CH3-02 Heading North

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: CH3-02 Heading North

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

It slowly dawns on Andy that some of the graffiti looks 'familiar' and soon makes a connection to the writing seen over the walls in Maria's apartment and the words that Liz and Westerlund scrawled on the blackboard while under the 'influence' of the marking on the pottery shards that Gossham had collected. Sure enough as he makes the connection his eyes start to itch and pressure builds up in his head, causing a dull ache to start up.

"Ohh shit.. it's happening again!" he says, trying to control his breathing and trying to banish the insidious thoughts that the writing seems to be trying to beam straight into his brain... at that moment the other car slows and pulls off the road. Lek pulls off the road too, stopping the Land Rover a couple of metres behind the battered Russian 4x4 that Alex is driving. As they come to a stop the other cars doors open, Alex, Clay and Jacob pile out and are soon lifting an apparently unconscious Liz from her seat.

Andy looks over and sees that Albert is shaking his head and massaging his temples, "You... you felt it too? That damn writing, right? he asks as he opens his door.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Feel free to fast forward to Liz's recovery.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz's eyelids flutter open as she returns to what remains of her senses. "Ach, mein kopf," she moans, then blinks. "Wait, that's German. I don't know German! That stuff hacked my brain and I went doolally again. I feel so...what's the word? Why can't I remember the word? I've forgotten so many words, especially the big ones. What kind of nerd am I? I can't technobabble any more. I can only...babble..." She breaks down and sobs. "How can I go back to uni like this? What are we going to do with me?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Mr. Handy wrote:
As Modified by GHill

Liz's eyelids flutter open as she returns to what remains of her senses. "Ach, mein kopf," she moans, then blinks. "Wait, that's German. Ich weiß nicht, Deutsch! That stuff hacked my brain and I went doolally again. I feel so...what's the word? was ist das Wort? I've forgotten so many words, especially the big ones. What kind of nerd am I? I can't technobabble any more. I can only...babble..." She breaks down and sobs. "How can I go back to uni like this? Was machen wir jetzt mit mir zu tun?"
OOC:   In the quote above I've modified Mr Handy's last post for Liz slightly. The reality of her situation is 25% of Liz' vocabulary has effectively been overwritten in German, its not just the big words its all sorts of word. Its a bit hard to reflect this in game, but basically Liz has two OWN Language skills. I wont ask for Speak Own Language English rolls every time she enters into conversation with the rest of you, but when she's not thinking or under stress. she speaks them both interchangeably.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy looks on concerned as Liz comes to, he looks to see if there's any reaction from Alex at her revelation and wonders if it's happened to any of the locals... stands to reason that others would/could be affected too.

"Don't worry ... Greg will give you a quick check up... any problems you have may be temporary.. try and keep calm." he turns to Alex "Have you heard of anything like this before?" he asks.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Alex doesn't look as though he's really taken on board what has happened to Liz he looks at Andy a bit blankly for moment. "Umm...no I have heard of nothing so strange. She is all right?"

Greg quickly decides that there is nothing physically wrong with Liz although he determines to keep an eye on her just in case she is suffering from shock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nein..." cries Liz, wiping her eyes. She tries to control her breathing and calm down. "Maybe...maybe it will wear off. It makes sense, I guess. Deutsche und Englisch are related, nicht wahr? So when my brain got scrambled, they got mixed up. This may have happened to Maria too. If I don't get better, Ich learned to sprech Englisch once, Ich can learn again. Kannst du teach me?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"None of us are teachers but we can certainly let you know the words for anything you've got mixed up.." he replies. "Let's take a five minute break and we'll head off again..." he looks to Liz and Alex to see if that's OK.

Whilst waiting he approaches Greg "Liz seems more susceptible to the 'proto language'; I felt it too... head still aches a bit and I think Albert felt some affects too.. do you think that Liz ought to sit in the middle - she might not see that stuff then?" he asks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ja, das ist gut," says Liz. She pauses and takes several deep breaths. "I mean, yes, that's good. If I take the time to think before I speak, I can still make sense - well, as much sense as I usually make!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"I suspect its due to the fact she's already been effected by the mimetic disease which the proto-language spreads. I reckon the evidence points at it not being self immunizing which means a similar if lesser impact on her language skills if it happens again" says Greg. He then helps Liz into the car ensuring she's sitting in the middle.
OOC:   Unless anyone is keen to investigate the writing and or do anything about it we can move on  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz sits in the middle seat and looks straight ahead, taking care not to glance at the graffiti even inadvertently.
OOC,I have no desire whatsoever to look at the writing again. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay helps where he can, but besides keeping a look out while the others help with Liz, he feels way in over his head. "Good damn thing that didn't happen to me, I don't know English well enough to lose any of it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   It didn't occur to me to investigate or do anything about the writing.... I doubt we have the resources to cover over all the instances .. I think we ought to press on.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The two vehicles climb into the foothills of the Albanian Alps towards the ferry landing at Koman. The ferry landing is actually nothing more than a spit of rock projecting into the lake reached by driving over the hydro electric dam and then through a slightly claustrophobic tunnel blasted through the mountain. There are a number of mini buses, a pack of Czech motorcyclists, a mixed handful of backpackers and a reasonable number of of local pedestrian. The ferry is a simple flat bed drive on drive off ferry onto which everyone rushes at some secret signal. Then almost everyone Albanian troops down below, to smoke and drink lethally strong coffee in the bar.

Outside the surface of the lake is perfectly still. The steep hills on either side and the high mountains beyond seem empty of human life, save for the occasional lonely farmstead stuck high up in the hillside. There are no visible roads, no telephone wires to connect this place to the outside world. The ferry stops several times, allowing passengers to step off the ferry in what appears to be the middle of nowhere and disappear into the mountains. In short it is a two hour relaxing ferry ride through some of the most staggeringly beautiful country in all of Europe.

The end of your day see's the two 4x4's looking down on the town Bajram Curri. From the distance it’s really beautiful, nestled at the foot of ridiculously dramatic mountains, with a scenic plain before it. Up close, it is small, three parallel main streets, easily knowable, and a little wild-westy. Confident cows and ragged dogs wander the streets, there is little car traffic. The architecture is largely in the style of "crumbling communist" decorated with a riot of satellite dishes, window boxes and crisply fluttering laundry, nonetheless a Rough Guide to Bajram Curri might say it has a certain plucky charm, it has a functional market, bustling cafes.

Alex pulls up in a small wired compound which is clearly private parking outside what looks as though it may be a hotel. I will go inside and arrange rooms for the night, perhaps you want to get an evening meal at the pizza place says Alex
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

After the vehicles leave town, Liz relaxes and starts to recover from her ordeal. She takes out her camera and begins to photograph the amazing scenery, leaning around the others on either side of her to get better shots. When Alex mentions pizza, her eyes light up. "Wunderbar!" she cheers, forgetting herself for a moment. "Uh, I mean, wonderful! Pizza would sure hit the spot."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy tries to hide a wry smile at Liz's mixing of languages "Yep, that does sound good.. can we leave our gear in the cars?" he asks Alex
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

Jacob stretch his hands up high and takes off his yarmulke, placing it in his pocket.
Marvelous authentic place. I guess no kosher food over here...
He says when Alex mentions the pizza
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Halal maybe, but Kosher not so much" says Alex. "If you wish to keep stuff in the cars this is OK, one of us has to stay with them until we are all booked into the hotel. Its OK though, the Pizza guy he speaks English I think."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's good," says Liz. "I sure hope I still can when I talk to him. I don't want him to think I'm weird. I mean, I am anyway, but there's no sense advertising it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The six of you are ushered into the small pizzaria by a woman in her mid forties who seats you in a corner overlooking the street. She then proceeds to feed you some of the nicest pizza you've ever had.

Greg looks at Andy over a mouthful of pizza. You're the man with all the plans, so what do we do next?

Return to “Watch the World Burn”