CH2-07 Arrival Malta

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH2-07 Arrival Malta

Post by ghill »

Its a comfortable 23°C(73°F) as you stand on the pavement outside the front of Malta International's arrival terminal.

Greg puts on a pair of sun glasses "OK so we are here, now what?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: CH2-7 Arrival Malta

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay stretches his arms out in the warm Mediterainian sun. "Now I could get use to this. What do you say we hit the beach at least once while we are here? We could use a vacation from all the fighting."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Too right," says Liz. She wears a tank top, a short skirt, and sunglasses of her own, as she knew to pack clothes for a warm environment. "I brought along a swimsuit and suntan lotion in the hopes we'd get the chance to do just that. We might also check out the taverna Shauna Wilcox told me about at some point. But we do need to do some research and poking about while we're here. After we check into our hotel, we could hit up the local library. I want to look through newspapers from when Gosshamm's lot were here to find out what all the trouble was about and why the dig site was closed off. Everything I learned from Shauna and from Gosshamm's writing was rather vague on the subject."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Malta is absolutely heaving, packed with early season holiday makers and it quickly becomes obvious that finding affordable accommodation later may be an issue. However, most of the locals seem to speak English and it doesn't take long to find the rather grand looking National Library in the centre of Valetta.
Research,OK there are nearly half a dozen English language newspapers in Malta, all of whom seem to have covered the story to some extent. About a fortnight before the professor Gossham was murdered, Professor Nils Westerlund, Professor of Archaeology at Brichester was arrested by the Maltese police for the illegal sale of artefacts from one of the University’s digs. As a result the licence for all three of the digs was suspended and the students were sent home in disgrace. The four supervising faculty members are all being questioned by the Maltese Authorities, but only Westerlund was actually arrested, he was released on bail recently (within the last two days) to appear in court sometime later in the year. Faculty and students interviewed by the newspapers all speak highly of the professor’s work. No details are given about the location of the digs, although it would appear that one or more of the digs is actually on the island of Gozo.
Malta,With a total population of around half a million people, the Maltese archipelago lies virtually at the centre of the Mediterranean, the island of Malta itself is 93km south of Sicily and 288km north of Africa. The archipelago consists of three islands: Malta, Gozo and Comino. Malta is the largest of the islands and the cultural, commercial and administrative centre. Gozo is the second largest island and is more rural, characterised by fishing, tourism, crafts and agriculture while Comino is largely uninhabited. The sheer number of archaeological sites on the Maltese Islands sets it apart from other locations in the Mediterranean whether megalithic monuments, Bronze Age dolmens, Punic tombs or the remains of Roman villas. The Maltese archipelago is home to what are thought to be the oldest free-standing buildings known to man, predating both the Pyramids in Egypt and Stonehenge in the UK. These temples are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Ok guys, the idea of sun, sea, sand and sangria is great but were here to do a job.

Let's get ourselves a couple of cars, so we can split into teams if necessary. We'll use different hire companies.

Might be worth finding ourselves a local guide to help us find our way around, too.

There's normally an urchin of some kind that is happy to show you the sites for a small inducement
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We ought to visit Professor Westerlund and ask him about the expedition," says Liz. "Since he's been released from jail on bail, he can't have left Malta. We could tell him that we want to complete Professor Gosshamm's research."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

Andy agrees with Albert ... "We have to get a move on... if we're using the 'dodgy plastic' then it means that someone will be getting a statement and once they see that they'll query what's been going on, once that happens access to those funds will be cut off. We should enquire about the whereabouts of Westerlund and anyone else that can help us to locate the digs.. or to see any of these so called artefacts."

"Professor Westerlund may be getting assistance from the British Embassy, I can attempt to find out if that's the case... probably won't get too much out of them but they may confirm if he's still on the island and they may pass on a message to him on our behalf asking to get in touch... "

"We ought to get some maps from the tourist offices and any literature on any archaeological sites on the islands, maybe there's some info in the University digs there?"
OOC:   If the others agree... Andy will go to the Embassy.. and chance his arm - at the very least the staff should pass on a message if Westerlund contacts them. Usinf his press credentials might be a double edged sword for this task. Splitting up for a bit... Embassy and Tourist Board to gain info for the next moves.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   From a legal standpoint Jacob says the professor may well have been released into the custody of the UK police, considering the nature of the crime and the character of the accused. On further investigation at the library you can confirm this was the case.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Maybe I should hit the seedier side of town in case we need some equipment we can't buy in one of these tourist traps. Where do you want to meet back at?"
Clay asks.
ghill,I'm assuming I can probably spot a place that we could buy some guns or other illegal supplies if needed. If I find someone I'll get a price for a piece, and let them know we might need several in a hurry.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

BenTRat,Yes you could, but it would take you quite some time, also without introductions its fraught with risks, both from the crims and the police.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Jacob wants to know if the laws in Malta will provide him any access to some information about the case - maybe some of the information is open to the public and maybe the authors in the newspaper could be a source of information about the digs.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Some quick research by Jacob simply reveals the court case is set for February next year (7 months time) and the Prof will be charged under the Antiquities (Protection) Act, Cap. 54 for the superintendence, conservation and management of cultural heritage in Malta and for matters ancillary thereto or connected therewith. Its prior to prosecution so they wont be saying anything to anyone who isn't involved in the court case.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm up for playing the tourist," offers Liz. "I'll get some maps and information on the digs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ghill,yea I know the time and risks it would take, I'm mainly looking for a contact right now. Not to do anything illegal yet. I'm thinking Clay could hit a few of the bars and dives, off of the tourist strip, looking for the right kind of element. Maybe get into a game of pool or darts (whatever game they have there.) buy someone a few beers let him win a few bucks off of me. A low level flunky. Not anyone in the upper echelon.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Right, I'll get one of the cars sorted. Clay, I think that's a solid idea - see if you can get close to the local colour, maybe see if he can be our scout or guide - someone that can help us with shadier business
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

BenTRat,I certainly wont stop you trying, and certainly illegal guns are the cause of most homicides in Malta, so its clearly an option, realistically Clay wont be starting to look ntil later tonight.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

ghill,sounds good
"Well might be a bit early to scope out a contact. I'll just hang with Liz for now.' Clay says.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

A dead end if we want to get some data from the authorities.
Jacob says
The prosecution wont be saying anything until the case will be in court February next year and it will be unwise to let the authorities know we are interested in the case as I'm concern that I will become a snoopy target to keep an eye on for them.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Albert has no issue with renting the cars, (a pair of Polo Foxes, both from small local companies rather than the likes of Avis or Hertz etc) although he is warned about driving on Maltese roads.

Liz's research indicates the Maltese Environmental Protection agency is responsible for the digs and almost certainly were the people responsible for bringing the prosecution. With the aid of the librarian she makes some phone calls and arranges for the details to be emailed to her - two of the digs are on the far side of the island, one is actually on the island of Gozo (smaller island in the Maltese group)

Asking directions from the same Librarian Andy gets directions to the High Commission of the United Kingdom is also in Valletta (its right on the harbour)

If we're going to split up should we grab some pre paid phones? says Greg Assuming we're going to be here for at least a couple of days shall I see if I can secure us rooms? I assume with the exception of Liz, we're all happy to share rooms?
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Andy Wade

"No point in going to the High Comission if Westerlund isn't on the island any more... I guess we had better concentrate on the digs... "
OOC:   Andy will tag along, if we're off to the excavation site(s).  

Return to “Watch the World Burn”