's no real way to stop them going. If they'd all been going the day before, I could have maybe hacked the airline and got them bumped off the flight, or grounded it."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Liz can probably confirm that nearer to the time when flight plans are logged and jets booked, it is a simple thing for her to plant something which will notify her of that effect.  

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm
by ghill
The remainder of the month passes a somewhat thinner and more tired Greg finally completes his work on the second section. He is able to confirm that in his opinion Maltese archipelago was a series of massive Messa's in a desert and the abandoned city the Verbti sought refuge in when fleeing there enemies was located at the foot of one of these Messas when the great flood came (creation of the Mediterranean by failure of the Gates of Hercules) the Verbetoi simply climbed to the top of the Messa.

He also confirms that major ceremonies were timed to coincide with the appearance of Fomalhaut in the night sky and their temples were orientated to ensure its light entered their temples inner sanctums.
Greg,You now understand the spells Summon and Dispell Cuthugha/Verbti

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 am
by BenTheRat
"I fear they are going to try and summon their god," Greg says. "I think we need to go stop them, to send it back."

Is there anything needed to dispel Cuthugha/Verbti? If so, I'm going to try and get everything we need now.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, and we'd best hurry," says Liz. "We're running out of time, and we have to come up with a plan fast. We'll need to smuggle weapons into Malta somehow. Maybe Alex could help with that, or he might know someone else who can."
OOC,How many of these people have booked flights to Malta?

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am
by ghill
BenTheRat wrote:"I fear they are going to try and summon their god," Greg says. "I think we need to go stop them, to send it back."

Is there anything needed to dispel Cuthugha/Verbti? If so, I'm going to try and get everything we need now.
Greg thinks he has two of the items the rod and the book which aid in the conduct of the ritual, but actually he simply needs to say the words. However, if Rudaj has a load of people supporting his ritual it will succeed unless it can be disrupted while Greg tries to banish Verbti

Liz can find travel details for about 40 people although some of those are clearly wives and kids. So maybe 15 males between the age of 18-40.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz shares what she's found out. "We're going to need reinforcements too," she says. "Or explosives. Preferably both. I don't think we can fight these blokes just by ourselves, even if they don't have gnarly powers. Maybe Alex knows some people and would be willing to help us out."

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"We also need to work out which site... which temple they're going to use. It's got to be the one where they found the 'impossible' statue, right? You reckon that if we could 'destroy' the temple then that would put a stop to it?"

"No doubt, Alex does know people that could help us out, but it would cost and we're flat broke. Maybe Westerlund could help us get to Malta... ohh shit, we need cash right... we have gold! Let's sell the fucking necklace thing.. we could get that back from the Prof, right?

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a thought," says Liz. "We'll want to get to Malta early then, as soon as we can make the arrangements and get as much of the translation done as we need. We'll have to be careful where we sell the gold. Something like that would be recognisable."

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy looks glum, "Yeah... Clay would have known who to go to. We ought to be able to shift those coins though..."

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm
by ghill
Greg,IDEA Roll please - success = Greg thinks Andy is probably wrong the temple they are looking for would be by the sea because the location of the main temple was by the cliff edge overlooking the city. Failure = Yeah Andy's probably right.
OOC:   Greg/Liz you'll have to search your memories but you have met people who have grudges against the Verbti, who might have regional contacts who may be able to help with all sorts of illicit things.  

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hey, remember Mitar Todovic?" says Liz, excited. "He's the one who told us all about the old man and his lot. He's got an axe to grind with the Verbetoi, and he might be able to get us allies and gear, and know how to get it to Malta. Father Marakis introduced us, and he should be able to put us in contact with him again."

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm
by BenTheRat
Greg Idea Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
"Andy, I think the main temple was on that cliff, by the sea. That is probably where they are going.

And Liz, have you seen anything about Clay online. Its been a few weeks, he maybe up and moving around again. We should check in on him, maybe we can get him out, or perhaps give us a clue as to where we might be able to find help. "

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll take a look," says Liz. "His contacts could be useful too."

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm
by ghill
As far as Liz can ascertain Clay is still in hospital although reading between the lines he may be helping with police inquiries. The story he seems to be sticking to is he was mugged. You could try and get in touch with him.

NB: Locally ie in the UK Greg has used up a lot of favours it is not clear what he'd be able to do (certainly as an NPC - happy for BenTheRat to play him again and roleplay events, but we really need a player for Greg who is the only guy who knows the relevant spells.)

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz sends an email to Clay asking how he's doing, along with her public PGP key and instructions on how to use PGP to encrypt his emails and decrypt hers so that they can communicate without fear of interception. The police, or someone else, could easily be monitoring his emails.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Mr Handy - Can I have a luck roll, please.  
OOC:   Is someone going to get in touch with Father Marakis at St Agata's? He is your point of contact with Mitar Todovic the former Serbian fighter  

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz has a good feeling that Clay will be able to help.
OOC,I'll go to the church, along with anyone else who wants to come. Luck roll (70% stat) sending the email: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy will accompany Liz - although he doesn't know the others (only from what the others have explained).  

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 am
by ghill
Before she gets in touch with Clay Liz goes out and gets a Burner phone as a result when the response SMS from the police arrives she simply dumps the phone.
OOC:   He's helping with investigations, what were you thinking!!!! :lol:  

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 pm
by ghill
Liz rings ahead and arranges with Father Marakis to meet at the church that evening, Driving out to Hounslow they find the church still surrounded by scaffolding with work on repairs seeming having made little progress since she was here what seems a lifetime ago. The Old priest Father Marakis greets you at the door welcomes Liz and Andy and then guides you through the church to his own rooms at the back where Mitar Todovic sits waiting.

Father Marakis explains for Andy's benefit that Mitar is a veteran of the 1992-94 war in Eastern Bosnia. Short, balding and now running to fat Todovic does not cut a very impressive figure but its clear there is muscle beneath the fat and he has the looks of a hard man.

The priest excuses himself claiming he will go and make some tea and bring biscuits. Todovic waits for the priest to leave the room and then a sad but knowing smile crosses his face.

So now you know who you truly face eh?

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I've got a much better idea now," says Liz, lowering her head. "We're fighting outside our weight, and we need some help. We've discovered quite a bit already. The one in charge seems to be a chap named Alex Rudaj. He and his mates are going to be gathering on Malta to do something horrible in about a month's time."

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am
by ghill
Mitar as clear an expression of "so what" as if he had said it out loud.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"The god they worship, Verbti," continues Liz, "which is also known as Cthugua, seems to be the source of some of their...unusual abilities. They plan to bring it into this world, which would be...really bad. For everyone. This thing may not really be a god, just an extremely powerful alien being from another dimension. Still, I wouldn't want it coming round."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 pm
by ghill
Mitar gives an exasperated sigh looks at Andy and rolls his eyes as if to say, women, eh. My grandmother like her she talk talk talk all day long but never get to the point Mittar mutters his accent quite thick then a bit more clearly "Maybe you tell me what d'fuck you want to talk to me about"

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 am
by ghill
OOC:   Mr Handy, please don't feel you have to wait for carnage_lee to respond to Mitar just because he's being a male chauvanist pig  

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz thinks she would like to meet Mitar's grandmother and have a good yammer with her, but she knows better than to say that. "We need your help," she says, getting to the point. "We need to get guns into Malta. Explosives, too, if possible. And we need backup to help us fight. I've discovered I'm quite the badass, but I can't defeat them all by myself. I'm not Chuck Norris."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am
by ghill
Like a light switch has been flicked Mitar becomes all business, what is it you are after, do you have a shopping list and a budget and for when?

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz tells him the date they calculated Fomalhaut will be at its zenith. "We'll need everything and everyone on Malta before that day," she says. "We expect to face about fifteen combatants, at least some of them with gnarly powers, so we'll need enough reinforcements and gear to beat them. Handguns all round, grenades too if you can get them. I'd also like a 12-gauge pump shotgun. What do you and the other chaps want?" she asks Andy.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am
by ghill
Is big shopping list you have money for this? asks Mitar

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I'll read up on what happened to get Mitar involved in the previous game.  

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 pm
by ghill

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have some...spoils of war we can liquidate," says Liz. "Gold, specifically. You might be able to help with that too, cut out the middleman."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm
by ghill
No, I am not interested in dealing in gold and neither will those I deal with they'll want dollars or euros in large denominations. When you tell me how much you have then I can tell you what you can get. says Mitar
OOC:   We can work out what your selling and for how much and what the Prof thinks about it ooc  

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd rather not sell the artifacts; we're probably going to need those. However, we do have a bunch of gold stuff we've found, much of it in Chapter 1. I don't remember exactly what we have available to sell.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 am
by ghill
Cash money,What specifically are you thinking about? I cant think of any items which have a significant cash value.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I remember there was some gold stuff taken from the tattoo shop, but I wasn't on the inside for that one.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 am
by ghill
OOC:   The tattooist's tools were gold but they were only worth about £250, that might get you the shotgun but little else  

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Greg checking in here, haven't posted for a while. Just reading the exchange. I have a thought. Surely the Verbti have some enemies. People just as fanatic trying to stop them. Not sure if we contacted them, would they be willing to fund us and supply backup?  

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:51 pm
by ghill
OOC:   There are probably cultural enemies of the Verbetoi, but typically people are shit scared of their scorched earth policy of vengeance think Keyser Söze. That said Mitar clearly has history with them.  

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yeah. he's the one I was thinking of who might oppose them on principle. There was also some gold we recovered from the house at the end of Chapter 1. I saw there was a gold chain that was used to secure a door that we took.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am
by ghill
OOC:   BenTheRat - happy for Greg to be there in person if you want to interject. Mr Handy same as the Tattooists tools anything you picked up is not going to make the sort of money you are looking for  

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It looks like we'll have to unload one of the artifacts, then. We'll have to be careful that it isn't one we'll need to fight the Verbetoi or stop the ritual. The scepter is definitely useful, with its ability to allow the holder to resist as well as start fires.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I agree we need the sceptre.
We can 'liquidate' the coins - and the book if we have to.  

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am
by ghill
OOC:   On the basis of simply selling the gold for material value only, the coin necklace is worth approximately £8000 the Book about £30,000 you could raise this money in a reasonably short time period. Westerlund believes both artefacts are priceless and reckons they could get up to 10 times that money if sold to the right museum or collection but that this will take time. Naturally, Westerlund is aghast at the idea you would simply sell the artefacts off to raise cash.  

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Does [b]Greg[/b] know which artifacts we might need to stop the ritual. I don't want to sell them either, but I don't see that we have any other choice unless [b]Westerlund[/b] has some other source of funding. Could we pawn one? That way we could buy it back later with whatever loot we manage to get off of the bad guys (if we survive, that is). [b]Rudaj[/b] is loaded...

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:27 pm
by ghill
OOC:   None of the artefacts specifically, but Greg gets the impression that all would help in some shape or form.  

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Greg[/b] knows best how they can be used, as he's done the most research, so I'll leave the decision to him.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 am
by BenTheRat
If Westerlund is aghast that we would just sell these for money, would he be willing to help finance our venture, in exchange for the artifacts?

OOC: Sorry, I have Enginnering week coming up, that I am running for my company. Shipping out Crit Fumble Dice, and a convention coming next weekend. This is on top of working on Devil's Swamp. So I have been super swamped. After next weekend, I'll be able to get back into things.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am
by ghill
Westerlund doesn't have that sort of cash on hand he probably has £4000 on hand and could probably raise another 20-30K but that would take him some time. He could also broker a deal to sell the artefacts for their proper historic value but that would take a lot, lot longer.

To arm and equip you each with a pistol and long gun (of dubious provenance) plus a couple of magazines of ammo for each delivered to you on Malta is going to cost you £1000. For every extra person, you want along for the ride is going to cost you another £1000.

You could try a PERSUADE roll so see if you can get Mita to see this as an opportunity for vengeance against those who massacred his friends

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz tries to get Mitar to see this as an opportunity for revenge, but she doesn't have much luck. She hopes the others will lay out a stronger case.
OOC,Persuade roll (21% skill) to convince [b]Mitar[/b] to help for the sake of revenge: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy tries to build on Liz's plea to Mitar, showing pictures of the golden book and the 'coin belt' heavily implying that these are probably the tip of the iceberg and that Rudaj and his cohorts would have more of items like this.
Andy: Persuade(55),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Do we know how many people (on Rudaj's side) are travelling to Malta?  

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I did find that information. There are about forty people in all, fifteen of them males of fighting age.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:57 am
by ghill
Mita listens to both Liz and Andy's arguments "So this guy is responsible for the deaths of my comrades, and he's a big man with these Verbti and this thing he wants to do in Malta is his big goal in life? So I say fuck him, fuck them all we fuck him real bad. I call in some favours and get you credit, not vast but get you all armed. I talk to old comrades maybe they are also keen for so payment on old debts"
OOC:   Mita will make sure you each have a pistol and long gun and some ammo. He'll also arrange for 5 of his old mates to come along, they're all past their prime, but all veterans of a very nasty war. You'll have to dispose of the coin necklace but can do so with the assistance of the professor thus maximising the cash for it, which should more than cover costs.  

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Could we get Kevlar vests too? I'm not fond of getting shot.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 am
by ghill
Liz asks if Mitar can provide vests, he looks at her and nods saying he will see what he can find.
OOC:   Remember the chance of Liz getting a suitable (ie properly fitting vest) vest is slim as she is both female and a short arse and Mitar is not be buying any of the stuff he is going to source it from "friends and acquaintances".

Shall we move on time wise? There are about four weeks until whatever is happening in Malta is due to happen, how do you intend to use that time.  

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We should do as much of the translation as we can, focusing on the end.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Here's my tuppence worth:

Someone should get used to using the 'wand', seeing what they can get the thing to do - it could be an important weapon.

We need to work out an effective way to tackle the fire thingies - in case they put in an appearance.  

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:42 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Fire extinguishers seem to work effectively but the problem is they are bulky and have a limited number of 'shots' On top of which flame-resistant clothing has proved to also be effective in providing some protection.  

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   We can steal fire-extinguishers from hotels in Malta - so that's covered, I guess.  

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am
by ghill
OOC:   Less risky might be to buy them, but yes they are common and easy enough to acquire. Once Westerlund knows you plan on going back to Malta he offers you the keys to his house. He isn't going back to Cyprus until his court case.  

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I'm away in New York for a week from tomorrow (28th) - Birthday celebrations :)  

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, we definitely need fire resistant clothing. [b]Greg[/b] should probably be the one to practice with the wand, as he has the highest POW and isn't otherwise skilled at combat, plus he's fragile and may need more protection from fire. Granted, I'm fragile too, but not quite as fragile as him, plus he's the doctor so we need him healthy. Are we able to get grenades?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am
by ghill
OOC:   As it is coming from Mitar's contacts on a charity basis, rather than being paid for its potluck.  

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm
by carnage_lee
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Yes, we definitely need fire resistant clothing. [b]Greg[/b] should probably be the one to practice with the wand, as he has the highest POW and isn't otherwise skilled at combat, plus he's fragile and may need more protection from fire. Granted, I'm fragile too, but not quite as fragile as him, plus he's the doctor so we need him healthy. Are we able to get grenades?
OK with me, if Greg agrees.

I'm hoping we can do the obligatory raid a mining operation to get dynamite :o while on Malta.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:47 pm
by ghill
Go Here please