Ch2-14 Coffee table discussions

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Ch2-14 Coffee table discussions

Post by ghill »

"I'm afraid its Greek in the same manner that Saxon is English" says Westerlund not impossible, but certainly not easy.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

I can send it to a Kabbalah Rabbi I know by email, maybe he can help. just let me write that down.
Jacob says
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

As I said I've already translated the Greek (see the transcription in the earlier post) the other bit... lets call it the trigger. I think roughly translates as 'Gone but not forgotten, Cthugha sleeps/waits at Fomalhaut, [promising] death to one and all'. However, the Greek has been written over the top of the existing script and it is this which I believe the Greek is a translation of. I doubt any of you are technically equipped to identify and translate the script.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Is that the only script on the 'sceptre'? Andy stops before he mentions the 'living' flames.... the ones that enveloped him not too long ago.
OOC:   Sorry, thought I'd have more time during my two weeks off work.... DIY takes it out of you!  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Perhaps I've not been entirely clear" says Westerlund "At some time when the sceptre was created probably someone inscribed the a passage upon it in what I'm going to c all the Linear script, due to the soft nature of gold this text was lost somewhat. When the gold smith came to rewrite the script he did so in Hellenistic era Greek with what I suspect are Persian stroke Macedonian influences. If we are lucky the Hellenistic text is a translation of the Linear script, if this is the case we may be able to use it as a key to decipher some of the script in the gold book"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is this something we can do ourselves," asks Liz, "or do we need to find an expert to help? I could prolly whip up a computer program to assist with the analysis."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

A computer is unlikely to be able to help. The issue is with discerning the patterns of the linear script beneath the Greek inscription and trying to match the two. I know of no software in the world which is able to do that at the moment. says Westerlund
OOC:   Guys, this is going be like reading a Mythos tome with a massive time overhead and requiring both a specific skill set and equipment to do it with both of which Westerlund has. Can you do it yourselves, Yes, but from a practical POV do you want to spend months with one or more of you out of play?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I was including [b]Westerlund[/b] as part of "we." As long as he can do it, that's fine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Look says Westerlund "as long as you lot are in agreement I'll keep carrying out research on the sceptre and the gold book. I can also make sure the other artefacts are hidden away somewhere safe, although I suspect the fragments should be destroyed just to be on the safe side."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds good to me," says Liz.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

remind me what's the origin of the artifacts again? dig sites in Albania ?
Jacob asks
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund turns to JacobI believe you said that you thought they had belonged to Adrian and that you thought they might have been discovered in Albania, the artefacts are so old as to predate any known civilisation so I have no evidence to point to the contrary. But that isn't the same as me saying that is definitely the case. Now please tell me while I'm investigating the artefacts further what do you intend to do?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we're going to have to travel to Albania and try to contact Maria Dimachi in person," says Liz. "She was Professor Gosshamm's colleague. She hasn't replied to emails, but she may be in the field. We can look up that fixer while we're there, who might also help put us in touch with her. We may even be able to visit the site where the artifacts were found. Have you heard of Ms. Dimachi before?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Its not a name I'm overly familiar with, unless it was that dark haired woman I met at his barbecue last year. Very pleasant lady says Westerlund.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Well off to Albania it is." Clay starts to make preparations.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"You're right, we do need to get in touch with Ms. Dimanchi and as she's not replied to our emails it does look like we're going to have to go there."

"I think we're happy for you to continue to research the artefacts Professor but I can't emphasize enough how dangerous it is just to have them in your possession... Professor Gossham was murdered because of his 'theories' and I think that there's enough evidence that another sceptre is being used to start fires.... this will literally put your life in danger."

OOC:   Have we dropped the pretence of being a 'documentary crew''?  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Nobody has said anything to the contrary, and Westerlund hasn't questioned matters since(despite?) the events in the classroom. A successful Psychology roll - if your interested - will indicate he's clearly too interested in the artefacts to question any weakness in your cover story.  
"I'd be interested in anything else you might find" says Westerlund "As to putting my life in danger, I shall keep my head down. Understandably, I wont share this information about the artefacts with anyone else quite yet, if only because I don't want to be laughed out of town. Naturally, I hope you wont be bandying my name around either. I can really do without any more adverse publicity."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Lets all go here then to start the Albania thread.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Liz[/b]'s Psychology roll (35% skill) about [b]Westerlund[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Watch the World Burn”