CH2-08a Malta Site 3(Albert, Andy, Jacob)

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH2-08a Malta Site 3(Albert, Andy, Jacob)

Post by ghill »

Site 3 stands on a rocky plateau on the South-West coast of Gozo, overlooking the sea. It is considerably bigger than either of the other two sites covering around two acres. At the end of a long dusty dirt track, Site three sits in a natural amphitheatre right on the coast. Unlike Site one, the start of the track is not marked as protected by Heritage Malta and there is no real indication there is anything of interest. However further down the track you see the familiar fence and Heritage Malta signs warning people to keep out.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: CH2-8a Malta Site 3

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy slowly approaches the gate, carefully looking around trying to see if anything looks amiss and checking that they're on their own.
Andy Wade (SPOT HIDDEN 35%),[dice]0[/dice]
Andy Wade (Track 10%),[dice]1[/dice] - to see if he can recognise and recent comings and goings
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Andy takes a look around the ruts in the track makes it look as though the track is or was heavily used, but with the sun baked earth its hard to tell if there has been any recent traffic. There really isn't a gate as such, one of the fence panels is simply held in place with a set of padlocks rather than fixed in place with a brackets. The area looks deserted.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Be my guest
Jacob gestures to them to lead the way
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Place looks deserted." Andy says as he reaches out and tugs experimentally on the padlock. "I suppose we ought to leave this in place if at all possible, we should try and keep our interest in the sites 'under wraps' for as long as possible. Someone probably comes around to check that no one has broken in every couple of days."

He half turns to the others "Unless we want to force our way in we'll have to climb over or find a gap in the fence." .
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

We can get up and over these easy enough - they're designed to keep the casual trespasser out, not the criminally determined. Albert cups his hands together and braces himself to boost his colleagues Right then Raffles, up and over with you!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Raffles, I assure you I am no gentleman; thief or otherwise" Andy laughs as he prepares to take advantage of Albert's offered boost.
OOC:   Could be funny - Albert and Andy are fairly short  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Albert gives Andy enough of a boost for him to get his arms over the top of the fence and heave himself up. Perching precariously on the top of the fence Andy leans over to help Albert and Jacob up and over.

The first thing anyone observing the site will notice is that a great deal of work has been done to reveal the site; work here is much further along than the other two sites. The earth here has been cleared over a large area and in a couple of places to a depth of over two metres with the spoil being added to the ridge which surrounds the site.

The problem is with no real archaeological knowledge between the three of them the trio have no idea what they are looking at.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Right, I suspect we're all virgin's in a knocking shop when it comes to our combined archeological knowledge Albert grins.

Let's take a look around and try not to disturb too much and leave evidence of our little trespass. Not really sure what we're looking for but let's keep our eyes peeled and don't forget to scan the fence line in case anyone turns up.
Spoiler:
Possible rolls,

I can try with my mighty archeology knowledge (thanks Time Team)
Archeology[01]: [dice]0[/dice]

Or I could just be lucky
Luck[80]: [dice]1[/dice]

or maybe I remember something my old classics teacher mentioned
Know[85]:[dice]2[/dice]

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Hidden,Good Try, These are generalist skills, you have to use them with a specific goal in mind, otherwise they tell you nothing that you can't already see.
Looking over the site, Albert can see a great deal of revealed stonework, whatever was here is quite large and well preserved but it bears no resemblance to the Roman ruins he's seen on 'Time Team'. There does seem to be a fair amount of plant (machinery) still on site, which is quite surprising because it must be rented or leased and will be costing Brichester University money while it sits here idle.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert get's to work and starts taking pictures of the site - from wide out panoramics to close ups and everything in between, including the plant hire and the company it was leased from.
Albert thinking:   not really sure what I'm looking for here but hopefully if I shoot it all we might be lucky and find something when we go through the images together later.  

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Albert starts to move purposefully around the site snapping off shots as he goes.
Spoiler:
Photography,OK can I have three Photography rolls; its going to take Albert some time to completely document the site especially as he doesn't know enough to decide what is important and what's not. As Albert has some serious spec equipment, he can probably dispense with the extreme close ups, but its still an hour to an hour and a half work
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Spoiler:
Rolls,
Photography[80]: [dice]0[/dice]

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Albert spends nearly two hours taking photos at the end of which he is happy that he has comprehensively documented the site.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy follows Albert deeper into the site, watching as the other man starts to photograph everything. Andy keep an eye out for any of the 'writing' marks he saw at the other site and for any statuary. These had been mentioned by Liz as being unusual. Otherwise he's happy to follow Albert and help where he can.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Andy cant see any evidence of statuary although he does wonder whether some of the larger plinths might have held statues sometime or other. Looking at some of the photos Albert took of the previous site, Andy does see some similarities he can see some patterns to it, but in his honest opinion it does seem one step away from chicken scratchings.
OOC:   Can I have Spot Hidden from all present please.  
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   Spot hidden[60][dice]0[/dice]  

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Albert is clearly to focussed on taking photographs, and pretty much oblivious to anything else including what he is perhaps taking photos of.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade
OOC:   Spot Hidden: Target 35%
[dice]0[/dice]  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper