CH2-2f The IT Crowd.

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH2-2f The IT Crowd.

Post by ghill »

if the sign on the wall is anything to go by Campus IT Services are run by run by a Mr R Linehan and his staff of gophers. Hidden at the end of a long corridor in the basement of the School of IT building, their workshop is easy to miss. Most of the signage and the doors are hidden behind rows of cages full of retired or broken IT junk.

Sitting at the end of the corridor it doesn't take long to determine that Roy’s team consists of 3 permanent members of staff and a handful of part time nerds and hangers on. That there office hours are Mon-Fri 0900-1700 (closed for lunch)

Clay seems particularly happy, noting the lock on the workshop door can be easily forced and there is no indication that university security does more than check the external doors and make sure no windows are left open.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Re: The IT Crowd.

Post by royya »

I'll watch the corridor.
Jacob says
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This is familiar territory for me," says Liz. "I don't actually repair hardware, but I work in a computer lab on campus and help people with software issues. It's nice because the time I'm not busy helping someone is mine. Perfect for getting my coursework done - or goofing off on the Internet. Well, looks like we'll have no trouble in the evening. Would be better to pick the lock if possible rather than force it. That way nobody knows anyone was ever here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Clay looks a bit sheepish "picking locks isn't really my strong point, but we can give it a go"

Do we have a plan?,Guys,Clay has outlined a plan anyone want to add to it or detail it for me. Its early afternoon at the moment, you have at least 3 hours until the IT Services closes for the day and hanging around waiting for it to close may arouse suspicion. NB: I'm happy to forward wind a few hours if you have nothing else you wish to do.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's go gather what we'll need and change into more appropriate clothes for what we'll be doing," suggests Liz. "I'll need to bring my laptop and the EHD. It'll probably take some time to backup the entire hard drive, depending on how much is stored on it. If it's not too much, I can copy it to a flash drive instead. I'll bring a network cable to hook the two computers up in case the screen's still on the fritz. I've got the work order number memorized, which should help me find it fast. Once you get me inside, I can do the rest. Anyone else who comes along can stand watch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: CH2-2f The IT Crowd.

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg checks up and down the corridor for any signs of cameras and good places to hide. He feels that these things may be very important later and makes mental notes of the location of each. Then he faces Liz and says "I believe you're correct. 1 hour does not seem like enough time to do what we need to do especially covertly like we want."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps I'd best leave my laptop behind," says Liz. "It's a bit bulky and would only get in the way and be conspicuous. There are other monitors here, and I could always hook the computer up to one of them if need be."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg can't seen any CCTV cameras, and the length of the corridor is cluttered with cages* full of old IT gear of one kind or another so much so that from the top of the corridor you cant actually see the door to the IT services workshop.

*cages - Imagine the sort of things you see at Walmart or similar supermarkets for moving stock around. Basicaly, its a trolley with high sides to stop stuff falling off them when its been piled high.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"With all this clutter, at least it should be easy to hide from view if need be. I wonder if it's just over-stocked gear, or outdated stuff they hadn't discarded yet?" Greg took a gander at some of the items in the roll-around racks of equipment to see what sort of stuff they were stacking outside of safe-keeping.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

As far as Greg can tell its all outdated or useless/broken gear
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg shook his head, "You'd think they'd recycle all this crap, or donate it... or at least throw it away so it wasn't cluttering up the place." He shrugged then, rather indifferently, "Not my business." Looking to the others, he asked, "Shall we depart then?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right, let's go," says Liz. "I'll bring my laptop after all. It would take a while to sort out the merely obsolete monitors from the broken ones, assuming there even are any."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The Profs house,if anyone wants to investigate the profs house (as mentioned in the OOC thread) while events unfold, here they should head over to [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=4418&p=147408#p147408]here[/url]
Fast forward,Unless anyone has any specific needs shall we fast forward? Those who intend to stay and break in will need to tell me where they are going to hide while the building is locked up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Okay. Is there a bathroom in this building open to the public where we could try to hide shortly before closing time? Or could we get access to the cages without being noticed to hide amongst the gear? Otherwise, if we're not going to try to hide inside the building (thus bypassing the lock), why hide here at all? Why not just hang out somewhere else until it's dark and then come back after everyone is gone?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Hiding places,Clay's suggestion was hide out in the public toilets of which you've seen one each on each floor. Additionally hiding behind the cages is also a good idea - actually it might be a better idea as you have no idea how thorough a check of the building campus security do, but moving all the cages to check there is no one there seems unlikely.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay says, "Lets go get your laptop and crap you need. Then lets just hide behind the racks here. Should be safe enough. I'll grab what I need to get in." Leaving it kind of vague as to if I'm going to pick the lock or just force it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds like a plan," says Liz, nodding. "We should change our clothes too. I'll wear all black, because it's fashionable. Oh, and it'll make us harder to see. Gloves as well, so we don't mess the place up with our smudgy fingerprints."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Sounds good, lets also use the Bluetooth things, so we can talk without yelling. " Clay continued,

"Lets split up when we hide, if you get caught, call it a sorority prank, go out, and the other can let the one caught back in. And call me Joe, if you must use a name. With just 2 of us on the line, we shouldn't need to."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says Liz. "And you can call me Chloe." She has used the name of the computer whiz from 24 as an alias before, but nobody outside their group is likely to draw the connection.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC,I think we are ready to go when ghill gives the ok. All I have besides the phone, gloves, and black clothes is a bar to help me with the lock. I have no delusions of picking it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Watch the World Burn”