Page 1 of 1

CH2-07 Arrival Malta

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 am
by ghill
Its a comfortable 23°C(73°F) as you stand on the pavement outside the front of Malta International's arrival terminal.

Greg puts on a pair of sun glasses "OK so we are here, now what?"

Re: CH2-7 Arrival Malta

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:25 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay stretches his arms out in the warm Mediterainian sun. "Now I could get use to this. What do you say we hit the beach at least once while we are here? We could use a vacation from all the fighting."

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Too right," says Liz. She wears a tank top, a short skirt, and sunglasses of her own, as she knew to pack clothes for a warm environment. "I brought along a swimsuit and suntan lotion in the hopes we'd get the chance to do just that. We might also check out the taverna Shauna Wilcox told me about at some point. But we do need to do some research and poking about while we're here. After we check into our hotel, we could hit up the local library. I want to look through newspapers from when Gosshamm's lot were here to find out what all the trouble was about and why the dig site was closed off. Everything I learned from Shauna and from Gosshamm's writing was rather vague on the subject."

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 am
by ghill
Malta is absolutely heaving, packed with early season holiday makers and it quickly becomes obvious that finding affordable accommodation later may be an issue. However, most of the locals seem to speak English and it doesn't take long to find the rather grand looking National Library in the centre of Valetta.
Research,OK there are nearly half a dozen English language newspapers in Malta, all of whom seem to have covered the story to some extent. About a fortnight before the professor Gossham was murdered, Professor Nils Westerlund, Professor of Archaeology at Brichester was arrested by the Maltese police for the illegal sale of artefacts from one of the University’s digs. As a result the licence for all three of the digs was suspended and the students were sent home in disgrace. The four supervising faculty members are all being questioned by the Maltese Authorities, but only Westerlund was actually arrested, he was released on bail recently (within the last two days) to appear in court sometime later in the year. Faculty and students interviewed by the newspapers all speak highly of the professor’s work. No details are given about the location of the digs, although it would appear that one or more of the digs is actually on the island of Gozo.
Malta,With a total population of around half a million people, the Maltese archipelago lies virtually at the centre of the Mediterranean, the island of Malta itself is 93km south of Sicily and 288km north of Africa. The archipelago consists of three islands: Malta, Gozo and Comino. Malta is the largest of the islands and the cultural, commercial and administrative centre. Gozo is the second largest island and is more rural, characterised by fishing, tourism, crafts and agriculture while Comino is largely uninhabited. The sheer number of archaeological sites on the Maltese Islands sets it apart from other locations in the Mediterranean whether megalithic monuments, Bronze Age dolmens, Punic tombs or the remains of Roman villas. The Maltese archipelago is home to what are thought to be the oldest free-standing buildings known to man, predating both the Pyramids in Egypt and Stonehenge in the UK. These temples are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:53 am
by Papa Gateau
Ok guys, the idea of sun, sea, sand and sangria is great but were here to do a job.

Let's get ourselves a couple of cars, so we can split into teams if necessary. We'll use different hire companies.

Might be worth finding ourselves a local guide to help us find our way around, too.

There's normally an urchin of some kind that is happy to show you the sites for a small inducement

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"We ought to visit Professor Westerlund and ask him about the expedition," says Liz. "Since he's been released from jail on bail, he can't have left Malta. We could tell him that we want to complete Professor Gosshamm's research."

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy agrees with Albert ... "We have to get a move on... if we're using the 'dodgy plastic' then it means that someone will be getting a statement and once they see that they'll query what's been going on, once that happens access to those funds will be cut off. We should enquire about the whereabouts of Westerlund and anyone else that can help us to locate the digs.. or to see any of these so called artefacts."

"Professor Westerlund may be getting assistance from the British Embassy, I can attempt to find out if that's the case... probably won't get too much out of them but they may confirm if he's still on the island and they may pass on a message to him on our behalf asking to get in touch... "

"We ought to get some maps from the tourist offices and any literature on any archaeological sites on the islands, maybe there's some info in the University digs there?"
OOC:   If the others agree... Andy will go to the Embassy.. and chance his arm - at the very least the staff should pass on a message if Westerlund contacts them. Usinf his press credentials might be a double edged sword for this task. Splitting up for a bit... Embassy and Tourist Board to gain info for the next moves.  

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:29 pm
by ghill
OOC:   From a legal standpoint Jacob says the professor may well have been released into the custody of the UK police, considering the nature of the crime and the character of the accused. On further investigation at the library you can confirm this was the case.  

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 pm
by BenTheRat
"Maybe I should hit the seedier side of town in case we need some equipment we can't buy in one of these tourist traps. Where do you want to meet back at?"
Clay asks.
ghill,I'm assuming I can probably spot a place that we could buy some guns or other illegal supplies if needed. If I find someone I'll get a price for a piece, and let them know we might need several in a hurry.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:03 pm
by ghill
BenTRat,Yes you could, but it would take you quite some time, also without introductions its fraught with risks, both from the crims and the police.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 pm
by royya
Jacob wants to know if the laws in Malta will provide him any access to some information about the case - maybe some of the information is open to the public and maybe the authors in the newspaper could be a source of information about the digs.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:45 pm
by ghill
Some quick research by Jacob simply reveals the court case is set for February next year (7 months time) and the Prof will be charged under the Antiquities (Protection) Act, Cap. 54 for the superintendence, conservation and management of cultural heritage in Malta and for matters ancillary thereto or connected therewith. Its prior to prosecution so they wont be saying anything to anyone who isn't involved in the court case.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm up for playing the tourist," offers Liz. "I'll get some maps and information on the digs."

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:47 pm
by BenTheRat
ghill,yea I know the time and risks it would take, I'm mainly looking for a contact right now. Not to do anything illegal yet. I'm thinking Clay could hit a few of the bars and dives, off of the tourist strip, looking for the right kind of element. Maybe get into a game of pool or darts (whatever game they have there.) buy someone a few beers let him win a few bucks off of me. A low level flunky. Not anyone in the upper echelon.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:46 pm
by Papa Gateau
Right, I'll get one of the cars sorted. Clay, I think that's a solid idea - see if you can get close to the local colour, maybe see if he can be our scout or guide - someone that can help us with shadier business

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:12 pm
by ghill
BenTRat,I certainly wont stop you trying, and certainly illegal guns are the cause of most homicides in Malta, so its clearly an option, realistically Clay wont be starting to look ntil later tonight.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:44 pm
by BenTheRat
ghill,sounds good
"Well might be a bit early to scope out a contact. I'll just hang with Liz for now.' Clay says.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 am
by royya
A dead end if we want to get some data from the authorities.
Jacob says
The prosecution wont be saying anything until the case will be in court February next year and it will be unwise to let the authorities know we are interested in the case as I'm concern that I will become a snoopy target to keep an eye on for them.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:30 am
by ghill
Albert has no issue with renting the cars, (a pair of Polo Foxes, both from small local companies rather than the likes of Avis or Hertz etc) although he is warned about driving on Maltese roads.

Liz's research indicates the Maltese Environmental Protection agency is responsible for the digs and almost certainly were the people responsible for bringing the prosecution. With the aid of the librarian she makes some phone calls and arranges for the details to be emailed to her - two of the digs are on the far side of the island, one is actually on the island of Gozo (smaller island in the Maltese group)

Asking directions from the same Librarian Andy gets directions to the High Commission of the United Kingdom is also in Valletta (its right on the harbour)

If we're going to split up should we grab some pre paid phones? says Greg Assuming we're going to be here for at least a couple of days shall I see if I can secure us rooms? I assume with the exception of Liz, we're all happy to share rooms?

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"No point in going to the High Comission if Westerlund isn't on the island any more... I guess we had better concentrate on the digs... "
OOC:   Andy will tag along, if we're off to the excavation site(s).  

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Phones are a good idea," says Liz, "and medical supplies. I'm not expecting trouble here, but it's best to be prepared after last time."
OOC,Where did you get that [b]Westerlund[/b] is no longer on the island? I thought he was.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm
by ghill
Westerlund,The only information you had about Westerlund was that he and other members of the Brichester University archaeology expedition had been arrested in Malta, I'm not aware of you having had any other information since? Here is everything you got about Westerlund and the incident in Malta as far as I'm aware. "Professor Westerlund has been arrested by the local police out in Malta, they say he's been selling off artifacts from one of the digs. All three of the digs have been suspended, we were all sent home on Saturday. Prof Humphries came out along with a legal bloke for the university and they got the police to release us back to the UK. But all the supervising faculty members are still there being questioned." "The thing about the digs is they're all neolithic sites, its not as though there is a market for big pieces of rocks and the sort of things which you could sell are ten a penny because you can pick them up in the fields. I reckon someone official has heard some disgruntled local and jumped to conclusions" "...as artifacts go they aren't exactly culturally significant, hauling everyone off to prison is a massive over reaction to something like that. Its a bit like someone flogging (selling) indian arrowheads or knapped flints"

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"If Westerlund's out on bail, he'd have to still be in Malta," says Liz. "If he'd skipped bail, we'd have heard something about it."

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am
by ghill
Westerlund 2,See the post by me on Jacobs behalf. Malta is part of the EU and a Schengen signatory which means Westerlund does not necessarily have to have stayed on the islands, but may well have returned to the UK (the news paper article Jacob found indicates he did indeed leave the islands, a possible reason for the hight bail cost.). The news papers do indicate that he has been a regular and long term visitor to the island which might indicate some more permanent living arrangements.
Well since last time I've been carry a bit more than my usual, I've seen some travel first aid kits and I can pad those out with everyday stuff at the pharmacists. Assuming I can find us some place to stay, I'll make up one for everyone. says Greg

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers, that should do nicely," says Liz. "All right, once we've settled in, we can make plans to gain access to the dig sites. I'd start with the two on this island."
OOC,Thanks, I hadn't realized that.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 am
by ghill
"I think you should probably start looking now." says Greg "Albert got the cars and we may spend all day looking for accommodation. Let me sort accommodation out, while you guys get going."
OOC:   There are two sites on this island - What is the plan? Go to each one after the other, split up one car each, split up and have one do Malta one take the ferry to Gozo and see the other site (there are ferries every 45 minutes)?  

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:02 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"If you don't think there will be any trouble we could split up... have a shufti at the sites here then go off to Gozo together? But... I don't mind if we stick together.. you know... just in case..."
OOC:   My vote is to stick together...  

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was thinking along those lines too," says Liz, "but you're right, we should stick together just in case. We're not in any real rush, so we can take the time to all check out one site on this island, then the other, and then take the ferry to Gozo."

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am
by royya
What about Westerlund, maybe he had a place here where he lived regulalry ? We should check it, maybe he is in there or we can find some clues over there if indeed he had a place on the island.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:23 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"We could try to track his lodgings down but I'm not sure how we;d go about that without drawing attention to ourselves.. we're really 'cut off' and 'exposed' here and ought to do all we can to remain incognito." he replies to Jacob.

"Let's head off to one site...then see if we have enough time to go to the other before we look for lodgings... maybe a hostel would do us? Only for a couple of nights after all.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Greg said he'd get us rooms while we poke about," says Liz. "I could stay at a hostel; that's what I did during my holiday in Paris, being a poor college student and all. But I wouldn't mind something a bit nicer. I'm ready to head for the first site. Whichever one is closer, I say."

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Nods in agreement ... "Then let's be off, the sooner we get started the sooner we can finish." he smiles hoping that things will not go awry.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm
by ghill
This first site is about three miles outside the Maltese Capital of Valetta. The map Liz has downloaded shows its situated at the bottom of a wooded draw, accessible by what looks to be dirt track.

When you get there you discover this is indeed the case. The top of the track has been blocked off (cement blocks chained together) and a sign clearly states (in both Maltese and English) the site is protected by Heritage Malta and trespassers will be prosecuted. The track disappears through the trees down the side of the draw and there is no obvious sign of the site from the road.
OOC:   My apologies, I really should read my notes better sites 2 & 3 are both on Gozo  

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz looks around for CCTV cameras, motion sensors, or any sign of other people around. "It doesn't look like there's anything keeping people from just climbing over," she says.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:31 am
by BenTheRat
"Then what are we waiting for?" Clay climbs over and helps anyone who looks like they need and wants help.
ooc,sorry all, I was at a game con from last Wed till last night. So out of touch.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 am
by ghill
OOC:   If there is any kind of security beyond the sign and the temporary barrier it is extremely well hidden.  
Following the track down into the shade of the wooded draw, you come across an area where the scrub and some trees at the bottom of the valley have been largely hacked back and the top layer of soil has been carefully cleared (its been piled onto plastic sheets) leaving what appears to be an apse formed by a semicircle of enormous hewn stones. Its not entirely clear, but it doesn't look as though the dig had got very far or as though any effort has been made to restore the site.

A trained archaeologist might be able to tell you something about the sight, but to the untrained eye there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about the sight.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 pm
by royya
Well, what are we looking for ? stones and a buried mosaic ?
Jacob says as he brush the ground with his shoes

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Anything resembling the symbols on the Maltese Fragments, I guess," says Liz. "It doesn't look like they got very far here before the digs were stopped. I was hoping it would already have been well excavated. I wouldn't know where to begin here."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:19 am
by BenTheRat
"No wonder there isn't any security. The other sites might be further along." Clay suggests.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 pm
by ghill
There is nothing resembling the symbols on the Maltese Fragments, at least nothing visible. Greg and Jacob scanned a number of books while they were at Brichester U and the photos they have are all of pottery fragments.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm no Indiana Jones," says Liz, "but I don't think there's anything more we can learn here. They must have found the fragments at one of the other two digs on Gozo. We might have better luck there."

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:04 am
by BenTheRat
Clay looks a little closer.
ghill,does the ground looked like it hasn't been dug at all, or dug and sifted or dug and reburied. Here is a spot hidden just in case. [dice]0[/dice]
Not seeing anything worthwhile Clay asks, "How far to the next site? Or do you want to try and dig some?"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 am
by Papa Gateau
We don't know what we're doing, I don't think we should start digging - all the tv I've seen of archeology digs they use brushes and small tools. We more likely to destroy anything we're looking for and leave a great big calling card that someones been fucking with the site - best leave as little trace of our presence as possible

Albert stands thoughtfully for a while You know what might be a good idea - we set up a hidden camera that's triggered by a motion sensor. We can come back and check the memory card every couple of days - see if anybody else is snooping around here

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:06 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy tries not to look disappointed or 'over his head' looking at the site. He's a little relieved that the others don't seem to know much more than he does. "I don't think we'll be around for long enough to traipse back here and retrieve a camera, will we?" he asks, pondering Albert's idea.

"Mind you, getting some shots might help if we haver to compare anything with the other sites..." with that he pulls out his digital-camera and motions the others to move out of the frame as he takes pictures.. "Keep back.. I don't want anyone in the pictures, less incriminating... " he grins and snaps away.

"Is there anything specific that I ought to get a close up of? he asks the group.

As he moves around the site and takes the snaps he ponders their situation... they've trespassed onto the site and for very little reward, they've not made any discoveries to help them.. but he has a nagging feeling that they've been too lax in their approach.. Fir enough he didn't expect Fort Knox .. but someone wanted this place and the others left alone...

"Albert.... your camera idea... where would you set one up?" he asks, scanning the site as he asks.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm
by BenTheRat
"What do you mean?" asked Clay. "Aren't we looking for pottery? I mean I've dug a few holes in my day, how damn hard can it be?"

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 pm
by royya
If we want to find anything that might be buried here we should buy spades and filters for the dirt unless what we look for is not little fragments but a base of a structure.
Jacob says, having no clue in the topic.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's funny, but I was looking around for cameras and motion sensors when we first got here," says Liz. "I don't know where we'd even acquire a motion sensor on Malta. We'd better not do any digging here if we don't know what we're doing, and they couldn't have found the fragments at this site. They'd barely started from the looks of it."

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:53 am
by Papa Gateau
I agree, the site looks barely started upon - but I'm no archeologist, I only know what I've seen on TimeTeam and the Discovery channel.

With regard to motion sensors - that's not a problem, if we can't get dedicated units from a camera shop, which I admit we'll be lucky out here, we can use passive infra-red aka PIR detectors - we'll be able to pick those up from any DIY type store, they're just a standard unit in DIY home security systems. They're easy enough to hook up to the remote trigger of a camera.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:34 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"I wasn't asking because I thought we might place one.. but in case anyone else has... our 'enemies' have got these site closed down, they'd want to see if anyone came snooping around... wouldn't they?" he looks around... worried at how isolated they are.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:03 pm
by Papa Gateau
Goo thinking, let's have a scout around and see if we can find anything? We can look through the memeory cards and delete any that may have us on them

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:40 pm
by BenTheRat
"no digging, got it." Clay walks around looking for anything that might pass as a hidden camera.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 am
by ghill
Half an hour of thorough looking later and Albert at least is convinced there is no type of camera or any other security device here.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we're going to find anything of interest here," says Liz. "Let's go before someone else who isn't supposed to be here finds us here."

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:42 am
by BenTheRat
"Yea, lets move to the next site. It's not supposed to be far from here is it?" Clay asks.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:01 pm
by ghill
The two cars make their way through the twisty country roads back into Valetta and the Sa Maison ferry terminal. At Sa Maison it is only a short wait in the June sun before driving onto the ferry to Gozo. The Ferry journey is only 45 minutes and shortly after 1400 both cars are parked up outside a harbour-side cafe.

There are two sites on Gozo, the first just north of the village of Ta' Ghammar. the second on the coast on the south west corner. Neither is more than about 15 minutes from the harbour (Gozo really isn't very big)

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's check the one north of the village first," suggests Liz. "It's a bit closer to civilisation, not that you can get all that far from it on an island this size."

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay nods in agreement, "Sounds like a plan, lets head out. But if we are expecting others might be visiting them also, may I suggest we park a quarter mile away and approach with a bit more stealth this time."

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:51 am
by ghill
Looking at a map shows the site is approximately 200m from the nearest road. The maps also indicates the site is accessible by foot only. Its not possible to see the site on a drive by as its hidden within an ancient Almond grove. There is a battered Renault parked at the head of the path which leads to the site. Apart from a very similar looking sign there doesn't seem to be any visible security.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:23 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Andy stretches and looks around as the gets out of the car.

"If that thing..." Andy indicates the Renault at the head of the path, "hasn't been dumped then there may be someone 'guarding' this site. We'd best take it slow and careful." Andy moves across to the other car to see if he can get an idea of how long it has been there.

"Might be a good idea for someone to stay with the car(*), they can 'honk the horn' if anyone comes by. he mimics hitting the centre of a steering wheel "and also we might need to beat a hasty retreat..." he looks pointedly at Albert "Is that leg up to a hundred yard dash mate?" he asks, concerned about having to get back to their hire car in a hurry.

OOC:   * car or cars... have we one or two?
Andy will look for obvious signs that the car has been parked and not dumped.... tyres still inflated.. occupied (for instance!)... tracks leading away from it...
Andy Wade Spot Hidden 35 / Track 10,[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:51 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Cars plural (2): Andy can't see anything obvious, but the vehicle looks parked rather than just left.  

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay looks around. "Looks like someone beat us here. Is anyone here good at sneaking about unseen. Maybe we should send someone forward to see what we are dealing with?"

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, don't look at me," says Liz. "I'm about as stealthy as Twoflower - in other words, not very. Whoever stays with the cars ought to be a good driver in case we have to leave in a hurry, so also not me." She takes a picture of the Renault in its surroundings, zooming in to make sure the license plate number is legible.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 am
by Papa Gateau
It's not my normal environment - I'm more used to sneaking around stadiums and concert venues but I can be fairly sneaky when required.

My legs healed up pretty well but I do have a noticeable limp that will make it pretty easy to pick me out later. I won't win any races but I'm pretty mobile

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:05 am
by ghill
Albert moves slowly through the shade of the Almond grove until he finds his ay blocked by a temporary wire fence, through the fence Albert can see the tumbled stones and piled earth of another dig site. Standing in the centre of the site is a young man (average height and build, dark hair) with a clipboard and camera taking photos of the site.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 am
by royya
I can stay with the car.
Jacob says

ooc - since I'll be away, it's better that Jacob will stay and you keep on playing

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert quietly climbs back to the others

Ok, there's just one chap down there - younger than me, probably closer to your ages he nods towards Liz and Clay he's taking notes and pictures. This looks more like a proper dig site, the site is protected by one of those temporary barrier fences.

I think it's probably worth having a little talk with this chap and I think I have good plan to do so without making him too nervous.

Clay lets down one of the tyres on the car - you don't need to actually puncture it, just blow the valve. Then he and I hide a little further away so we can observe and ensure that Liz is safe. The rest of you take the other car and drive a mile or so away, just out of site but make sure you have phone reception. That way you are only a minute away if we need back-up.

Liz you go down and play the damsel in distress - you've got a puncture, saw his car and came looking someone in the hope they could help you change your spare wheel. Engage in him conversation and see what you can pump out of him.

Clayand I will have you in our sight - I've got my telephoto lens with me and will click away.

How does that sound to everyone?

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Sounds like a pretty good plan, check there's a spare wheel first... these aren't roads you want to travel around on if you've got a partial flat."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 pm
by BenTheRat
"Sounds like a good plan," says Clay. "Good thinking about making sure we got a spare."
After confirming the spare is in decent shape and usable, Clay will let the air out of one of the tires.

If the spare is flat, we can change it, so the spare is on the car.
OOC:   hey guys, when you are talking please post your characters name somewhere, or refer to him. I'm in a few games and can't keep track of who everyone is. Well I could but I really don't want to spend the effort to learn everyone's name. ;)  

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good plan," says Liz. "I can certainly do that." Once everyone is in position, she walks over to the fence and waves to the man, making her eyes as big as she can. "Hullo!" she calls. "Can you please help me? My tyre has gone flat."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:25 pm
by ghill
The man looks up from his notes clearly surprised by Liz's sudden appearance.

"Hello there, if you can wait a few minutes I'm nearly finished here, then I can come and help you. Do you have a spare?" he says in strongly accented* English.

*He sounds like the few other Maltese you have spoken to.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'll gladly wait," says Liz. "I'm just relieved you're here. Yes, I've got a spare. What are you doing?" she asks with genuine interest and curiosity.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:19 am
by ghill
I catalogue these sites for Patrimonju Malta, it is the agency for museums, conservation practice and preserving Maltese culture we make sure nothing is done against the rules.

He takes another few photos and jots down some notes on his clipboard.

"There. Just about finished" He stuffs the clipboard and the camera in a small shoulder bag. "This place is very interesting you know. Quite special. If you want I can show you?" He pulls apart the fence beckoning to Liz to come through.

He points at what looks to live as just another jumble of stones. "So as you can see large parts of the site have been excavated to reveal the basic temple trefoil floor plan, which is typical for these neolithic temples. The whole complex is encircled by that outer wall, the stone is all rough hewn." He points at another jumble of stone. "see the stone? The walls would have been rising well over 5 metres in height. The main chamber is approximately 18 metres in length. You would enter the temple here and proceeds through this narrow corridor". He leads Liz over and along another line of stones" to a smaller circular chamber here. Off which three enclosed apses branch, here, here and here Points at three more jumbles of stone.

"Here is where it gets interesting. Most obvious, the apses which branch off the central chamber. These are completely domed an architectural capability well in advance of the Neolithic temple builders. Also, the interior walls are finished with carvings, of a style which is also far in advanced of anything which has ever been seen at any of the other Maltese Neolithic sites. The decorations are carved in relief and include many complicated designs. It suggests metal tools and very modern artistic appreciation" He points at what look to Liz like chicken scratchings on one of the stones.

"But this is the sites most striking feature" He leads Liz off to the far edge of the site and slightly higher up the hill side where even Liz's untrained eye can make out the remains of some colossal statue. (nothing remains except two sandalled feet, but if the statue was to scale, Liz reckons it would be 50’-60’ feet high.) if it was built at the same time as the temple it would be millennia ahead of its time. This is the sort of site which gives archaeologists nightmares. Its extraordinary! How do you explain a site like this? Publish your findings and you're as likely to be thought as insane as a genius.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wow, this is amazing!" says Liz, looking around in awe. "Was this where the Maltese Fragments were recovered?" She takes out her camera. "My friends will never believe this. Do you mind if I take some pictures?"

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 am
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

Deciding that being one mile away was a bit too far if things turned sour he stops the rental car and turns back around, pulling over just after the first bend that took them out of site of the turn-off for the archaeological site. He gets out of the car and walks forwards, finding a spot to observe without being too obvious.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:32 am
by ghill
"Maltese fragments, well there might be. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where you find evidence of the 'writing peoples'" He steps out of Liz's shot. "Please do. I'll have to hurry you up a bit though, I have another site to get to."

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:37 am
by ghill
Because the site is within the old Almond grove, Andy can't really get "eye's on" Liz without entering the grove itself. From his new vantage point he can clearly see the car park and the occasional flash of colour, which he thinks is her top from the Almond grove.
OOC:   Bear in mind there are now four of you sharing the one car - Clay, Albert, Jacob, Andy. w/Jacob driving.  

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers!" says Liz. She snaps pictures of the giant feet, the scratchings on the stone (she takes special care with this one, as it could be some form of writing), and the piles of stones that the man had pointed out to her. "There, all done. I wish I could see the next site too, especially if it's anything like this."

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 am
by ghill
"We should see to your car I think. Your welcome to tag along, the other one is probably a bit more interesting for someone like you, not like this place which isn't much to look at unless you're an archaeologist. Its over the other side of the island though.*"
OOC:   I'll need a photography roll, alternatively you get Albert in later to take photos for whom it is not even a task. Clearly the site he's talking about is not the 3rd BU site which is side of the island.  

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

The pictures Liz took don't come out quite as good as she had hoped. "Thank you, I'd like that," she says. "I don't mind the extra trip considering what I'll get to see. I'll just need to text my friends to let them know. Would it be too much to ask for them to see it too? I could have them meet us there. Well, let's get the car sorted."

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 am
by ghill
"Sure its a public site, I just have to check because some kids have apparently sprayed graffiti over some of it" He gives Liz directions to text the others again confirming a different site.

After a short while waiting, the others observe Liz and the young man leave the Almond grove and walk to the car where he starts to replace they tyre.

During the twenty minutes the man takes to change the tyre he finally introduces himself as Matthias Balbi. Tyre changed the man drives off towards the other side of the island.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Clay comes out of his hiding spot. "I didn't catch everything, but did he say something about a 3rd dig location on this island?"

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, you heard right," says Liz. "I got a tour of this site and took some pictures, but they didn't come out the best. Albert would be better at it than I am." She tells Clay (and the others when they come out) what she saw and what Matthias Balbi told her, and she shares the directions.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert

Nice work Liz. Give me a few moments and I'll take some more pictures.

We know this Matthias chap is going to the public site - why don't we get over to our other site asap whilst he's away.

Liz, you could go over to the public site and maybe try and delay Matthias if he finishes up there too soon? Buy us a bit of time.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Wasn't that research about some kind of proto-writing or language?" Andy muses.. and Andy follows Albert deeper into the almond grove.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:39 pm
by BenTheRat
"One or 2 of us should go with Liz to the site to meet this Methias guy. I wonder if its a trap? We had a list of dig sites and there were only the 3. Now all the sudden there is a fourth after Liz mentions the frangmants? I don't trust this guy." Clay adds.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm
by ghill
OOC:   The list Liz obtained was only the Brichester University dig site, there are hundreds of sites of archaeological interest on the Maltese islands, there are also other current digs. NB: Mathias gave no indication the site was anything to do with the Brichester digs, in fact he mentioned it was a public site of which you have seen several already when driving around the islands. Its good to be paranoid, but ...  

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:35 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Thats what I get for running too much Paranoia. And I still don't trust him. ;)  

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"There were what looked like chicken scratches on one of the stones," Liz calls after Albert. "That could be writing. Be sure to get a good shot of that one." Liz then turns back to look at Clay. "I think if he was going to try anything, he'd have already done it when he thought I was alone with him. Anyway, I told him I'm texting my friends and that they're going to join me there, so I could go on ahead and let him know that you're either on your way or will take a bit getting there, depending on how we want to play this. Perhaps two of you can get dropped off at the third site nearby while the others catch up with me later. I never said how many friends I have, just that there's more than one."

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 am
by royya
So there are public sites and non public sites. The two we wanted to search are sites not open to the public, thus, sites that were barely touched and are in some state of digging. There could be evidence around them that the archaeological party didn't excavated yet.
Jacob says

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 am
by ghill
OOC:   Its worth noting that all the Brichester Uni sites were 'closed' at short notice due to allegations of antiquity theft. None of the sites were as far as you know completed and therefore open to the public. You would not expect the public to wander around a dig site in progress, without some precautions to prevent accidental damage. OTOH neither of the two sites seem to be on public land, which would also determine whether they were open to the public.  

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm
by Papa Gateau
Albert reappears from the dig site

Ok, I've shot everything down there and got some good close-ups of those marks you mentioned Liz.

So what's the plan? Who's heading where. I'm happy to head to the other closed site and put my photography to good use again but I'm also just as happy to go to the public site and do the tourist thing with the lovely Liz and put my photography skills to good use again

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:54 pm
by BenTheRat
"Ok, we should probably get moving then." Clay says. "I'll go with Liz, I don't trust this guy."

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 am
by ghill
OOC:   OK so to confirm CAR 1 - Clay, LIz goes to meet Methias. CAR 2 - Albert, Andy, Jacob go to the third Brichester University dig site.  

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm
by carnage_lee
Andy Wade

"Remember to be on the look out for trouble.... also try to find any differences in the sites, it stands to reason that 'our friends' are interested in them for some reason - maybe something will stand out." Andy says to everyone just before he gets into the car.
'The real conundrum is what does a bunch of violent gangsters have to do with ancient peoples and archaeological sites... I can't fathom a link to smuggling thinking:   maybe it's the locations that are sensitive to them... better look at a map later on..."  

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:11 am
by royya
Jacob drives to the next site

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 am
by ghill
Andy, Jacob and Albert drive off in this direction

Liz and Clay drive off in this direction