Page 1 of 1

CH2-10a Brichester bound

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 pm
by ghill
Placeholder for those heading down to Brichester to talk to Westerlund, investigate the fire at the proofs house.

Re: CH 2-10a Brichester bound

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am
by Papa Gateau
Let's get down to Brichester then. I'll hire us a car using our false credentials and card - I don't want to be reliant on public transport - I'll pick one up from the airport.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"They'll still see you when you pick it up," points out Liz. "The coppers may put two and two together if they get your description. We'll have to be careful not to let it be discovered where something happens, and we'd best get something that blends in."

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:04 pm
by carnage_lee
Getting new (false) credentials is important - what about getting Albert in the clear with the law? That's best sorted soon... before any more 'weirdness' ensues :)

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:02 pm
by Papa Gateau
I'm not too worried about the law. I've had a think and if I nee to sacrifice my car then so be it.

I can create enough identities and clone cards to keep ahead of the filth and not go bankrupt.

So I'm going to head to teh airport and pick up a hire car with one of teh fake ids and cards.

I'll see you back here in an hour or so.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am
by ghill
Albert returns several hours later with a Blue Ford. He was delayed when the first credit card he used failed for some reason and was retained by the rental company.

OOC:   Fumble roll with the forgery. Albert, can make a reasonable press pass with whats on hand, but would be better off at his house. I'm happy for the next post to push us Brichester way.  

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:57 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy looks concerned that Albert is quite happy not to square things with the police. "You'll have to keep your head down when we go to the university then, you don't want to be bumping into people that you know, might make things awkward."
OOC:   On their journey to Albert's gaff Andy outlines a plan, hoping the others can chip in... he's a bit worried about' winging it'.

Their objectives are to a) pump Westerlund for info about Malta (what really got him into trouble) and see if he is involved somehow - b) something similar with Shauna Wilcox

c) revisit the lockup where Gossham's belonging have been stored.

Do we agree?  

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sounds good to me.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am
by ghill
OOC:   Liz is reasonably confidant Shauna knows nothing about Westerlund's circumstances or anything more about the digs in Malta, while she's certainly been to Malta with Gossham (its the source of the gossip) she seems to have spent nearly the entire time at the pool side.  

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Then we don't really need to talk to [b]Shauna[/b] again. She's already told me eveything she knows except perhaps the timing of the fire, but that's something that I should be able to find online by searching for articles about it.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:56 am
by Papa Gateau
Yep that sounds about right to me.

Don't worry, I'll keep my head down.
adds Albert

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 am
by ghill
OOC:   At Albert's house in Brichester the photgrapher quickly creates what to Andy's untrained eyes looks like official press accreditation. Liz meanwhile has created a "conspiracy website" and arranged for its hosting on a free website, she also believes she has created a reasonable piece of spyware which should provide a reasonable chance of backtracking anyone who accesses the site.  

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can my spyware also search the computer's hard drive for files containing relevant keywords (Gosshamm, Verbti, Verbetoi, that sort of thing) and send copies of them to me?

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:38 pm
by ghill
Spoiler:
Liz, If these are features you want for the program. Yes not a problem its just going to take you a bit longer.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I want it to do that. I think it's worth the extra time considering the information we can gain. It doesn't look like we're in any rush. Can it search emails and do keystroke logging too?

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy is suitable impressed with Albert and Liz's work. He'll accede to not having to bother Shauna in their enquiries instead focussing on Westerlund. Andy will go about arranging an interview with Westerlund whilst Liz works her magic.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:45 am
by ghill
Andy arranges a meeting at the Gate Keeper's a pub just outside Brichester (not far from Westerlund's office at Brichester Uni). Walking in he sees a man sits nursing a pint in the snug who matches Westerlund's description*.
Liz,Will still be working as she keeps coming up with ideas for new features. Your choice as to whether you stop work to attend the meeting.
Westerlund,An old man, probably in his late sixties to mid seventies, with a fringe of grey-white hair around a balding, and sun peeled scalp. He has the resigned look on his face.
OOC:   I'm happy to assume Andy and whoever chooses to accompany him has done their due diligence with scoping the location out and ensuring its safe. As far as they are concerned it is safe.  

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz strolls in behind Andy, wearing a short blue skirt and a short-sleeved white blouse and carrying a notepad and pen. She lets Andy make the introductions and start speaking, as he is the real journalist.
OOC,I'll pause my work while I attend the meeting.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert heads into town and buys a few bit's and pieces before returning home.

Once home he begins work on changing his appearance and making some new id to match.
OOC:   He's not trying any elaborate disguise - just some basics to throw off being casually identified:

Dye/bleach hair - 3 or 4 shades lighter.
Fake/weak pair of glasses that can be picked from Boots or equivalent.
Visit to various charity shops to buy clothes and shoes more suited to his age (no more skinny jeans, biker jacket and cowboy boots).

Under proper scrutiny people would recognise him but a casual glance people would think 'he looks familiar but I can't remember where from' sort of thing  

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Without the disguise skill, this will as you surmise not work for anything but casual glances, or with people who are not familiar with him or at least not actively looking for him. Naturally, he now also needs to redo his passport and other credentials.  

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:44 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy makes quick introductions and enquires if the Professor's glass needs refreshing; after spending a few minutes at the bar returns with a couple of pints of best bitter and a diet coke for Liz and settles into his seat, Checking that Liz is keeping to her role and has her notebook and pen ready.

"Cheers" he says before taking a large sip. Then setting up a compact digital recorder on the table between them. "I hope you don't mind this being recorded?" he says, in a manner that conveys that it's standard practise and starts the machine running, "Thank you for agreeing to this interview Professor, I appreciate you taking the time to meet me." Andy then looks down to his pad to refresh his memory... on the page written in his usual shorthand is the following:
  • Aims
  • information on Malta, why was he 'set up', who does he think did it, how will that affect the University
  • recent terrible events (Gossham et al) - try and find out what Westerlund knows about the research research

Questions
  • You have recently arrived back from Malta after being arrested over some irregularities with some finds, can you give us the facts of the case as you see them?
  • My source tells me that the items in question were not related to your area of research on any of the Universities dig-sites can you speculate as to where they came from?
  • Were there any previous problems at any of the sites - any harrasment etc?
  • How does the University plan to deal with the algations, have any dates been set for any court hearings?
  • Recently you collegue Professor Gosshamm was brutally murdered and recently Tom MAthers was killed in Wales, can you comment on the hypothesis that these dreadful events are linked?
  • I also understand that someone else in a similar field of work was found dead of an aparant overdose, were you aware that Charles Grundy was a drug user? Ay comment on a link between all three men?
  • I am led to believe that there is a possible link to Albanian organised crime and the people on CCTV that attacked Prof Gossham, we know that Prof Gossham's area of expertise was the Balkans and Albania and that he recently returned from that country, so you know what Gossham was researching?
  • I understand that Gossham's latest research included the work you supervised on Malta, can you tell us anything about that?
  • The backers for his research are strongly rumoured to be the Albanian charity 'Kush nderton' have you had any dealings with them, do they support the Universities work in Malta as well?
  • Followups...
  • How well did Professor Westerlund know Gossham, what can he tell us of Maria Demachi?

"I want to ask about your recent problems in Malta, understand you and the Universities position on the allegations and how that might affect your department in the months and years to come." He pauses "I'd also like to hear anything you have to say about the terrible murder of your colleague against some information that has come to light recently." Taking another sip of his pint before he asks his first question....

OOC:   Andy will try and get across that they want to be favourable to Westerlund and the Uni.

Andy will be more than amenable to anything 'off the record' and will agree to stop the recording - however both he (and Liz) will take notes.

If Westerlund gets at all 'difficult and defensive' then Andy is also prepared to 'push; things by switching off the recorder and producing the photos of the relics that they removed from his town house and how 'friends of theirs' had done him (Westrerlund) a large favour.  

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 pm
by ghill
Westerlund seems quite amenable, he clearly sees Andy as a member of the friendly press

[*]You have recently arrived back from Malta after being arrested over some irregularities with some finds, can you give us the facts of the case as you see them?

Yes, well the Maltese authorities have charged me under their Antiquities protection act with the theft and illegal sale of artefacts from the digs. I was questioned by the police and released on bail. The case is due to appear in court sometime later in the year, although the colleges brief says its more likely to be sometime in the new year. As I understand it, they had received an anonymous tip off and some artefacts had certainly turned up in the local markets, but they weren't exactly culturally significant by any means, and certainly not as a result of anything I had done. I'm always very thorough about documenting our finds.

[*]My source tells me that the items in question were not related to your area of research on any of the Universities dig-sites can you speculate as to where they came from?

Maltese fragments, no they're not directly related to my own area of research, although there were quite large quantities at all three of the sites. Now, can I just say they are so common that we don't typically bother documenting them, its a bit like finding a flint arrowhead in the states, its nice, its interesting, but under most circumstances its not a significant find.

[*]Were there any previous problems at any of the sites - any harrasment etc?

None at all. Well I say that but the girls sometimes have a bit of harassment from from the Maltese young men, hot blooded Mediterranean's and all that; but that isn't what you mean is it. So I'd have to say no. If anything the sites have been lacking in the normal petty thievery you come to expect.

[*]How does the University plan to deal with the allegations, have any dates been set for any court hearings?

The college is providing a legal brief in this case, so clearly someone at the top is on my side (he says this with a rather weak smile) Not formally no, although as I said probably early next year.

[*]Recently you colleague Professor Gosshamm was brutally murdered and recently Tom Mathers was killed in Wales, can you comment on the hypothesis that these dreadful events are linked?

I'm afraid I don't know Professor Mather's, except by academic reputation The police say its drugs related, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. Personally, I suspect Adrian put his big size 9's where they weren't wanted and put someone's nose out of joint.

[*]I also understand that someone else in a similar field of work was found dead of an apparent overdose, were you aware that Charles Grundy was a drug user? Any comment on a link between all three men?

I've read some of Grundy's papers, he's a fine academic or I should say he was. I met him once or twice when I went for drinks at Adrian's place. Actually, come to think about it Mathers might have been there as well, I think I remember talking to his wife and young daughter about college choices. I'm afraid I didn't know Grundy well enough to say whether he was a drug user, not sure I'd recognise a drug user anyway.

[*]I am led to believe that there is a possible link to Albanian organised crime and the people on CCTV that attacked Prof Gossham, we know that Prof Gossham's area of expertise was the Balkans and Albania and that he recently returned from that country, so you know what Gossham was researching?

Was it one of those bloody stupid pre-historical civilisations things, he was always going on about? Adrian had a bloody fine mind, bloody fine, damn shame it was away with the fairies half the time.

[*]I understand that Gossham's latest research included the work you supervised on Malta, can you tell us anything about that?

Well lets just say over time the two of us have looked at the same evidence and drawn entirely different conclusions. Adrian was clearly looking for something to support his theories. I thought digs one and two were really quite interesting examples of very early Bronze Age architecture, Adrian for one reason or another simply wasn't interested. Whereas the third site which seemed quite a simple early bronze age temple seemed to catch his interest when he did visit, but certainly not for long.

[*]The backers for his research are strongly rumoured to be the Albanian charity 'Kush nderton' have you had any dealings with them, do they support the Universities work in Malta as well?

Oh when you say rumoured, it makes it all sound hush, hush. They're on record with the college as the funding authority for the digs and I know they've helped Adrian out. We can't take money without declaring it, it might make our research questionable if we wanted to publish. It was Adrian who helped me secure my funding with them actually, I couldn't see any connection with Albania, but he must have said something to get them on side, I never asked because to be honest I suspect he must have bent the truth somewhat.

[*]How well did Professor Westerlund know Gossham,

We were good work friends, went for a pint after work or at lunchtime occasionally, went to his place for summer BBQ that sort of thing.

[*]what can he tell us of Maria Demachi?

Never heard the name I'm afraid

Re: CH2-10a Brichester bound

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz sits with her legs crossed, resting her notepad on her knee and taking diligent notes. She glances over at Albert and then at his camera, wondering if he should share the pictures of the dig sites with Westerlund and get his opinion.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 am
by carnage_lee
[*]Recently you colleague Professor Gosshamm was brutally murdered and recently Tom Mathers was killed in Wales, can you comment on the hypothesis that these dreadful events are linked?

I'm afraid I don't know Professor Mather's, except by academic reputation The police say its drugs related, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. Personally, I suspect Adrian put his big size 9's where they weren't wanted and put someone's nose out of joint.
"That's an interesting comment Professor, can you elaborate..."

Have you read any of Adrian's works? He was outspoken in the extreme, if you were an Albanian you might be a bit miffed to discover that everything you've done pales into insignificance in comparison to some ethnic minority who no one likes.
[*]My source tells me that the items in question were not related to your area of research on any of the Universities dig-sites can you speculate as to where they came from?

Maltese fragments, no they're not directly related to my own area of research, although there were quite large quantities at all three of the sites. Now, can I just say they are so common that we don't typically bother documenting them, its a bit like finding a flint arrowhead in the states, its nice, its interesting, but under most circumstances its not a significant find.
"I see.. You're asserting that these charges are 'trumped up', that there's no case to answer?"

Please don't quote me on this, I'm not sure how much I should say with a court case coming but...well, not so much trumped up, but its a very much the letter of the law. My brief says they cant prove my involvement in the the sales of these fragments, but as the head of the dig I'll ultimately be held responsible if they can prove they came from our digs. Considering the intrinsic monetary and historical value of the "antiquities" or rather the lack thereof, I'm not expecting a particularly harsh punishment.
[*]I am led to believe that there is a possible link to Albanian organised crime and the people on CCTV that attacked Prof Gossham, we know that Prof Gossham's area of expertise was the Balkans and Albania and that he recently returned from that country, so you know what Gossham was researching?

Was it one of those bloody stupid pre-historical civilisations things, he was always going on about? Adrian had a bloody fine mind, bloody fine, damn shame it was away with the fairies half the time.
"Was that Professor Gossham's area of research, does that link into his 'upsetting people' that you alluded to earlier?"

Well yes. Imagine your the Egyptians or the Greeks and I come along and say actually you're not responsible for the pyramids or the Parthenon, you can imagine how that might put some noses out of joint. I mean I find that more realistic, than Adrian was involved in a drug deal. I mean the only drug apart from nicotine Adrian took was real ale. Although, let me just add this is all supposition he never mentioned anything to me and he had a pretty keen eye for that sort of thing, he knew when he'd put peoples noses out of joint.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Thats interresting I thought I'd quoted carnage_lee's post whereas I've actually edited it - apologies.  

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   How very dare you...

:P  

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Would photographs of the dig sites help you demonstrate that the artifacts did not come from them?" asks Liz, speaking for the first time.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 am
by ghill
Well as a matter of course the site and all its finds are entirely catalogued my dear. Unfortunately, as I said the fragments can be found all over the archipelago including our site, infact there were a great deal at all three sites, so photos wont really prove anything. The charges are following the exact letter of the law. Quite ridiculous if you ask me as you can find similar fragments in most of the markets, I mean if you walk across a recently ploughed field in some places you'll find more fragments than you can carry. I wish I knew who'd made the complaint to the police, one of the officers said it was the landowner, but considering the landowner is some property holding company I fond that unlikely.
OOC:   The artefacts found in Westerlund's villa bear no resemblance to the stuff he's been charged with selling which are basically fragments of pottery.  

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 am
by ghill
OOC:   Liz recognises a fairly typical academic, he's never going to support any of Gossham's more outlandish claims without empirical evidence because doing so would undermine all his own work as well as stepping away from the security of the mainstream. Liz is aware that there is a statue on site 1 (or rather the remains of one) as well as architectural anomalies which Mathias' specifically said would be the stuff of nightmares as far as dating the site was concerned.  

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:05 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy mentally reviews the answers so far, there's nothing to suggest that Westerlund is anything more than he seems. Someone wanted those dig-sites closed down but they still had to find out who.

"Thank you Professor, you've been most helpful." Andy says, reaching out to switch the recorder off and then pocketing the small device.

"For what it's worth, I think you're correct; Professor Gossham's work, more to the point, his latest work was probably the catalyst for his death. Our research also indicates that Mathers and Grundy were in possession of a pre-print version of Gossham's work." Andy looks directly at Westerlund "All three are now dead... murdered..." Andy takes a couple of mouthful of his beer, savouring the taste... waiting to see if his 'conjecture' shakes any reaction from Westerlund.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"The reason I asked about the photographs is that we recently visited Malta to get some background on the story," says Liz. "A nice chap who wokrs for Patrimonju Malta, Matthias Balbi, showed me around some of the sites, and we took some fascinating pictures. " She glances over at Albert. "You should show him. There were these remains of an ancient statue, just a pair of sandaled feet, but the whole thing must have been fifty feet or more tall! But it couldn't have been built with the primitive technology around at the time, nor the temple. The domes were well ahead of their time, and the designs there had to have been carved with metal tools. Stone just wouldn't cut it - literally."
OOC,Thanks, I'd forgotten about that!

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 am
by ghill
Westerly seems rather taken aback by Andy's change of tone. Academics are a vicious bunch, but I doubt anyone would go to those sort of lengths just because Adrian said they weren't the font of all knowledge, which history made them out to be" Then clearly more comfortable on familiar ground. Yes, well young lady ... yes well we had to move on to site 3 before I could properly look at the statue, really give it a proper look. I expect proper dating of the statue would have shown it was constructed at a substantially later date than the rest of the temple.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps, but the temple itself is an anomaly," says Liz. "Neolithic people did not have the metal tools they'd need to make those decorations, and they're not supposed to have known how to make domes. Perhaps Professor Gosshamm was onto something. It would be huge if a hitherto unknown advanced ancient civilisation were discovered, and whoever found it could write his ticket. Just the thought excites me! It's a shame the sites were closed down. What would it take to get them reopened?"

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:29 am
by ghill
Be that as it may young lady the more likely answer not that its made by some hitherto unknown advanced ancient civilisation but simply that it has been incorrectly dated. Something which I'm sure we could prove if we were able to get back on the sites. Unfortunately, the likelihood is, we wont be able to I've already had a letter from the trustees saying that depending on the court case and resulting publicity, the charity is unlikely to offer any continued support, I also had a letter from the property holding company saying in light of the events they weren't prepared to allow us to continue our digs.
OOC:   Westerlund pauses, considering he's just mentioned the impact of publicity on his financial support and perhaps realising Andy is the press  

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:33 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Don't worry, the recorder is off... consider this as 'off the record'." Andy says to Westerlund. Andy finishes his pint.... "Fancy another?" he asks, hoping to deflect the Professor from over-thinking what he's been saying. So far the interview has gone well, they've got quite a bit of information mostly corroborating their suspicions, always useful to get a different slant on things.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:57 pm
by ghill
An look of relief washes over Westerlund's face. "Thank you, that is a relief. A pint of Pride would be great, thankyou. The thing is the I'm most worried about the property company, I can probably get other sources of finance for the digs. When I was talking to the farmers who owned the land, things were much easier. I doubt farmers are overly concerned about publicity good or bad. As soon as the property company came along it all became much more complicated, now I don't know who I'm talking to, I think their offices are in Victoria(Malta), but there is never anyone there and everything has to be done by email. I expect they want to put holiday villas on all this land."

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:25 am
by Papa Gateau

At Liz' prompting, Albert who has been keeping a discrete presence pulls up a slideshow of the photo's and turns his laptop to face Westerlund

He then collects the empty glasses and heads over to the bar, asking over his shoulder to Liz Same again for you?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:08 pm
by ghill
Ah site three, yes, yes, very good photos. I typically take the site photos myself, or we persuade one of the guys from PHOTSOC to come over for the summer, but you can see the difference between a gifted amateur and a professional like yourself. says Westerlund

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, please," Liz says to Albert before returning her attention to the professor. "What's the name of the property company?"

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 am
by ghill
Green Meadow Holdings says Westerlund "They're always very polite, but they always take their time and its always the same response, sorry we cant help under the circumstances blah, blah, blah."
OOC:   A quick Google reveals Green Meadow Holdings is registered in Jersey which has a stronger attitude towards company privacy. Its going to take Liz some effort to pull any details about them.  

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy scribbles away in his notebook; they've learned quite a bit and now they had see how these new pieces fit into the 'jig-saw puzzle' that was their investigation. The inclusion of the 'property company' was something that they would have to chase down, Westerlund seemed to be genuine but he could easily muddy the waters even more by dropping in another 'player', such as the property company. Till they knew any better they'd have to take this 'Green Meadow' Holdings' as 'suspects'. They had the strands, they just needed to weave them together to see more of the picture.

"Do you have the contact details for 'Green Meadow Holdings'?" Andy asks "Don't worry, we'll be very discrete if we contact them."

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:57 pm
by ghill
Westerlund fiddles around with his phone, before sending Andy all the relevant contact details for Gary @ Green Meadow Holdings.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"How did Green Meadow Holdings get involved in the first place?" asks Liz, making a mental note to hunt down more about them online later.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 pm
by ghill
"How does a property company ever get involved?" says Westerlund "They bought up large tracts of ground on the island, including all three dig sites, they didn't actually interfere with us in anyway so it was never really an issue...until now that is."

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz makes a note to hunt for more information online about Green Meadow Holdings later, particularly their recent real estate purchases in Malta and any connections between them and the charity or the law firm.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:33 pm
by Papa Gateau

Albert returns bearing the drinks. After returning the tray to the bar he sets himself down.

Would you mind if I take a couple of head shots? he smiles Probably won't use them but my editor will have my balls if I'm not seen to be doing me job, eh? he nods encouragingly Just carry on, I prefer the candid natural portraits

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 am
by ghill
Westerlund nods his head and takes a sip of his beer, clearly subconciously posing (chest out, shoulders back, chin up)

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz drinks her soda as she watches Albert at work. I can learn a lot from him, she thinks.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Ward

Andy takes a couple more mouthfuls of beer while A;bert gets some shots; he starts mulling over the interview, replaying it in his mind... wondering if Westerlund was being anything other than helpful.

Andy: Psychology 25%,[dice]0[/dice]

He waits for Albert to take a few shots before asking for Westerlund's email address. "Could you let us know your email address, so we can email any follow-up questions and any article that comes out of this interview? A personal one usually works best, I promise not to spam you." he grins wryly at the latter part of his request.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:01 pm
by ghill
Andy's impression of Westerlund is a rather naive academic who simply hasn't had enough exposure to the real world to understand that people might be working at odds to him.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:32 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think we've got enough from Westerlund, for now at least. He's not directly involved (as a willing) participant in the 'conspiracy'.

Looks like we are back to trying to track down the 'Mysterious Businessman'.  

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That and the property company, which is a new lead. It can't be a coincidence that they bought up the land on all three sites.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm
by Papa Gateau

Albert takes a few more shots and then pulls a folded piece of paper from his pocket Sorry, it's a formality but if we use your picture we need your permission, it's just a standard [url=chrome-extension://gbkeegbaiigmenfmjfclcdgdpimamgkj/views/app.html]model release form[/url] - can you just fill out your details and sign where I have indicated, thanks he smiles and places the paper in front of Westerlund along with a biro.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 pm
by ghill
Westerlund pulls a pair of glasses out of his jacket and leans over the form before writing his signature with a flourish. "There you go"

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:12 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy finishes his pint as Westerlund signs the release forms.

"I think we're all done here, we'll be in touch if we need anything else.. he trails off to give Liz a chance to ask any last minute questions.

OOC:   Time check, please  

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:39 pm
by ghill
OOC:   This is day three for you guys back in the UK day 1: Arrive in UK overnight at hotel aquire car, make plans. day 2: Drive down to Brichester/Arrange to meet Westerlund. day 3: AM meet Westerlund. (the other guys are a day behind you at the moment.  

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Thanks G.

OK, this is what I propose next (night time activities in Brichester!).

Go get lunch, then take a ride out to find the lock-up where Gossham's files were stored. Spend a while to 'case the joint' - tentative plan... rent a transit, go back in the evening and liberate all the items.  

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Professor," says Liz, rising and preparing to follow Andy.
OOC,I should probably keep working on adding features to my malware while you two do the breaking and entering thing. Not really my strong suit.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am
by ghill
OOC:   True, Liz has got very little of her program done at this point and needs to put some hours into the exercise if she ever wants to finish it.  
Having to spoken to Jacob about it Andy knows Gossham's house and storage are both in the village of Deerhurst. Its not hard to find the Professor home, a rented cottage near a charming little village green It is clear the house has been damaged by a fire, a large blue plastic sheet has been spread over a hole in one side of the roof the white exterior walls are extensively smoke blackened. From the materials piled in the garden its clear there is building work in progress. Driving across to the other side of the village its just possible to make out the 1950's style building which looks like an old mechanic’s workshop or something similar. The whole location is surrounded by a thick hedge and seperated from the road by a reasonably long drive.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Can we assume that Albert and Andy have scoped the lock-up and take it from there? Is there anything we want to do before going there?  

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:58 pm
by ghill
Approaching, the building Andy and Albert see its in rather poor repair, old and worn, but clearly weather proof and secure. There are three doors, a set of large double doors (like a set of oversized garage doors) and a third door to the left. All the doors have been padlocked with relatively new padlocks, while the double doors look and feel as though they have also been bolted and barred.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:48 pm
by carnage_lee
This is a 'scouting job'?

If so - we make a list and head off to B&Q

bolt-croppers, crowbar, gloves, storage boxes (the lidded plastic ones that 'the kids toys go in') - we also need 'wooly' hats or suchlike.
Do we need a van (by the description of the amount of stuff that was seen ?)

Can we see through any windows? If so does it look like Gossham's stuff is still there?

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:38 pm
by ghill
Jacob said that the items were near the door, Andy has to boost Albert up so he can look through an unpainted vent window from where he can confirm that the boxes are still there.

There is no suitable store for Andy and Albert to equip themselves locally so they have to drive the 20 minutes back towards Cheltenham. From the description of the goods they decide that the contents can probably be loaded into the boot and or the back of the car.
OOC:   Mid july its going to be late in the evening before things are dark.  

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It's probably just as well you're buying the burglary tools out of town. Someone local could have remembered you buying them and put two and two together after the break-in. [b]Clay[/b] seems ideally suited for this. You might want to contact him.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I'd like to get a consensus with PapaG but I'm not sure going after dark is that good an idea - it's automatically 'suspicious' if spotted by anyone but going later afternoon wouldn't necessarily seen as such.

Might be an idea to buy new padlocks and replace them - then post the keys to the landlord - that's if we cut them off... bolt croppers are fairly hard to use, it's often far easier to break the hasp away from the door (noisier though).

As the 'lock-up' is reasonably remote and screened from view I would guess it's best to just drive in.. keep an eye out for any 'nosey-parkers' (or those damn pesky kids) - go in through the small door - grab Gosshams stuff and drive off. If anyone is around then 'we are lost' or 'is this so and so's place' and we leave with a nod and a smile.

We could phone ahead and get the landlord to go to the cottage... the loss adjuster needs to see something ... or 'I saw two shifty blokes poking around that cottage what got damaged by that fire' - if the landlord's at the cottage - he aint gonna be at the lock-up.

Needless to say we need to avoid the rozzers... don't fancy being nicked for 'going equipped'.

I think a simple plan is best.

(Disclaimer: Dear Theresa May - This is a game - I am not planning nor have I ever planned a burglary and most definitely not participated in one.)  

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm
by ghill
Clay,Lets be clear Clay is neither cracksman or a jumpsman. He is a rampsman or a rusher. That is if it involves violence of some measure, he's probably your man.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:53 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I don't plan on involving Clay ;) this is definitely not up his street - besides he's otherwise occupied.  

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:29 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Sorry,forum notifications seem to be sketchy.

I agree, I think we should act as though we belong there. Just cut the chains, grab what we're after and be gone. Amongst our purchases should be some basic over-alls and gloves.

I'd say head out around 4:30pm - before people get home from work and any mums should be distracted by their kids just returned from school. Alternatively we do it late at night - 3-4am when all good folks are asleep.

When Albert looked through the window did he see any burglar alarm sensors (PIR and/or door latch) and/or is there an alarm siren/box on the outside of the lock-up?

Spot Hidden[60] - [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:08 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Albert noticed an external alarm bell (old fashioned round ringer type) mounted externally, and evidence the window was alarmed tape contact, on that basis the door might also be alarmed. However, its hard to see how you could see how you could alarm the double garage type doors as they are so flexible that the wind would constantly be setting off any contact type alarm. In addition there didn't seem to be a phone line connected to the building.  

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:35 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Ok - so part of our shopping after the recon will be some of those scouring sponges (a picture paints etc.) which we can insert between the bell and the hammer so if the alarm does go off it won't make any noise.

We'll also buy a new pair of trainers each - same make and size (Andy and Albert are close enough in SIZ that we should be able to do this) which we'll destroy/burn after the break in.

@carnage_lee - you good with this, are we ready to rock?  

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Sounds good to me - nice thinking :)  

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:51 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Either one or other of you want to run an IC description up to the point you break the locks on the doors.  

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Will do  

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:19 pm
by carnage_lee
After dropping Liz off so that she could continue with her programming tasks Albert and Andy continued on over to Deerhurst. The soon make out the cottage that Gossham had rented, it being the only dwelling currently undergoing extensive building repairs. The roof had obviously been partly destroyed and a large blue 'tarpaulin' had been secured to cover the hole, keeping the weather out. Driving out of the village they soon come across what has to be the lockup set back from the road behind a thick hedge. Not seeing anyone about they stop the car and walk along the drive, not wanting to loiter too long they both quickly take stock of the building.

Andy cheack the double doors, they're old but servicable, secured on the iside by bolts - no easy way to open them from outside.

Albert heads towards the side door, old but locked with a surdy padlock and hasp. Albert notices a small window set high up the wall and calls Andy over , with Andy's help Albert can see the boxes that contain Gossham's papers look like they're still there.

Albert points out the old bell on the side of the building "The window's alarmed, maybe the small door too, well probably." he shrugs.

Taking a last look about the two 'investigatos' head back to the car and head off, stopping after five minutes at a convenient layby.

Over the course of the next fifteen minutes or so they discuss their options, finally deciding on 'breaking in' later on that day. Coming up with a suitable shopping list they then head off in search of a 'DIY' store to obtain the items on their list. Heading towards Cheltenham they come across a small retail part with a 'Homebase' store and a 'Sports Direct outlet amonst others.

From Homebase they scoot around pushing an annoying shopping trolley that keep pulling to the left and pick up most of the items they had listed and soem others as 'camoflague'.

Crowbar, paint brushes + rollers, 5l trade matt emulsion (white 3 tubs), masking take, car sponges, a padlock, bolt croppers, dust sheet, a couple of plastic storage bins (lidded), overalls (two pairs), some latex gloves, a saw, tool-kit (screw-driver, hammer, spanners, etc.) and a small step-ladder, cleaning cloths and a bottle of methylated spirits. Paying for those then while Andy puts that lot into the car Albert heads into the sports store to purchase a couple of pairs of cheap trainers.

The two then spend the rest of the afternoon wiping all the tools down, whist trying not to disrurb Liz as she taps away at the keyboard.

At the appointed time both men put in the overalls and their new trainers, old clothes into a small holdall, then drive off to the lockup arriving at around 4pm. Andy directs Arlbert who reverses into the drive and up to the double doors.

Checking that no one is about they unpack their 'disguise', the dust sheet goes on the floor followed by the tubs of paint, rollers and brushes. They pop the lid on a tub and fill a tray and Andy starts to apply the paint to the wall, meanwhile Albert sets up the step-ladder and using the sponges and masking tape stuff the inside of the alarm bell to dampen any sounds. Using Andy's inexpert rollering and the car as cover Albert collects the bolt croppers...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 pm
by ghill
The padlock presents some resistance to the bolt cutters such that Albert has to remove the cutters and try again, but with a final grunt he manages to break the padlock. Slipping the door open slightly Albert slips inside.

The inside of the lock-up is cluttered with tools, garden supplies, car parts, camping gear and old furniture most of which looks as though it has been untouched for some time. In a space by the door however is a selection of dismantled furniture and a collection of about a dozen boxes each clearly marked “Adrian”. Most of the boxes hold either clothes or textbooks, all of which have been clearly smoke damaged.

Three of the boxes however are of distinctly more interest. In stark contrast to the other boxes the contents of the final three have been packed with a great deal of care. All there have been opened recently (Albert knows this was Jacob) the books and artefacts inside were clearly carefully packed; the cardboard boxes themselves have been filled with Styrofoam chips.

The smallest of the three boxes what appears to be several years’ worth of correspondence, all of which has been carefully tied up with ribbon. There are several hundred letters, some of which are several sides in length. Working carefully through the letters for anything of interest will clearly be a few days work.

The second box is packed with books, each individually wrapped although a number have been torn open.

The Third box is a heavy wooden packing case, inside of which are four smaller boxes. Again it looks as though these have been open recently and quickly returned (Again, Albert and Andy are aware Jacob opened this box)

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"We'd better take those two..." Andy says pointing to the boxes containing the letters and the books. "I don't think we'll get that packing case into the car, let's just take the smaller boxes." With that Andy starts to move the box of letters to the doorway... "You better keep doggo Albert, just in case.", Andy looks nervously to the doorway.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:57 pm
by ghill
As far as Andy can see there is no one around. In fact Andy thinks unless someone was to come down the short lane, its hard to see how anyone would even notice they were here.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:41 pm
by Papa Gateau

Alright fella - you do the lifting and I'll do the watching Albert winks and smiles before going outside and checking the lane and around the lock-up.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:27 pm
by ghill
Albert can see people walking passed at the end of the lane, but no one seems the slightest bit interested in what is going on at the lockup.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:12 pm
by Papa Gateau

It's all clear out there, couple people out for a stroll but I don't think they know we're here - let's get this stuff in the car and get out of here sharpish Albert picks up one of the boxes from the door and pits in the boot of the car.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy nods in agreement and carries a box to the car... "We'd better clear up before we go." he says and starts to pack the tools away after the boxes that they'd just pilfered.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm
by ghill
It is a matter of minutes for Andy and Albert to clear away their camouflage and stuff the stolen materials into the boot beneath a drop cloth.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 pm
by Papa Gateau

As they finish loading up and prepare to drive Albert grins Eat your heart out Raffles. I reckon you and I deserve a quick pint, whaddya say?

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 pm
by ghill
Pint or not the two burglars eventually return to the hotel where Liz sits poring over a considerable amount of code.
OOC:   Considering the amount of thought which went into the planning, I'm happy to assume a similar approach is taken to cover tracks post job.  
OOC:   OOC: Thank you Mr Handy for being so patient.  

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz looks up when Andy and Albert return, still typing blind on her laptop. She has done this enough that she knows where the keys are even without having to look at them. "Well done, chaps," she says. "Let's see what you found."
OOC,No problem. I've been pretty busy anyway.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:12 am
by ghill
Box One
The smallest of the three boxes contains several years’ worth of correspondence, all of which has been carefully tied up with ribbon. There are several hundred letters, some of which are several sides in length. Working carefully through the letters for anything of interest is a day’s work.

Box Two
The second box is full of books .
  1. The Quadripartite, Latin w/English translation, 464pp Ptolemy, Cambridge Press 1923
  • The Histories – Latin w/English translation, 448pp, Polybius, Cambridge Press 1954
  • Le Geographica de Strabon, 3 vols, containing Books 1-17, Strabo, translated by Beauvoir Rue de Bremoir 1908
  • The life and times of Ulpius Crinitus - Latin w/English translation, 640pp London Ancient Historical Societ Press (LAHSP), 1928
  • The History of Alexander: Bks.V-X v.2: Bks.V-X Vol 2 – Latin w/English translation, 640pp LAHSP, 1946
  • The History of Alexander: Bks.I-V v.1: Bks.I-V Vol 1 – Latin w/English translation, 500pp LAHSP, 1946
  • Anabasis of Alexander: Bks.5-7 v. 2 - Latin w/English translation, 604pp LAHSP 1933
  • The Complete plays of Aeschylus – 400pp Chicago University Press 1966
  • Baxter’s “Ancient Tribes of the Balkans – 450pp Oxford University Press, 1915.
  • Pliny’s Natural History – Latin w/English translation 233pp Oxford University Press, 1937
The unloaded contents of box 3

The book
Stored within a small, unadorned stoneware box itself placed within a well-made velvet lined wooden box:
A codex with four pages of what appears to be solid gold sheets - The book measures 8 centimetres in length and 4.5 centimetres in width. It is bound together by gold wire.
Each plate is covered in what appears to be text of some kind. Although the characters are indecipherable at the centre of each page is a single image: they are a horse, a boat, the sun and a knife or possibly a sword.

The Golden Femur
Wrapped within a velvet cloth and sealed within a hard leather map case:
About 20 inches in length the two ends of what looks like its abone have been carefully covered and capped the whole thing has an embossed design of a naked male with upraised arms the head however is that of a the sun or more likely a star, the whole thing is covered in flat, thin sheets of gold which have been carefully beaten around the bone.

The Coin necklace
Stored in a blue velvet lined box, the necklace consists of 18 ancient coins hanging on a heavy gold 9" chain. The coins have all been crudely struck on fragments of other coins.

The faded ceramics
Wrapped in a yellowed copy of the Times dated 12th October 1913 are three large pieces of ceramic. Two bear heavily worked painted decorations incorporating equine motifs. The third, larger, piece was also decorated, but has been defaced: At some point in time someone has scratched the same pattern of symbols into the pottery over and over again.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shiny!" says Liz when she sees the contents of the boxes. "That'll take some going through. Maybe you chaps can do that while I code. Those letters might give some clues as to what to look for in that box full of books. Right now the only one that looks relevant is the Baxter one, but once we learn more, we may get pointed towards the others."

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:46 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy looks at the letters and books forlornly, Liz is right, they need to start sifting through their haul.

"OK then, heads you get the letters, tails I do?" he says as he fishes a coin from his pocket.
Heads I win.. Tails you lose...,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:47 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I guess 2 = tails ...  

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:04 pm
by ghill
As Andy sifts through the mail it becomes clear to him that the Prof and Maria had a "thing" going on (and off) since they were at college together. Not only that but she is or was at least sympathetic to some of his stranger ideas.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 pm
by ghill
Further analysis* of the box's contents indicates it contains several years’ worth of correspondence. There are several hundred letters, some of which are several sides in length.

Many of the letters are to Maria Demachi. The vast majority of these are personal correspondence and it is quite clear the professor and Demachi have/had a long history (on off romantic/physical). The letters cover a variety of topics mainly home and work life, they rarely talk in detail. The exception to this is the most recent letter. Where Demarchi talks about receiving the package and her hopes to continue translating the texts included in the photos (NB there are no images in any of the copies of the thesis which you have seen)

One other letter which seems out of place is from a Mr Alex Avlonyali, an Albanian fixer who Professor Gosshamm has clearly used on several occasions before. Alex’s letter is an apology for not being available to assist the Professor when he next visits the country due to the ill health of a relative. The date for this seems to be just shortly before the professor last went to Albania.

In the top of the smallest box is also a DHL invoice for the delivery of a manuscript and camera memory card to a Ms. Maria Demachi in Tirana Albania (Jacob has a photo of this invoice on his phone)
OOC:   * Its a days work to sift through the letters, but it occurs to me Andy and Albert could probably do this in an evening.  

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think she was in Tirana, not Trieste (which is in Italy).

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:31 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

As he sorts through the letters Andy makes separate piles one for anything 'interesting' and another for the mundane letters, the bulk of which are the letters from Maria Demachi. After hours of speed reading them he has very few letters of interest but shows the others his findings.

Looking a little glum as he discusses his findings, "No smoking gun here I'm afraid. We've got the DHL invoice, that Jacob snapped earlier and something that may prove helpful later. If we travel to Albania it might be worth contacting this Alex Avlonyali he might be able to held us and god knows we need it!" He bundles up the bulk of the letters and puts them back from the box e got them from, keeping the ones he had selected as being important to their investigation.

"We need help with these artefacts, do you think we could send photos of them to Westerlund for him to help identify?" he ask the other two.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought," says Liz. "You can always say you got them from an anonymous source. Are you sure we can trust this Alex Avlonyali? We don't really know anything about him. He could lead us into a trap. I think Maria would know more about him, and she'd prolly be open to helping us finish Gosshamm's work. I think it's sweet that the two of them got together. The poor dear might not even know what has happened to him yet."

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:27 am
by ghill
OOC:   The letter from Alex Avlonyali is written in a manner which leaves little doubt that he and the proffessor are a) friends (he mentions Maria and talks about his wife and kids) b) have a reasonable long history together - he talks about two previous expeditions to the North of the country.  

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm
by ghill
OOG: The problem will be Westerlund's world view probably doesn't allow him to draw conclusions simply from looking at things. He'll look at a broach for example and if it looks Hellenistic Greek he'll say its a Hellenistic Greek broach, when proper examination might lead him to the conclusion its designed by an ancient race of sub aquatic beings.

NB None of the artefacts are designed by an ancient race of sub aquatic beings

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm
by ghill
Having finished the website and the spyware backend Liz "pushes it live" and is gratified when it starts to send her info of those hitting the page (initially this is simply search spiders like Google and Yahoo) While she watches events on the site she is able to Google the list of books from the other box.

1. They are all readily available from academic book specialists, they are expensive, but more modern cheaper imprints are also readily available)
2. All of them are on Gossham's course reading list.
3. They are mentioned in the bibliography of his previous papers and in the current thesis.

Reading them would take several months.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:53 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   A little time travel...  
Let me just photograph these artefacts and I'l give you a hand with those letters Albert says.

He picks up the items and takes them across to his studio, setting them up in a light box and ensuring he captures plenty of detail of each.

About and hour later he returns to the front room You see the horse motif on the book and the ceramics - are they similar at all to our friend's tattoo he asks before sitting down and picking up a pile of letters.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz tries to remember how the horse tattoo looked. "Well, the site's up and running," she says. "We can spring the trap any time we're ready, and now I'm freed up to do some poking about online to find out about who's really behind that property company. We could also check in with the others and compare notes."

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:34 am
by ghill
To the best of Liz's recollections it does indeed look very similar....it also bears a marked similarity to some of the photos of carvings Albert took at the last dig site.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now you mention it," says Liz, "the horses do look a lot like the tattoo, and it also resembles some of those carvings at the dig site."

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:36 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay comes into the house to see everyone busy. "Hello there, we are back. What the hell is all this mess?"

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, hullo," says Liz, looking up. "This is Gosshamm's stuff. We learned a bit more from his letters. Gosshamm and Maria Dimachi were an item, it turns out. Also, we've got the name of an old mate of his in Albania who's a fixer and might be able to help us when we go there. I've got the spyware and the website up and running too. What did you find out?"

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy welcomes the others back and quickly tides the letters and papers away so that they can be seated, keeping those that are 'important' to hand.

"Talking to Westerlund didn't really add anything new or of interest, we have the interview recorded so you can listen if you want? This stuff is from that lockup you visited the other day, much more interesting... what do you make of these? " Andy indicates the artefacts...

"And, how did you get on in London?"

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm
by Papa Gateau

Hey fella, nice to see ya, how'd it go up town? Albert gets up and grabs a beer from the fridge for Clay Anyone want a refill?

He returns to the sofa - handing beers to those that requested one.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:44 am
by BenTheRat
"Yea, I'll take a beer. Afraid we didn't find out a lot. We stalked out the law firm, of Redrupp and Vosper. Geez even their names have their noses up someones arse. We found out they were buying up a lot of land in Malta and Gozo. Mostly the dig sites and the areas around them. We dug up the name Alex Rudaj the only trustee for the “Kush nderton” charity." Clay spells out nderton, not sure how to pronounce it. "Wonder if this Alex fellow is the mystery man we've been trying to put a finger on."

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Westerlund did tell us the name of the property company that's also been buying up land at the dig sites: Green Meadow Holdings," adds Liz. "They bought the ones we looked at on Malta too. They're registered in Jersey, so it's going to take some prying to find out more about them, but I'd wager they're connected to the law firm."

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"I think we can assume that 'Redrupp and Vosper' were acting for 'Green Meadow Holdings'; they may well be the same - we're not going to find out any time soon with the resources we have to hand, off shore company registrations are notoriously hard to unravel without cooperation. Finding anything we can about this 'Rudaj' character looks like it's our next step; best we tread carefully though. If it is him 'pulling the strings' then he's a very dangerous individual and we can't leave any tracks that lead back to us."

Andy thinks for a few moments, "What are out finances like Albert? I think we're going to need to get hold of new phones at least... he asks.
OOC:   We need to have a good think about the artefacts.... they must be important...  

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:11 am
by ghill
carnage_lee wrote:Andy Wade

"I think we can assume that 'Redrupp and Vosper' were acting for 'Green Meadow Holdings'; they may well be the same - we're not going to find out any time soon with the resources we have to hand,
OOC:   The letter would seem to indicate the three dig sites have been acquired by R&V whereas Westerlund was a clear that the company who owned this property was Green Meadow. One of the three cards is now defunct, its not entirely clear at what point the other two cards become worthless.  

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 pm
by royya
God bless you friends.
says the Rabbi
This Rudaj fellow might be in Beaconfield
Jacob hands the documents they found to the others to see if they can dig something themselves.
Have you found something?

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:15 pm
by ghill
Greg, peruses the item laid out on the table. Picking each up in turn. What are we going to do with this stuff when its all over. I mean the book looks like gold. He opens the map case and unwraps the velvet to reveal the sceptre That looks decidedly as though its made out of some one's femur"

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:58 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay looks over them, "Well I know a fence..."

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It belongs in a museum," says Liz. "Really, I think Maria ought to have them. She was very close to Gosshamm, and she's interested in his research. We could have this lot shipped to Albania before we eventually head there ourselves, once we're done looking through it. She can prolly tell us more about them, but how would we explain how we got them?"

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 am
by ghill
So what next says Greg

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm
by royya
My nephew would probably cast D&D's detect magic on the items.
Jacob says and chuckles
But seriously, why should we send it to Albania, do you think the items are important for our investigation?

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like I'd get along with your nephew," says Liz with a smile. "Yeah, I think they might be relevant. It would be better to send them on and pick them up when we get there, just in case we have need of them. And if we don't, Maria should still have them. Anyway, I think we're ready to spring our little trap with the website. The hook is baited. Now we just have to see who bites."

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:20 pm
by ghill
Spoiler:
Liz, Can I have a Spot Hidden please and then a Computer Use - success in the first identifys a sudden increase in traffiic (as it happens) to Liz's new site, the second that the hits seem to be annonymised and highly secure (her little hidden viral payload trick doesn't seem to be getting any results)
OOC:   Guys, I'd appreciate some steer as to what and where your heading next.  

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:58 pm
by BenTheRat
"Liz, were you able to find out anything on Raduj or whatever his name was? I mean that doesn't sound very common." Clay asks while wondering how he ended up with a bunch of nerds.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"I haven't had time yet," says Liz. "I've been too busy coding and setting up my little Trojan Horse, but I'll get on that and see what I can find out about him." She looks back down at the laptop. "Hmm...doesn't seem like the bait's been taken yet."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) to detect the traffic increase. [dice]0[/dice] Computer Use roll (70% skill) to detect that the hits are anonymised. [dice]1[/dice] Once I find out what I can about [b]Rudaj[/b], are there any more leads we can follow up on in the UK or Malta? If not, we'd better start making preparations for a trip to Tirana, Albania.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:11 am
by ghill
Liz - Rudaj,The man has no obvious web presence beyond entries for the charity and very few relating to that. Even the address details you have for him in Beaconsfield don't seem tied to him in anyway (its on the books of a high end letting agency)

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"The man's a complete cipher," says Liz after some searching online. "The only stuff about Rudaj on the web has to do with the charity, and there's not much of that. His listed address in Beaconsfield is owned by a pricey letting agency. He could well be our mystery man."

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:30 pm
by ghill
OOC:   I should point out Liz's search at this point is simply an extensive web search if Liz wants to start looking into HM's Revenue & Customs or other official websites its going to take her much longer and require some serious Computer Use  

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:34 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Once we're done with... with whatever it is we're involved with... investigation I suppose you'd call it, then I agree the relics ought to go back to Albania and Maria would be best placed to make sure they get to the right place or rightful owners. And while they may not be 'magic'.. " he gives a wry grin to Jacob "I'm willing to bet that they are important and we can make use of them to aid us. I'm banking on the fact that whoever our 'enemy' is, that they want the manuscript and those aretefacts; the only problem being... they are willing to kill to obtain them. It might even be worse.... they might try to kill anyone who has read the thesis... they have done so far.... "

"If anyone hits the site... then we know it's probably because of the email... right Liz? Not something that someone is going to come across by accident ...."

"We need to secure everything we have... what about renting one of those small storage places?" he suggests.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, there are web bots from Google and the like that scour everything on the web," says Liz. "That accounts for the early traffic. Once they start collecting data from the site, people might be able to find it in a search engine, but only if they're looking for that sort of thing. I deliberately didn't do any search engine optimisation specifically to keep it hidden from anyone who doesn't know about it. I can prolly find out more about Rudaj by prying into official sites, as long as we've got the time. A storage unit could work, just make sure you use one of the fake IDs."

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm
by BenTheRat
"Yea I can take care of that. Just get everything boxed up and I'll go set up a unit." Clay says, grabbing a quick snack and coat and heads for the door.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:48 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Assume time has passed a new day has dawned, Clay aquires a unit in a a local self storage centre without issues.  
"So we hide the treasures in this self storage locker, which seems common sense but what are we doing next?" Says Greg

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:37 pm
by Papa Gateau

Let's give Liz a couple more days to see what her website comes up and to dig a bit deeper into this Rudaj bloke - do we even know what he looks like?

Then I think we should be heading to Albania and Maria - she's our strongest lead or expert on this stuff.
he pauses and takes sip from his coffee.

And I think it's time I cloned some new cards - the others are nearly a month old with some strange spending patterns on them, they could get flagged up and cause us problems just when we don't need it.

Our ID's should be good but I can make us new one's if we want to travel to Albania on different ones - we don't know how far these people's influence extends or how good they're hacking skills are. They could have a watch on for people that visit Malta and Albania in close succession - or maybe I'm just getting paranoid!
he gets up and strolls around the crowded living room Whaddya think? I little jaunt to Albania and chat with Maria?

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Sounds good to me," says Liz. "I'm keen to meet her. And since I went to Malta as my regular dizzy self, I can still use my original fake identity to go to Albania without needing a new one." While Albert works on the new identities, she digs into more official sites to find out more about Rudaj, starting with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 pm
by ghill
Liz and HMRC,Can I have three [b]Computer use[/b] rolls for Liz to 1) Hide her tracks 2) Detect weaknesses in the HMRC infrastructure 3) Exploit and gather information. The first one is a normal roll the other two are difficult (half skill although success in #2 means the third roll is a normal one)
Cards Albert,Albert will need some cash upfront to get the card details he's going to use to clone from - [b]Credit Rating[/b] check please

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz cannot find any obvious weaknesses in HMRC, but then again she expected it to be very secure. She cannot get access to the information she needs.
OOC,The first Computer Use roll, which was a success (and in fact less than half of my skill), is in the post above. At least I covered my tracks well.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 am
by ghill
Liz,the web server on which you placed the new web-server is no longer available.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't get anything on Rudaj," says Liz. "Their security is just too good." She then notices something and does some frantic typing. "Hey, our web site's gone! The server where I put it is down!" She reviews the logs and tries to figure out what happened.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"What do you mean.. gone?" Andy asks suddenly very concerned. He moves over to where Liz is tapping away trying to find out what's happened. "Is there anyway we can be traced? he asks, mind working quickly... imagining cars pulling up outside ...

OOC:   Where are we all at the moment?

How does Andy go about using the newspaper morgue?  

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
by ghill
With the entire server down LIz's Logs end rather abruptly about sometime during the middle of the night. However, as far as Liz can see there was a what might be considered an unussual increase in traffic considering the sites subject matter. Most of the hits were either anonymised (using things like TOR etc), public (busy internet cafe) or effectively beyond repproach (kids home PC in nice middle class family with no criminal or obvious connections) Phone calls to the hosting company reveals that the website wasn't targeted but the entire server was brought down by a DOS attack which looks like they were trying to access payment data for a online Garden Centre website. The hosting company will keep the server down for a while they beef up the security (back up in around 6-8 hours)
OOC:   Currently with the exception of Albert who is off at his house getting documentation/credit cards ready, I've assumed you are all in a hotel as you were when you arrived back in the UK. If Andy was a stringer, rather than freelance he's just make a phone call, as a freelance he'll probably need to talk to his former editor and beg.  

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay is up and at the window before Liz gets out the full explanation. "Rule #1, there are no such things as a coincidense. We are so out of here. Pack everything, we need to be gone in under 30." He checks out front and then around back as well.
If it looks clear he will grab his small bag and go to the door. "Going to take a quick patrol around the peremiter. Lock the door behind me."

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz hastily packs up her laptop and gathers her stuff. "Looks like they've got a hacker too," she says. "They took down the web server with a Denial of Service attack. They didn't target my website, it was one of the other ones on the server. When it's back up, maybe I'll be able to find out more. I don't think they've traced me back here; I've covered my tracks well. But we're better safe than sorry."

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:59 pm
by ghill
Outside Clay see's little to immediately arouse his suspicion, but the car park outside the hotel is busy with cars as its part of a busy Motorway services (truck stop) a person with good optics could be watching the hotel from any number of locations and Clay would be hard pushed to tell.

Inside Clay starts to pack away the artefacts Does anyone want to help with this? So what do we do dump this stuff at the lock-up and run for the airport?

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm
by royya
Jacob gathers his stuff.
Are we leaving now? where to? Beaconfield or Albania ?

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not real strong," says Liz, "but I'll help with the lighter stuff. We can't just leave it behind. We may have need of it in Albania. We've got to ship it before we board a flight. Maybe we should follow up on Beaconfield first. Anyway, let's not panic. I doubt they've traced us here, and if they were about to attack us, they'd use their bloody wireless jammer." She checks her Bluetooth to make sure it's still working.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:58 am
by BenTheRat
"30 minutes isn't panic." Clay says as he packs up the artifacts, "panic is leave everything and run. I think we could just move to a new location and make a plan. Figure out what we want to ship and what to lock up, before we hop on a plane."

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:23 pm
by ghill
OOC:   NB The server went down in the middle of the night (Jacob, Clay and Greg arrived around 8pm) DOS attack started around 2am. Assuming, everyone was up and about they've had several hours in which to track you down if that is what they are doing. Also from the news after the shoot out which drove you all into hiding, they didn't have a wireless jammer, they simply brought down the three nearest mobile phone towers - subtle they are not.  

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy helps pack, making sure nothing is left that can help identify them.

"We're not ready to go to Albania yet, we don't have enough information on what to do, we're better off here 'floundering about' than in Albania. Lets up sticks... to a new town and have a re-think on what we're doing."

"Let's not lock away those artefacts yet, I think we ought to get an opinion on them from an 'expert'."
OOC:   Lets de-camp then arrange to meet with Westerlund.
We still need to identify 'who' is after us!  

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now there's a thought," says Liz. "You can always say they were given to you by an anonymous source. Good old Anonymous, the most prolific writer there ever was."

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:26 pm
by BenTheRat
"Sounds good, I didn't see anyone out there, but they could be watching us. We need to double back a couple times to make sure we aren't being followed." Clay says. As he finishes packing everything we move it out to the cars.
OOC:   That maybe, but our characters don't know that at all. We assumed it was a jammer, and we have no idea of the capabilities of this group we are facing. Even if they traced us,it would be to the hotel, not to a room. But Clay doesn't like coincidences.  

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:34 pm
by ghill
Assume the cars are loaded and driven around aimlessly for an hour or so while everyone tries to see if either has a tail - neither do as far as anyone can discern.

OOC:   I was sure I mentioned that post the incident? - if not my bad. It was immaterial it was more about its potentially been several hours since the site/server came down that was all, you can read that as they're not here yet or they've had bags of time to take you down if they've tracked Liz's location.Your behaviour is exactly the same behaviour as I as a player would exhibit.  
OOC:   I believe you now have the professors details so can ring him directly.  

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think the info regarding the mobile tower being cut down was in the segment detailing Andy's recuperation whilst in hospital.

Andy will arrange a convenient meeting with Westerlund once they've chosen a new location.

Did we get a reply to the email sent to the address that Gossham used for his 'Mysterious benefactor'?  

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That would explain why I didn't see the information about the towers being taken down. I didn't get to read that thread.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:57 am
by ghill
OOC:   Its easy enough for you to make a phone call to the Professor (you have his details from the last meeting) in which case he'll agree suggesting you meet either in the pub where you met last time or at his office in the University.  
OOC:   With regards the email no there is no response - MrHandy can you just summarise any precautions you took when sending the mail, I cant find the original post.  

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I don't remember either, but I'm sure I would have used a Hotmail account registered and used from some other IP address that has no connection to me.

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am
by ghill
OOC:   Guys, I'm waiting to hear where you are meeting the prof and who is going? BTW, if you wanted more privacy at the pub it does have a function room you could probably rent for an hour or so.  

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm
by Papa Gateau

Albert gives Liz a call

Hey lady, hows tricks? I'm just about done over here, are we agreed on what's next? Do I need to buy an English-Albanian pocket dictionary? he goes quiet as Liz recounts the events with the server and their rapid vacation of the hotel.

Hmm, ok, not good but glad you're all out of there. Let me know a time and I'll meet you at the pub with the prof
Forgery rolls,Last time around I only failed on fumbles, assuming the same applies this time as it's basically the same thing: Forgery[80] For the ids [dice]0[/dice] For the credit cards [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:25 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think we will meet in Westerlund's office - Andy will go too.  

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm
by ghill
Albert,Yes that is fine but it takes more than the 12 odd hours you've been away to do all the work, you reckon 72 hours is the fastest you can do it in, without risking quality.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"It should prolly just be the three of us who met him before who go to meet Westerlund," says Liz. "The rest of you could watch our backs, unless there's something else one or more of you want to follow up on."

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 am
by ghill
"Just tell him the story has been picked up by a TV company and the rest of us are there reps, I'm happy to stand outside or wait in the car to keep watch" says Greg.
OOC:   I'd rather everyone was present when possible to prevent people getting bored. Unless people have a specific reason not to head elsewhere.  

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:19 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   fine with me - splitting up is always difficult to handle.  

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That can work," says Liz. "Right, let's go."

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 am
by BenTheRat
"Sounds good to me." Clay chimes in.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 am
by ghill