CH2-07 Arrival Malta

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CH2-7 Arrival Malta

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Phones are a good idea," says Liz, "and medical supplies. I'm not expecting trouble here, but it's best to be prepared after last time."
OOC,Where did you get that [b]Westerlund[/b] is no longer on the island? I thought he was.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Westerlund,The only information you had about Westerlund was that he and other members of the Brichester University archaeology expedition had been arrested in Malta, I'm not aware of you having had any other information since? Here is everything you got about Westerlund and the incident in Malta as far as I'm aware. "Professor Westerlund has been arrested by the local police out in Malta, they say he's been selling off artifacts from one of the digs. All three of the digs have been suspended, we were all sent home on Saturday. Prof Humphries came out along with a legal bloke for the university and they got the police to release us back to the UK. But all the supervising faculty members are still there being questioned." "The thing about the digs is they're all neolithic sites, its not as though there is a market for big pieces of rocks and the sort of things which you could sell are ten a penny because you can pick them up in the fields. I reckon someone official has heard some disgruntled local and jumped to conclusions" "...as artifacts go they aren't exactly culturally significant, hauling everyone off to prison is a massive over reaction to something like that. Its a bit like someone flogging (selling) indian arrowheads or knapped flints"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If Westerlund's out on bail, he'd have to still be in Malta," says Liz. "If he'd skipped bail, we'd have heard something about it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Westerlund 2,See the post by me on Jacobs behalf. Malta is part of the EU and a Schengen signatory which means Westerlund does not necessarily have to have stayed on the islands, but may well have returned to the UK (the news paper article Jacob found indicates he did indeed leave the islands, a possible reason for the hight bail cost.). The news papers do indicate that he has been a regular and long term visitor to the island which might indicate some more permanent living arrangements.
Well since last time I've been carry a bit more than my usual, I've seen some travel first aid kits and I can pad those out with everyday stuff at the pharmacists. Assuming I can find us some place to stay, I'll make up one for everyone. says Greg
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers, that should do nicely," says Liz. "All right, once we've settled in, we can make plans to gain access to the dig sites. I'd start with the two on this island."
OOC,Thanks, I hadn't realized that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"I think you should probably start looking now." says Greg "Albert got the cars and we may spend all day looking for accommodation. Let me sort accommodation out, while you guys get going."
OOC:   There are two sites on this island - What is the plan? Go to each one after the other, split up one car each, split up and have one do Malta one take the ferry to Gozo and see the other site (there are ferries every 45 minutes)?  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"If you don't think there will be any trouble we could split up... have a shufti at the sites here then go off to Gozo together? But... I don't mind if we stick together.. you know... just in case..."
OOC:   My vote is to stick together...  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I was thinking along those lines too," says Liz, "but you're right, we should stick together just in case. We're not in any real rush, so we can take the time to all check out one site on this island, then the other, and then take the ferry to Gozo."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

What about Westerlund, maybe he had a place here where he lived regulalry ? We should check it, maybe he is in there or we can find some clues over there if indeed he had a place on the island.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"We could try to track his lodgings down but I'm not sure how we;d go about that without drawing attention to ourselves.. we're really 'cut off' and 'exposed' here and ought to do all we can to remain incognito." he replies to Jacob.

"Let's head off to one site...then see if we have enough time to go to the other before we look for lodgings... maybe a hostel would do us? Only for a couple of nights after all.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Greg said he'd get us rooms while we poke about," says Liz. "I could stay at a hostel; that's what I did during my holiday in Paris, being a poor college student and all. But I wouldn't mind something a bit nicer. I'm ready to head for the first site. Whichever one is closer, I say."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Nods in agreement ... "Then let's be off, the sooner we get started the sooner we can finish." he smiles hoping that things will not go awry.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

This first site is about three miles outside the Maltese Capital of Valetta. The map Liz has downloaded shows its situated at the bottom of a wooded draw, accessible by what looks to be dirt track.

When you get there you discover this is indeed the case. The top of the track has been blocked off (cement blocks chained together) and a sign clearly states (in both Maltese and English) the site is protected by Heritage Malta and trespassers will be prosecuted. The track disappears through the trees down the side of the draw and there is no obvious sign of the site from the road.
OOC:   My apologies, I really should read my notes better sites 2 & 3 are both on Gozo  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz looks around for CCTV cameras, motion sensors, or any sign of other people around. "It doesn't look like there's anything keeping people from just climbing over," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Then what are we waiting for?" Clay climbs over and helps anyone who looks like they need and wants help.
ooc,sorry all, I was at a game con from last Wed till last night. So out of touch.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   If there is any kind of security beyond the sign and the temporary barrier it is extremely well hidden.  
Following the track down into the shade of the wooded draw, you come across an area where the scrub and some trees at the bottom of the valley have been largely hacked back and the top layer of soil has been carefully cleared (its been piled onto plastic sheets) leaving what appears to be an apse formed by a semicircle of enormous hewn stones. Its not entirely clear, but it doesn't look as though the dig had got very far or as though any effort has been made to restore the site.

A trained archaeologist might be able to tell you something about the sight, but to the untrained eye there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about the sight.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Well, what are we looking for ? stones and a buried mosaic ?
Jacob says as he brush the ground with his shoes
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Anything resembling the symbols on the Maltese Fragments, I guess," says Liz. "It doesn't look like they got very far here before the digs were stopped. I was hoping it would already have been well excavated. I wouldn't know where to begin here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"No wonder there isn't any security. The other sites might be further along." Clay suggests.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

There is nothing resembling the symbols on the Maltese Fragments, at least nothing visible. Greg and Jacob scanned a number of books while they were at Brichester U and the photos they have are all of pottery fragments.

Return to “Watch the World Burn”