CH3-04 Down by the shore

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH3-04 Down by the shore

Post by BenTheRat »

"Whoa, what the hell man, I don't think we should be playing around inside the hotel, you're going to destroy all my work." Greg says as he stamps the fire out.
Sanity Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Er...let's not try that again," says Liz.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 57) for seeing the sceptre's effects: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

The Professor sits down with a smile on his face. So whats the plan now? he says. "Does any of this explain why Adrian was murdered and why I was set up? I mean its all amazing groundbreaking stuff, but I mean sure it isn't worth murdering for, is it?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think they're murdering people for their god, Verbti," says Liz. "My research also indicates that he's called Cthugha or Fthagugua. According to the mythology I've found, he was imprisoned in the star Fomalhaut millennia ago, which is associated with living fire. Maybe they think they can set him free, which would be bad all around. They may be trying to do away with anyone who gets too close to the truth and finds out too much about them, for fear their plans will be disrupted."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg didn't you say they really didn't know how to read their own language? Putting aside how ridiculous the idea of freeing some intergalactic being from space prison with magic is, how do they read their religious tracts? How do they maintain their religion and if there is a process for releasing their "God" how will they remember it after tens of thousands of years? says Westerlund.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Just because they can't read their old language doesn't mean the stories can't be written down elsewhere, otherwise they have to pass things along with stories. Generation to generation passing stories down similar to the Jews in the days of old." Greg answers.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They could also have passed their stories on orally," suggests Liz. "Many cultures have a long storytelling tradition."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund now clearly in lecture mode "Yes, they do indeed and while transmission through speech and song typically includes folktales, ballads, chants to transmit oral history, oral literature, oral law there are certainly examples of oral traditions being used to transmit canonical scriptures and secular knowledge such as the Hindu Vedas. But in all these cases the religious cast existed to teach the tradition, but you intimated that Romans killed all the Verbti Priests and leaders. No, I think you'll find that a great deal of their religious tradition is completely lost, well unless someone else has found this Rosetta stone of Greg's that is."
OOC:   Sorry I'm using Westerlund as your KNOW rolls. In essence what you have discovered is that the Verbti have indeed lost the greater part of their culture/religion. In CoC terms, they are still cultists worshipping a Great Old One but without really understanding how they might want to set Cuthugha/Verbti free. None of which really explains why Gossham was murdered :)  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy listens intently to Westerlund's explanation of how he discovered the 'sceptre's' power and with some trepidation takes his turn reciting the words and exposing his hand to the flame... amazed at the effect.

He helps extinguish the small fire that Jacob inadvertently starts.

"I think Liz has a point .." he starts before Westerlund launches into his explanation of how 'oral tradition' would go hand in hand with a 'priesthood'.

"Well... anyone that had access to the cave system on that mountain would have the same access that we did, so it's entirely possible that some of the Verbti have access to the 'key' and could have done similar work to Greg." he pauses and nods to Greg acknowledging the work that he has done. "I think it's likely that Gossham was killed because he had ... umm.. well 'stole' these artefacts .. most probably from the same cave system we were in." he pauses again suddenly worried "Doesn't the fact that we've managed to make these 'translations' make us more of a target... if they knew, I mean.." he looks around at Greg's research "Shit... this stuff is really dangerous.."
Sanity Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I don't want to lose sight of the significance of the 'gold book' - perhaps it has been used to spy on Prof W ... maybe it has another purpose.
Andy loses 1 pt of SAN for sure.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Could be one or more of those artefacts could function as the Rosetta Stone," says Liz. "So maybe the Verbetoi are trying to do what we're doing, translate the old language so they can figure out how they're supposed to free their god. Perhaps Kush nderton funded Gosshamm's work so that they could get him to find this stuff for them, but once he made off with it, they took action. We need to find out more about them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   She shoots, she scores! - if we were around at table you'd all probably see me smile at this point. Not 100% but nearly.  
Verbetoi society has almost certainly suffered from cultural drift in the last couple of millennia with no written history there will have been slow, altering of their society, its traditions, morals, and behavioural trends all of them will have altered over time. The people wanting to free their god may not have the support of the majority of the Verbetoi or even a large minority they are almost certainly viewed as fringe 'cult' for want of a better term says Westerlund
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"So the group that we've encountered are like some sort of Verbi Fundamentalist group.. that makes a lot of sense.." Andy pulls a couple of notebooks from his bag and flicks through one.. "Aha! so the bloke we want to investigate is probably Alex Rudaj; seeing as the other two trustees are Voseper and Reddrup, they'd be the partners in the law firm, right? Rudaj that could be Albanian.. right?"

Andy taps his pen against his lips as his mental gears work away ... "Liz... you still got that number that Alex gave you?"

OOC:   We can ask Alex 1) what he knows about Kush Nderton and 2) if he's heard of Alex Rudaj and what he knows about him if he does.

We do have an address (in Beaconsfield) that was gotten from the 'search' Clay and Jacob did of R&V's offices, for Rudaj. The address turned out to be tied with a 'high end' lettings agency and LIz's searches didn't come up with more detail that being involved with the charity.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Alex comes back to say he's never heard of either  
OOC:   Beaconsfield is a market town and south Buckinghamshire around 20 WNW of London, its a fairly wealthy commuter town. A google search of the address shows a fairly modern looking building surrounded by high walls and security gates.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think we're going to be able to get in there without being invited," says Liz, looking at the building on her laptop's screen. "And if we did, we prolly wouldn't get out. But there are other ways of finding out stuff. If we can't do it physically, we could do it digitally."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Yeah, that place doesn't look like it encourages visitors, perhaps a 'softer' target is the lettings company... getting to see their records might be a touch easier." Andy nods towards the sceptre "And we have something that can help us cause a distraction..."
OOC:   I still think we could use the artefacts to 'smoke' out the other side.. post pictures of the coin belt with a notice that it's been found and wanting to return it to the rightful owners.

I can see the sceptre being useful ... use it in the lettings agency offices to start a small fire while in reception - use the evacuation to sneak in and see what we can find.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   As an aside, the following was discovered when you investigated the Verbti Shepard in CH1:

Liz discovered the following - On 7th September 2005 six properties on the street were sold to Centrepoint Limited. Within hours of purchasing the estate, Centrepoint Limited sold the properties separately: two to Kinglee Limited and two to Treeview Properties Limited. Number 121 was sold to an Idriz Patrella (the baddy) at a considerable discount by Kinglee Limited. Forty-eight hours later it was put into a trust administered by Redrupp and Vosper. The adjoining 123 remained a holding of Treeview Properties. The directors of Centrepoint Limited are Mr Daniel Gaiman of Guildford and Mrs Jane Smith of Reading. Kinglee limited and Treeview Properties are registered in the Isle of Man, making it extremely difficult to trace their ownership.

Also...

The properties in Malta were all owned by Green Meadows Holding, Greg and Jacob found documents in the offices of Redrupp and Vosper which seemed to indicate R&V purchased all the land the dig sites were on either for Green Meadow Holdings or that GMH was a front company for R&Vosper. GMH is registered in the Isle of Man.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that is a thought," says Liz. She reminds the others of what she had discovered.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Greg nods, "of course that makes a lot of sense. This fringe group probably helped the professor get as far as he did, till he betrayed them. Too bad we don't have Clay still, he could have helped with this breaking in business. "
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Can I have a KNOW roll from Andy - Success means that as a result of experience in investigating similar stories about fraud and tax evasion he has some understanding of how the Lettings company might be being used as a cut out to cover the activities. The downside is the chances of finding anything incriminating outside of a forensic accounting investigation is slim.

Everyone else can I have 2x IDEA rolls, please
1st IDEA Rolls success - An alternative to the professor betrayed theory is they simply had or thought they had what they wanted from him.
2nd IDEA roll is difficult 1/2 normal chance.
Alternatively work hard and think about what you heard when you first arrived in Terrana, and see if that triggers any further thoughts.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   1st Idea roll: target = 70 [dice]0[/dice]
2nd Idea roll: target = 35 [dice]1[/dice]  
Greg continues, "They could have just been done with the guy and figured no loose ends. What a shame."
ghill,I did get a crit success, not sure if that provides any extra insight.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Watch the World Burn”