CH3-04 Down by the shore

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Post by BenTheRat »

After hearing the greetings he perked up a bit and when Liz asked about what he had been doing his eyes lit up. "Let me show you, come in here." Greg leads the others into his main work room. Papers are strewn around the room and hung on the walls. "Don't touch anything, its all in a specific order."

Greg will go through everything he's done.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This is impressive," says Liz. "I don't think Maria got this far. I hope you're not as obsessed as she became. You don't have the urge to go potholing, do you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg was jumping from sentence to sentence with an irregular cadence, "Don't be silly, I'm just excited, this could be one of the greatest discoveries in centuries.", he picks up a picture of the statue, "This is the key, its a Rosetta stone. It has Latin, Greek, and the Verboti language all on it. Sure, I'm still guessing on some of the words and phrases. Also, I'm no linguist, we really need to get a professional in ancient languages involved."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can't help it if I'm silly," says Liz with a goofy grin. "Asking me not to be silly is like asking me not to breathe. We should go talk to Westerlund and let him know what you've discovered. He may know linguists who could help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

BenTheRat only,So [b]Greg[/b] is caught up in [i]Frenzied Research[/i] this means he works twice as fast in his research but at a risk of Sanity loss, with his high Power [b]Greg[/b] is probably the most ably equipped to handle it. However, failed POW rolls result in -1 SAN at the point you've lost 5 SAN, you'll start to lose 1HP with every subsequently failed POW roll - representing the fact you have become so engrossed you don't look after yourself. The upshot is [b]Greg[/b] won't allow himself to be separated from his work. IG you may either play a very distracted [b]Greg[/b] who occasionally raises his head from his work to comment, alternatively as [b]Royya[/b] seems to have disappeared for the moment you can play [b]Jacob[/b] and leave [b]Greg[/b] in the hotel surrounded by his work.
Even as he's speaking, Greg amends a piece of his work as he realises a better meaning to his translation
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Um..." says Liz, "maybe you should take a break from this. Would you like to go out for something to eat?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Now who's talking crazy, I'm really not hungry. There is just too ..." He leaves the sentence off as he graps a piece of paper and furiously writes something down.
Keeper,haha, not a chance. Having a blast playing Greg now. He is going to keep working on this.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It doesn't have to be food," says Liz. "We could go to the cinema, or get some drinks down the pub. Do you remember how when we first met you were flirting with me and I turned you down? Well, I'm starting to reconsider. Would you really rather work on this than go on a date with me? It'll still be here when you get back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg doesn't even look back at Liz, "no thanks, I don't care for..." as he trails off he rips another piece of paper out of his notebook and began to write again.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's definitely something wrong with him," Liz tells Andy and Jacob. "Who wouldn't want to go out with me? I'm adorkable! Hmm...I wonder if it would snap him out of it if I snogged him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Are you looking after yourself properly Greg?" says Jacob "We do not want you going the same way as Maria, you are getting enough to eat and at least getting some regular sleep?"

Greg,...an insight, when the Romans killed all their priests and destroyed their temples they effectively destroyed the Verbti's written language, they have a spoken language but the spelling and phonetics aren't the same as the original language. Its likely that a whole layer of Verbti culture, mythology and dare he say it magic has been missing since then.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Greg, mate... when did you eat last?" Andy asks.. "Tell you what.. why don't you explain to Liz and JAcob what you've discovered and I'll go get something to eat and drink. What do you say guys... burgers... coffee?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Just a reminder there was a pile of plates outside Greg's room some of which looked relatively fresh and this is a reasonably good hotel so those plates aren't going to sit there for days - so he has at least eaten relatively recently - whether his diet is regular balanced and healthy is an entirely different matter.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd prefer pizza and tea myself," says Liz.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Tell you what, why don't we all go.. the fresh air will do you good.." he says addressing the last remark to Greg "and you can 'catch us up' with your research over coffee.. or tea."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg ignores most of your inquiries, but when Andy mentions coffee, he perks up a bit. "A pot of coffee sounds great. Can you order some from room service?" and he goes back to his work.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should all go out," says Liz. "When's the last time you went outside, Greg?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"That's right Greg we're all going out to get coffee, you need a break from this.." he waves his hand at the papers scattered about, "and you can bring us all up to date.. " he says smiling.
OOC:   We can go on like this forever... or we can decide on a way to resolve this...

I suggest an opposed roll .. an interpersonal skill vs Gregs POW (x5) - success for Greg means he's resistant to efforts to get him out of the room, otherwise he'll come (no doubt grumbling and anxious) with us.

Of course it may well boil down to us trying to manhandle him out of the room ...  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Sorry, I've been rather distracted of late otherwise I would have taken a bit more control over matters when it was just batting backwards and forwards. Also, I know BenTR is rather enjoying himself at the moment so I'll eave it to him to put this into IC words. Basically, Greg is under the effects of "Feverish Research" he is so into what he's doing that the research times are halved (but he pretty much spends every waking hour researching. There is definitely a risk to this he may become so distracted that he neglects himself (eventual slow HP loss) but Greg is very strong willed so the chances of this are significantly less than most. If he was well monitored then that risk could be mitigated - remove him from the hotel and he will not be able to feverishly study.

Oh and obviously it goes without saying he is translating and studying a Mythos tome with the possible hiccups this involves.  
BenTR,Pretty much everything Gossham postulated in his Thesis is if the mural is to be believed correct. The Verbetoi named after their God Verbti a hostile spirit of fire, are from a period pre-recorded history, Geographically somewhere sub Saharan Africa, they fled northwards to a ruined city which may have been in what was the Mediterranean basin prior to it becoming a Sea, they escaped to high ground (island of Malta) with their civilisation largely intact, The mural is not only a record of their history but details their rituals and culture and a very granular level its essentially three murals. Greg is currently struggling with the idea that some of the rituals might actually be what the uneducated might call spells.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Come on mate, it looks like you've been cooped up in here since we got back from .." Andy starts, he doesn't name the place where Albert died and they abandoned Clay, if he doesn't say the name.. he doesn't have to think about what happened there... he shakes himself "Anyway.. you need to fill us in on what you've discovered it's obviously very important.. maybe the key to the whole damn thing. And it's also obvious that you need a break... you're a Doctor.. you know you do. Besides talking it over with us will help you get things straight in your head." Andy says in his best conciliatory tone, trying to persuade his friend to take a break.
OOC:,Persuade 55% [dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Watch the World Burn”