Page 1 of 1

CH2-09 Malta - everyone together.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am
by ghill
A phone call, a ferry crossing and a car journey later, sees the group all together in the otherwise empty communal kitchen of the "Corner Hostel" in Valetta. Greg has secured a twin room for Liz and two four bed rooms for everyone else.

Greg looks tired after a day spent traipsing around Valetta. "I hope you guys have had a more productive day than I did. I reckon if I hadn't been standing at the desk when the cancellation came in, we'd be sleeping on the beach"
OOC:   Greg has created a personal first aid kit which you can wear over your shoulder or clip onto a belt. It allows you to use first aid properly on an injury ie success = D3 hits back, rather than 1pt to stop bleeding.  

Re: CH2-9 Malta - everyone together.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, we found out some interesting things, and Albert got a lot of great pictures," says Liz. She fills Greg in on their day. "It might be worth checking out Gunderson's villa. I'll see if I can find its address online given what I was told about it."

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:32 am
by Papa Gateau
Albert opens up his laptop and starts transferring images from his memory cards to it.

Ok, we can just quickly browse through these as a slideshow and I can mark the ones that are of interest and we can study them in more detail after.

That's a good idea Liz, see what you can dig up on that villa.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 am
by BenTheRat
Clay sits down and gets some lunch. He keeps one eye on the slide show, but the other on the people around to make sure no one was watching us.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz powers up her laptop and goes online to search for the location of Gunderson's villa. "Let me know when the slideshow's ready," she says. "I don't want to miss that."

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:51 am
by ghill
Greg looks at the the photos and points out the similarity between the old man's tattoo and the carved horse, but is unable to draw any other conclusions from the images. The only other people using the kitchen/dining room are the occasional back packer none of whom arouse Clay's suspicion.
Liz,Computer and Library use please
OOC:   Looking at the photos without some kind of Archaeological knowledge is no better than looking at the ruins its not going to tell you anything.  

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz gains access to the sites where the information she needs is stored and tracks it down with her usual expertise.
OOC,I mixed my Library Use score up with my Listen one, but I still succeeded.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm
by ghill
Hacking into the Malta Land registry, Liz is able to pull up the address for the Professor Westerlund. Its a villa on the coast on the other side of Valetta.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Tada!" says Liz, showing the others the address. "Just call me Lisbeth Salander."
OOC,Whoops, not sure where I got "Gunderson"!

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:07 pm
by BenTheRat
"Great job Liz," Clay says. "We should hit it right after lunch. But lets be prepared. I'd like at least a couple fire extinguishers before we go in."

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Liz, grinning. "Yeah, we definitely need those extinguishers. We should also case the joint during the day before actually trying to go in, make sure nobody's living there. And if there is someone there, we can just knock on the front door and talk. Prolly the prof is back in the UK, though, in which case we could still talk to him after we return when we're done on Malta."

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:52 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"I agree, we ought to keep a lookout on the place before we move in. A couple of us ought to drive past a couple of times to find a good vantage point. We better add a pair of binoculars to the shopping list too." Andy adds before taking the last bite of his sandwich.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 am
by ghill
A camping store quickly provides a couple of hand held CO2 fire extinguishers as well as a compact pair of binoculars.

The profs house is in the village of Zebug just a few minutes drive outside of Valetta (actually almost a the outskirt of Valetta.) Its not really a villa more an old looking town house (old but well cared for) which estate agents would probably describe as having 'bags of Character'.

A drive by, conducted by whoever goes to buy the extinguishers indicates little as the shuttered windows might indicate the professor has returned to the UK, or like everyone else they are closed to keep out the heat.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fireproof clothing would be nice too," suggests Liz. "I'd rather not be engulfed in flames again without it. I'd rather not be engulfed in flames again at all, in fact," she adds with a shudder. "While we're staking out the house, I can scan to see if the prof has a wireless network and try to connect to it. And I think I should carry one of those extinguishers. I'm pretty good with them. Killed two of those fire things. One more and I'll be an ace, right?"

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   What's the location like? Is the villa isolated or not? vantage points? Ideally we'd need 'eyes' on the front and back... maybe a 'close pass' on foot to get an idea of possible entry points and an idea of any secuurity.. plus signs of habitation etc.  

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 am
by ghill
OOC:   Its not really a villa, its a town house, probably a converted business a mill or bakery perhaps. The house is located on the corner of two back streets which are active, but not overly busy. These narrow Maltese back streets have no pavements (side walks), no obvious place to discreetly park a car, or stand around surreptitiously. The property is surrounded and abutting to other residential properties. There doesn't seem to be access via the back, except through another property. Security wise there doesn't seem to be anything above and beyond what you'd expect of a normal Maltese home (wooden door solid Yale type lock, shuttered windows)

I should add that the house isn't unusually secure, there are hundreds of houses like it, about the only thing which sets it apart from the others near by is it has been recently decorated.  

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay speaks up, "I'm going up to knock on the door. Give me one of the those fire extenguishers. and drop me off. Lets see if anyone is home."

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good," says Liz. "With those recent decorations, maybe someone is home, even if it's not Westerlund. I'll go along for the ride and scan for wifi."

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 am
by BenTheRat
After they drop Clay off, he straightens up his hair and clothes and walks up to the front door with the fire extinguisher and knocks on the door.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:05 pm
by ghill
Clay raps smartly on the door and then after waiting a reasonable time does so again there is no answer. To Clay's ear the knock sounds hollow, an empty house perhaps? Looking and calling through the letter box, the house certainly sounds empty and feels empty. Trying the door he realises it is unlocked.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay steps inside and looks around. "Hello, anyone home." he announces the door still slightly ajar. He takes a few steps in and looks around.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am
by ghill
Clay's voice echos through the hallway, the house is cool and dark and looks very old its all bare stonework vaulted arches, wooden beams. The furniture looks very nice, but to Clay's practised eyes it looks old. The sort of house which belongs to a person with taste but not much money, but if the old Bang & Olufsen‎ record player is anything to go by saves up and buys the best stuff.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay taps his blue tooth to call Liz, "looks like the place is empty but the door was unlocked. Somethings wrong here, you don't leave a place like this unlocked. Get the rest of the guys and join me." Clay starts doing a room by room search for anything out of the ordinary. He is expecting to see a body at any minute.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy takes one of the extinguishers, he shudders at the memory of being engulfed in flame but straightens up and marches along the narrow road to house. Taking a look up and down the road he opens the door and enters. Standing in the hallway he listens for Clay.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz relays Clay's message to the others. "On our way," she replies to him. She enters with Andy, taking an extinguisher of her own if there's one left. "Just point me at the computer, if there is one," she says.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 am
by royya
Jacob walks to the house nervously, their last attempts searching inside a house ended with a combat with a zombie elder woman, captive children and raging magical fire and a gunfire.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:45 am
by ghill
The house is quite lovely, and refreshingly cool in the summer heat.

Clays initial search doesn't find a body, but he does find a suspiciously loose air vent. with what looks like a bag strap hanging out of it.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16 am
by Papa Gateau
Albert steps quickly through into the property and closes the door behind him.

I'll take a look upstairs

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am
by ghill
Albert finds Clay standing in an upstairs bedroom looking at a vent of some kind, the vent is slightly ajar and Albert can see a black bag strap poking through.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm
by Papa Gateau
Hey Clay what you got there fella? Anything interesting? Albert moves over to the vent and peers in, looking for any obvious booby-trap

What do you reckon, someone tried to hide this in a hurry or is going to go boom when we move it?
ghill,Spot hidden[60]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:51 pm
by ghill
Albert has to remove the vent cover to see properly which he does with no small amount of caution. Behind the vent cover he can see what looks to be a nylon sports bag jammed into the confined space.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:33 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert tentatively takes the bag down and passes it to Clay and then continues to search the space now vacated by the bag.
Spot hidden,Spot hidden[60]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:12 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay takes the bag and lays it on a table. without looking into it, he opens the bag, then if it doesn't go bang, he will look in.
Albert,try putting some glasses on. ;)

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz slides the front door shut behind them with her foot, careful not to touch anything and leave messy fingerprints here. "Should we look around down here?" she asks. "Or do you guys want to go upstairs with the others? I don't know about splitting up. I have a bad feeling about this."

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am
by royya
let's search the first floor. Albert and Clay went up
Jacob says to Liz.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 pm
by ghill
Upstairs: Albert spends a futile few minutes reaching for what he is sure must be another bag before realising it was the shadow cast by his camera strap.

Clay opens the bag to reveal a number of carefully wrapped objects, unwrapping a couple Clay finds what look like a variety of archaeological artefacts.

Downstairs: Liz, Jacob and Andy find a house which looks like its been carefully closed down (electricity and water turned off except for the pool which seems to be running on a separate circuit, some of the more expensive furniture covered with dust sheets. The professor clearly expected to be gone from the house for some time. Liz finds a desk space set up like a home office, but everything seems to have been removed, there is a natural desk space for a laptop which is not present.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay wraps back up what he took out and puts them back in the bag. "Looks like old archeology crap, we can go through it later. Surprised no one else found them, but it doesn't look like anyone else has searched the place, which makes me wonder when they will show up." Clay slings the bag on his shoulder and continues to search the place, paying a bit more attention to any air vents.
He also looks for a safe in case there is one, obvious or hidden like behind a painting.
Clay taps on his blue tooth, "phone check Liz, last time they used a cell jammer. If it appears that way again, it might give us the notice we need to get away easier. Lets keep the line open."

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Roger that," replies Liz over the bluetooth. "No computer down here. There's space for a laptop on the desk, but it looks like he took it with him. Any luck on your end?"

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:42 am
by BenTheRat
"I think so, but we won't know till we find a place to take a good look at it. Someone stuffed some old archaeology pieces in an air vent. I got them with me. I was trying to see if he had a safe, not finding one up here." Clay replies.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am
by ghill
A thorough search of the house doesn't turn up anything interesting although Jacob finds what looks to be a receipt for papers taken away as evidence.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:05 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Being a little concerned that the place hadn't been locked up Andy moves to the front of the house and tries to get a view of the street, one that affords him a view but would in turn hide him from anyone outside.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm
by ghill
Looking outside onto the street doesn't arouse Andy's suspicion in anyway, its midday and the street is fairly quiet.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm
by BenTheRat
"I think we got everything we are going to get here," Clay says. "Why don't we go to a hotel room or something to look through this stuff?"

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, I think we're done here too," says Liz. "Hopefully we'll be able to learn something without showing them to an actual archaelogist. We can't bring them to any of the ones in Malta because they're all too likely to recognise them. Even if we can smuggle them out somehow, we can't show them to Westerlund either unless we go the blackmail route. Maybe Maria Dimachi in Albania would know their significance, and we can show her the pics of those sites too - assuming we can trust her and she's still alive when we get there. We may need to just take pictures of the artifacts and then put them right back where we found them."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 am
by BenTheRat
"These were really easy to find. They look almost planted?? I'm thinking pictures and return them anonymously to the authorities." Clay thinks for a minute, "I'm thinking frame job."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think you're right," says Liz. "Is there any evidence someone else has been here recently? I mean, the door was unlocked, which is suspicious itself. Whether Westerlund left it that way or not, anyone could have come in and stuffed that bag in the vent."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:43 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"If we're all done then we should get out of here..... it looks like it's all clear out front. Andy says to encourage everyone to get moving. Time to discuss the whys and wherefores once they are safely away from the 'scene of the crime'.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 am
by ghill
Clay, Andy and Liz walk out onto the street where they squeeze into the car driven by Greg. Leaving Albert and Jacob to walk out and around to a nearby parking lot to where they pick up the other car.
OOC:   What is happening to the bag? Is it coming with you or going back into the vent where it was found? Albert can take photos of the items either back in your rooms or at the villa - no roll required it takes him about 10 minutes. Albert/Jacob feel free to take any actions before you leave otherwise lets assume we all meet back at the hostel/hotel  

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:53 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay gets into the car still holding the bag, hoping there is some clue that will help in this nightmare. "Let's get out of here."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:02 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Let's not go back to the hostel right away; we need to start being more cautions. Our enemies have shown some sophistication as well as brutality, they jammed the mobile-phone reception, remember. If the bag was a plant... who's to say it was meant for the police to find... we ought to find a car-park and check the contents."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:04 pm
by ghill
"well..." says Greg "we could swing back via the airport and stop in the short stay car park, that looked pretty busy or I could just keep cruising around while you guys take a look."

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:39 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert gets in to the car and pulls up about 50 yards behind the other car. When they start to move off, he follows them, keeping his distance.

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's drive around for a bit, and we can see if we can detect anyone following us while we're at it," suggests Liz as she squeezes into the car. "Well, at least I don't take up much room. I'm so tiny."

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 am
by BenTheRat
Clay opens the bag and carefully unwraps each piece to look at them, trying to see if he can see a connection between what we have seen before and these pieces.

If they are not too fragile he will pass them around.
random roll,for whatever you think I need to roll for, here it is. [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:07 pm
by royya
Let me see, maybe they are similar to what I found in the crates back home.
Jacob says and takes a look if there any resemblance to the fragments he saw

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy actively checks to see if there's anyone following...
A % roll,Just in case [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:00 pm
by ghill
Clay pulls out a pair of quite large stone figurines, a clay cross or very stylised bird, a Female figurine in ivory, a small copper or brass bowl. None of them seem connected nor do they seem to bear any connection to any Verbti imagery/iconography. Nor do they seem to bear any connection to each other.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 pm
by BenTheRat
"This is all really strange. Hey Liz, is there a list of things the doctor supposedly try to steal?" Clay looks cofused.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:30 pm
by ghill
OOC:   There isn't, "apart from fragments", which were described in terms of being the Maltese equivalent of flint arrowheads - i.e. of no real archaeological value.  

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"What he was supposed to have taken was described as 'fragments,'" says Liz, shaking her head. "Arrowheads, potsherds, and the like, I suppose. Nothing like this. This smells like a setup, all right. If it is the Verbetoi who framed Westerlund, they'll likely up the ante if this doesn't work, and he could be in danger. We'll need to warn him when we return to Blighty."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:40 am
by BenTheRat
"I suggest we photograph everything just in case, drop it somewhere safe and make an anonymous tip that we found this stuff." Clay starts putting the stuff back in the bag. "We need to do it quick, I don't want to get caught with this either."

Clay stops for a second and takes a closer look, "Could it be the professor's you think? Is this even artifacts?? They don't look like the fragments and such we saw before. Maybe they are some sort of puzzle? Or clue? It just makes no sense? Maybe we should contact the professor?" He muses, you can tell all this thinking is making his head hurt as he rubs his temples.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz nods in agreement. "I think Andy should be the one to make the initial approach," she says. "He can use the fact that he's a reporter."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 am
by Papa Gateau
You're right, my initial feeling is that it's set-up but I'm not so sure now.

Let me photo them all and then I suggest we stash them somewhere. If we need them we can get them later - we don't know their significance yet but we may need them later. Best not to be travelling around with them though.

Liz have you had much contact with Maria maybe we can send her some photos and see if she has any idea?

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am
by ghill
OOC:   If I remember correctly, Liz has had no responses from her emails to Maria.  

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"She hasn't replied to our emails," says Liz. "I'm kind of worried about her. Maybe she's not replying because she can't. She's on their home turf, and I don't think they'd leave her running around after what they've already done. Maybe the best they could do to Westerlund in Malta was frame him, but now that he's back in the UK they can get at him directly."

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 am
by ghill
OOC:   Where are you going to hide them? Unless idea hopelessly foolish, please just give me a brief description.  

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I'd suggest putting the bag and contents into a locker somewhere public - like a train station ... not sure Malta has trains though. If we could find something like that it'd be good.  

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm
by ghill
OOC:   No train station, Malta's International Airport has a 24/7 Luggage Deposit Service, but this is for travellers only, also everything deposited there has to be signed for. Perhaps post it somewhere? Post office probably have post office boxes - You can rent a Post Office (PO) Box at a Malta Post Office, Malta Post Head Office, or the Malta International Airport Departures Lounge. PO boxes are available on an annual basis for €46.59 to €163.06 per year.  

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm
by royya
I agree, we should keep them and hide them, a box in the post or a safe in a bank can be good. Liz, I suggest we take a picture of the figurines and send an anonymous email to the professor, letting him know that we found them, let's see his reaction to the photo.
Jacob says

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Definitely take pictures," says Liz, "but I don't know about showing them to Westerlund before we've sounded him out. We don't want to tip our hand. Andy could approach him using his journalist credentials, saying that he wants to get his side of the story. And if we really want to see Westerlund's reaction, we'd have to be there when he sees the pics for the first time."

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 am
by BenTheRat
Clay just shakes his head, "Yea, sounds good." Leaving the thinking to the others.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 pm
by ghill
OOC:   OK say lets assume, you buy a post office box then after taking photos post the contents of the bag to it.  

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:27 am
by royya
The question is where is Westerlund ? Can we track him down ? maybe facebook online messaging or an email
Jacob says

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:16 am
by ghill
OOC:   In a previous post NPC Jacob as the lawyer, pointed out an EU legal arrangement which meant the Prof didn't have to stay on the Maltese Islands. Liz later ascertained he had in fact left the islands for the UK. You don't actually have any details for the Prof (home address/tel) but as a member of the Brichester University faculty it shouldn't be to hard to get in contact with him if you wish.  

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll take a look online," says Liz. "There's got to be contact information on Brichester University's website, and we know he went back to the UK." She brings up the site on her laptop.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am
by ghill
OOC:   No die rolls required: There is a phone number for both school of Archaeology and after crawling through the Brichester Student Union website Liz finds a number for the archaeological society.  

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 pm
by BenTheRat
"Lets head back to the hotel and let Andy call him from there." Clay suggests.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go, then," says Liz, glancing back to see if anyone has followed them from Westerlund's house.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 am
by ghill
Greg takes a convoluted route back to the hotel down busy town roads, although not experts in the matter no one believes they had a tail.

A phone call to Brichester University is answered by the school of archaeology's administrator.
OOC:   Whoever is talking can either make a persuade roll, or Role play it, which as long as you don't say the wrong thing will lead to subsequent bonuses.  

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am
by royya
OOC,I think we should let Jacob do it but we must prepare what we want to say. I prefer to quicken things and just tell you what we want to say instead of roleplaying it.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:49 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Jacob certainly would be a good choice if you intend to persuade him you are some part of the Maltese legal establishment. But its all rather moot if you don't know what you are going to ask him.  

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm
by BenTheRat
"Well its show time guys. Someone needs to step up." Clay pipes in, while finding a comfortable spot to relax and get a cold one.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't look at me," says Liz. "I'm much better at talking to computers than to people. "

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 am
by ghill
OOC:   So no one actually knows what questions they want to ask the prof? In which case why ring him?  

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:18 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Let's hold off a moment and try and decide a proper plan of action, a lot of things have happened and we ought to spend some time to try and make sense of what we have... if that's possible." Andy takes a long swig of his beer. "We know we're on to 'something' but we don't have, or can't make sense, of all the pieces. We're not really sure what are clues and what's just... 'noise'. Westerlund was arrested on what must have been 'false charges' some one wanted him out of the way and importantly they didn't go as far as to murder him, which is the preferred method back in the UK.... that could be important. These people are not shy in committing blatant acts of murder to 'silence' someone.... but they didn't do that here... it would certainly have been easier to do away with Westerlund than have him arrested and subsequently deported from the island." Andy pauses looking out of the window, while he gathers his thoughts.

"Of course it does fit.. they wanted the sites closed down and framing the 'man in charge' had just that effect. Not only that... they don't seem to have been that bothered by a potential investigation by the authorities... so whatever they don't want to be found is probably still 'in the ground'." he shrugs. "Those items we found were probably planted to complicate the criminal investigation... keeping the sites closed for longer. Also... if they didn't need to kill Westerlund does that mean he 'knows' less than Gossham, Grundy and Mathers?"

"Am I making any sense, here?" he asks the others... hoping that everyone will chip in with ideas.
OOC:   So that sums up the recent events as far as Andy can tell... the waters are still murky (I have no idea what is going on!). Knowing what we 'know' and without any other ideas it's probably a good idea to approach Westerlund... Andy will try to contact... but I'd like to 'hear' what we all think is going on from a characters perspective before he proceeds... I think it's a good idea - if we were playing ftf we'd be swapping ideas and information more freely even if it were ooc. Hoping you all agree.  
OOC:   Andy has an opening with Westerlund, namely the events on Malta... Andy can mention that he was injured at the Mathers' house and 'rescued' the daughter (it's a matter of record and Westerlund can verify that easily enough).... and also that they've done Westerlund a favour by getting rid of the 'evidence'.  

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 pm
by royya
Maybe we can help Westerlund, tell him that we, without revealing identities yet, are in Malta and we want to find what he looked for ?
What are the chances ?

Jacob suggests

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think you've the right of it," Liz tells Andy, sitting on the edge of the bed and swinging her legs idly back and forth. "I think it best that you make the initial approach, let him know you believe he's innocent, ask for an interview so you can get his side of the story. Then we can ask him about the sites he's worked on, show him the pictures Albert took and ask Westerlund their significance. Albert could be your photographer and I could be your intern - though I'd prefer Girl Friday."

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy nods at Jacob's suggestion "I don't think that I can approach Westerlund and not let him know who I am. It will be important to develop 'trust' as soon as possible and letting him have enough information to be able to 'check me out' is probably the best way to start.

"I don't think we'll need to go to the trouble of 'inventing' staffers for me, Liz, well we would if we were to meet him face to face and I don't think that's on the cards... we don't know when we'll be back in the UK, after all.

Andy Scribbles some notes on his pad "Any other ideas about how we should proceed?"

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:42 am
by royya
I agree, we want the professor on our side, but we should be secretive. I really hope that he was not sent here by the Albanians. There is a chance that he is working with them under threat ? Just do not reveal our exact location. We trust no one.
Jacob says

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:53 pm
by ghill
Greg sighs, "I'm still confused, why exactly did they kill Gossham and the others in the first place, what were they involved in which was so important?" Greg swigs from his bottle of water "Maybe that would explain why they didn't bother killing Westerlund, which does seem a bit out of character for them...I mean no sign of burning bushes, fire demons or sword wielding maniacs."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it must have to do with that paper Gosshamm was working on," says Liz. "They've been trying to kill people who've read it - and people who happened to be at their homes at the wrong time. Maybe we should give the latest draft we've got some more scrutiny, see if anything jumps out at us now that we've seen the dig sites on Malta. I think the Verbetoi are trying to conceal their origins, and those origins point back to Malta. I don't think Westerlund has read it, or at least he wasn't copied on the email. When we do eventually return to the UK, we might want to speak to Westerlund in person, but while we're here we can see if he gives Andy any information that'll help us find out what we can on Malta."

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 am
by royya
Unless Westelund was hired by the Verbetoi to excavate artifacts from the past. We do know that Gossham was killed since he hid the fragments and wrote the paper ... maybe Westerlund job was to find more of the fragments. I say we must find if the two professors were rivals ?
Jacob says as he ponders on the thickening plot

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:45 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay is flipping through the channels but there isn't a game on. "worthless TV. Hey Liz, has this Wusterland guy ever published anything on the verboti? Maybe he has something posted or was he referenced in Grossman's paper"
ooc,yes I know all the names are misspelled.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let me see," says Liz, ignoring Clay's mispronunciations. She goes online to search for biographical information on Westerlund, who he's worked with, and any papers that he's published.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 am
by ghill
OOC:   It doesn't take long to realise Westerlund and Gossham actually have pretty much diametrically opposed views of the Maltese fragments. Gossham says they are clear evidence of a written ur-language, Westerlund says they are simply pretty designs and don't originate from the date Gossham claims they come from. There is no name calling, and everything is civil. The BUGAS (pronounced buggers - Brichester University's Geography and Archaeology Society) website has photos last year of the end of dig party which shows Gossham and Westerlund sharing a drink (not news Liz was aware Gossham came over last summer) Liz seems to remember Shauna telling her something about the trip, about why she thought the prof came over*  
"I remember one of the students saying Prof Gossham came over to Malta a couple of times" says Greg "I don't remembering him saying anything else about it though"
Liz/Clay wrack their memories,you can either go look through the notes and find what Shauna said, or failing that see if your memory serves you properly ([b]intx3 roll[/b])

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I recall Shauna saying that Gosshamm had a theory that some ethnic groups in Albania originated in Malta," says Liz. "Must be the Verbetoi, obviously. She also said he wasn't that interested in Malta any more and was keen to get back to Albania, which is where he would have gone next. He'd already bought a ticket and everything. I guess he already found whatever he needed to find on Malta." She also shares what she found online.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:30 am
by BenTheRat
"So was this a wild goose chase, maybe Albania is where we need to go?" Clay chimes in.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I know we're going to end up going there eventually," says Liz, "but I think there may be something important going on here too that we need to be aware of. Gosshamm must have already discovered everything important here, which is why he was moving on."

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 am
by ghill
"Has anyone actually read the paper end to end, I mean I've scanned it but I haven't really given it a thorough read. I understand the Prof thought the Verbti were descendants of these ancient people, but honestly I cant see that as being something you'd kill over." says Greg

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy listens intently, makes notes to what he sees as important and recurring pieces of information.

"Liz, you did get contact details for that archaeologist you met at the site earlier, right? We could pump him for some information too... I expect that framing Westerlund was the culmination of an escalating series of incidents... aimed at getting the sites closed down... I mean they'd probably start by making things difficult, thefts... equipment breakdowns... that kind of harassment. If that's true, then it'd be common knowledge that they had problems at the dig-sites... and maybe, if we're lucky.. the activities might be focussed on one site... and that would pin-point the 'important' one." Andy chips in.

OOC:   Andy will volunteer to read any academic papers.  

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I got his name," says Liz. "He's Matthias Balbi, and we know what sort of work he does, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find his email address online."
OOC,I'm up for reading the paper, but I thought I already did that. We found the latest draft in the hard drive we salvaged, and we had nothing but time during the week we were laying low.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 am
by ghill
Liz the Thesis,My memories may be playing me up, but all I remember Liz doing with the thesis was skimming it. At the safe house she spent the majority of her time looking through the Hard Drive Albert recovered from the burning house.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think I skimmed the early draft we found on [b]Gosshamm[/b]'s computer. I found [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=159188#p159188]this post[/url] detailing what we found on the hard drive in the safe house. Since it took a few days, I must have assumed that I'd read everything and you'd summarized my findings. In all the time we had there, I certainly would have read it, though I hadn't explicitly said so. If there wasn't enough time, I'll read it now, and make copies of the document for the others to read.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:03 am
by ghill
While Liz makes sure she can use the hostel/hotels old printer without bankrupting the group she lays out what she discovered on the hard drive which Albert recovered from Mather's house:

She discovered an email thread in which Professor Gosshamm laid out his proposition suggesting the Verbetoi are the last remaining elements of a progenitor civilization which existed over 15,000 years ago. He seems to indicate the fragments of the writing people found in Malta are actually copies by later less educated peoples after the Verbetoi moved to the area of ancient Illyria (modern day Albania).

From skimming the thesis she found attached to this mail she discerned a more polished copy of the one she had already seen in Gosshamm's office, the ideas seemed more well formed, the evidence and arguments better structured and more clearly presented.

Mathers come back email constructively destroyed Gosshamm's proposition on the basis that there was not enough supporting evidence and the evidence he did have was open to interpretation. Gosshamm's response is that there is almost further evidence on Malta, but the authorities have closed down the digs for the foreseeable future. Mathers response is that he should move his search to Albania.

The final post in the thread is a mail from Maria Demachi, in which Maria indicates she is and Gosshamm are heading into the Northern Mountains and that Gosshamm has some clues about where to go from evidence he gathered in Malta. This last mail is only a few days before the Prof's death.
OOC:   Reading the thesis and understanding it is a full 2 days worth of effort, it requires a History or archaeology roll as well. The hotel will allow Liz to print only one copy of the thesis. Reading an electronic copy takes 3 days.  

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:08 pm
by royya
So basicly we are dealing with the offsprings of a way way ancient cult that is dated before the hebrew men were in the holy land. There is nothing in the holy bible about them. A cult of sorcerers and people who master the art of fire.
Jacob says, quite nervous with the unbelievable "true".
Gossham found clues here in Malta about the possible location of the this cult ? Do you think Westerlund found anything ? might wirth to check with him, There is no doubt that the clues will send us to Albania next.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Let's take a few days to get to grips with all the information we have... after that we'll be in a better position to ask Westerlund pertinent questions, we might only get one shot at an interview. In the meantime who fancies a quick trip back to Westerlund's place, I thought we could make a show of knocking again... and then report the place as being 'unlocked' see what the local police have to say?"

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:35 am
by BenTheRat
Clay listens to the explanations, "sounds like they disagree for sure. I'm up for another run at the house, anything in particular we are looking for this time? besides the one bag of artifacts, we came up empty handed last time?" Clay finished off the sandwich he had made.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"While you chaps go by the house," says Liz, "I'll stay here and start geeking out on the thesis. My knowledge of history will come in useful there. Andy, you can read the electronic copy if you want to help. Unfortunately, we can't afford to print out a second one."

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:39 pm
by Papa Gateau
Ok sounds like a plan adds Albert

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 am
by ghill
Andy and Clay drive out to the villa but find it secured secured, the door is locked. Not only that their presence is clearly noted by a neighbour, a man who took no interest in either man when they were in the area last time.

Liz starts to read the thesis in depth.
Reading the thesis,+2% Cthuhlu Mythos, A [b]History[/b] or [b]Archaeology[/b] skill roll as well if you fail these then a KNOW roll as well please. Reading it will take 2-3 days
OOC:   Is it Andy or Albert who is reading the electronic copy? NB clearly you can have as many copies of the electronic copy as you like, you simply need platforms to read it on. Neither Andy or Albert have kit lists btw, You might want to include essentials.I'll allow both of you to retrospectively add laptops considering your backgrounds. Actually, I believe Andy bought a new clean laptop in game.  

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Ward

Upon finding Westerlund's house now locked Andy pauses to look around, noting that they are being watched by a neighbour."Now that's interesting, no one so much as peeked when we traipsed in here mob-handed but now someone does; perhaps he's just a nosey sod but then again... someone has been here to lock up... was the neighbour looking out specifically? Am I being paranoid?" he thought.

"Clay... one of the neighbour's is making a point of watching us.. might be a co-incidence or maybe he's been asked to keep an eye out. Keep an eye out while I go and see what he's up to.."

Andy moves over to where the neighbour looks on... "Hello... could you help me.. do you know when our friend will be back?" he asks, waving his hand to Westerlund's villa.
OOC:   Andy will try and gauge the man's reaction.. being 'shifty', evasive etc.
Psychology 25%
[dice]0[/dice]

He won't get involved in any lengthy discussion in case the man is on lookout and has summoned 'help'.  

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz settles down in her room and begins studying the hard copy of the thesis, providing anyone else who wants one with an electronic copy. As she reads, she can almost feel her mind being expanded in ways that aren't entirely comfortable. Jacob was right to be disturbed, she thinks. She is familiar with some of the historical background, which serves her in good stead, though it will take her a couple of days to really get to grips with everything.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:09 pm
by ghill
Andy/Clay

The man has a closed expression which the Andy finds hard to read. He greets Andy with a cautious hello and says the professor has gone to the UK, he also asks whether he saw Andy earlier?

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:52 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay looks around to make sure there is no one else watching. (a car all the sudden pulls out, etc...) If all is clear he strolls over to the neighbor, "So glad we caught you, we stopped by earlier and he was gone, you said he is out of country, hmmm. Did anyone else stop by?"

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:14 am
by ghill
The man looks at Clay "The police came just a littlw while ago. They say the house was broken into, are they not in there now? You should go and talk to them"

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:10 pm
by BenTheRat
"I think they have all gone. Did you call them?" Clay asked.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm
by ghill
"No they turned up earlier, a tip off I think they said" the old man grunts and turns to go.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Before Andy could reply, Clay answered...

"The house was broken into! We knocked before and got no answer..." he shrugs.. "Must have happened after we left. We'll have to let the Professor know....

"Go to the police.... not bloody likely.... if they take our prints they'll have us for burglary.." he thinks.

Andy wants to leave before they get caught up in a 'situation' but he also wants information... "Did the Police say if anything was taken?"

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:58 pm
by ghill
"I do not know. They say it look as though something had been stolen but they did not say what"

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:20 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy nods and thanks the neighbour for his 'help'.

"Let's try to make sure we're not being followed... looks like we were lucky not to get caught earlier... we'd better get away from the area as quick as possible." Andy says to Clay in a low voice as they walk away.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:53 am
by ghill
Taking a circuitous route back to the Hotel/Hostel Andy and Claim are confident they're not followed.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:33 pm
by royya
Found anything else in the house ?
Jacob asks both as they arrive. Jacob had the time to pray while everyone was outside, something he missed for some time due to the situation.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Take it as read that Andy (and Clay) update everyone.  

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm
by royya
I don't understand ... someone else came before us or after we left and then the police came ?
Jacob is puzzled.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:59 am
by Papa Gateau
Nah, Jake, the guy said the filth were tipped off. They were supposed to go in and find the bag of goodies that we found and then come down heavy Gossham. We were lucky we got in and out before they showed up

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:52 am
by royya
So they were after the bag we found and now they will be after us.
Jacob says

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You mean Westerlund," says Liz, not even looking up from the papers she's reading. While the thesis has captured her attention, she is still capable of multitasking. "I don't think the police know about us. The Verbetoi do, but they were after us before anyway. I can't imagine they'll want us any more dead than they already do."

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:57 pm
by Papa Gateau
Yeah, sorry, Westerlund. Albert says

No Jake I don't think the baddies, the verbetoi, want the bag, they planted it so that they could get Westerlund out of the way.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:28 pm
by royya
But why? I thought Westerlund hid what he found in the dig site it in the air vent so the police and the verbetoi won't find it.
Jacob replies
He wasn't able to take it with him because of the trial against him in Malta. If the Verbetoi are looking for the figures I wonder what's so unique about them? figures of a ritual maybe?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, that's just what they wanted everyone to think," says Liz. "Westerlund never stole a thing. The Verbetoi wanted the digs shut down, so they framed him. They planted those objects in the vent and tipped off the police in the hopes they'd go in and find them. The items themselves aren't even significant, and they're not the sort of things that went missing from the dig site."

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:43 pm
by royya
So ... let's buy some shovels and continue the digging ... maybe we need to find something familiar to the Maltese fragments, probably there are more.
Jacob says.
Once we befriend with Westerlund, we can ask him to tell us where to dig.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're not archaeologists," says Liz. "We don't know how to dig without damaging what we're looking for, and we don't even know what we're looking for yet. I'm sure the thesis will tell us more, but it'll take me a couple of days to get through it. And I don't think it's such a good idea to tell Westerlund we intend to keep digging in the closed sites. He's in enough trouble already as it is. The best we could do would be to get the sites officially reopened, but the digs will take time even if we somehow manage that."

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:34 am
by ghill
"I agree with Liz" says Greg "Why the hell would Westerlund want anything to do with us? I wouldn't go near us and our 'crazy stories' On top of which I cant waste time while we dig, At some point the hospital administrator is going to fire my ass for taking all this unpaid leave"

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 pm
by BenTheRat
"I guess its a good thing I don't have a job," Clay chimes in. "Personally I think we've reached a dead end here in Malta. We need a pro Acheologist if we plan to do anything more here." He pauses for a second, then, "Unless we can hire some local guy. We don't have to tell him everything, just enough to help us find what we need. I mean there are tons of digs going on. I bet some Grad Student could use some extra change to help us in the evenings"

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"No professional archaelogist is going to illegally dig at a closed site," says Liz. "When we get to Albania, we can look up Maria Dimachi, but she can't help us here."

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 am
by BenTheRat
"Well I've heard archeologists get paid for crap, so you'd be surprised what people will do if you wave enough in front of them. Of course we don't have that kind of money." Clay laughs.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 am
by ghill
OOC:   Guys, does anyone have any plans - fly home, fly to Albania, search other digs etc or can we just assume you kill time while Liz and Andy(?) read the Thesis and I can fast forward.  

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:57 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   We've got 2 laptops (maybe more) and one printout of the thesis... Liz and Andy are Reading... who else - we need as many eyes on this as poss..  

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:22 am
by Papa Gateau
Albert cracks open a beer and takes a quick swig

I think we should be heading to Albania, I think Malta is a bit of a dead end - other than the fact we've learned they want Westerlund out of the way and they can be a bit more subtle in how they achieve their goals. They can use other methods instead of muscle and firepower.

How about I investigate the best way to get to Albania from here and we go and visit this Maria character? I doubt there will be daily flights or ferries so depending on schedules, we'll have a day or two to study the manuscript.

Let's buy a cheap ink-jet printer and a couple of reams of paper and we can all study the manuscript - the more eyes we have on it the more chance we have noticing something.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:03 am
by carnage_lee
"That's a good idea Albert although I don't think we should rush into getting to Albania... I know that Gossham had finished with Malta and his next destination was Albania but he had a theory.... whatever he knew... he knew it led there, we're still playing 'catch up' we don't have any workable theories about what's going on... we know it's dangerous and we're still stumbling about." he shrugs, looking at everyone "No offence... I'm not trying to demean what you.. what we've done so far. We desperately need to understand what's going on... we need to know what Gossham was onto and how that fits into the Verbetoi"

"Does anyone else find this whole thing a bit..." he shrugs again "These gangsters... they don't go killing people, or framing them for a whim, they are criminals... ruthless but they always do things for a reason and somehow I find it difficult to believe that they're doing this to cover up something that may or may not have happened thousands of years ago. I can see that Gossham discovering that writing and sophisticated tool use was around years before anyone thought would 'put the cat amongst the pigeons' in the academic world but why would that bother a criminal gang? So, what's the more mundane reason behind all this? Why would a gang of ruthless criminals kill to stop anyone looking into this?"

"Let's take a few days to go through Gossham's paper, we may not understand things from that but it should give us enough information to start asking the right questions after that we may want to do some more poking about here or more probably.. contact Westerlund and Maria. Contacting her may be dangerous.. but she's probably the only other person that knows exactly what Gossham was involved with. he pauses and you get the impression that he had left the word 'alive' out of that sentence.

"Contacting Maria will probably be dangerous, maybe more-so for her. Perhaps the Verbatoi are unaware of her involvement, perhaps she's the last 'loose end'. One things for sure... Albania is their home turf and we don't know what's at the core of this conspiracy.. going there is going to be extremely dangerous.

"Let's study Gossham's paper that ought to give us somewhere to start, we can then follow up with Westerlund and try and contact Maria Demachi by email or phone.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We already sent Maria emails," says Liz, "but she never replied. I agree, we're not ready to go to Albania yet, but when we do we ought to use our false identities. That means we should fly back to the UK first, which we'll want to do anyway to look up Westerlund. We have enough computers that a few of us can read electronic copies of the thesis. We should stay on Malta until we've finished studying it, though, in case we need to follow up on something here that's revealed by it. Besides, we wanted to relax on the beach, and we can do that while we're reading. Just don't get any sand on my laptop."

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 am
by royya
It is to dangerous for me to return to the UK now Liz ... although I'm not a suspect yet, the police wants me for questioning in something I'm to terrified to understand and the Verbetoi wants us dead, we can't just fall to their hands again ... not to speak arriving to Heathrow airport where the whole nightmare began.

Jacob turns to Albert as he picks a copy of the thesis.

They are not just simple criminals Albert ... I think a murderous cult is more appropriate name for them. A cult worshipping something we don't understand. I think Gossham found what it was and paid with his life, the maltase fragments are only a ritual artifact for the cult in a ceremony we probably not familiar with.
We are holding the tip of a trail to understand what they are and a step from revealing their secrets so we are next in the killing line. We must proceed to Albania.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 pm
by ghill
Liz and Andy read the paper becoming increasingly absorbed in its contents.
Thesis readers only,The thesis is that the Verbetoi are a the last remaining remnants of a civilization which predates our own. Gosshamm ballparks this "Hyborian Age" as being around 10,000 B.C. (most archaeologists would mark this as the start of the Neolithic period in the development of human technology) although he later mentions it could be as late as 32,500 B.C. The Verbetoi first appear in Malta when it is a larger mountain chain, some Maltese fragments are examples of their written texts, but many others are from later neolithic cultures who were simply copying the patterns of their texts without understanding. At some point the Verbti (the tribal name is Verbetoi) moved to Illyria (modern day Albania) where they re-established themselves. [b]History/Archaeology[/b] [u]or[/u] a [b]Hard Idea[/b] success roll: The ideas are well formed, the evidence and arguments well-structured and well presented, but they are not conclusive. The archaeological evidence particularly is open to a great deal of interpretation without specific sites or artifacts he can highlight in Albania and Malta the thesis remains unsupported. [b]Succeed[/b] any of the above take [b]2 SAN[/b] loss + History or Arch check and +2 C.Mythos

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay looks over at everyone being studius, "yea, I'd rather go fight one of those fireballs, I'm going to take a tour around the place see if I can spot anyone watching us."
Clay heads outside and takes a walk around the block seeing if he notices anyone who looks like he's been watching the place.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not all of us are cut out to be nerds," says Liz as she plunges into the thesis.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:16 pm
by ghill
Clay heads outside, after walking the block he's confident there isn't any kind of surveillance on the hotel/hostel.
OOC:   Guys, you might want to consider the time passed, those who wish to read the thesis find a means to do so - either via a laptop phone or other device or via the simple expedient of taking it to a copy shop - and you may consider the thesis read. if you do read it please read the entry here. However,please do not consider this the be all and end all if you have further questions please ask.  

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is there any indication of where the Verbetoi came from before they showed up in Malta, or why they left Malta?

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:23 am
by BenTheRat
After 2 days of playing food delivery man, and copy guy, I see them put it down.

"Well, hope that was worth it, anything worth while in all that?" Clay asks.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Gosshamm's theory is that the Verbetoi are all that remains of a very ancient civilisation far older than our own," says Liz, "in what he calls the Hyborian Age. He places it around 10,000 BC, but later on he says it could be as far back as 32,500 BC. When they came to Malta, it was a larger mountain chain. Some of the Maltese fragments were by them, but others were copied by later cultures without understanding what they meant. Eventually they migrated to Illyria, to the area that's Albania today. He makes a well-organised case, but he's lacking key pieces of evidence to prove it. What evidence he does have is open to interpretation, and he'd have needed something more conclusive from Malta and Albania."

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:50 am
by ghill
Liz The Verbetois ancestors,were a nomadic people, their savage forefathers members of wandering clans on the banks of the Nile river. Over millennia the blood of the Verbetois' forefathers was mixed with the blood of more advanced cultures to produce a fierce, hybrid people who established a series of city-states. These proto-Verbetoi served their more powerful neighbours, providing savage mounted warriors to at least one empire of the time to violently suppress domestic disorder in vassal states. Gosshamm described the proto-Verbetoi as being polytheistic in nature , dividing their worship among a number of gods. His most amazing claim, however, was not just that he had identified an ancestor for the modern Verbetoi - the Atahath, a small clan, known for their copper and gold-smithing as well as horse breeding - but the very event that created their tribe. The Atahath were refugees, seeking a hiding place away from the constant fighting that plagued their existence and chose the haunted ruins of the long-dead city of Yb - also known as Tal'ib, the "city in the waste", and the only source of water to be found in the area of the Western desert of Shem known as 'The Waste'. Decades later when they left the safety of Tal'ib, they worshipped only one God - 'Verbti' and named themselves after him. The land the Verbetoi returned to was inhabited only by nomadic tribes. No cities remained; successive barbarian invasions had leveled them, leaving only ruins. The damage wrought by waves of barbarians, however, was as nothing to the terrible convulsions of the Earth that were to come. As the Pleistocene Age gave way to the Holocene, a massive polar shift occurred causing devastating geological upheavals. The Pillars of Hercules were breached and the Atlantic Ocean poured through, flooding the Mediterranean basin and the Verbetoi homelands, forcing them northwards. Their movement towards Illyria seems to a simple issue of seeking new pastures or better lands for their horses.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:00 pm
by ghill
Greg shifts in his seat. "When i was doing triage at the hospital for the first time, the chief surgeon said we had to be like police detectives when we saw the patient and ask ourselves the 5 W's.

Who did it happen to
What happened?
When did it take place?
Where did it take place?
Why did it happen?

I guess that is four W's and an H isn't it? Anyway the point is if we can start answering some of these questions maybe we can start working out what happened."
Greg pauses long enough to take a sip of his drink.

"So we know Gosshamm and anyone who has read the thesis seems to have been killed, but I don't think them being killed is 'Whats happened", them being killed is as a result of something else happening. Is there anything in the Thesis which might cause that?" Another sip of drink. "Also we keep talking about the Verbti, but from what I've read the Verbti are like an ethnic minority in Albania right, they can't all be violent criminals right, I mean aren't there several thousand of them, its not us versus a small army is it?"
OOC:   Just trying to push things along, for those who have read the thesis - which as I've said is anyone who wants to (just go here and read the spoiler) In answer to Greg's question there is nothing obvious which would seem to justify killing someone.  

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, they haven't killed everyone who's read it yet," says Liz. "We're still alive, but it's not for lack of trying on their part. I can't see anything in here that would prompt them to kill. I mean, the existence of an unknown advanced civilisation is a huge deal, but I can't see it producing this kind of reaction. Maybe it's more like Gosshamm was getting too close to learning something he hadn't found out yet, and this thesis was pointing him in the right direction, so they took preemptive action. I don't think all the Verbti are like that. Elira and the other girls we rescued weren't. Well, maybe the older one might have been. It could just be certain families or clans within the larger group. What did that chap call it, a 'fis'? Sort of like an organised crime family, I guess. The rest of the Verbti don't mess with them and let them do their thing, maybe pay protection or something, but I doubt they're all willing to kill for them.

"Gosshamm said the Verbetoi's ancestors were nomads who originated around the Nile, and that their blood was mingled with that of more advanced cultures. They had several city-states. They hired out to powerful empires as mercenaries and did stuff like putting down rebellions by vassals. They started out as polytheists, but something happened with one of their ancestors, a clan called the Atahath. They were good at working copper and gold and breeding horses. The Atahath were fleeing the constant warring in their area and hid in the haunted ruins of a long-dead city called Yb, also called Tal'ib, the city in the waste. It was the only source of water in that area of the Western desert of Shem called 'The Waste.' They stayed there for decades, and when they left they were monotheists. The one god they worshipped was called Verbti, and at that point they named themselves after him. When they returned to their old lands, there were only nomads. All the cities had been destroyed by barbarians. Then there was a massive polar shift that breached the Pillars of Hercules and flooded the Mediterranean and the Verbetoi homelands, which had been dry before then. They fled north and eventually ended up on Malta. When they left Malta for Illyria, it was just to find better lands for their horses. They seem to be big on horses. That would tie in with the horse tattoo."

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:04 am
by BenTheRat
Clay's eyes glazed over about 2 minutes into it. "Wow, so really old stuff, people worship some really weird god, moved to Malta. Got it." Clay shakes his head, "so did it really help us? whats the next step?"

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I think at least some of us should go back to the UK and contact Westerlund in person," says Liz. "If that doesn't produce any new leads, then we'd have to go on to Albania and look for Maria Dimachi."

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:18 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Am putting together a post.. it's quite involved ... bear with me.  

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 am
by ghill
Greg looks at Andy "I can almost see the cogs whirring, you got something to say Andy?"

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:39 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy looks up from his note-taking, "I was just trying to get everything into some kind of order.." he shows the page on his pad, some kind of time line and lots of notes and lots of crossings out. "I just thought if I wrote down all the things that I could remember you guys telling me about what happened before the fight at Mathers' place that it might... " he shrugs "somehow fit or start to make sense..."

Andy plonks his pad of the coffee table so that everyone can see it "So, if we start here.." he points to a section marked 'event zero' with the tip of his pen "this.. the murder of Adrian Gossham is the key event but looking at things this whole mess stretches back almost two years when he started his new research..." Andy spends the next few minutes explaining what he's written down.
OOC:   I've created a spreadsheet that summarises all Andy's work:

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=5266  

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade
OOC:   Following on from the previous post.  
".. and seeing all that information in one place a few questions jumped out at me. And I dare-say that guys can help fill in some of the blanks. So I think we need to do the following." he flips over the page to reveal xx lines written in capitals.

CONTACT MARIA DEMACHI

FIND OUT WHO ACTUALLY FUNDED GOSSHAM AND WHY

HOW DID THE VERBETOI IDENTIFY MATHERS AND GRUNDY?

"I'm sure there's other things we have to consider but these things jumped out at me and I think they're important. It seems to me that Maria is the only person 'alive' that has the latest version of Gossham's paper... the one that has his 'proof', that's the key to all this."

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wow, nice work!" says Liz, impressed. She looks through her own disjointed notes. "You're so much more organised than I am. I can answer your question right now about who funded Gosshamm. Shauna told me it was Kush nderton, a charity dedicated to preserving Albanian culture and heritage. They provide grants for archaelogical work and for studying Albanian heritage, history and culture. Their contact address is through a solicitor's firm, Redrupp and Vosper. The trustees are John Redrupp, Claire Vosper, and Alex Rudaj. They earned about 500,000 quid from donations and gave almost all of it out for their chariatble activities. I got all that from Google, but I think we ought to learn more about them."

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy adds the details of the charity. "That's great Liz thanks for that, I think that's an important detail, there's something that's puzzling me though. You told me about the emails that you found on Gossham's laptop, there were two to someone who seemed to be Gossham's benefactor but the tone of the messages was a little 'mysterious' the words were ... not 'vague' exactly but... well anyway those messages weren't addressed to any of the trustees and that email address is very cryptic. Seems to me there's something 'fishy' there. We also should try and find out how the Verbetoi knew that Mathers and Grundy had copies of Gossham's paper."

Andy flips back to the page with the three questions... "Does anyone have anything to add?" he asks.

OOC:   Details about the charity are on the sheet (some details are added as 'notes' which can be accessed by hovering over the cell.
There's a tab on the spreadsheet labelled 'Things to do / Objectives' which distil the info down into actionables.

From the emails Liz lifted it appears that MD knew who also had copies of the thesis. MB (0121233@hotmail.com) had a copy (sent 18th July) - AG told MB he was going back to Albania - AG's email to MD hints at trouble in Albania (was that due to MB - they knew that AG was going to be there) - that message tells MD that TM and CG had copies too. Unfortunately that seems to point to MD as being the 'leak' - however it would have been simpler to keep AG in Albania, I think it's more probable that the emails to MD were read by the Verbatoi or someone working for them. It also occurs to me that Shauna would probably know who had copies of the paper - she could be the mole too. It's also possible that the MB knew who had copies.

Did we pinpoint the date of the fire at AG's cottage - we agree that was an attempt to destroy any 'evidence' to support AG's work - if so then that becomes a key event? Was it before or after the emails to the MB?

If this were a 'LaCarre' story we'd feed info back to the suspects and see who bites.  

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Gosshamm told whoever was behind the hotmail account about his thesis first and sent an early draft," says Liz. "We've got to find out who that is. We know he's male, and that he's been funding the research and also donating time and effort, so he's prolly associated with the charity, and Gosshamm says he has business interests. I could try to hack into the account and see if I can find out more. We might be able to search through local online news to find out when the fire happened."

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay goes through all the notes trying to understand the Cliff Notes version. "Wow, this is even more complicated than I thought. Ok, looking at the things to do, it seems getting the complete paper would be the most important. And thats in Albania, right?"

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:21 pm
by royya
Very good
Jacob says plainly as he goes over the excel file.
Travelling to the UK and then to Albania is very expensive. Do you have the money for that ? Can't we seal the UK end with a phone call or chat through the web ?

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Didn't we buy round trip tickets to Malta?" asks Liz. "If so, we can just use the returns. And we can use those other credit cards to buy tickets as needed."

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 pm
by ghill
Greg looks at his ticket "mine says return, I'm good either way as no one is looking for me."

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:35 pm
by ghill
Greg downs the last of his drink. Well shall we take a vote on it? Who is for heading back to England and who is up for heading out to Albania?

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 pm
by BenTheRat
"Well the cops aren't looking for me back home, I'll go to either." Clay says

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm for going back to Blighty," says Liz. "There are still some loose ends there that we should investigate before we go poking about in the lion's den."

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:26 pm
by royya
I can't risk getting home to the UK ... I will head straight to Albania to preapre the grond for your arrival.
Jacob says.
Andy, Albert, what about you two ?

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:13 pm
by Papa Gateau
Yeah, I'd rather not head back to the UK just yet - seeing as the filth want to speak with me.

And I think you're right, I'm not sure we have enough to go on to do much ground work in Albania - other than trying to contact Maria - and that may just bring unwanted attention to her or us, maybe play our hand too soon?

Personally I think we should all be in the same country, whether that is the UK or Albania - I don't fancy being on enemy territory without my muscle with me
Albert smiles and nods towards to Clay

For me personally, either option is potentially difficult or dangerous.

I'm happy to go with flow here but I think we should stick together.

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm
by ghill
Greg straightens up in his seat "I think I'M pretty safe in the UK, nobody even blinked when we showed them Albert's passports., What do you think Andy? I mean you're the man whose done all the work"

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Nobody in the UK should be looking for me either," says Liz.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"I don't think we should split up; I don't think we need to worry too much about the police in the UK, it's not like there's an 'all-points bulletin' out for anyone." he looks around at the others. "We're going to have to go to Albania but I think we need to deal with any loose ends back in 'blighty' first.

"My vote would be to head back to England.."

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 pm
by ghill
OOC:   As its been mentioned earlier, Jacob reminds everyone he knows Redrupp and Vosper by reputation. The offices of Redrupp and Vosper advertise themselves as experts in company and commercial law, as well as advising high net worth individuals on their personal and financial affairs. Basically, if you want to hide your piles of cash from the Inland Revenue they're your man. By reputation R&V are known to be highly litigious taking people to court if there is even the slightest hint, they or one of their clients has been involved in wrongdoing.  
"So" says Greg "We have two votes for returning to England, Liz and Andy. One vote for Albania, Jacob. Two votes either way myself and Albert. Although, Albert is wary about returning to the UK when he's wanted for questioning by the police. I on the other hand feel we should probably follow Andy's lead in this one simply because he's done all the research. So Clay I reckon that makes yours the deciding vote? Greg pauses for a moment, then looks at Jacob. "Jacob, if we all decide to go to the UK, you're not going to go off to Albania on your own are you?"

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I think we all need to stick together, for the sake of the story - even if it might be more realistic to be worried about going back for some characters. Even if this were rl I don't think the chances would be all that high that the Police would be monitoring borders to detain them. I'm sure our esteemed Keeper could be prevailed upon to be somewhat lenient in this case.... of course should we be arrested for any further actions then the characters would be identified as being 'persons of interest'. Even then, I don't think they'd be detained for very long.. after all they're witnesses nor suspects - a good brief would have 'em out of custody 'toot suite'.  

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am
by ghill
OOC:   To be clear Jacob and Albert are both wanted because their cars were found outside Mather's house, an interview would be awkward, but not necessarily damning.  
OOC:   I'd like to move things along. I've created two new threads Blighty and Albania. Just head over to whichever thread you wish to follow. NB If you find yourself alone in Albania, you may wish to reassess your life choices ;)  
back to the UK

Forge onto Albania