CH2-2f The IT Crowd.

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CH2-2f The IT Crowd.

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz carefully moves the half of the stack above the professor's laptop aside. Then she places the one she wants on the bench, opens it up, and powers it on, looking to see if the screen is working.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

The laptop's screen is badly cracked however there are a number of available monitors and it is a moments work to hook it up to one of the monitors on the workbench.

OOC: Liz - Cracking the laptop,two separate [b]Computer Use[/b] rolls are required to get past the laptop’s security before they can access the machine. The first for the power on password, the second for the user logon. Each of these will take you 15 minutes per attempt.
OOC: Albert,Its pretty clear to Albert that Liz is doing something with the laptops - she's not one of the blokes who normally work in the workshop (they are all male nerds) - so she really probably shouldn't be unless she has good reason.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert looks up and observes the young woman moving the laptops around

"Err..miss, Chloe wasn't it? What exactly is it you are doing in the lab? Those laptops are college property and I don't believe that you are a lab technician, I know all of Roy's boys."

He pauses before continuing

"Actually, now I come to think about, I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen either of you on campus before, do you have your student id cards to hand?"

Taking his mobile phone from his pocket he says "Maybe I should give Roy a call..."
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay speaks up, "Its a big campus, don't think I've ever seen you before. Listen our professor asked to grab a couple files off his computer he needs for some research, no big deal then we are out of your hair. No need for getting all hall monitor on us."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

"That's as may be but I'd still like to see your student id cards and also to know your professor's name?"

Finding Roy's number in his phone, his thumb hovers over the dial button.

If you really need these files tonight, then I suggest we clear it with Roy, he is, after all, responsible for the equipment that has been checked in here. He is also responsible for network and IT security - so I am sure that he will be more than interested to know that one of the professors is handing out passwords to his students"

Albert pauses and takes a couple of steps towards Chloe

"So then, let's see your passes...

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay steps between Albert and Cloe(Liz). I'd like to intimidate him with my size 16 over him. "Yea we played this long enough."
Then in a very slow calm voice, "Albert, you are going to put the phone away, you aren't going to call anyone."

Then over to Liz, "Get what you need Cloe, we aren't going to have any trouble from this guy."
Then back at Albert. "What we are doing is important, we are investigating the professors death, and we need the info on his laptop before it is lost. You can help us, or get out of the way, but we aren't leaving without the files."
Clay looks at the photos being printed out, "And a couple of these photo printouts might be extremely useful as well. What do you think Cloe?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

"Ah, so now we reveal our true colours eh?" Albert continues, completely unfazed by Joe pushing into his personal space.

"Scratch the surface and see the truth revealed beneath, huh?." he turns to Chloe "So you're the brains and this is the meat" he jerks a thumb at Joe.

"Right, so you are investigating the professor's death. Strangely, I don't quite buy that. I don't think you're here to recover any files from the professors computer before it's lost, in fact, I think you're here to ensure that those files are lost for good! The question is, are you on the side of the butchers that did for that poor man or do your motives lie elsewhere?"

"So miss...whoever you may be.. why don't you just step away from that computer, put cro-magnon here back on his leash and tell me exactly what is going on down here."
OOC (keeper's eyes),I want to hit #1 on the keypad of my phone which is the fast-dial to home so that my answerphone can record the ensuing conversation. As my thumb is already on the on the green call button, I'm hoping that this should be almost undetectable by either Liz or Clay - let me know what roll I need to make

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"This meat is about to go Cro-Magnum on your ass. I don't really care what you buy or don't. We aren't here to destroy anything, just make a copy. No one would have even known we were here if it weren't for you. Keep working Chloe."
Clay makes a fists that crack his knuckles.
OOC Seeker only,if he does anything sudden, I go for the knockout punch.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Easy there, big guy," says Liz, waving a hand in a calming gesture. "Let's put violence in the happy box." She smiles at Albert. "I assure you, we are investigating the professor's murder to bring his killers to justice. Unless Joe here gets his hands on them before I do, in which case they very well might end up dead - which would be justice of a sort. We have reason to believe that an Albanian organised crime outfit is responsible, led by a known terrorist." She points to the old man in the photograph, if he's visible. "That chap, right there. He is responsible for multiple murders, arsons, kidnappings, and child abuse in London last month. He went to ground after that, but now he's resurfaced here to kill Professor Gosshamm. We're still not sure why, but it may have to do with his latest research. That's why we need to get access to his computer." She shows him her external hard drive. "I've brought this EHD to copy all the data from the prof's hard drive. I wouldn't have bothered bringing it if I'd intended to delete everything. It shouldn't take me more than an hour to get at the data I need, and then we'll put everything back just the way we found it. Nobody was even supposed to know we were here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

PHOTOGRAPHS,The photographs are of the murder scene, not the murder. No one is visible in the photographs except the prof's corpse.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert gives Joe a look of utter disdain and condescension, he is totally unfazed by his looming presence.

"There, there, be a good little knucklehead and get out of my face so that I can speak with your lady boss over there!" he waves a hand at Joe dismissively and turns back to face Chloe.

"Right then missy, it seems we are getting closer to the truth, but I still fear we aren't quite there yet. By what authority are you investigating the Professor's murder? You're obviously not the police, so before we continue with your little charade let's try a little more honesty. We'll start with your real names and who you're working for. Oh and I would stop tinkering with that laptop if I were you - Roy takes his system security very seriously, too many wrong sign-on attempts will lock the laptop down and it can then only be unlocked by the network super-admin, which would be Roy "

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Oh thats it," I go for the knockout.
OOC,Punch = 70%, I can't roll from work, so if someone would be so kind. ;) Sorry Papa.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Perhaps its Albert's short stature but Clay's jab misses by a hair's breadth in fact its so close as to look almost intentional on Clay's part.
BLUE on BLUE,While I appreciate all this is in character, I'd rather not have one PC kill another quite yet.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Albert gives Joe a withering a look, the goon has just swung and missed at a man twice his age and half his size.

"Really? Miss, please get your pet under control so that we might converse like adults, maybe he needs to sit on the naughty step or something but I think you and I have things discuss that are probably a little taxing for his little brain...so, would you care to answer my questions?"
OOC,nah it's all good in character fun!

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Oh, is it adult to call people names little shorty nosey man," obviously lacking in some of the finer verbal skills. "You need to stop now or next time I won't miss, I don't care how old you are.".
OOC,yea I didn't really want to hurt him which is why I tried the knockout punch. And not a damaging punch. But seriously, thats a ballsy 42 year old whos about 5'8" to talk that way to someone about 6'6" and obviously a gang member. I was just trying to stay in character. If I was really in character I'd keep swinging. ;)
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cool it with the testosterone, please," says Liz, placing a hand on Clay's arm. She has to reach up to do it since he's so much taller than her. She nods to Albert. "All right, I'll level with you. We're all on the same side here. As you surmised, the name Chloe O'Brian is an alias. She's a character from the American television programme '24,' a computer whiz working for the fictitious Counter Terrorism Unit. I'm a bit like her. My mate here takes more after Jack Bauer. My real name is Liz. Liz Penhaligon. We don't work for anyone. Our interest in this case is a personal one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

In character,Ben's right. People with his background don't typically leave it at one punch, he'd be all over Albert like a rash, typically the fights not over until you've kerbstomped the guy. BTW, in case you are wondering the die roll was/is entirely legit had it fell the other way you I would have you all work with the consequences
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"What the hell Liz," Clay looks a bit flustered, "Grandpa here is going to turn us in now." I poke Albert hard in the chest, not enough to damage but enough to make a point. "You better learn some manners old man and curb your attitude some." Then I'll step back so he doesn't feel like he has to be the tough guy back.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

"Yes, yes Albert says impatiently "now get back in your box"

He turns to Liz "Right then Liz, now we're getting somewhere, making progress eh? So let's see if I have everything straight. You believe that Professor Gossham was killed by organised crime goons on the orders of some Albanian Don Corleone. You think that there may be something on the professor's hard drive that will link him to said mafia boss or provide a motive for the hit. Thus you find yourselves on the wrong side of the law trying to purloin the data on his drive. It's a bit of luck for you that I'm down here and the door was open, otherwise you would have breaking and entering on your rap-sheet as well data theft."

"I'm still to be convinced that you are working for purely personal motives but stranger things have happened and that may be truth. Still I'm sure it will come out in the wash'

He pauses for a moment, musing, coming to a decision "Here's what we are going to do. I'm going to give you an hour to do what you came here to do" he points at the laptop "whilst you're doing that, why don't you tell me all about your investigations and how and what you know about Albanian mobsters, why you think they are responsible for the professor's murder and why the personal interest in this rather gruesome murder"

He turns to Joe Right. I'm going to lock the door. If I am to be party to these illegal events, I'd rather we are left undisturbed by unwanted visitors, unlike you I don't like witnesses to my crimes, I assure you I will let us all out when we are done - I haven't eaten yet and there a couple of pints Black Sheep that have my name on them

He walks to the door and locks it, leaving the key in the door for Joe and Liz to see. Turning back he speaks to Liz "Come along! Chop! Chop! Clock's ticking!"

Walking back to his print outs he asks over his shoulder "Are you related to Susan Penhaligon, the actress? You're certainly pretty enough to be her daughter!"

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Clay crosses his arms, "I got a box for you right here old man. If you're trying to screw Liz or me over, I'll put you in a box." Then he looks over at Liz, "just get the files so we can get the hell out of here."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Watch the World Burn”