Ch2-2c Greg & Jacob at the university Library

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Ch2-2c Greg & Jacob at the university Library

Post by ghill »

Finding people,This shouldn't be a hard task, the field trip is open to year two and three students as part of their studies and to year one students as a Summer job (unpaid); there should be a number of students present in the college who have attended one or more of the trips. It should be a matter of heading over to the Geography department and asking around.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg stretched and his back cracked, "Ugh... been sitting too long. Let's go stretch our legs and talk to some students." He started putting his books on a pile there by the counter to be returned to the shelves.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The young librarian smiles at Greg's thoughtfulness as they walk out of the library and across a grass covered quad. Archaeology is in one of the old university buildings full of cubby holes and secretive spaces where students gather in ones and two's
Spot Hidden/Psychology rolls please,A successful [b]Spot hidden[/b] by either of you alerts you both to unusual behaviour among the students and allows a [b]Psychology[/b] roll. A successful [b]Psychology[/b] will pretty much identify what and why they are behaving that way.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Spot hidden & Psychology (1d100=92, 1d100=18) - Both fail.

Hmmm...how are we going to find these students.
Jacob wonders
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Spot Hidden - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4088358/]Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=7)[/url]
Psychology - Success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4088359/]Psychology (60%) (1d100=13)[/url]
Greg was walking beside Jacob enjoying the fresh air, and getting some of the dust out of his nostrils from the old library when his pace slowed suddenly. "Huh..." he said getting Jacob's attention. "That's peculiar." He pondered a moment longer and tilted his head when sudden realization came across him. His eyes lit up as it did. "Huh..." he said again in revelation.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg realises the students all seem to be whispering conspiratorially, that the conversations stop whenever he or Jacob walk or anyone else for that matter walks past and otherwise behaving in a suspicious manner. His impression is they are exhibiting symptoms of both fear and guilt.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

The students' odd behavior makes Greg a little nervous. What was it they had conspired about that made them feel so guilty? He pulled Jacob aside in a quite, secluded area and shared this observation with the man privately. "Perhaps we can use this to our favor. If we don't get any answers that help us, maybe we can send the others dressed like Feds... er... government inspectors or whatever it is you have here."
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Let's ask them directly. I will try to persuade them to talk, it's something that I good at at court.
Jacob replies
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"They don't seem too eager to share," Greg responded looking back at the students who were only moments ago whispering secret conversations back and forth. "As you wish though. Just let me know if there's anything you need from me to direct the conversation the right way."

As a surgeon, Greg dealt in facts and rarely had to pry people for information. He was normally the holder of information and shared it with his patients quite openly so they could make a good choice about which direction to go from there. But it seemed England had no interest in letting Greg find a comfort zone.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Stand beside me.
Jacob says and leads Greg to one of those people that look suspicious

Good day young man. I'm a solicitor and I would like to ask you several questions about the recent death of professor Gosham. I understand that people over here whisper some rumors and I would like to know if this will help in the case. Your help to the nation will be gratituded and the information will be anonymous.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The young man looks quite worried by Jacob's approach but seems rather relieved when he asks about professor Gosham's death.

"I'm sorry mate, I'm Archaeology and Ancient history you want to talk to someone in the school of European studies. I never had the bloke for classes, although he seemed alright those times I saw him in the 'Union' bar. Wasn't he supposed to be having it away with his student assistant?"
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

What do you mean having it away with his stident assistant ?
Jacob tries to push the man a little further.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The young man laughs "You know, banging, shagging, having sex with. Not that I care, I mean its nobody's business what two consenting adults get up to as far as I'm concerned."
Psychology roll,Can I have a [b]Psychology[/b] roll from Jacob please, from Greg as well if he has followed Jacob to listen in.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Psychology (1d100=100) - Epic failure.

Well, this was not like in court. These are not the types of characters Jacob meets in court. He was completely puzzled.
Greg, any question for this young lad?
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg responded, "I have it on good authority that he hadn't been doing anything of the sort with the woman you're referring to. Tell me though... what has you all so bothered? Is there some sort of conspiracy going about? Did someone get strung up on a flag pole as a Freshman prank?"
Psychology - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4096891/]Psychology (60%) (1d100=15)[/url][dice][/dice]
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The kid looks shocked at Greg's sudden change in tact. "Conspiracy no, there's no conspiracy... look we're not supposed to talk to anyone, especially not the press. You'll have to talk to faculty if you want to know anything."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg glanced at Jacob a moment, then back to the student, "A juicy little secret that ranges the entire depth of the school, how enticing. You can't just dangle something so delectable in front of a couple journalists and expect them to turn away." Greg glanced left and right as he reached for his wallet, "What about if I agree to donate to the 'foundation for the better quality of student life' fund?"
ooc,Trying to bribe them. What is that... a credit rating check?
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Wait just a minute Greg ...
Jacob says and turn to the student at what he is good at
You know that it is not polite to keep secrets, and I already told you, we'll keep in anonymous.

*A fast talk or Persuade ?
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The student face flicks backwards and forwards between Greg and Jacob, a smile on his face. "So what are we solicitors or Journos? Because my mum told me not to share secrets"
Rolls,OK gents let me think on this a bit - I'd say Greg's proposal is a [b]Persuade[/b] roll - a successful [b]Credit Check[/b] roll first will give a hefty bonus. It would have been a simple credit check if the guy had proposed the bribe. Jacobs proposal isn't fast talk which is persuading someone to do something in the short term. Trying to persuade the student "keeping secrets isn't nice" doesn't strike me as a very persuasive argument nor does the "we'll keep it anonymous." However, considering Jacob is a trained solicitor who should be capable of building considered arguments lets assume that Jacobs builds and argument on the basis that "not only is it not nice, but it could actually be detrimental to the students career and education if the college is making them keep a secret which might actually make them criminally liable at a later date." - So [b]Persuade[/b] roll.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Persuade (1d100=90) - Fail. That's it, I'm not rolling with the invisible roller - it's cursed.

Return to “Watch the World Burn”