CH3-01 Albania

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH3-01 Albania

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Getting there
By Plane
Tirana International Airport (also known as Mother Teresa airport) is located 25 km north-west of Tirana. However, Al Italia, Austrian, British Airways, Lufthansa, Olympic (Greece), KLM (Holland) as well as the flag carriers of Hungary, Turkey, Bulgaria and Serbia all have flights to Albania. Taxis can take you to and from the airport. An hourly bus service (6am-6pm) runs between the Airport and the centre of Tirana.
By Car
It is possible to drive into Albania from Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia or Greece. You will need all the proper documentation, insurance and possibly a visa though regulations have become more relaxed.
By Bus
Bus services link Tirana to Tetovo (Macedonia), Prishtina (Kosovo), Athens (Greece), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Istanbul (Turkey). Prishtina, is 10 hours away, Sofia 17, the coaches vary in quality, but are generally OK.
By Boat
Those who prefer to travel by sea will find regular ferry crossings link Italy and the Greek island of Corfu with Albania, these ferries travel to and from Durrës, Vlora, Shen Gjini on a daily basis. In addition there are daily hydrofoils between Corfu and Saranda in Albania.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Re: CH3-01 Albania

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Unless there are strenuous objections I'm going to narrate the journey to Albania rather than RP it, but I would like to know your preferred method of getting there.  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   Albert has created new id's and credit cards so we should be able to fly there quite easily  
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   I'd opt for flying direct, or flying to Italy and getting a ferry over.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   agree, either fly there, or fly and ferry.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The Ryan Air flight to Bari on the Italy's West coast takes just under three hours, Albert's credit cards and passports hold up without issue, the ferry and ferry terminal at Bari are both more modern than you might hope, but its the chaotic and dirty, in typical Italian fashion acquiring tickets is convoluted and misleading and overly complicated. Eventually however you find yourself on the ferry Aurelia. The boat sales overnight and morning sees you arriving at the port of Durres, which in the morning sunlight seems a pleasant Adriatic town

So whats the plan appart from getting touch with this Demachi woman? says Greg
OOC:   CASH, immediate travel costs aside, both Albert and Greg point out that drawing or paying for items with credit cards abroad is risky and can result in the cards being blocked (I speak from bitter experience) The easiest thing might be to draw the maximum amount of cash using the cards however this involves risk as well as drawing large quantities of cash may also be flagged as unusual and thus resulting in the cards being blocked.

Albert and Greg suggest the best way to draw cash on the cards would be to draw the maximum amount of cash at 10 to Midnight and then as soon as the new day starts to repeat the process this would give you a working lump of cash of roughly £5000, you can try for more, but risk losing one or more cards.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should look up that fixer," says Liz. "I'd wager he knows how to get in touch with her, and he may have other useful info as well. He could possibly set us up with weapons, for the right price. Albania has no shortage of them, I'm sure."
OOC,I agree with flying to Italy and taking the ferry. A direct flight could set off red flags to anyone watching. Since I haven't used my Chloe O'Brian identity yet (I went to Malta as myself), I'll be going as her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   If you ring him what are you going to tell him?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,We could tell him that we're trying to help complete [b]Professor Gosshamm[/b]'s research, or we could continue with the TV cover.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Jacob agrees to whatever the others suggest.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Things to consider:

We should be as 'up front' as possible... let him know that Gossham is dead (murdered) and we have his research and need to find Demanchi (sp?) - We can elaborate later (the investigation, etc.) I don't think we should keep up with the 'tv crew' angle - we'd be expected to get permits (or ask about them). We ought to try and keep things as simple as possible... With that in mind we should also have in mind some 'goals' that we want to achieve....

1) Get help from the fixer
2) Find Demanchi
3) .... Get more info about Gosshams research/findings in Albania and .... 'defeat the Verbetoi'?  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg appears with a prepaid phone into which he slots s sim.

Whose ringing him then?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not me," says Liz. "I'm much better talking to computers than to actual human beings."
OOC,I agree, that sounds like a good approach.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I will, I know how to talk to people.
Jacob says
What's the plan?
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Thanks for volunteering Jacob" Andy says.

"OK, this is what I think we ought to do. Jacob calls Alex Avlonyali and explains that Gossham has been killed and that he now has the late Professors work and would like see it completed and also try and warn Maria Demachi that she may be in danger - it's probable that he knows her - if not we know where Gossham sent the manuscript and memory card... so we can track her down starting there." Andy pauses... "Sorry, getting ahead of myself there... Jacob I don't think you need to go into to many details and try not to let on that there's a 'gang' of us... only mention yourself and your assistant 'Chloe', that way if things look 'dodgy' we might retain 'the upper hand'. Keep it simple... you were an acquaintance of Gossham and being a scholar yourself; you want to continue the work and would like to engage Avlonyali's help or at the very least meet to ask some questions. It probably won't hurt to drop Maria Demachi's name... even that you've tried to contact here..... Does that make sense?" he asks everyone.
OOC:   We're going to need some more prep and planning... I hope Greg got a few more handsets and spare sim cards.
I'd suggest that we kind of split up into 3 groups... Liz and Jacob... Albert and Greg ... Andy and Clay - if we book into a hotel then it's 2 single rooms for the first pairing - and then each other group tries to get a 'twin room' on the same floor... in any case - everyone will bunk down in the twin rooms in case of unwelcome visitors.

A meeting with Avlonyali could be handled as per a spy movie.... Liz and Jacob in the hotel lobby, one other pair in there also with the other pair on 'overwatch' outside - would be easier to manage if we knew what Avlonyali looked like.

I'm not suggesting we split up the party... just that we operate as 3 pairings till we get a better feel of things.

Anyone else?  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I haven't but I reckon I know the type of store to look into let me pop into a couple more and I'll get hold of a load. says Greg getting up from his seat and hurrying off down the street.

When Jacob rings the number for Alex Avlonyali the phone is pretty answered imediatly and a male voice says Yassas
OOC:   Royya remember, if you role play the conversation you may get bonuses to any persuade rolls or may negate the need for persuade rolls altogether. However, say the wrong thing and I wont care what you've rolled. If your worried about role playing it, that then just give me a rough idea of what Jacob is going to say and let the die fall where they will.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me, Andy," Liz says. "I can be Jacob's research assistant. I'm sort of a scholar-in-training myself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Am I speaking to Alex Avlonyali ?
Jacob replies and waits for a positive answer.
Jacob interduce himself plainly and tell Alex that he is sorry to notify him but Professor Gossham was killed. Me and my assistant wants to see the professor's last work published as a apaper to honor his memory and we are working to complete the research. We currently arrived to Albania to continue the research and would be happy to meet him in person. Professor Gossham also mentioned a woman named Maria Demachi but we failed to contact her, we would be happy for any assistance.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The man at the other end of the phone quickly switches to reasonable English, and says yes he is Alex Avlonyali He seems genuinely upset that Professor Gossham is dead says he knows Maria Demarchi and would be happy to help as he considered Professor Gossham a friend. He offers to drive down this evening to meet you so he can discuss exactly what help he can give you.
OOC:   Consider phones and rooms acquired in a reasonable waterfront hotel. If you want to meet Alex Avlonyali in person you need to tell him where and when.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   So... assuming we have a few hours to get prepared. The 'smart' thing to do is to arrange to meet at a different hotel... but we probably wouldn't have had time to sort that.

Jacob and Liz will set up in the lobby, grab a table and order 'tea and cakes' - I reckon they ought to do this 30 minutes before the agreed time.

We need to agree who will be covering the lobby and they need to be in position before this time - the 'outside team' can do 'sweeps' of the lobby before this just to get a feel of the place - Looking out for others hanging about etc.

The 'outside team need to be in a position to be looking for anyone else arriving as or after the meeting starts. Signalling that anything was suspicions by using the 'burner phones'.

We also ought to have an escape route planned... the 4 inside making their way out via a fire escape, to a hire car (which we'd need to get). The 2 outside hanging about for a few mins to see what happens then all heading to an agreed point.

Anything else?  

Return to “Watch the World Burn”