Page 1 of 1

CH3-01 Albania

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Getting there
By Plane
Tirana International Airport (also known as Mother Teresa airport) is located 25 km north-west of Tirana. However, Al Italia, Austrian, British Airways, Lufthansa, Olympic (Greece), KLM (Holland) as well as the flag carriers of Hungary, Turkey, Bulgaria and Serbia all have flights to Albania. Taxis can take you to and from the airport. An hourly bus service (6am-6pm) runs between the Airport and the centre of Tirana.
By Car
It is possible to drive into Albania from Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia or Greece. You will need all the proper documentation, insurance and possibly a visa though regulations have become more relaxed.
By Bus
Bus services link Tirana to Tetovo (Macedonia), Prishtina (Kosovo), Athens (Greece), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Istanbul (Turkey). Prishtina, is 10 hours away, Sofia 17, the coaches vary in quality, but are generally OK.
By Boat
Those who prefer to travel by sea will find regular ferry crossings link Italy and the Greek island of Corfu with Albania, these ferries travel to and from Durrës, Vlora, Shen Gjini on a daily basis. In addition there are daily hydrofoils between Corfu and Saranda in Albania.  

Re: CH3-01 Albania

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 am
by ghill
OOC:   Unless there are strenuous objections I'm going to narrate the journey to Albania rather than RP it, but I would like to know your preferred method of getting there.  

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:10 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Albert has created new id's and credit cards so we should be able to fly there quite easily  

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I'd opt for flying direct, or flying to Italy and getting a ferry over.  

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   agree, either fly there, or fly and ferry.  

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm
by ghill
The Ryan Air flight to Bari on the Italy's West coast takes just under three hours, Albert's credit cards and passports hold up without issue, the ferry and ferry terminal at Bari are both more modern than you might hope, but its the chaotic and dirty, in typical Italian fashion acquiring tickets is convoluted and misleading and overly complicated. Eventually however you find yourself on the ferry Aurelia. The boat sales overnight and morning sees you arriving at the port of Durres, which in the morning sunlight seems a pleasant Adriatic town

So whats the plan appart from getting touch with this Demachi woman? says Greg
OOC:   CASH, immediate travel costs aside, both Albert and Greg point out that drawing or paying for items with credit cards abroad is risky and can result in the cards being blocked (I speak from bitter experience) The easiest thing might be to draw the maximum amount of cash using the cards however this involves risk as well as drawing large quantities of cash may also be flagged as unusual and thus resulting in the cards being blocked.

Albert and Greg suggest the best way to draw cash on the cards would be to draw the maximum amount of cash at 10 to Midnight and then as soon as the new day starts to repeat the process this would give you a working lump of cash of roughly £5000, you can try for more, but risk losing one or more cards.  

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We should look up that fixer," says Liz. "I'd wager he knows how to get in touch with her, and he may have other useful info as well. He could possibly set us up with weapons, for the right price. Albania has no shortage of them, I'm sure."
OOC,I agree with flying to Italy and taking the ferry. A direct flight could set off red flags to anyone watching. Since I haven't used my Chloe O'Brian identity yet (I went to Malta as myself), I'll be going as her.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:09 am
by ghill
OOC:   If you ring him what are you going to tell him?  

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We could tell him that we're trying to help complete [b]Professor Gosshamm[/b]'s research, or we could continue with the TV cover.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:53 pm
by royya
Jacob agrees to whatever the others suggest.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:09 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Things to consider:

We should be as 'up front' as possible... let him know that Gossham is dead (murdered) and we have his research and need to find Demanchi (sp?) - We can elaborate later (the investigation, etc.) I don't think we should keep up with the 'tv crew' angle - we'd be expected to get permits (or ask about them). We ought to try and keep things as simple as possible... With that in mind we should also have in mind some 'goals' that we want to achieve....

1) Get help from the fixer
2) Find Demanchi
3) .... Get more info about Gosshams research/findings in Albania and .... 'defeat the Verbetoi'?  

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 pm
by ghill
Greg appears with a prepaid phone into which he slots s sim.

Whose ringing him then?

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not me," says Liz. "I'm much better talking to computers than to actual human beings."
OOC,I agree, that sounds like a good approach.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 pm
by royya
I will, I know how to talk to people.
Jacob says
What's the plan?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Thanks for volunteering Jacob" Andy says.

"OK, this is what I think we ought to do. Jacob calls Alex Avlonyali and explains that Gossham has been killed and that he now has the late Professors work and would like see it completed and also try and warn Maria Demachi that she may be in danger - it's probable that he knows her - if not we know where Gossham sent the manuscript and memory card... so we can track her down starting there." Andy pauses... "Sorry, getting ahead of myself there... Jacob I don't think you need to go into to many details and try not to let on that there's a 'gang' of us... only mention yourself and your assistant 'Chloe', that way if things look 'dodgy' we might retain 'the upper hand'. Keep it simple... you were an acquaintance of Gossham and being a scholar yourself; you want to continue the work and would like to engage Avlonyali's help or at the very least meet to ask some questions. It probably won't hurt to drop Maria Demachi's name... even that you've tried to contact here..... Does that make sense?" he asks everyone.
OOC:   We're going to need some more prep and planning... I hope Greg got a few more handsets and spare sim cards.
I'd suggest that we kind of split up into 3 groups... Liz and Jacob... Albert and Greg ... Andy and Clay - if we book into a hotel then it's 2 single rooms for the first pairing - and then each other group tries to get a 'twin room' on the same floor... in any case - everyone will bunk down in the twin rooms in case of unwelcome visitors.

A meeting with Avlonyali could be handled as per a spy movie.... Liz and Jacob in the hotel lobby, one other pair in there also with the other pair on 'overwatch' outside - would be easier to manage if we knew what Avlonyali looked like.

I'm not suggesting we split up the party... just that we operate as 3 pairings till we get a better feel of things.

Anyone else?  

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm
by ghill
I haven't but I reckon I know the type of store to look into let me pop into a couple more and I'll get hold of a load. says Greg getting up from his seat and hurrying off down the street.

When Jacob rings the number for Alex Avlonyali the phone is pretty answered imediatly and a male voice says Yassas
OOC:   Royya remember, if you role play the conversation you may get bonuses to any persuade rolls or may negate the need for persuade rolls altogether. However, say the wrong thing and I wont care what you've rolled. If your worried about role playing it, that then just give me a rough idea of what Jacob is going to say and let the die fall where they will.  

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good to me, Andy," Liz says. "I can be Jacob's research assistant. I'm sort of a scholar-in-training myself."

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 pm
by royya
Am I speaking to Alex Avlonyali ?
Jacob replies and waits for a positive answer.
Jacob interduce himself plainly and tell Alex that he is sorry to notify him but Professor Gossham was killed. Me and my assistant wants to see the professor's last work published as a apaper to honor his memory and we are working to complete the research. We currently arrived to Albania to continue the research and would be happy to meet him in person. Professor Gossham also mentioned a woman named Maria Demachi but we failed to contact her, we would be happy for any assistance.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:03 am
by ghill
The man at the other end of the phone quickly switches to reasonable English, and says yes he is Alex Avlonyali He seems genuinely upset that Professor Gossham is dead says he knows Maria Demarchi and would be happy to help as he considered Professor Gossham a friend. He offers to drive down this evening to meet you so he can discuss exactly what help he can give you.
OOC:   Consider phones and rooms acquired in a reasonable waterfront hotel. If you want to meet Alex Avlonyali in person you need to tell him where and when.  

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   So... assuming we have a few hours to get prepared. The 'smart' thing to do is to arrange to meet at a different hotel... but we probably wouldn't have had time to sort that.

Jacob and Liz will set up in the lobby, grab a table and order 'tea and cakes' - I reckon they ought to do this 30 minutes before the agreed time.

We need to agree who will be covering the lobby and they need to be in position before this time - the 'outside team' can do 'sweeps' of the lobby before this just to get a feel of the place - Looking out for others hanging about etc.

The 'outside team need to be in a position to be looking for anyone else arriving as or after the meeting starts. Signalling that anything was suspicions by using the 'burner phones'.

We also ought to have an escape route planned... the 4 inside making their way out via a fire escape, to a hire car (which we'd need to get). The 2 outside hanging about for a few mins to see what happens then all heading to an agreed point.

Anything else?  

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:51 am
by royya
Jacob is giving Alex the location of the hotel and the hour to meet him and Liz downstairs. He asks for contact information to Maria, comparing with Alex the information he had. He thanks him and greets him farewell for now.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think you've got it covered. Do we still have our Bluetooth devices? We could use those to communicate.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am
by Papa Gateau

Albert looks at Andy Man, you really know your Jason Bourne routines he smiles and winks but you're right we can't too be careful, we've been burnt before....pun intended his face gets serious.

Ok, I'll go get the hire car and then I'll spend some time driving around the local area so I get familiar with the roads. Don't want to have a make a getaway and drive down a dead end. he gets up Meet you back here in a couple of hours?

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am
by ghill
Avlonyali says he's familiar with the location of the hotel and he'll happily meet Jacob there. He asks Jacob what details they have for Maria and agrees they are the same as the ones he has.
OOC:   Hotels - there are a number of hotels with street side restaurants so it would be possible to arrange a meet at short notice and or a hotel room if that is the preferred location.  
Albert Car rental,There are several car rental places for Albert to scope out, with a range of cars prices ranging from £40 for a little mini type, up to £250 for a Mercedes 4WD

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 am
by Papa Gateau
Keeper,Albert will get large 4x4 that is big enough for all us to get into (maybe a bit of a squeeze). He will pay the deposit with cash and they can take a card imprint for the damage/excess cover - this means the card is not actually charged/used. When we return the car the card imprint is destroyed and we can pay the balance with cash.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like a good plan," says Liz. "I hope all this super secret spy stuff isn't needed, but it's best to take precautions."

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Well it's best to hope for the best but prepare for the worst." Andy says to Liz "Now, if this guy is on the level you'll need to gauge when to let him know you're not on your own... we don't want to spring a surprise on him, nothing wrong with being cautious but we don't wan to alienate him either. The last thing we need is to make another 'enemy', so use your judgement.. he might know quite a bit about Gossham's research and theories."

"Righto... let's start to make our sweeps and try and get a feel for what's 'normal' out there... good luck everyone."

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:58 am
by ghill
It is early evening by the time Alex Avlonyali walks into the restaurant foyer of the hotel Lido, he quickly clocks Jacob and Liz and walks over to their table with a smile, taking off his expensive looking bikers jacket and draping it over the back of a chair.

Outside the watchers report he arrived in a Toyota Land Cruiser which is parked up just outside the hotel. Nobody else observed.
OOC:   Alex is reasonably well built,square jawed and dark hair with a smattering of grey, indicating he's probably older than he looks, he has a warm smile which looks to both Liz and Jacob to be entirely genuine - think Altin Lala, the footballer with more grey and a touch more weight.  
Hotel Lido,Situated in the centre of town, but sitting on one of the main drags out of town and just short of a crossroads. There is access to the rear of the hotel and a loading bay. The hotel front and access to the rear are observable from across the street from any number of street cafes makes having a roving team unnecessary, but does mean the outside team have to sit separately to properly cover both approaches.
Whose where?,With the exception of Greg who volunteers to sit in one of the cafes outside to watch the hotel,who is where? Jacob and Liz inside at the table. Andy? Clay?, Albert?

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Do you want any rolls, to see if we've 'spotted' anything prior to Alex's arrival.
The outside 'team' would expect the inside watching team to text/call them that Alex had arrived  

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:06 am
by ghill
OOC:   You are to damn quick I was Just ammending the prior post  

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   :) sowwy Boss

I guess Albert is with the hire car.

Andy will be at a cafe (hopefully sitting outside) on the opposite side from the hotel (or with a good vantage point).

Clay and Andrew are inside, unless they want to change things?  

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 am
by Papa Gateau
OOC:   Albert be wait in the hire car (another Toyota Landcruiser (they sit 6 comfortably)), parked close to the hotel on a main/wide thoroughfare  

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay is sitting a few tables away, reading a paper, his eyes on Liz and Jacob, but also so he can see all the exits as well.
ooc,sorry for the disappearing act, back now

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz, who wears a light sundress with flower designs, smiles back at Alex. "Good evening, Mr. Avionyall," she says. "Please, have a seat. I'm Chloe O'Brian."

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:14 pm
by royya
Jacob, now in a foreign country and far from the UK is not afraid to dress like before - a suit and a yarmulke. "Thanks you for meeting us" Jacob says and shakes Alex hand warmly with a smile.
He motions for a waiter to come to the table and orders a reasonable kosher plate - salad and wine and waits for the others to talk.
For the first minutes Jacob asks about the weather and how beautiful Albania seems like and how he can't wait to see more of the country.
When everyone feels comfortable

"How much are you familiar with the dear, may he rest in peace, professor Gosham?

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 pm
by ghill
I worked for il professore on and off for the last 8 years. Nearly every time he comes to Albania, I think. He always send cards at Christmas, always brings something for my wife and children.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Are you familiar with the research he had been doing?" asks Liz.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:15 am
by ghill
He studies the Verbetoi, their folklore, this does not mean he treats them lightly I tell him often the Verbetoi they have a great many connections with the criminal gangs. Alex pauses for a moment clearly reminiscing. I enjoyed working for il professore, he was not a demanding boss, always interesting to work from and il professore’ was always good company you know very funny...a good friend. If there is some question about how il professore died then I'll help.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:48 pm
by royya
We are not sure yet, it is a matter of the police in the UK but we suspect that he died because he unearthed great secrets and someone. maybe the Verbetoi were angry.
Jacob replies quietly.
We think that you and MAria and anyone who worked with the professor can be in danger so better keep your profile low. Can you tell us more on what you found, where are the dig sites.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm
by ghill
Previously said:   We think that you and Maria and anyone who worked with the professor can be in danger so better keep your profile low. Can you tell us more on what you found, where are the dig sites.  
I don't know why they would be interested in me, I have nothing they would be interested in. You mean what the il professore found, I find nothing I drive il professore around, I arrange accomodation. I am translator, I make sure he has proper authorities...um permits, we visit places we interview people he takes photos of things, we don't go to dig sites unless we are with Miss Demarchi, it is her job, she is responsible for all archaeology in Albania.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"You were right to advise caution," says Liz. "It was one of those gangs that murdered Professor Gosshamm. They gunned him down in broad daylight, and it was all caught on video. It was horrible." She shudders. "They've also killed some of his colleagues. It was big news back in the UK - that sort of thing doesn't usually happen there - but I suppose it didn't get as much press here. Could you arrange a meeting with Miss Dimachi? She needs to be warned of the danger she's in, and she may know more about what he discovered."

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:33 pm
by ghill
Inside: (Jacob, Liz)

"I only really know Miss Dimachi through il professore, I have seen her around when I work for other people but I am only nodding and smiling when I see her, we are not friends...acquaintances is this the word? But she works for Offices of the Albanian Archaeology Rescue Team and I can take you there and act as an interpreter, it is not a good time to be in Also maybe if we mention il professore's name she will more likely see us, does she know il professore is dead? I do not like to be the bearer of bad news"

Outside: (Andy, Clay(for the purpose of keeping an eye on his surroundings), Albert, Greg.)
Street life,Even the most unobservant of you realises despite the calm on the streets there is clearly an undercurrent of tension. The streets are unusually quiet,street cafes and restaurants painfully empty. Pedestrians move with unwarranted haste and there seem to be an awful lot of armed police around. NB: This is general atmosphere your now reasonably acute "we're in the shit radars" are not pinging it a general sense and not specifically about you.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be wonderful," says Liz. "We sent emails to Miss Dimachi to warn of the danger, but we never got a response from her. We did have to tell her what happened to Professor Gosshamm, but we don't know if she's read the emails. Could she be out at a dig site without access to the Internet?"

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:11 am
by ghill
Avlonyali shrugs "perhaps? I do not know her well enough to say, but she has an office, I have been to it with il professore. Maybe shoe does not answer because she does not know you? Maybe her email think its span. I have another business appointment this afternoon, but if you wish to go tomorrow I would be happy to take you."

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds great," says Liz. "I suppose it would make sense to meet here tomorrow. What time works for you?"

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:44 pm
by royya
We don't want to be a burden Mr. Avlonyali, maybe he can write down the address in Albanian so a local taxi driver can help us get there ?
I we'll fail to find her we will be happy to use his help tomorrow, What do you say Liz ?

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:56 pm
by ghill
Tomorrow morning I should be free and we can meet here at say nine o'clock, after that I hope to have more work, so I can give you the address if you would rather, but I do not know whether I will be around to help if you have problems or need anything.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 am
by BenTheRat
Clay makes a call into Liz, "Time to wrap this up, not sure whats going on, but something is."

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says Liz. "Please give us the address. We'll try today, but it might not be easy without someone who knows the language and local academia. if we end up needing your help we can still meet tomorrow."

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:15 am
by ghill
"If you want me to come let us agree now. I want to help with this I consider myself il professore's friend, but I must still put bread on my familly's table, after tomorrow morning I may not be able to help. Also you must be careful in town, it is not a time to go a place like a blind man. The gangs are unhappy they attack the main police station in Tirana and there a battle in the main square of the city, between two of these gangs, many people were hurt.
"

Easy Psychology rolls from Liz and Jacob please a normal one from Clay if he's sitting only a table or so away, a difficult one if he sitting so as to watch the street.

Alex,He's already said he's got an interview after this meeting with a new client and may not be around when and if you need him.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:34 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

From his vantage point sat at a pavement table of a small cafe, Andy keeps an eye on the street, whilst enjoying an espresso and pretending to read a tourist guide he picked up. The level of tension 'on the streets' seeps into Andy's consciousness; there's nothing he can 'put his finger' on, just a general sense of unease.

Waiting until he can catch the eye of the waiter he asks for another espresso and a bottle of water, and asks about the level of police he has noticed...

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 pm
by ghill
In halting English with a strong Italian accent the waiter says there was a fire bombing and big shoot out in Tirana in the last two days, its quiet now, From what Andy can decipher from the waiters several policemen and a handful of bystanders were killed, no one knows what was behind the events.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:27 am
by BenTheRat
Psych roll,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   fail  

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh," says Liz. "Well, in that case we'd best go with you tomorrow rather than try on our own. I know you're busy, and we don't want to keep you too long." She extends her hand. "We'll see you in the morning."
OOC,Easy Psychology roll (35 x 2 = 70% skill) about [b]Alex[/b] [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:27 pm
by ghill
Alex smiles and agrees he will meet you outside the hotel tomorrow morning at 0900 and he'll drive you to the offices. Then shaking Liz and Jacob's hands enthusiastically he turns and leaves the hotel.

Those outside observe Alex leave the hotel climb back into his car and drive off in the direction of Tirana.
Psych Liz,[b]Liz[/b] assumes from his facial expressions and general body language that [b]Alex[/b] was confused and perhaps bit unhappy/embarrassed when Liz and Jacob didn't accept his offer at first.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think he was confused and upset that we didn't accept his offer of help at first," Liz says to Jacob after Alex leaves. "And please try to remember not to call me Liz in front of people when I'm being Chloe. I don't think he noticed. I suppose I could always say that's my middle name if anyone asks, but it's best to avoid it in the first place." She speaks to Clay. "Everything okay out there? Are the bad guys coming to kill us?"

Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:05 pm
by royya
I just didn't want to waste his time so it was a compliment.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I guess he wasn't thinking in those terms," says Liz. "I wanted to go today because I was worried something might happen to Maria Dimachi and didn't want to wait before we warned her, but with the situation the way it is, we'd best not."

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:40 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy thanks the waiter for his information and service; making a mental note to tell the others about the unrest. He settles back and continues to watch the street.
OOC:   Andy will wait for 15 - 20 mins after Alex leaves.  

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 am
by ghill
Twenty minutes later and rather full of coffee and a complimentary glass of Rakia, Andy is happy there is no one watching the hotel or acting against those inside. Likewise Clay, Greg and Albert all confirm nothing suspicious.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:17 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay walks up to Liz and Jacob, "I think everything is ok now. My gut told me something was up, I think we need to move this out of the public eye."

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a relief," says Liz. "Just so long as a bunch of brutes aren't going to burst in here with guns and knives while we're unarmed and helpless." She stands up. "All right, let's go. How should we use the time until tomorrow morning? I don't think it's safe to go about the city on our own under the circumstances."

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 pm
by ghill
OOC:   I'm keen to keep things moving so lets, back post for anything you want to do this evening.  
Alex arrives in the morning with a 4x4 almost identical to the hire car, he drives Jacob and Liz to the offices of the Albanian Archaeology Rescue Team. The offices are in a mixed neighbourhood with the offices on the second floor above a upmarket boutique. The attractive young lady at the desk seems quite short with Alex, however when Alex turns to apologise to Liz and Jacob in English, the young woman's attitude seems to change. She informs them the professor is on holiday, has been for over a week and is not due back from holiday for some time yet. It is understood she is using the time to write up a private research paper.
OOC:   I assume a repeat of the precautions for the initial meet with the Albert staying in the car while Andrew, Clay and Greg find places to watch the approaches to the office.  

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz has donned a navy blue skirtsuit, suitable for mingling with academics while still looking fabulous. "Did she leave any contact information?" asks Liz. "We've tried emailing her, but there's been no response. We've come a long way to see her, and it's very important that we get in touch with her. Is her assistant here, perhaps?"

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:44 am
by ghill
OOC:   OK a fast talk or Persuade roll to see if she'll give you the information - Do you not already have an address for Maria?  

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:39 pm
by royya
Jacob tries to gather as much information as he can. Where is the holiday, where does she live, what about a cellular number or a another private email.

*invisiblecastle is down, any other dice roller that you know of ?

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:52 pm
by ghill
OOC:   If you use the full editor you can use the dice tag. I assume Jacob is going to try and Persuade the woman to give him these details in which case he needs a reason why should she believe him and she should give him these details.  

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz helps Jacob out. "Please, it's quite literally a matter of life and death," she says earnestly. "The news from the UK, where we're from, may not have made it here, but it's big news there. Professor Dimachi's colleague Professor Gosshamm was murdered in broad daylight by a gang that originated in Albania. Since then, colleagues of his who were involved in his latest research have also been killed in a very brutal and high-profile manner, and sometimes their families were targeted too. One of them was killed along with his wife while they were on holiday, in Wales. At the same time their daughter was severely wounded at their home in Kenilworth by members of the gang and would have died had some heroic people not intervened. So you see, it's important that we reach her to warn her of the danger that she - and possibly her family - are in. We'd like to talk to her about completing Professor Gosshamm's research as well, but that could have waited. This cannot."
OOC,I'll roll Persuade too in case [b]Jacob[/b]'s roll fails. We probably do have her address in Albania from the letters we found. Persuade roll (21% skill) to convince the woman to help us contact [b]Maria[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:16 pm
by royya
Please miss, it is very important and as my colleague over here said, it could be a matter of life and death ... we have failed to contact Mrs. Dimachi and we hope to warn her before anything bad will happen.

Jacob says to the woman before them as he place his hands on the counter.
Persuade 65% - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm
by ghill
The young woman seems taken aback by Jacob and Liz's assertion that Maria is in imminent danger and quickly turns back to her computer, taps away for a few moments then writes some notes on a pad before tearing the top sheet off and handing it over.

On the scrap of paper is an address which Alex says is only a few minutes away in the car and a mobile phone number

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Liz. She turns to Jacob and Alex. "We'd best head there now. We can try her mobile on the way."

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 pm
by ghill
Alex pulls up in front of the apartment, even while Liz is listening to the phone ring unanswered.

The apartment building is located a few blocks away from the old Communist Party headquarters. Outside cafes, bars and restaurants spill into the streets and the air is filled with the smell of traditional Albanian dishes.

The apartment building looks light and airy its tenants obviously treat it well, even going to the length of putting out flowers in the halls and around windows. Looking at the buzzers, the apartment is on the top floor of the building;

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, how delightful!" exclaims Liz, admiring the floral displays and taking a sniff. She rings the buzzer for Maria Dimachi's apartment.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:53 pm
by ghill
Liz pushes the buzzer but there is no answer, as she does so a very trendy looking young man walks out. He stands there holding the door and says something in Albanian, he and Alex exchange a few words, before he walks off leaving the entrance door to swing slowly shut behind him.

He says he has not seen Maria for some time says Alex, he thinks she drove off several days ago.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

'If only we know where she went," says Liz. "Maybe if you helped us talk to her neighbours. She might have told them, in case she needed them to feed her cat or something. If she has a cat, that is."

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:13 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Did 'we' make Alex aware of the others in the party?  

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:42 am
by ghill
OOC:   As I pushed matters along in an effort to keep the pace up I did say you could retrospectively post, so if you want Alex to know there are others in the group with Jacob and Liz then feel free.  
OOC:   Again, my assumption is the car is discretely located for a quick getaway and the others are all located to watch the comings and goings around the appartment.  

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Is this address the same as the one we have (where Gossham sent the memory card and papers)?

Probably best that everyone was introduced to Alex and we explained that we were just being careful... mentioning the attacks we had previously endured (why Albert can't wear shorts).  

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:33 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy watches as Liz, Jacob and Alex approach the apartment entrance, a man leaves the building and then moves off after a short exchange with Alex.

"Alex.... the door!" he starts moving across the road... If they can stop the door from closing then they can get inside the building ans check things for themselves...

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:35 pm
by ghill
Alex almost jumps at Andy's yell, but grabs the slowly closing door just before it clicks shut.
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   Is this address the same as the one we have (where Gossham sent the memory card and papers)?

Probably best that everyone was introduced to Alex and we explained that we were just being careful... mentioning the attacks we had previously endured (why Albert can't wear shorts).  
OOC:   Just to be clear, when mentioning the attacks you're talking about violent arsonist Albanians/Verbti, not violent, fire demon summoning Albanians/Verbti cultists right?  

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Yes... the former description  

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy nods his thanks to Alex "It won't hurt for us to have a quick check.." he motions the others inside and pulls out his phone and dials Albert... "Looks like Maria's not here but someone came out so we got the front door open... keep your eyes peeled mate, I'll update you in a mo.. let the others know.." with that he ends the call and enters the lobby.

"Does she have any post?" he asks, thinking that these apartments usually have the postboxes down stairs in the communal area.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 pm
by ghill
There is indeed a bank of locked letter boxes, but they are sturdy metal affairs which will need some effort to open (and possibly tools which you don't have on hand - although a tyre iron might be adequate.)

The apartment is one of two on the top floor of the building (although the other apartment appears to be For Let; Upstairs someone has opened the hallway windows wide open but there is still a faint but unpleasant smell of urine and shit. The apartment door is slightly ajar.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have a bad feeling about this..." whispers Liz, stepping back in fear. "Looks like the gang have already tossed her flat. I hope they're not still inside..."

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 am
by ghill
OOC:   if it was the Verbetoi then they didn't enter forcefully the door appears unmarked (no damage to the lock, no boot print on the door etc.)  

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Seeing that the mail boxes are too secure for them to access quickly Andy follows the others up the stairs. Andy's nose wrinkles in disgust a the disagreeable odour, Liz's whisper brings him out of his thoughts of the state of the blocks of flats near to where he grew up.

Andy motions the others to hang back a bit and moves slowly to the door, standing to one side he cocks his head to one side and listens intently...

Andy Wade: Listen:40%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:06 pm
by ghill
Andy hears nothing. Although with his head next to the door its clear the smell is coming from the room.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"I can't hear anyone moving about in there.... but it smells bad..." he whispers to the others... "Be ready to run..." he continues before using his foot to nudge the door open wider....

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:35 pm
by ghill
The difference between the inside and the outside of the apartment could not be more stark, the doorway opens into a short corridor leading to what Andy assumes is some kind of living room all in darkness, with only a meagre ray of sunlight shining through. The smell of dog shit and rot is quite nauseating.

Stepping inside Andy finds himself in a spacious and well presented living room (flat screen Sony TV, two couches, love seat, coffee table, work desk) now lies in chaos, every flat surface is hidden beneath page upon page of handwritten notes. At some point the author of these notes has obviously run out of paper as the notes have been continued on the wall first with a pen, then scratched into the plaster with a knife or something similar.

From his place just inside the doorway Andy can see an open doorway into what he thinks might be a bedroom and another short corridor directly opposite from him.
OOC:   Feel free to redact if Andy would rather not step in.  

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy coughs at the stench, "Something's not right here, this place looks like Westerlund has had another of his 'turns' there's writing, everywhere be careful not to read anything ..." he cautions the others, knowing that Liz and Jacob will know what he means and hoping that Alex will be cautious.

"Check the bedroom" he points to the doorway as he moves up the short corridor leading to what he assumes will lead to the kitchen and bathroom...

"Hello... Ms. Demanchi... Maria..." he calls out as he moves warily.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:39 pm
by royya
God Jacob exclaims, coughs and covers his mouth and nose with the sleeve of his suit. He whistles for the dog to come, hoping that if he will not show up running than a conclusion about the source of the putrid smell can be made.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:32 pm
by ghill
As Andy walks into the lounge proper he realises the kitchen is actually behind him. The large kitchen has obviously seen some recent heavy use; even in the low light Andy is immediately aware of black shapes scurrying in all directions as hundreds of cockroaches struggle to escape. Every work surface is covered in unwashed crockery, uneaten food heaves with maggots.
OOC:   If Andy wants to search he'll need a CONx5 to stop himself hurling.  
Picking his way through the piles of papers and other rubbish, Jacob approaches the bedroom giving a short whistling as he does so he hears a short and very soft whine coming from the bedroom. Pulling the curtains on the room sheds sunlight on the large bedroom. A king-size beds occupies the centre of the room but like the lounge it is hidden beneath a pile of papers the floor is covered with piles of unwashed linens and clothes. Tied to a desk in the corner of the room is a beagle, the dog lies in its own excrement clearly in poor health.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz holds her nose and braves the interior of the apartment. "Spewww..." she says when the odor hits her. She avoids looking at the writing, though it isn't easy with it everywhere. She follows Jacob when she hears the dog whimper. "Aww, poor little thing. Nobody's fed it. I'd start off with some water first before trying solid food. There's prolly a doggie dish in the kitchen, and I'm sure it needs a vet too."

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy will check to see if there's anything to aid them in their quest to find Maria, but he's not going to go searching through maggoty food.

Andy (Con 16 (x5 = 80)
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:52 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Andy's new nickname.... Captain Chunder :))  

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 am
by ghill
The sound of Andy being quite violently sick on the kitchen floor is disturbingly loud in the otherwise quite apartment.
OOC:   Spot Hidden from Andy. Although if he's not rooting through then its a difficult task  

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy gags as he steps into the kitchen, nauseated by the putrid smell from the rotting food. The scene disgusts him, makes him shudder, skin suddenly cold and prickly. He takes a few moments to fight down the nauseous feeling. His attention is drawn to a pile of crockery... covered in uneaten food that's now covered in the pale undulating shapes of maggots; there's a wet crunch as a cockroach fails to evade his foot as he steps forwards. Andy makes the mistake of looking down, the site of the cockroaches scrambling all over the floor coupled with maggots writhing on rotten food where it's dropped from the worktops... another wave of nausea hit's him... and with a shudder he bends forward. With a loud retching sound his protesting stomach expels his breakfast, vomit splatters on the floor.

Breathing shallowly, sour taste in his mouth Andy wipes his mouth and nose with a tissue, "S..sorry guys... it's really gross in here..." he says.

Then using the tissue to try and keep the disgusting, rotten remnants of food from his hand he pushes plates and bowls about, a search... of sorts.
Andy Spot Hidden:35,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 am
by ghill
Andy's half hearted effort doesn't reveal much, but the quantity of food and packaging makes it look as though Maria probably didn't leave her apartment/flat for at least a fortnight.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:07 pm
by ghill
OOC:   assuming Jacob, Liz and anyone else entering the appartment wished to search please roll spot hidden  

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:31 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Sorry I've been off line  
Clay entered last to make sure no one was following them. "What a mess, oh geez man. What the hell are you doing in there Andy? You could be screwing up the evidence."

Walking around the room, not looking too close at the writing, is it similar to what I saw Liz writing at the University before I pulled her away. Also, some artifacts kicked that off, look around for anything that might fit that category? If I find anything I'll cover it up.
spot hidden,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:48 pm
by ghill
As far as Clay can see it bears no resemblance to anything he saw in the lecture hall, and very much like the Albanian he's seen since he arrived in Albania. In fact Alex is looking at the wall with his head cocked over clearly reading. Its like how you say a brain dump. Here is like shopping list, here is a funny poem, here just ranting. he says.

Looking around the lounge Clay doesn't see anything obvious, he figures he's going to have to start moving the stacks of papers around to uncover anything interesting.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"If she's writing everything on her mind, there could be something important in there, but it would take yonks to sort through it all," says Liz. "Best to find her, help her, and then ask her directly." She begins a systematic search, moving papers aside but being careful not to touch anything gross with her bare hands, looking for the dog's dish or anything else of importance.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 am
by ghill
It takes Liz about half an hour (less if Jacob joins in) to systematically search the bedroom.

While doing so Liz and Jacob find a Cannon EOS 1000D fallen into a the waste paper at some time the camera has been hooked up to the printer or a laptop there are several hundred photos on the memory card, most of them taken over the course of several months show Demarchi’s everyday life. The last twenty coincide with Gosshamm’s arrival and are typical holiday snaps, (featuring Gosshamm) at the airport, sightseeing in the country.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm
by ghill
Greg comes from the back of the apartment "Its a bathroom and if I'm not mistaken someone tried to kill themselves back there. There is pile of pills in the bathroom sink, discarded bottles of local brand pain killers in the bin, there's a bloody handprint on the lavatory seat. Not enough blood to make me think they were successful unless they took a load of pills and went off somewhere else to die."

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:48 pm
by royya
Jacob opens the bedroom windows to let some fresh air in and the foul smell out but keeps the curtains to avoid being seen from the outside.
He helps Liz to search the room before going to the lavatory.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oooh, piccies," says Liz when she finds the camera and views the photos. When Greg returns, she looks up from her search. "Where could she have gone, then? Someone would have found her by now if she'd died outside. I hope she's still alive somewhere, but where?"

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 am
by royya
Maybe she was kidnapped?
That will explain the disorder, maybe a neighbour saw someone or heard a noise but was threatened to say nothing.

Jacob says as he continues to pick through the things on the floor and the drawers

Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:57 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Sorry about puking... but it's fucking disgusting back there...." he says, pointing back over his shoulder.

Taking in the revelation from Greg's look at the bathroom and seeing that Liz has found a camera.....

"Liz ... why don't you take some shots of the walls, try and get as much as you can... so we can look at the details later, I'm going to have another look in the kitchen... at the very least I'll get that poor mutt some food and water... and let's see if we can collect up the papers. I think we might need to go through them but we don't want to hang about here!"

"You might have a point Jacob... someone who was 'this far gone'" he waves his hand around indicating the state of the apartment "might not have been willing or even able to leave on their own."

Andy goes to step back into the kitchen... "Ohh... Alex, that bloke who came out... what did he say to you?"
Andy - Another attempt:,[dhdr]d22f48ec-a3b1-4e07-af25-a99f383a8929[/dhdr] another fail!

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:13 am
by ghill
Andy,finds dog bowls but no dog food, he notes most of the cupboards are empty of food.

He said he had not seen Maria for some time says Alex, he thought she drove off several days ago.
OOC:   Royya the room hasn't been tossed the mess is quite clearly accumulated over a period of time, like all the fast food boxes in the kitchen, the clothes in the bedroom are all dirty, and the papers on the floor are simply because piles of papers have become so tall they have toppled over. There is no evidence there was a struggle  

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:52 am
by BenTheRat
Clay continues to look around the room and will brave the kitchen. He puts a handkerchief over his mouth and nose to help with the smell.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz uses the camera to start taking pictures of the walls. In Albert's absence, she's the best photographer. "There's no sign of forced entry," says Liz, "and I doubt she would have interrupted what she was doing to open it for anyone. These pictures on the camera had been sent to either a printer or a computer at some point. If she's got a laptop here and we can find it, we could learn more."

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:03 pm
by BenTheRat
After hearing Liz, he switches his attention to searching for a laptop under all the papers.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:53 pm
by ghill
OOC:   BenTheRat a Spot Hidden roll please, this will simply indicate how long it takes you to find the laptop - easy 1hr, normal 30mins, special or better 15 mins.  
After a thorough search of the lounge area Clay discovers a laptop, it is a reasonably up to date machine, plugged into the wall, the weight of papers on the keyboard has kept the laptop from locking up but has created a document several 100's of GB in size made up of the letters QWA repeated over and over again which may well have locked the laptop up.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello computer," says Liz, with a grin when Clay uncovers the laptop. "Let me at it, and I'll see if I can get it sorted."

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:33 am
by ghill
OOC:   Computer Use from Liz please.  
When Liz moves the laptop she and Clay see a set of photographs underneath it.

Photo 1: Gosshamm and a woman (Alex confirms it is Demachi) posing on the bonnet of a Blue Volkswagon, they are outside of small cafe in a town square, apparently somewhere in Albania.
Photo 2: The side of a mountain taken from the roadside.
Photo 3: A very steep sided mountain valley.
Photo 4: Gosshamm on a very narrow trail winding through and over broken rock.
Photo 5 Gosshamm with thumbs up, at the mouth of what looks like a low narrow passage way obviously cut into the cliff face.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:22 pm
by BenTheRat
It took Clay a long time to find, but after covering it up several times, eventually uncovered it. "Oh crap here it is. Would have bit me had it been a snake."

"Those pictures, I'm guessing that is where we want to go." he adds.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz cracks her knuckles and sits down with the laptop. Before long, she disposes of the massive document and has the computer unlocked and working. "There we go," she says. "Now let's see what clues we can find." She searches Maria's recent emails and her schedule first for anything that might give a clue to her whereabouts or what triggered her episode, also keeping an eye out for the final draft of Gosshamm's thesis.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:36 am
by ghill
Liz discovers a document reference to the thesis but its to an external drive (a USB key drive she thinks) which isn't attached there is also another document which Alex translates as entitled photographic reference. After a moments consideration Liz realises this was probably the ultra large document she just disposed of to unlock the laptop this also seems to have referenced the same external drive.
OOC:   Can I haveSpot Hidden rolls from anyone in the lounge other than Liz, who is rather preoccupied.  
OOC:   Another Computer roll if Liz wants to try and recover the Photographic Reference file. NB Given time Liz will be able to recover this document, the dice roll will simply reflect how long it takes and ho complete the recovery.  

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:28 pm
by royya
Spot: 1d100 100 - Jacob looks through the window and is blinded from the sun for a moment. He feels dizzy and decides to go outside from the apartment and asks Alex to join his to help with translations. Jacob wants to pay a visit to one of the neighbours so he will knock on the door next to where they are. If there is no answer Jacob asks Alex to help him with he below apartment. surely someone heard something.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:53 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade
OOC:   Spot Hidden:
[dhdr]63ac4679-cde9-4a6c-9056-6496da18f4e6[/dhdr]  

Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:09 pm
by Papa Gateau

Albert dials Clay's number

What's up man? Am I missing a party? You've been up there a hella long time, everything cool?

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:18 am
by BenTheRat
Spot Hidden,[dice]0[/dice]
Clay looks around, but is quickly interrupted by his phone. "Hey there, Albert. Yea, it is a mess up here. And a lot to go through. We could use another pair of eyes if you want to join us."

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to find the external drive that was hooked up to the laptop," says Liz. "It's prolly a USB thumb drive, which makes it tiny and harder to find, though they don't have enough capacity to hold something as big as this file. I'm sure I can recover it. If you haven't found it by the time I'm done computering, I'll have a butcher's myself." She quickly and expertly recovers the document.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 am
by Papa Gateau

Albert get's the apartment number and from floor from Clay and heads up.

He hit's Maria's buzzer at the building entrance, waiting for one of the others to let him through and heads up to her apartment.

He glances at the chaos Holy shit man! Right, I can see why it's taking so long! Where shall I start, what we looking for? I take that stink isn't Maria's decomposing body?

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm
by ghill
The document is a description of photos, all Two hundred and forty three of them. The descriptions make for both interesting and disturbing reading it is quite clear that Maria Demachi was becoming increasingly irrational. As the document progresses it becomes more and more off topic including strange poetry, descriptions of familiar dreams (such as those after the events at Heathrow) and observations on the futility of life. The very last bit seems total gibberish.

A typical description

Photo no 32: The mural depicts a young man surrounded by intense light or fire from above. Wounds are seen along the back of his arms and legs his back and torso is heavily tattooed. He is surrounded by other people they are either bowed in prayer

Then using the marker function additional notes: it’s not prayer, its fear, they fear him, fear what he’s going to let through.

There are rugged rocks to the left and right and some indication of the sea to the rear of the young man It looks as though there is some kind of tomb behind the man’s right shoulder, is this symbolic?
The mural is painted in very vivid colours but there is clear indication of ageing due to atmospheric change.

The end of the
Make a Successful Idea roll,Clearly the photos she is describing are not those on the memory card in the camera, which would seem to indicate there is a second memory card.
Liz,Can I have an [b]Own Language[/b] skill check please. If you make it I'll need a [b]SAN[/b] check there is something horrifically familiar about the gibberish at the end. [b]SAN 0/D2[/b]

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"These aren't the pics on the camera," says Liz. "That means there must be another memory card here somewhere. It won't be easy to find, those things are tiny. We also need that external drive to get the final draft of Gosshamm's paper. That may have specifics about where she's gone." She glosses over the gibberish at the end completely; to her it doesn't bear any resemblance to English (or anything else) whatsoever.
OOC,Idea roll (75% stat) about the document: [dice]0[/dice] Own Language: English roll (60% base skill) reading the document: [dice]1[/dice] Well, that was a good roll to get a 100 on! ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 am
by ghill
OOC:   Not sure If you're waiting for me guys? Anyone who wishes to continue searching needs to tell me where they are searching and what for and then make a Spot Hidden Otherwise, whats next?  
Downstairs Jacob starts knocking on doors his efforts are largely fruitless, as it appears most of the residents are out at work. Its not until he reaches the ground floor that an old woman answers her door. Alex and the woman have a short conversation. "She says she has not seen the woman in the top floor apartment for over a week days."

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 am
by Papa Gateau

Albert starts' searching in the bedroom.
Roll,Spot Hidden[60] - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:56 am
by ghill
Unsuccessful Searches,If you make an unsuccessful search in the bedroom or the lounge I need an [b]Own Language[/b] skill check please. If you make it I'll need a [b]SAN[/b] check there is something horrifically familiar about the gibberish on the piece of paper your perusing. SAN 0/D2
Albert,The smell of dog shit is strongest from the bedroom. Someone has already searched room before Albert (Liz and Jacob), papers have been largely piled on one side of the room. After a 15 minutes of looking in all the most obvious hiding places, Albert still hasn't found anything of interest.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:14 am
by Papa Gateau

Albert rejoins the others in the front room

Couldn't find anything there - stayed as long as I could but the stink of dog shit almost had me heaving at the end.

Has anyone checked the kitchen - looked in the freezer? That's normally a place to hide stuff
he heads towards the kitchen, using the old nurses trick of breathing through his mouth to avoid smelling the stench.

Keeper,Spot Hidden[60] - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:29 am
by ghill
OOC:   If Albert wants to search the kitchen with any degree of thoroughness he'll need a CONx5 to stop himself hurling.  

Albert squeezes past a green looking Andy gingerly stepping over the pool of vomit on the floor and starts to search among the accumulated filth of the kitchen while trying not to breath in the stink of rotting food.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am
by Papa Gateau
Champion hurler?,CON x 5[65] - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 am
by ghill
Managing to keep his breakfast down Albert starts sifting through the collected debris.
OOC:   Spot Hidden please.  

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know what this gibberish is at the end of the file," says Liz. "It doesn't look like anything at all. Maybe it's encrypted." She searches the lounge carefully for the external drive and second memory card.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) searching the lounge: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am
by ghill
Albert is in full swing searching the Kitchen as Liz finally stands up from where she's been kneeling to look under a sofa and decides she can see no sign of either the drive or the memory card.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am
by Papa Gateau
I spy with my little eye,Spot Hidden[60] - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 am
by ghill
Albert pulls out an oil soaked couriers delivery note and a equally soiled padded envelope from the bin. The delivery note is marked From Adrian Gossham contents One manuscript value £0, one data card camera, the time date seem to correspond to a similar dispatch reciept Liz and Jacob saw in the proffs office in Brichester U.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think we need to agree more of a plan on how to proceed; as I see it we have two or three options to follow (or variations thereof)....

Keep on as we are... making random searches for titbits of information (which we're doing OK on so far, I think) - or take the papers, camera etc etc away with us or try and clear the apartment up, use it as a kind of 'base' till we find Maria.

So.. we have information.. as usual it's the interpretation of it that we need help with. Maria appears to be incapacitated... probably a bit 'SAN deficient' and probably hurt (self inflicted?) We need to work out if Maria left voluntarily or not, Alex ought to be an asset in getting hold of the local hospitals etc. to see if she's been/being treated there.

Maria may be able to help us... assuming she's a) alive b) coherent

Any other ideas?  

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:39 pm
by royya
Jacob nods to the old woman and smiles
Alex please ask the nice lady if she saw anyone visiting Maria, if anyone suspicious arrived to the building and if so, was he covered with tattoos ? Can she recognize Maria's car outside and if the last time she saw MAria, Maria seems agitated and nervous ?

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've got to find the external drive, and the memory card," says Liz. "They have to be around here somewhere, but they're not in the lounge. I'll check the bedroom next. That's where I found the camera." She heads into the bedroom, searching obsessively for the drive and the card.
OOC,I think we need to find the thesis (on the external drive) and preferably the memory card before we leave. The thesis will take some time to study, and it may have some vital clues that weren't in the previous drafts. I don't know this in character yet, but I think that gibberish at the end of the reference file is related to the protolanguage and is what set [b]Maria[/b] off and caused her to write everything she knew. Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) searching the bedroom: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:55 am
by ghill
Liz turns over the bedroom for the third time and finds nothing on interrest.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy looks on as Albert delves into the bin, his stomach heaves and threatens to make him vomit again as Albert comes back with a padded envelope and papers. He gives a 'thumbs up' as Albert cheerily waved his find about, feeling very 'green about the gills'.

"That's totally disgusting!" he says "But it does prove that Gossham's package arrived." he says after gingerly inspecting the envelope and receipt.

"We need to find Maria he adds..." hoping to get into some 'fresh air'.

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"She got the package," says Liz, "but where are the contents? I've already checked the lounge and the bedroom, and they're not there. You chaps searched the kitchen. Where else is left? Could she have them on her person? But how the bloody hell are we supposed to find her? We've still got her laptop. Let me take a look through her emails."

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:54 am
by ghill
royya wrote:Jacob nods to the old woman and smiles
Alex please ask the nice lady if she saw anyone visiting Maria, if anyone suspicious arrived to the building and if so, was he covered with tattoos ? Can she recognize Maria's car outside and if the last time she saw MAria, Maria seems agitated and nervous ?
Alex looks at Jacob a bit strangely as his description of possible visitors, but asks the woman anyway. The woman clearly gives her response some thought saying something to Alex then thinking about her answer and adding more.

"Nope no visitors, last visitor she had was the big bearded foreigner about a month or so ago. After which she didn't see much of her at all. She says that she hasn't seen Maria's car for several days maybe a week, her car is a small Blue car, she thinks a VW, by the description of the badge. I think I remember seeing Maria drive a Polo or a Golf. The last time she saw her she looked as though she was travelling somewhere" Alex pauses while the woman says something else then clearly mimics someone slinging a pack over one shoulder. "She says she looked as though she was dressed for camping trip, she had a rucksack" He pauses again while the woman continues then .."and I think climbing gear, certainly a rope"

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz returns to the laptop and starts looking through Maria's emails, starting with the most recent ones she sent and any she received before and after she sent her last one.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:33 pm
by royya
OOC:   big bearded foreigner fits the descition of Gossham ? I guess that the others are reading because Jacob will tell them everything later...  
Jacob nods to the woman and add
Alex, please ask the woman if Maria live alone or she had a spouse ... state before her that she left her dog to the mercy of nature. Anyone came inside her apartment to care the dog when she was away ? From past talks with Maria, did she said where she likes to travel or said where she was going ?

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 pm
by ghill
Alex turns to Jacob, I do not think these two are friends, she already said she think Maria a bad woman because she don't have a husband, and complain about dog barking and you know doing its toilet outside. This one she is just a very nosey old woman
OOC:   Also yes the description of a large (fat) bearded man would certainly match Gossham  

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:18 am
by royya
Jacob thanks the woman with a nod and goes outside to see if he can find Maria's blue VW, just to be sure she did left with her own car and was not kidnapped by anyone.
Once he finds the car outside or not, he will go back inside the building, He will check Maria's mailbox before going up to fill the others with the details.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 am
by ghill
Jacob finds an allocated parking space for Maria's apartment, infact Albert has parked the hire car in it, there is no Blue Volkswagen visible.
OOC:   As per my previous post there is a bank of locked letter boxes in the main entrance lobby, but they are sturdy metal affairs which will need some effort to open (and possibly tools which you don't have on hand - although a tyre iron might be adequate.) Maria's seems to be filled with several days worth of junk mail.  

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:21 pm
by royya
Jacob tries to look through the opening of the mailbox and pull some with my fingers, if he fails he will leave it and go back to the others

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:34 pm
by ghill
Jacob pulls out a number of leaflets for for fast food and the like, if there is anything interesting in the mailbox its buried under junk mail

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:35 pm
by Papa Gateau

Albert barely holding onto the contents of his stomach paces to the window and draws a couple of deep breaths.

We've got her laptop, let's get out of here so that Liz can do her techno-wizardy with it.

Alex, you said you arranged accommodation for the professor over the last 8 years. Did he have a favourite apartment or place that he stayed at? Could we maybe take a swing by there and just make sure Maria is not holed there or left a note for him there?

Also you said you drove him around, took him to places to take photographs and occasionally to dig sites with Maria. Can you remember the last few places you took him to - particularly to take photographs and even better places that might need a rope to get to?
Anything you can remember could be important.

Albert bends down and rubs the emaciated dog behind the ear and says quietly All right fella, we'll get you sorted out, try and find your mum

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 pm
by ghill
There isn't really much on the laptop for Liz to do her computer wizardry on, there isn't a mail client, there is a wireless card but its disabled, pretty much everything piece of software but MS office has been removed from the laptop. Its very similar to a box Liz built for a friend not to recently who wanted to write a novel and didn't want to be wanted distracted by social media or anything else

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:08 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Alex is currently with Jacob. However, rather than delay we can assume Alex tells Albert the following at some point.  
Alex shrugs Il professori didn't have a favourite apartment, he demanded little and wasn't afraid to rough it if matters demanded it. They drove around a lot in the North of the country although on the occasions they went to dig sites with Maria they were all over the country. Il professori however seemed most interested in the north of the country. He always took lots of photos wherever he went every time he stop pap, pap, pap Alex mimes taking photos. We walk a lot in the mountains, but he never climb anywhere.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is just a bare bones system," says Liz. "No email or anything. I've done all I can with it, at least without the external drive." When Alex returns and speaks to Albert, Liz shows him the photographs she recovered. "You've been to the dig sites, right? Could you identify which one these pictures were taken at? That's where I think she's gone. It must be one of the ones in the mountains, to the north."

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:00 pm
by ghill
Alex holds up one of the photos squinting "This one looks familiar but my eyes not so good, anybody have glass or maybe we can make picture bigger?"
OOC:   Spot Hidden if you want to try the naked eye, otherwise a Photography skill to blow the picture up without making it a blurry mess (whether using a computer or photographic equipment to do the job)  

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz looks around for a glass or something similar, finding what she needs quickly.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) searching for a glass: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 pm
by ghill
When Liz hands Alex an empty glass he looks at her blankly for a moment, then smiles. "No, no drinking glass, you know, looking glass" he mimics holding up and peering through a magnifying glass. "See here is road sign what does it say" Alex hands the photo of Gosshamm and Demachi posing on the bonnet of a Blue Volkswagon, parked up in a town square over to Liz. Straining somewhat Liz's young eyes can just about make out the road sign Alex is talking about, which indicates somewhere called Bajram Curri is only a few miles away.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:17 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy braves the kitchen once more and gets some water for the poor mutt.

"That's quick thinking!" Andy says seeing the drinking glass being used to magnify the picture. "What can you tell us about that village? Can you remember what the Professor's did there?" he asks Alex hoping that this could be a 'break in the case'.... they definitely needed one!

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:48 pm
by ghill
Bajram Curri is in the North of the country, it is on the border with Kosova, it is remote, very mountainous. Il Professorri We have been there several times as a base of operations while Il professori travelled around. It has not always been the safest place during war it was a wild lawless place. Like the Wild West, no government, just Mafia and militia. The hills near the border are dangerous lots of bombs which did not go off.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to have to go there," says Liz. "That must be where Maria went. We'll need protection, though. Are you armed, or can you get weapons? A mine detector would be helpful too, and climbing gear of our own."

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 pm
by ghill
Alex looks at Liz. "These things are not problem, but today only, I help you. I tell you yesterday I have meeting and work starts for my new employer in a few days. There are preparations I must make arrangements, much work. If I do not do this I lose a lot of money."

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fair enough," says Liz. "We need to find her as soon as possible anyhow. If she went there by herself, especially in her current state, she's in terrible danger!"

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 am
by Papa Gateau

Ok Alex, we understand and we appreciate all your help so far.

Let's get out of here, get what we need and go find Maria

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy, with Alex's aid, will try and get the neighbour to look after the dog - leaving cash for its well-being.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:32 pm
by ghill
Alex shrugs "OK, as you like. I would like to help, but work is work you know."
OOC:   Psychology rolls please.  
Dog,The woman Jacob spoke to earlier initially says she wont until Andy shoves a wadge of Zlotty into her hand at which point she becomes perfectly amenable to the idea.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:57 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade
Psychology:25,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:05 pm
by ghill
Andy,[b]Andy[/b] gets the distinct impression [b]Alex[/b] is simply setting out his stall and would probably happily drop his current employer if he was assured he'd get paid.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:51 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy takes the others aside and let's them know that they ought to 'engage Alex's services'; he's pretty confident that Alex would be their guide and interpretor for the duration - as long as he was paid. Furthermore Andy suggests that either Jacob or Liz make him an offer, as they were the original points of contact.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Jacob should take the lead," says Liz. "He's better at this sort of thing than I am. But I'll be there to back him up."
OOC,Psychology roll (35% skill) about [b]Alex[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:52 pm
by royya
My dear Alex. If not for Maria, how much it will cost us to secure your help for several days more?
Jacob asks with a smile

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll be happy to compensate you for what you'd lose by not taking the other job for as long as it takes to find her," adds Liz, also smiling. "We'd be lost doing it on our own. We need someone who speaks Albanian and is familiar with the territory."

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:10 pm
by ghill
"As it is for il professore and Miss Demachi I ask only what I ask of the professore one hundred fifty American dollars or same amount in Euro or British Pounds a day. I can provide another car and a driver, I can source other equipment" Alex looks pointedly at Liz when he says this "but this will be easier and cheaper to get in the North"

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 pm
by BenTheRat
While the others were scavenging the rooms for the drive, Clay stopped and was checking where she might hide it. Up in an air vent, back or inside the toilet, etc.. He searches for anything that looks messed with recently. Paint chipped off, etc...

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:26 pm
by ghill
Clay spends a fruitless half hour pulling apart possible hiding places but apart from some private correspondence (love letters) he finds nothing of interest.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Liz. "You know best. Should we put together a list of what we'd like?"

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 am
by ghill
Alex shrugs. Is not like shop, will be more like a market, you go and see what they have on the day.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"That suits me fine," says Liz.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 pm
by ghill
It is the way of things says Alex. "It is probably better to start early tomorrow, do we need another vehicle, A four wheel drive is a must in the north. I have another driver he is very good" he adds almost as an afterthought.
OOC:   OOC: Guys when you are all finished we can head over toHeading North  

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Liz. "We'll also need food, water, and camping supplies. And we should bring the laptop and camera with us. Maria may have the external drive and extra memory card."

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:34 pm
by ghill
Alex nods "Naturally, I will provide everything we will need for a trip North, although I do not believe we will not need to camp unless that is your preference. Places to stay are cheap, all I ask is some money to buy fresh food for the trip, I pride myself in thinking I am a good camp cook. Everything else I provide."

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 pm
by royya
Jacob will take his Tefillin. his small copy of the book of Psalms and some comfortable cloth for the mountains.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll bring my own laptop and camera too," says Liz. "Is there Internet access where we're going?"

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:03 am
by ghill
OOC:   If Andy, Clay, Albert have no other actions they want to take either in the flat or in preparation for departure I'm moving things along to the departure. Happy to retroactively add stuff if necessary.  
Go now to Heading North