CH2-07 Arrival Malta

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH2-7 Arrival Malta

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay looks around. "Looks like someone beat us here. Is anyone here good at sneaking about unseen. Maybe we should send someone forward to see what we are dealing with?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, don't look at me," says Liz. "I'm about as stealthy as Twoflower - in other words, not very. Whoever stays with the cars ought to be a good driver in case we have to leave in a hurry, so also not me." She takes a picture of the Renault in its surroundings, zooming in to make sure the license plate number is legible.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

It's not my normal environment - I'm more used to sneaking around stadiums and concert venues but I can be fairly sneaky when required.

My legs healed up pretty well but I do have a noticeable limp that will make it pretty easy to pick me out later. I won't win any races but I'm pretty mobile
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Albert moves slowly through the shade of the Almond grove until he finds his ay blocked by a temporary wire fence, through the fence Albert can see the tumbled stones and piled earth of another dig site. Standing in the centre of the site is a young man (average height and build, dark hair) with a clipboard and camera taking photos of the site.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

I can stay with the car.
Jacob says

ooc - since I'll be away, it's better that Jacob will stay and you keep on playing
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert quietly climbs back to the others

Ok, there's just one chap down there - younger than me, probably closer to your ages he nods towards Liz and Clay he's taking notes and pictures. This looks more like a proper dig site, the site is protected by one of those temporary barrier fences.

I think it's probably worth having a little talk with this chap and I think I have good plan to do so without making him too nervous.

Clay lets down one of the tyres on the car - you don't need to actually puncture it, just blow the valve. Then he and I hide a little further away so we can observe and ensure that Liz is safe. The rest of you take the other car and drive a mile or so away, just out of site but make sure you have phone reception. That way you are only a minute away if we need back-up.

Liz you go down and play the damsel in distress - you've got a puncture, saw his car and came looking someone in the hope they could help you change your spare wheel. Engage in him conversation and see what you can pump out of him.

Clayand I will have you in our sight - I've got my telephoto lens with me and will click away.

How does that sound to everyone?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"Sounds like a pretty good plan, check there's a spare wheel first... these aren't roads you want to travel around on if you've got a partial flat."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

"Sounds like a good plan," says Clay. "Good thinking about making sure we got a spare."
After confirming the spare is in decent shape and usable, Clay will let the air out of one of the tires.

If the spare is flat, we can change it, so the spare is on the car.
OOC:   hey guys, when you are talking please post your characters name somewhere, or refer to him. I'm in a few games and can't keep track of who everyone is. Well I could but I really don't want to spend the effort to learn everyone's name. ;)  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good plan," says Liz. "I can certainly do that." Once everyone is in position, she walks over to the fence and waves to the man, making her eyes as big as she can. "Hullo!" she calls. "Can you please help me? My tyre has gone flat."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The man looks up from his notes clearly surprised by Liz's sudden appearance.

"Hello there, if you can wait a few minutes I'm nearly finished here, then I can come and help you. Do you have a spare?" he says in strongly accented* English.

*He sounds like the few other Maltese you have spoken to.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, I'll gladly wait," says Liz. "I'm just relieved you're here. Yes, I've got a spare. What are you doing?" she asks with genuine interest and curiosity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I catalogue these sites for Patrimonju Malta, it is the agency for museums, conservation practice and preserving Maltese culture we make sure nothing is done against the rules.

He takes another few photos and jots down some notes on his clipboard.

"There. Just about finished" He stuffs the clipboard and the camera in a small shoulder bag. "This place is very interesting you know. Quite special. If you want I can show you?" He pulls apart the fence beckoning to Liz to come through.

He points at what looks to live as just another jumble of stones. "So as you can see large parts of the site have been excavated to reveal the basic temple trefoil floor plan, which is typical for these neolithic temples. The whole complex is encircled by that outer wall, the stone is all rough hewn." He points at another jumble of stone. "see the stone? The walls would have been rising well over 5 metres in height. The main chamber is approximately 18 metres in length. You would enter the temple here and proceeds through this narrow corridor". He leads Liz over and along another line of stones" to a smaller circular chamber here. Off which three enclosed apses branch, here, here and here Points at three more jumbles of stone.

"Here is where it gets interesting. Most obvious, the apses which branch off the central chamber. These are completely domed an architectural capability well in advance of the Neolithic temple builders. Also, the interior walls are finished with carvings, of a style which is also far in advanced of anything which has ever been seen at any of the other Maltese Neolithic sites. The decorations are carved in relief and include many complicated designs. It suggests metal tools and very modern artistic appreciation" He points at what look to Liz like chicken scratchings on one of the stones.

"But this is the sites most striking feature" He leads Liz off to the far edge of the site and slightly higher up the hill side where even Liz's untrained eye can make out the remains of some colossal statue. (nothing remains except two sandalled feet, but if the statue was to scale, Liz reckons it would be 50’-60’ feet high.) if it was built at the same time as the temple it would be millennia ahead of its time. This is the sort of site which gives archaeologists nightmares. Its extraordinary! How do you explain a site like this? Publish your findings and you're as likely to be thought as insane as a genius.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Wow, this is amazing!" says Liz, looking around in awe. "Was this where the Maltese Fragments were recovered?" She takes out her camera. "My friends will never believe this. Do you mind if I take some pictures?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Deciding that being one mile away was a bit too far if things turned sour he stops the rental car and turns back around, pulling over just after the first bend that took them out of site of the turn-off for the archaeological site. He gets out of the car and walks forwards, finding a spot to observe without being too obvious.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Maltese fragments, well there might be. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where you find evidence of the 'writing peoples'" He steps out of Liz's shot. "Please do. I'll have to hurry you up a bit though, I have another site to get to."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Because the site is within the old Almond grove, Andy can't really get "eye's on" Liz without entering the grove itself. From his new vantage point he can clearly see the car park and the occasional flash of colour, which he thinks is her top from the Almond grove.
OOC:   Bear in mind there are now four of you sharing the one car - Clay, Albert, Jacob, Andy. w/Jacob driving.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers!" says Liz. She snaps pictures of the giant feet, the scratchings on the stone (she takes special care with this one, as it could be some form of writing), and the piles of stones that the man had pointed out to her. "There, all done. I wish I could see the next site too, especially if it's anything like this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"We should see to your car I think. Your welcome to tag along, the other one is probably a bit more interesting for someone like you, not like this place which isn't much to look at unless you're an archaeologist. Its over the other side of the island though.*"
OOC:   I'll need a photography roll, alternatively you get Albert in later to take photos for whom it is not even a task. Clearly the site he's talking about is not the 3rd BU site which is side of the island.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The pictures Liz took don't come out quite as good as she had hoped. "Thank you, I'd like that," she says. "I don't mind the extra trip considering what I'll get to see. I'll just need to text my friends to let them know. Would it be too much to ask for them to see it too? I could have them meet us there. Well, let's get the car sorted."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Sure its a public site, I just have to check because some kids have apparently sprayed graffiti over some of it" He gives Liz directions to text the others again confirming a different site.

After a short while waiting, the others observe Liz and the young man leave the Almond grove and walk to the car where he starts to replace they tyre.

During the twenty minutes the man takes to change the tyre he finally introduces himself as Matthias Balbi. Tyre changed the man drives off towards the other side of the island.

Return to “Watch the World Burn”