CH2-09 Malta - everyone together.

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: CH2-9 Malta - everyone together.

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I got his name," says Liz. "He's Matthias Balbi, and we know what sort of work he does, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find his email address online."
OOC,I'm up for reading the paper, but I thought I already did that. We found the latest draft in the hard drive we salvaged, and we had nothing but time during the week we were laying low.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

Liz the Thesis,My memories may be playing me up, but all I remember Liz doing with the thesis was skimming it. At the safe house she spent the majority of her time looking through the Hard Drive Albert recovered from the burning house.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think I skimmed the early draft we found on [b]Gosshamm[/b]'s computer. I found [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=159188#p159188]this post[/url] detailing what we found on the hard drive in the safe house. Since it took a few days, I must have assumed that I'd read everything and you'd summarized my findings. In all the time we had there, I certainly would have read it, though I hadn't explicitly said so. If there wasn't enough time, I'll read it now, and make copies of the document for the others to read.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

While Liz makes sure she can use the hostel/hotels old printer without bankrupting the group she lays out what she discovered on the hard drive which Albert recovered from Mather's house:

She discovered an email thread in which Professor Gosshamm laid out his proposition suggesting the Verbetoi are the last remaining elements of a progenitor civilization which existed over 15,000 years ago. He seems to indicate the fragments of the writing people found in Malta are actually copies by later less educated peoples after the Verbetoi moved to the area of ancient Illyria (modern day Albania).

From skimming the thesis she found attached to this mail she discerned a more polished copy of the one she had already seen in Gosshamm's office, the ideas seemed more well formed, the evidence and arguments better structured and more clearly presented.

Mathers come back email constructively destroyed Gosshamm's proposition on the basis that there was not enough supporting evidence and the evidence he did have was open to interpretation. Gosshamm's response is that there is almost further evidence on Malta, but the authorities have closed down the digs for the foreseeable future. Mathers response is that he should move his search to Albania.

The final post in the thread is a mail from Maria Demachi, in which Maria indicates she is and Gosshamm are heading into the Northern Mountains and that Gosshamm has some clues about where to go from evidence he gathered in Malta. This last mail is only a few days before the Prof's death.
OOC:   Reading the thesis and understanding it is a full 2 days worth of effort, it requires a History or archaeology roll as well. The hotel will allow Liz to print only one copy of the thesis. Reading an electronic copy takes 3 days.  
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

So basicly we are dealing with the offsprings of a way way ancient cult that is dated before the hebrew men were in the holy land. There is nothing in the holy bible about them. A cult of sorcerers and people who master the art of fire.
Jacob says, quite nervous with the unbelievable "true".
Gossham found clues here in Malta about the possible location of the this cult ? Do you think Westerlund found anything ? might wirth to check with him, There is no doubt that the clues will send us to Albania next.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Let's take a few days to get to grips with all the information we have... after that we'll be in a better position to ask Westerlund pertinent questions, we might only get one shot at an interview. In the meantime who fancies a quick trip back to Westerlund's place, I thought we could make a show of knocking again... and then report the place as being 'unlocked' see what the local police have to say?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay listens to the explanations, "sounds like they disagree for sure. I'm up for another run at the house, anything in particular we are looking for this time? besides the one bag of artifacts, we came up empty handed last time?" Clay finished off the sandwich he had made.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"While you chaps go by the house," says Liz, "I'll stay here and start geeking out on the thesis. My knowledge of history will come in useful there. Andy, you can read the electronic copy if you want to help. Unfortunately, we can't afford to print out a second one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Ok sounds like a plan adds Albert
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Andy and Clay drive out to the villa but find it secured secured, the door is locked. Not only that their presence is clearly noted by a neighbour, a man who took no interest in either man when they were in the area last time.

Liz starts to read the thesis in depth.
Reading the thesis,+2% Cthuhlu Mythos, A [b]History[/b] or [b]Archaeology[/b] skill roll as well if you fail these then a KNOW roll as well please. Reading it will take 2-3 days
OOC:   Is it Andy or Albert who is reading the electronic copy? NB clearly you can have as many copies of the electronic copy as you like, you simply need platforms to read it on. Neither Andy or Albert have kit lists btw, You might want to include essentials.I'll allow both of you to retrospectively add laptops considering your backgrounds. Actually, I believe Andy bought a new clean laptop in game.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Ward

Upon finding Westerlund's house now locked Andy pauses to look around, noting that they are being watched by a neighbour."Now that's interesting, no one so much as peeked when we traipsed in here mob-handed but now someone does; perhaps he's just a nosey sod but then again... someone has been here to lock up... was the neighbour looking out specifically? Am I being paranoid?" he thought.

"Clay... one of the neighbour's is making a point of watching us.. might be a co-incidence or maybe he's been asked to keep an eye out. Keep an eye out while I go and see what he's up to.."

Andy moves over to where the neighbour looks on... "Hello... could you help me.. do you know when our friend will be back?" he asks, waving his hand to Westerlund's villa.
OOC:   Andy will try and gauge the man's reaction.. being 'shifty', evasive etc.
Psychology 25%
[dice]0[/dice]

He won't get involved in any lengthy discussion in case the man is on lookout and has summoned 'help'.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz settles down in her room and begins studying the hard copy of the thesis, providing anyone else who wants one with an electronic copy. As she reads, she can almost feel her mind being expanded in ways that aren't entirely comfortable. Jacob was right to be disturbed, she thinks. She is familiar with some of the historical background, which serves her in good stead, though it will take her a couple of days to really get to grips with everything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Andy/Clay

The man has a closed expression which the Andy finds hard to read. He greets Andy with a cautious hello and says the professor has gone to the UK, he also asks whether he saw Andy earlier?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay looks around to make sure there is no one else watching. (a car all the sudden pulls out, etc...) If all is clear he strolls over to the neighbor, "So glad we caught you, we stopped by earlier and he was gone, you said he is out of country, hmmm. Did anyone else stop by?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The man looks at Clay "The police came just a littlw while ago. They say the house was broken into, are they not in there now? You should go and talk to them"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"I think they have all gone. Did you call them?" Clay asked.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"No they turned up earlier, a tip off I think they said" the old man grunts and turns to go.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Before Andy could reply, Clay answered...

"The house was broken into! We knocked before and got no answer..." he shrugs.. "Must have happened after we left. We'll have to let the Professor know....

"Go to the police.... not bloody likely.... if they take our prints they'll have us for burglary.." he thinks.

Andy wants to leave before they get caught up in a 'situation' but he also wants information... "Did the Police say if anything was taken?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"I do not know. They say it look as though something had been stolen but they did not say what"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy nods and thanks the neighbour for his 'help'.

"Let's try to make sure we're not being followed... looks like we were lucky not to get caught earlier... we'd better get away from the area as quick as possible." Andy says to Clay in a low voice as they walk away.

Return to “Watch the World Burn”