Page 1 of 1

Ch2-2c Greg & Jacob at the university Library

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm
by ghill
Brichester University Library is a reasonably modern well equipped library. The index seems full of papers written by the professor over the course of his career.
Library Use,What are we searching for? The professor has written hundreds of papers during his academic career, on top of which there seem to be more books on Albania than you've seen before.

Re: Ch2-2c Greg & Jacob at the university Library

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm
by royya
Jacob is searching for the most recent and papers that deal with the Ur language, the Maltase fragments and the Verbiti.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg wants to check to see if there are any recent reports on field trips that include names of students that they might want to speak with later... perhaps see if there are any recurring names in the trips.
Library Use - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4058544/]Library Use (45%) (1d100=38)[/url]

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:01 pm
by ghill
Greg quickly has a several yearbooks each of which details the field trips conducted by Brichester University's Geography and Archaeology Society at the very least he has the authors name for each one (they are all different)

Jacob however, is gathering an ever increasing pile of papers and books on the desk in front of him, the large majority of them don't tell him anything new. Although its hard to escape the idea the professor was working towards a theory which would link the three and might well have been working on such a paper when he died.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 pm
by royya
Hmmm ... too much reading material.
Jacob decides to focus on the Ur language. He wants to see if the language is some kind of ancient Hebrew.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 pm
by ghill
Although there are links with Hebrew as a member of the Afroasiatic family of languages which to the Ur language idea, its quite clear to Jacob that Linguists certainly don't consider the Ur language as some form of ancient Hebrew. Also Gosshams ideas would seem to fly in the face of the Ur language idea, on the one hand he seems to indicate the Maltese fragments and verbti symbolism are somehow linked to the Ur language, but cannot show any linkage between the Verbti language and the accepted connectors*

*those sounds which are found in lots of language families and thus would seem to show some common proto-language to link them all.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 pm
by royya
Let's search for the Maltese Fragments.
Jacob says to Greg.
Maybe we can find pictures of them ... I wonder if these are pieces of stone with symbols carved onto them. Maybe we'll be able to find the actual fragments as well and see the big picture.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:15 pm
by ghill
Looking for books with pictures of the Maltese fragments is easy enough, they all show pretty much the same thing a number pottery shards some big some small with a variety of different markings.

The shards are described as Early Neolithic Period (ca. 5000 BC) there seem to be two opposing points of view, one (Gossham's and a couple of others) is that the markings on the pottery is evidence of the earliest language in a written medium. If this was true it would be a pretty startling discovery as it would predate any other example by 3000 years. The other argument is that the the markings are simply repetitive patterns which seems both the most strongly held argument and the one which the evidence seems to support.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:19 am
by ImpInTraining
Greg is following along as best he can, but this whole archeology thing just isn't his strong suit. "So... you're saying Professor Gossham's belief was that these little images on the pottery made up some sort of pre-historic alphabet, right? I think maybe I'll jot them down as we see them so we have them as a reference later on."

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am
by ghill
This will take Greg some time as there is a great deal of disagreement between the relevant parties (even those who do support Gosshams view point) so collating an inclusive list will involve looking through all the books.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 am
by royya
Yes, let's write them down or take a picture of them and see if we can find similarities to the tattoos we encountered.
Jacob replies
I don't want to believe my theory but after what we saw, what are the chances these are, you know, words of power of some sort.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am
by ghill
Pictures pain a thousand words,OK taking photos or using a photocopier certainly make the job move faster but its still an half hours work.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg nodded to Jacob, pulling out his cell phone that came with a camera, as most did these days. "Great idea. My artistic quality leaves a lot to be desired." He remembered trying to reproduce the tattoos he saw a while back and screwing that up royally.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm
by ghill
Cameras,Photography skill please....or just keep doing it until you get it right which considering the number of documents to work through will take some time (a couple of hours) There is nothing stopping Jacob photocopying while Greg takes photographs or both taking photos.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 am
by royya
Photography (1d100=44) - Fail
well, it's going to take a while.
Jacob says as he begin to photo the pages with his cell phone.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 pm
by ghill
The problem Jacob has with his camera phone is not taking the photos per se, but ensuring they are clear and usable, so much time is wasted moving around the library books in hand looking for a window or light source which works best.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 am
by ghill
Working together Greg and Jacob collate what they consider a fairly comprehensive set of photos. Which for a few quid the library can print out using their high quality printers and bind.
OOC: Time check,Consider yourselves in step with Liz time wise, if you have anything else to do.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am
by ImpInTraining
Photography - fail,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4083195/]Photography(10%) (1d100=54)[/url]
Greg says, "Yeah... I've always sucked at taking photos. Let's use the scanners, it might be quicker ... and more legible."

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:53 pm
by ghill
Time:,As Liz is working her way through stacks of paper, Greg and Jacob should consider themselves roughly in step time wise. In other words feel free to crack on with whatever you wish.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg says to Jacob, "Ok, so ... maybe we should see if we can find any of these people who went on the field exhibitions?"

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am
by ghill
Finding people,This shouldn't be a hard task, the field trip is open to year two and three students as part of their studies and to year one students as a Summer job (unpaid); there should be a number of students present in the college who have attended one or more of the trips. It should be a matter of heading over to the Geography department and asking around.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg stretched and his back cracked, "Ugh... been sitting too long. Let's go stretch our legs and talk to some students." He started putting his books on a pile there by the counter to be returned to the shelves.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm
by ghill
The young librarian smiles at Greg's thoughtfulness as they walk out of the library and across a grass covered quad. Archaeology is in one of the old university buildings full of cubby holes and secretive spaces where students gather in ones and two's
Spot Hidden/Psychology rolls please,A successful [b]Spot hidden[/b] by either of you alerts you both to unusual behaviour among the students and allows a [b]Psychology[/b] roll. A successful [b]Psychology[/b] will pretty much identify what and why they are behaving that way.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:51 pm
by royya
Spot hidden & Psychology (1d100=92, 1d100=18) - Both fail.

Hmmm...how are we going to find these students.
Jacob wonders

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:39 pm
by ImpInTraining
Spot Hidden - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4088358/]Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=7)[/url]
Psychology - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4088359/]Psychology (60%) (1d100=13)[/url]
Greg was walking beside Jacob enjoying the fresh air, and getting some of the dust out of his nostrils from the old library when his pace slowed suddenly. "Huh..." he said getting Jacob's attention. "That's peculiar." He pondered a moment longer and tilted his head when sudden realization came across him. His eyes lit up as it did. "Huh..." he said again in revelation.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 pm
by ghill
Greg realises the students all seem to be whispering conspiratorially, that the conversations stop whenever he or Jacob walk or anyone else for that matter walks past and otherwise behaving in a suspicious manner. His impression is they are exhibiting symptoms of both fear and guilt.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm
by ImpInTraining
The students' odd behavior makes Greg a little nervous. What was it they had conspired about that made them feel so guilty? He pulled Jacob aside in a quite, secluded area and shared this observation with the man privately. "Perhaps we can use this to our favor. If we don't get any answers that help us, maybe we can send the others dressed like Feds... er... government inspectors or whatever it is you have here."

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 pm
by royya
Let's ask them directly. I will try to persuade them to talk, it's something that I good at at court.
Jacob replies

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:00 pm
by ImpInTraining
"They don't seem too eager to share," Greg responded looking back at the students who were only moments ago whispering secret conversations back and forth. "As you wish though. Just let me know if there's anything you need from me to direct the conversation the right way."

As a surgeon, Greg dealt in facts and rarely had to pry people for information. He was normally the holder of information and shared it with his patients quite openly so they could make a good choice about which direction to go from there. But it seemed England had no interest in letting Greg find a comfort zone.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:22 pm
by royya
Stand beside me.
Jacob says and leads Greg to one of those people that look suspicious

Good day young man. I'm a solicitor and I would like to ask you several questions about the recent death of professor Gosham. I understand that people over here whisper some rumors and I would like to know if this will help in the case. Your help to the nation will be gratituded and the information will be anonymous.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm
by ghill
The young man looks quite worried by Jacob's approach but seems rather relieved when he asks about professor Gosham's death.

"I'm sorry mate, I'm Archaeology and Ancient history you want to talk to someone in the school of European studies. I never had the bloke for classes, although he seemed alright those times I saw him in the 'Union' bar. Wasn't he supposed to be having it away with his student assistant?"

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 am
by royya
What do you mean having it away with his stident assistant ?
Jacob tries to push the man a little further.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 am
by ghill
The young man laughs "You know, banging, shagging, having sex with. Not that I care, I mean its nobody's business what two consenting adults get up to as far as I'm concerned."
Psychology roll,Can I have a [b]Psychology[/b] roll from Jacob please, from Greg as well if he has followed Jacob to listen in.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:31 pm
by royya
Psychology (1d100=100) - Epic failure.

Well, this was not like in court. These are not the types of characters Jacob meets in court. He was completely puzzled.
Greg, any question for this young lad?

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg responded, "I have it on good authority that he hadn't been doing anything of the sort with the woman you're referring to. Tell me though... what has you all so bothered? Is there some sort of conspiracy going about? Did someone get strung up on a flag pole as a Freshman prank?"
Psychology - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4096891/]Psychology (60%) (1d100=15)[/url][dice][/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 am
by ghill
The kid looks shocked at Greg's sudden change in tact. "Conspiracy no, there's no conspiracy... look we're not supposed to talk to anyone, especially not the press. You'll have to talk to faculty if you want to know anything."

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg glanced at Jacob a moment, then back to the student, "A juicy little secret that ranges the entire depth of the school, how enticing. You can't just dangle something so delectable in front of a couple journalists and expect them to turn away." Greg glanced left and right as he reached for his wallet, "What about if I agree to donate to the 'foundation for the better quality of student life' fund?"
ooc,Trying to bribe them. What is that... a credit rating check?

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 pm
by royya
Wait just a minute Greg ...
Jacob says and turn to the student at what he is good at
You know that it is not polite to keep secrets, and I already told you, we'll keep in anonymous.

*A fast talk or Persuade ?

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:38 pm
by ghill
The student face flicks backwards and forwards between Greg and Jacob, a smile on his face. "So what are we solicitors or Journos? Because my mum told me not to share secrets"
Rolls,OK gents let me think on this a bit - I'd say Greg's proposal is a [b]Persuade[/b] roll - a successful [b]Credit Check[/b] roll first will give a hefty bonus. It would have been a simple credit check if the guy had proposed the bribe. Jacobs proposal isn't fast talk which is persuading someone to do something in the short term. Trying to persuade the student "keeping secrets isn't nice" doesn't strike me as a very persuasive argument nor does the "we'll keep it anonymous." However, considering Jacob is a trained solicitor who should be capable of building considered arguments lets assume that Jacobs builds and argument on the basis that "not only is it not nice, but it could actually be detrimental to the students career and education if the college is making them keep a secret which might actually make them criminally liable at a later date." - So [b]Persuade[/b] roll.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:48 am
by royya
Persuade (1d100=90) - Fail. That's it, I'm not rolling with the invisible roller - it's cursed.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 am
by ghill
The lad's finally looks at Greg "Did you mention money"

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 pm
by ImpInTraining
Credit Rating - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4102639/]Credit Rating (35%) (1d100=35)[/url]
Persuade - Success (even without the bonus),[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4102640/]Persuade (55%) (1d100=22)[/url]
Greg smiled and said, "Having spent a lot of time in higher education myself, I can sympathize with a student's need for a little extra money on hand. Everything you tell us will remain in the strictest confidence."

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm
by ghill
The young man discreetly holds out an open hand while Greg counts some notes into it.

"Professor Westerlund has been arrested by the local police out in Malta, they say he's been selling off artifacts from one of the digs. All three of the digs have been suspended, we were all sent home on Saturday. Prof Humphries came out along with a legal bloke for the university and they got the police to release us back to the UK. But all the supervising faculty members are still there being questioned."

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg's brow furrowed as he wondered what, if anything, this had to do with the other professor's death. "Do you know what these artifacts were that were allegedly sold off, or to whom he had sold them?"

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 pm
by ghill
"The thing about the digs is they're all neolithic sites, its not as though there is a market for big pieces of rocks and the sort of things which you could sell are ten a penny because you can pick them up in the fields. I reckon someone official has heard some disgruntled local and jumped to conclusions"

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 am
by royya
Have you heard about artifacts called the Maltese Fragments ?
Jacob asks quietly

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:21 am
by ghill
"I'd be a pretty poor archaeology student if I hadn't."

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg asked, "Do you think it might be possible he was selling some of the fragments?"

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:13 pm
by ghill
He might have I suppose, but as artifacts go they aren't exactly culturally significant, hauling everyone off to prison is a massive over reaction to something like that. Its a bit like someone flogging (selling) indian arrowheads or knapped flints

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg pondered a little longer, assuming what the student to have said as true. "Is there a complete list of artifacts found in these excursions anywhere?"

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm
by ghill
"Everything and I do mean everything we find is photographed and documented, but as far as I'm aware Professor Westerlund is responsible for that"

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:17 pm
by royya
And he is arrested in Malta ... what was the late Prof. Gosham's connection at this matter ?
Jacob asks

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 pm
by ghill
The young man looks at Jacob, "Connection? I have no idea mate, I think the Prof Gossham came over to Malta a couple of times...but...look I'm not sure i really understand what your asking"

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 pm
by royya
Was he part of the expedition? a colleague of Professor Westerlund ?

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:24 pm
by ghill
"Like I said mate, the prof was school of European studies, the digs are run by the school of Archaeology and Ancient history. I guess he might have done some summer work there in the previous years though. Some people join the dig during summer recess, because apart from your flight and a bit for food, the accommodation is all paid for. It makes for a cheap summer holiday."
Should we stay or should we go now!,Greg and Jacob can clearly see a middle aged woman in twinset and pearls calling out to them as she walks purposefully down the corridor towards them. Jacob knows full well the university counts as private property and both men could be accused of trespass which is in some cases a criminal offence. NB Greg and Jacob have time to ask a quick question if they want to risk it - this doesn't look like a woman who would demean herself by running

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm
by ImpInTraining
Greg didn't like the look on the approaching woman's face. She looked as if she meant business, and not the kind he was interested in. "Hey, thanks for all your help. Good luck with your studies and stuff." He looked to Jacob and said, "We have an appointment to catch, right?"

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 am
by royya
Yes. let's get moving and find Liz and Clay

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:10 am
by ghill
Turning on their heels Greg and Jacob walk quickly out of the building then out of sight, the woman calls out after them asking them to stop. Concealed by the pillars of one of the vaulted sandstone corridors which surround the small quad they watch the woman stop at the doorway hands on hips she looks around for them then gives up clearly frustrated.

Go Here