CH2-13 A Changed man.

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH2-13 A Changed man.

Post by ghill »

OOC:   In order to move things along, I've made certain assumptions, basically you have taken all necessary precautions to make sure this is not a trap. Please feel free to add/locate yourself where yoyu will and if you wish to take specific precautions then as long as they can be done in  
As you walk in you see Westerlund sat in the corner nursing a pint of stout. if the empty glasses are anything to go by its clearly not his first. The man looks as though he's been through the wringer his hair and clothes . When he see's you he gives a weak smile and raises his glass.

"I thought a needed something to stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood" says Westerlund taking a long pull on the pint. "I need to see all the artefacts you brought in today" He finishes the pint....and I like you to explain to me exactly what their provenance is.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: CH2-13 A Changed man.

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert brings a tray of drinks to the table, sets them down before sitting down himself.

How are you feeling Mr. Westerlund, I hear you had a 'bit of a turn' earlier, are you feeling better now?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy takes a glass from the tray, with a nod of thanks to Albert. "Are you feeling better?" Andy asks before taking a long drink, savouring the taste, it's been a long day and the cold lager is more than welcome.

"Please believe me when I say that I had no idea of the effect those shards could produce, it was a shock to everyone..."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund looks at Andy and Albert in turn "I'm not sure I'd say things are better, but I would say they are certainly different" he empties the glass of stout and then leans over and picks up another from the tray with a nod of thanks at Albert. Then looks at Andy "I believe you, my boy. Even so, I want to look at the artefacts again, all of them including the shards although, I think we'll take some precautions when we look at them again. Most importantly I want to know there providence."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert smiles in encouragement "Can we assume that you no longer feel that these are clever fakes?" he holds up a hand placatingly and maybe now understand why Gossham was so convinced of his theories?

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund shrugs. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think, but at this point I'm prepared to be more open minded about matters. Let me get some tests conduct on them and then we can discuss Adrian's theories.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers, don't mind if I do," says Liz, picking up a Guinness and taking a healthy swig. "And not a word about me being too young. It happened to me too, and I need this." She nods to Westerlund. "You've got the right idea. We need to date these artifacts and find out just how old they really are. If you need a lab assistant, I'm your girl. I'm a whiz with computers, and I've been studying physics at uni. I'm sure you have your own people too, but I'd like to be part of this. I want to get to the bottom of whatever happened to us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"I'm happy to have you along, but I'm afraid that may not be possible young lady. I don't have access to the tools for noble gas analysis here at Brichester, so we'll need to go somewhere which does. I'm pretty sure I can call in some favours with Mason at the AR lab at OU in Milton Keynes, but he may not want people ."
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Jacob politely reject the alcohol.
What do you think you will find in the laboratory? my guess was the items are cursed ... say can you check if there are traces or a leak of a poisonous gas or a solvent in them that clouds the mind and could explain what happened to you or Liz?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert hides a smirk by quickly taking a sip from his beer. Once he has his features under-control again he says I think Professor Westerlund wants to accurately date the items and he needs a suitably equipped laboratory to do so. he turns to the professor and raises an eyebrow.

We'd like to keep this as low-key as possible professor. All of us at this table have seen the possible effects of these items and we'd prefer to expose as few people as possible to them.

Your friend, Mason, would he be cognisant of what he was dating? Would he have similar beliefs to yourself that they seem to pre-date anything currently known or is he more of a lab technician and just gives you the results of whatever you give him, having no real interest in the items themselves?

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere for someone to deal with curses. I'm honestly only looking to see if there was any truth to Adrian's outIandish claims. As to Mason I expect a bottle of good whiskey will get me the time but he'll still land some poor graduate with the work, rather than do it himself. Westerlund drains the pint in front of him.

You still haven't told me what the items providence is?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay didn't go to the table, but instead got his own pint and went to play darts instead, keeping an eye out for anyone paying too much attention to the meeting.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How can we be sure Mason's people take the proper precautions?" asks Liz. "The whole lot of them could end up scribbling nonsense all over the lab if they're not careful. They need to be made aware of the risks."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

With respect miss, I believe I'm in a better position to guarantee the care and preservation of these artefacts than yourselves. As to whoever does the tests, well I am quite respected in my field. I'm confident, I can control any lab tech conducting tests for me.

Westerlund wraps his fingers around his empty glass.

I notice, no one seems to be prepared to tell me the artefacts providence.

He leaves the table, gesturing at the barman for another pint.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy waits for Westerlund to step away from the table "You're right Liz we can't just hand the artefacts over and not just because they could be.. I mean are 'dangerous' well the pottery shards at least. If we tell Westerlund where and how we got them he might demand that we give them up... they are 'stolen'. I know Westerlund seems more amenable ... but Andy shrugs and take a quick look to make sure Westerlund isn't on his way back.

"I don't think that we should hand over the shards... maybe we could offer to let him test one of the others, maybe not the 'book' though... that has 'writing in it', when he gets the test reports we can discuss the provenance.. he looks at the others "what do you guys think?"
OOC:   We need to avoid any exposure to 'Police interest' - Andy is the only one who's not wanted to help with inquiries at the moment.. if Westerlund calls the cops over a row about the artefacts and we get picked up then finger-prints will be taken that will alert the investigation team looking into the house attack - though it may take a day or two.. and without permanent addresses it might be more difficult to get police bail - This may not happen, of course - but if I was Westerlund and we admitted that we stole the items I'd be outraged... It all depends on whether Westerlund is now an ally or an awkward git.

I don't think splitting up to 'baby sit' the artefacts while they're in the lab is a good idea (from a game perspective) either.

As usual YMMV  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund returns with another pint of stout and a glass of scotch. Well what is it to be, are you going to let the dog see the rabbit?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,My earlier suggestion was to claim that the artifacts had been given to [b]Andy[/b] by an anonymous source. I was going to remind him of it in character, but [b]Westerlund[/b] came back before I had a chance to post.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   It takes 119.5 secs to pour the perfect pint of Guinness, more than enough time for Liz and Andy to say what they will. Please feel free to consider Andy reminded. However, Westerlund is after provenance so simply saying a bloke gave them to us doesn't really answer his question. Saying we stole them from Gossham's personal collection wouldn't either. He wants to know things like: who found them originally, when, where etc. The same sort of thing he'd be asking Gossham if he was here.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy pauses for a few moments to try and gather his thoughts. "We... I'm not trying to be obstructive or mysterious, the truth of the matter is that we're not sure where the artefacts came from, originally I mean.... We came to the conclusion that they were probably brought back by Professor Gossham on his last trip to Albania. We know that he had to 'cut that trip short' due to some kind of trouble." Andy takes a large sip of his beer. "We have two names, of people in Albania, that Professor Gossham had been in contact with, one an Archaeologist the other seems to be some kind of 'fixer', we were planning on contacting those people next. One or both of those contacts is probably the best bet to get any information on the artefacts."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"I assume it would be best then not to ask how the artefacts came into your possession then. But you believe Adrian was the source of the artefacts....and you think thelocation he found them in was probably Albania." Westerlund now quite red faced from the alcohol necks his pint. I assume you believe and by inference Adrian believed, the artefacts supported his hypothesis. Yes?

Return to “Watch the World Burn”