CH2-10a Brichester bound

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CH2-10a Brichester bound

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The man's a complete cipher," says Liz after some searching online. "The only stuff about Rudaj on the web has to do with the charity, and there's not much of that. His listed address in Beaconsfield is owned by a pricey letting agency. He could well be our mystery man."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

OOC:   I should point out Liz's search at this point is simply an extensive web search if Liz wants to start looking into HM's Revenue & Customs or other official websites its going to take her much longer and require some serious Computer Use  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Once we're done with... with whatever it is we're involved with... investigation I suppose you'd call it, then I agree the relics ought to go back to Albania and Maria would be best placed to make sure they get to the right place or rightful owners. And while they may not be 'magic'.. " he gives a wry grin to Jacob "I'm willing to bet that they are important and we can make use of them to aid us. I'm banking on the fact that whoever our 'enemy' is, that they want the manuscript and those aretefacts; the only problem being... they are willing to kill to obtain them. It might even be worse.... they might try to kill anyone who has read the thesis... they have done so far.... "

"If anyone hits the site... then we know it's probably because of the email... right Liz? Not something that someone is going to come across by accident ...."

"We need to secure everything we have... what about renting one of those small storage places?" he suggests.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, there are web bots from Google and the like that scour everything on the web," says Liz. "That accounts for the early traffic. Once they start collecting data from the site, people might be able to find it in a search engine, but only if they're looking for that sort of thing. I deliberately didn't do any search engine optimisation specifically to keep it hidden from anyone who doesn't know about it. I can prolly find out more about Rudaj by prying into official sites, as long as we've got the time. A storage unit could work, just make sure you use one of the fake IDs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Yea I can take care of that. Just get everything boxed up and I'll go set up a unit." Clay says, grabbing a quick snack and coat and heads for the door.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Assume time has passed a new day has dawned, Clay aquires a unit in a a local self storage centre without issues.  
"So we hide the treasures in this self storage locker, which seems common sense but what are we doing next?" Says Greg
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Let's give Liz a couple more days to see what her website comes up and to dig a bit deeper into this Rudaj bloke - do we even know what he looks like?

Then I think we should be heading to Albania and Maria - she's our strongest lead or expert on this stuff.
he pauses and takes sip from his coffee.

And I think it's time I cloned some new cards - the others are nearly a month old with some strange spending patterns on them, they could get flagged up and cause us problems just when we don't need it.

Our ID's should be good but I can make us new one's if we want to travel to Albania on different ones - we don't know how far these people's influence extends or how good they're hacking skills are. They could have a watch on for people that visit Malta and Albania in close succession - or maybe I'm just getting paranoid!
he gets up and strolls around the crowded living room Whaddya think? I little jaunt to Albania and chat with Maria?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," says Liz. "I'm keen to meet her. And since I went to Malta as my regular dizzy self, I can still use my original fake identity to go to Albania without needing a new one." While Albert works on the new identities, she digs into more official sites to find out more about Rudaj, starting with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz and HMRC,Can I have three [b]Computer use[/b] rolls for Liz to 1) Hide her tracks 2) Detect weaknesses in the HMRC infrastructure 3) Exploit and gather information. The first one is a normal roll the other two are difficult (half skill although success in #2 means the third roll is a normal one)
Cards Albert,Albert will need some cash upfront to get the card details he's going to use to clone from - [b]Credit Rating[/b] check please
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz cannot find any obvious weaknesses in HMRC, but then again she expected it to be very secure. She cannot get access to the information she needs.
OOC,The first Computer Use roll, which was a success (and in fact less than half of my skill), is in the post above. At least I covered my tracks well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz,the web server on which you placed the new web-server is no longer available.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can't get anything on Rudaj," says Liz. "Their security is just too good." She then notices something and does some frantic typing. "Hey, our web site's gone! The server where I put it is down!" She reviews the logs and tries to figure out what happened.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"What do you mean.. gone?" Andy asks suddenly very concerned. He moves over to where Liz is tapping away trying to find out what's happened. "Is there anyway we can be traced? he asks, mind working quickly... imagining cars pulling up outside ...

OOC:   Where are we all at the moment?

How does Andy go about using the newspaper morgue?  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

With the entire server down LIz's Logs end rather abruptly about sometime during the middle of the night. However, as far as Liz can see there was a what might be considered an unussual increase in traffic considering the sites subject matter. Most of the hits were either anonymised (using things like TOR etc), public (busy internet cafe) or effectively beyond repproach (kids home PC in nice middle class family with no criminal or obvious connections) Phone calls to the hosting company reveals that the website wasn't targeted but the entire server was brought down by a DOS attack which looks like they were trying to access payment data for a online Garden Centre website. The hosting company will keep the server down for a while they beef up the security (back up in around 6-8 hours)
OOC:   Currently with the exception of Albert who is off at his house getting documentation/credit cards ready, I've assumed you are all in a hotel as you were when you arrived back in the UK. If Andy was a stringer, rather than freelance he's just make a phone call, as a freelance he'll probably need to talk to his former editor and beg.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay is up and at the window before Liz gets out the full explanation. "Rule #1, there are no such things as a coincidense. We are so out of here. Pack everything, we need to be gone in under 30." He checks out front and then around back as well.
If it looks clear he will grab his small bag and go to the door. "Going to take a quick patrol around the peremiter. Lock the door behind me."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz hastily packs up her laptop and gathers her stuff. "Looks like they've got a hacker too," she says. "They took down the web server with a Denial of Service attack. They didn't target my website, it was one of the other ones on the server. When it's back up, maybe I'll be able to find out more. I don't think they've traced me back here; I've covered my tracks well. But we're better safe than sorry."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Outside Clay see's little to immediately arouse his suspicion, but the car park outside the hotel is busy with cars as its part of a busy Motorway services (truck stop) a person with good optics could be watching the hotel from any number of locations and Clay would be hard pushed to tell.

Inside Clay starts to pack away the artefacts Does anyone want to help with this? So what do we do dump this stuff at the lock-up and run for the airport?
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Jacob gathers his stuff.
Are we leaving now? where to? Beaconfield or Albania ?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not real strong," says Liz, "but I'll help with the lighter stuff. We can't just leave it behind. We may have need of it in Albania. We've got to ship it before we board a flight. Maybe we should follow up on Beaconfield first. Anyway, let's not panic. I doubt they've traced us here, and if they were about to attack us, they'd use their bloody wireless jammer." She checks her Bluetooth to make sure it's still working.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"30 minutes isn't panic." Clay says as he packs up the artifacts, "panic is leave everything and run. I think we could just move to a new location and make a plan. Figure out what we want to ship and what to lock up, before we hop on a plane."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Watch the World Burn”