CH3-04 Down by the shore

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,We'd be sending it to one of our own addresses in the UK, just in case. We can also email the pictures of the murals to ourselves, as long as the file sizes aren't too big.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

OOC:   There are several Gb's of images but it is not really a problem for Liz to both send multiple copies of the files copied onto USB keys as well as scatter copies of the photos in a number of online locations which she can share with the others.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   I guess that after betting back into the UK we need to go and see Westerlund as well as try and figure out where we are with our investigation.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's a good idea. Maybe the book will help us translate the murals. We can enclose a USB stick with the hard copy of the thesis that we ship home.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The others sit around the coffee table listening to Andy's outpouring.

Where do we start says Jacob some of these things are easy enough to find out about, the Roman senator should be mentioned somewhere if he is someone important, but these other things they look a bit strange to say the least. I mean what language is naf'lthagn it sounds more like a person sneezing? Should we split up this work and who is doing what?
OOC:   I shall add to the clues thread any answers to the easier question, you may want to have a think about how you find answers to the more esoteric questions  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"OK, that's a starting point... Jacob you can look into the Roman aspect" he pauses for the Rabbi's assent. "LIz... are you OK to keep on going through Maria's work? Try and join up what she was working on with what Gossham had theorised ... I think that he had her working on finding proof; it's best if you're 'chaperoned' while you do this, we don't want any more 'weird shit' happening, so Doc will you be OK to make sure Liz doesn't have any more 'episodes'?" he asks Greg.

"I can pull some strings when we get back home... do some research in the British Library .. hopefully I'll be able to track down references to the really old shit that Gossham mentions. We should all be familiar with Gossham's theories, that's what kicked all this shit off... so we need to pick that apart and find out why it's worth committing multiple murders to suppress."

"We stay clear of the artefacts that we left with Westerlund .. until we have more of a clue as to what is going on .. we are in the shit so deep we're past needing waders.. we need snorkels!"
OOC:   We also need to workout/find out what that charity hoped to gain from bank-rolling Gossham ... were their motives just trying to promote Albania or something more sinister?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've read the thesis and looked at the murals before without going round the twist," says Liz. "I think I'll be fine. I'll do what I can, but we need to find something to help us translate this stuff, something like the Rosetta Stone. Maybe one of those artifacts. Didn't Westerlund say that the writing on the sceptre was like that, the Fomalhaut bit?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Have we had a look at whats on the memory cards yet?" Greg interjects. "Perhaps that can give us a bit more information, or have some files on it. I still that that twisting passage we took has some purpose in all of this. I can't put my finger on it, it just seems strange the language twists similar to the tunnels. Maybe that's needed to do the translation."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, I think you're onto something," says Liz. "The memory cards contain Maria's pictures of the murals. I documented them myself before we even found them, but I think hers came out better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   BenTheRat - In the time that you've had no one has looked at any of the gathered data with anything other than a perfunctory glance.
You'll need to set up somewhere where you can do some proper research without being constantly disturbed.
Also incidentally there are several hundred photos along with several hundred pages thesis (per draft) you're going to need room to spread out or things will take a lot longer.

I'm happy to assume this is acquired when you decide where to base yourselves for the next step.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   I think we're better off starting our research in the UK, for one thing we'll have access to things like money and won't face 'language barriers'.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Okay, but we can still use the time we're in Bari waiting for our plane to do some preliminary work if we have nothing better to do. We may want to work with [b]Westerlund[/b] when we do our research, as he's an expert and has the artifacts.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Liz couldn't really have done more than catalogue the photos. Please consider the photos and thesis as similar to a Mythos tome they need to be properly researched doing so will take time.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Compare photos on the memory card to the photo's we took - work out what Maria was translating - 1-3 days (Library Use)

Research the UR Language -? days (requires some kind of method to translate or find possible sources of the language)

Maria's research notes - (additional notes) Then using the marker function additional notes: it’s not prayer, it's fear, they fear him, fear what he’s going to let through.
There are rugged rocks to the left and right and some indication of the sea to the rear of the young man It looks as though there is some kind of tomb behind the man’s right shoulder, is this symbolic? Identify that image ... is it of Malta (site 3)? - 1-2 day (Computer use/Spot Hidden)

The 'spell' On the piece of paper is written: ph'nglui mglw'nafh Verbti Fomalhaut n'gha-ghaa naf'lthagn - research occult referenced to Fomalhaut(?) 1-2 days (Library Use/Occult)

Research Ulpius Crinitus and Centurion Flavius - is the decimation of the Verbetoi by the Romans on record? - Already added to clues thread.

Gossham thought the proof of his thesis was in artefacts on Malta - however, the gold artefacts we have would offer proof (if the ages can be ratified). - Archaeology roll/Idea roll, Westerlund will clearly have a view.

Ask Kush nderten why they bankrolled Gossham - what did they want to achieve/prove? - you already have all the legally obtainable details for the charity, if you want further details some sleuthing is required

How/Why did Gossham make the jump that the 'writing people' encountered artefacts of a civilisation that pre-dated them? Book of Eibon? mythical Book of Skelos - the city of Yb & Shem - what can we find out? The Atahath = present day Verbetoi (as use Afro-Asiatic (origin) language). - you'll probably never find out unless it's documented in the thesis somewhere. IDEA roll

Photo no 32: The mural depicts a young man surrounded by intense light or fire from above. Wounds are seen along the back of his arms and legs his back and torso is heavily tattooed. He is surrounded by other people they are either bowed in prayer

Ties up to the following passage?

Transcription, He hangs motionless in black, forbidding sky in the deeps oh gleaming orb which floats before this dreamers vision. Fearsome dark are the marks upon thy dull/dread/fearsome face/surface marked by columns of spinning flame arced uponn thine rim.... [indecipherable] the titan sunspots drift slowly across thine face, you roar your insatiable anger against the chains of the Ancient/Elder/Old Gods which had bound you there for an eternity.... Oh great Verbti we shall free you.

Verbti is the god ... who/what is it really? - 4-5 days Occult/library Use, perhaps access to specific libraries
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As the resident computer expert, Liz uses the time before their flight to begin going through Maria's notes to identify the image.
OOC,Computer Use roll (70% skill) to identify the image in [b]Maria[/b]'s notes: [dice]0[/dice] Idea roll (75% stat) about the artifacts: [dice]1[/dice] Idea roll (75% stat) about how [b]Gosshamm[/b] came to his conclusions: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   There isn't quite a like for like match for the photos in Maria's memory card and the photos which Liz took while in the maze, but they are clearly from the same location. The murals seem to tell the story of the journey out of Africa(?) to Albania

1. Horse riding nomads flee other nastier looking horse riding nomads ride off into desert
2. Horse riding nomads find ancient temple in abandoned city in desert
3. Horse riding nomads worship fiery god
4. Fiery God destroys nastier looking horse riding nomads in the desert
5. Massive, flood horse riding nomads flee to top of massive plateau and build new towns/temples
6. Horse riding nomads confined by the island seek fresh pastures overseas
7. Live peaceful life in the mountains - Horse riding nomads raiding the locals
8. Romans come - Horse riding nomads raid the Romans
9. Horse riding nomads War with Romans - at this point, there doesn't seem to be a written commentary of any kind with the murals.

IDEA roll about the artefacts - With regards the artefacts you think Gossham might have believed the artefacts are to open of accusations of fraud and forgery which is what Westerlund intimated as well.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz fills in the others about her findings so far.
OOC,Is there still time for me to get started on another avenue of research before our flight?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz,not really you can assume any prep work is done for whatever task Liz lines up next.
OOC:   Guys, you can assume you have all travelled back without incident (using whatever ID you used to travel out either faked or real). This raised the next question now you are back in the UK what are your plans? What are people doing as far as accommodation is concerned? Jacob has a small house in Golders Green in London, but he's currently a person the police are looking for to assist with their enquiries. Greg has nowhere (in the UK), Liz has student accommodation and or a room at her parents. I'll leave it to Carnage_lee to describe his accommodation bearing in mind Andy's credit rating.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Since the fall semester hasn't started yet, I'm best staying with my parents in London rather than going to the dorm in Cambridge. We should probably all be based in the London area, as it's convenient to many things and easy to travel from there to wherever we need to go.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Yeah... with acredit rating of 15 (I see that none of us with the exception of Ben put pts in Credit Rating - at least 7th ed makes you do this) Andy will probably have a bedsit, in Eltham.. Any must be a pretty unsuccessful reporter :/  
Back in th UK...

After bidding his companions 'adieu' at the airport, Andy heads back to his small flat and sifts through the small pile of letters that have accumulated in his absense. Most pressing is the 'red leccy bill' and a rather terse note from his landlord chasing up last months rent. He'd spent too much time away and hadn't earned anything since his hospital stay. He needed come cash and fast.

He thought of Albert he hadn't known the man for long but Andy had liked him but more than that Andy wished he had one of the 'magic' credit cards that Albert had managed to rustle up. Albert.. poor bastard... did he have anyone close? Anyone that ought to be told.. well what could they say? Nothing... they couldn't say anything to anyone ... but he would be missed and people would start asking questions. Would any of those lead to Andy's door?

Andy smiles sadly, remembering the time that they were all in Albert's home, eating pizza, discussing what to do next, none of them realising quite how dangerous things were to become. Things were band then, Albert had been shot, Andy caught in that fire but they sure got worse. Andy shakes his head, wishing that he'd not taken the job to do the follow up piece with Mathers, he's been in constant danger ever since.

The boiling kettle snapped him out ofhis mournful thoughts, he cursed realising that the milk was now 'cottagwe cheese' in his fridge, the other items were spoiled too, he couldn't even make a cuppa! Finding a carrier bad he emptied his small fridge and dumped it in his bin, nose wrinkling at the smell. He'd have to go out and get some shopping.

After a shower and change of clothes he decided to get the shopping later on, taking a couple of creased tenners from the biscuit tin on a shelf he locked up and headed off the the station; he could start his research.. if he didn't start he wasn't sure he'd be able or willing to carry on. The walk to the station was terrible, unnerving, everyone he passed seemed to stare and he kept looking over his shoulder nervously, expecting to be followed but he didn't see anyone or anything. This was strangely not reassuring, half convinced he was being followed anf not able to spot anyone.

The train seemed to take ages to arrive, Andy walked the length of the train, twice, before he found a seat to his liking. He was sure that he attracted stares from the other silent passengers, disapproving looks. Andy was glad to get out at London Bridge, more people, more danger but he felt that he had a purpose a direction, he would see things through. He waited outsie for the number 17 bus to come along, eager to start his research.
OOC:   Andy will start his research at the British Library  

Return to “Watch the World Burn”