Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the European Studies building

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the European Studies building

Post by ghill »

Liz and Clay make their way to the top of the Archaeology building, where the Professor’s office is situated. A young lady (Clay identifies her as Shauna is wading through piles of paperwork scattered around the room clearly a case of organised chaos. There is an adjoining room which LIz thinks looks like it was the Professor’s study. The floor in both rooms is cluttered with boxes.
Security:,As they go Clay points out the lack of security, identifying for her routes and methods he would use to enter the building - these methods don't require any special skills just a modicum of preparation and desire.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the Archaeology building

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How do you want to play this?" Liz asks quietly. "It might be better if we enter separately and with some time between so that she doesn't realise we're together, just in case she gets suspicious of you. I could go in first and start talking to her, and then you could wait a few minutes before you start poking about."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"What am I going to tell her?" says Clay looking a bit worried by the prospect "I think I'd prefer to come in with you or just wait outside, then if we come back after dark no one has seen me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right, that's a better idea," says Liz. "Better if nobody even sees you. Besides, I can prolly get more out of Shauna if it's just me and her. Anything else before I go in?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Nah I don't think so" says Clay turning to go. He pauses for a moment then turns back. "Look you know about facebook and ipads and stuff, but keep you eyes open for other stuff will you, we don't really have anything on this guy other than he was done by someone who tried to do us." Clay looks a bit surprised by his outburst smiles and walks off to the stairwell where he is out of sight.
Last edited by ghill on Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speech and minor edit to correct spelling.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz nods, walks up to the office door, and knocks softly on it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

A slim girl of medium height looks up from the pile of papers she is sorting into piles, brushing a lock of blonde hair from her face as she does so.

"Hi can I help?" she says with a rather tired smile.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hullo," says Liz, grinning back. "I'm Liz Penhaligon. Are you Shauna WIlcox? I'll try not to take up too much of your time. I'm a research assistant too, and I know how busy you must be. I wanted to ask you some questions about Malta."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Hi..." she puts down the stack of papers she's sorting through. "Everyone, seems to have questions for me today, but I wasn't expecting Malta."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You must mean Dr. Gosshamm's murder," says Liz. "I've heard about it, and it's simply horrible. I must admit I'm curious about it, but I can understand if you'd rather not talk about it or you're too busy. His research into languages sounds simply fascinating, and that seems to connect to Malta too. Anyhow, the reason I asked about Malta is that I'm thinking about going there, and I wanted to find out what it's like from someone who's been."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna gives a rather weak smile "I never really thought of his work as fascinating, but he was very kind. It was the prof who managed to wangle me onto the trip to Malta. Anyway feel free to ask away, as long as you don't mind be trying to sort through this junk as we talk." she indicates a pile of papers stacked on the desk. "Its largely rubbish I think. The prof was crap at his personal admin."
Liz,Spot Hidden please.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I don't mind," says Liz, grinning back and looking around the messy office carefully. "In fact, why don't I help you? I'm a research assistant too, so I've done this sort of thing before."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna picks up a pile of papers from a seat and collapses into it. Well I could certainly do with the help but I'm not sure I'm allowed?
Poor Shauna,Clearly Shauna is open to the idea, [b]Psychology[/b] & [b]Persuade[/b] rolls please. NB Success at the Psychology will make the Persuade easy ( roll under skill x2)
Partially covered by a fallen pile of papers Liz spots a laptop docking station on the professor's desk; she can see no sign of a laptop or laptop bag.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz isn't sure how best to convince Shauna, but she tries her best, which turns out to be pretty good. "I don't see why you wouldn't be," she says. "My prof never had a problem with another student helping out. It'll be less work for you. And it's not like I'd tell anyone anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna looks around the room. "OK, well why don't you gab a pile and start separating out any personal stuff and putting it into this box here, academic work here." Shauna points at the relevant piles for the papers then gives Liz a weak smile "Thanks, its such a depressing job, I'm so glad I don't have to do his house, although after the fire I think a lot of his stuff is in storage already."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No problem," says Liz, picking up a stack of papers and starting to sort through them, taking advantage of the opportunity to see if there's anything of interest. "There was a fire too?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Oh didn't you hear? The prof started a fire at his cottage in Deerhurst, I'm not sure how badly damaged it was or whether it was just unlivable, mum had a fire in the kitchen a couple of years ago and the insurance people had us in a motel for a month."

Almost on top of the stack of papers sees a receipt from the IT department for the Professor’s laptop, which notes it was sent for the repair of a faulty screen.
OOC: Spot Hidden,please, Depending on how long Liz is prepared to spend looking through the stack of papers this is as easy task (2x skill) taking an hour or a normal task taking 15 minutes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz memorizes any identification numbers on the receipt to make it easier to locate the laptop later if she gets access to the IT department. She takes her time sorting, doing a thorough job of examining the papers as she does so. "Oh, that's awful," she says. "So, how was Malta? I heard there was some local trouble there."
OOC,I'll gladly take the extra time to make sure I see anything. As it is, my roll was good enough to succeed regardless. I have plenty of questions to ask [b]Shauna[/b] during this time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

As Liz works her way through the pile of random papers and correspondence she come across a couple of other bits and pieces.
Finds,[i]A ticket stub for a British Airways economy class flight to Tirana in Albania made about a month ago. Working through the pile of paper further she starts to put together what looks to be a printed copy of the first draft of a new untitled thesis by the professor. It looks incomplete and is covered in red pen and margin notes where Gosshamm has clearly edited it.[/i]
Oh the house fire was a right pain, he'd was nearly finished with his current paper then the house fire well he wasn't a happy bunny and certainly not someone you wanted to be around very much which was a hassle considering I worked for him. <she smiles> Malta, oh that was a 'jolly' the Prof wangled me onto. Actually, I think it was supposed to be a jolly for him as well, the Archaeology department probably felt they needed to show their thanks after he managed to them the funding with the same sponsors who fund...funded his studies.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

'Who did fund his studies?" asks Liz, in what she hopes is a tone of casual curiosity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Watch the World Burn”