Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the European Studies building

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the Archaeology building

Post by ghill »

"Its some funny foreign name..Shush something" She pauses "actually hold on" Shauna picks up a paper from a pile of correspondence "Oh yeah, here it is. Kush nderton. Not sure how long they've funded him but they've been very good about what he researches and stuff."

Let me Google that for you,As a registered charity it is simple to obtain the following details about the charity from the Charities Commission’s website: The charity’s goals are stated as: 1. To preserve Albanian heritage and history wherever it is found, through the provision of grants for archaeological work. 2. Through the provision of grants to encourage the study of Albanian heritage and history. 3. To promote the education of Albanian history and culture. The charity’s contact address is given as Reddrup and Vosper a firm of solicitors; Mr John Reddrup, Miss Claire Vosper and a Mr Alex Rudaj are named as the charities trustees. The charity’s finances show approximately £500,000 coming in from charitable donations and nearly all of that going out on charitable activities.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What exactly was the trouble in Malta?" asks Liz as she works through her pile of papers. "I don't know any details, but that's the main thing that has me concerned about going there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna looks up surprised. "Trouble in Malta? There wasn't any trouble in Malta. Oh god people haven't started that crap about me and the prof having an 'thing' again."
Malta,Remember the trouble in Malta seems to be a recent thing, whereas Shauna went out last year (actually, I'm not sure I made that clear in the description of the photos but that is the case)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've heard people spreading that gossip," says Liz, "but I know that's all a load of bollocks. I wouldn't be surprised if people were saying the same things about me and my prof. He'd like to have a thing with me, I'm sure, but I'm keeping things professional. No, the trouble there was something else, but I don't know what. It was fairly recent, so maybe it happened after you went. What was Professor Gosshamm's interest in Malta? Does it connect to his research on Albania? I know the Maltese Fragments were discovered on Malta, and the pictures I've seen of the symbols look a bit like Albanian ones."
OOC,Thanks, I hadn't known that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"If its recent I wouldn't have heard about it, I don't really have anything to do with the Archaeology department they're not my crowd. The prof has always had this thing about some ethnic groups in Albania originally being from Malta. I think he persuaded his sponsors to fund the Archaeology Departments digs, he had the prospect of more gathering supporting evidence and the the Archaeology Departments got to scratch around in the dirt. I don't think he was that interested in it anymore he seemed more keen about getting back to Albania."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What was Malta like?" asks Liz.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Really nice and sunny, I spent the whole week by the pool and there was this lovely taverna we'd all go to for evening meals which did this lovely lamb kebabs with mint sauce. It was great.
Further questions:,Liz quickly finds out that Shauna knows nothing about the digs themselves, but did indeed spend her entire time by the pool getting a tan. NB Liz can see this is quite possibly the reason why the affair rumor started up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds cool," says Liz. "I'll have to visit that taverna if I go." She pauses as she continues going through the pile of papers. "Say, what happened to the professor's computer?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Oh he put it on a chair and it slipped off and broke the screen. It still worked when plugged into the monitor, but he couldn't use it anywhere else."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ooh, that's a bother," says Liz. "I'd be helpless if anything happened to my laptop. Well, I could still use my mobile for some things, but it's not quite the same." As she sorts the papers and puts the pieces of the late professor's new thesis together, she tries to make sense of it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The papers will take some time to read and truly understand considering its a total mess of footnotes crossing outs and marginalia, even the proposition makes difficult reading as it seems to have been rewritten several times. From what Liz can make out the prof seems to be suggesting the Verbetoi (singular Verbti) are not ethnic Albanian, its hard to understand but he seems to be claiming they are in fact the last remaining elements of a progenitor civilization which existed over 15,000
years ago.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz glances up from the papers. "Did the professor leave behind any family?" she asks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna, pauses what she is doing for a moment as though thinking. Then without looking up "I'm not sure I don't think so, or at least no one he told me about." She puts down the stack of papers she's been sorting through. "So what are you studying?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: Ch2 - 2d Liz and Clay - top of the European Studies buil

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, my main focus is in computer science," says Liz, "but I've got a lot of interests, and I'm taking the opportunity while I'm at uni to sample as many of them as I can. I'm also very keen on history, and I'm taking classes in physics and psych too. Basically, anything weird or unusual intrigues me. I'm the world's biggest geek." She gives Shauna a goofy grin. "I guess that's why Professor Gosshamm's work fascinates me. The idea of an ancient language that's at the root of all of them is just...wow! I do hope that someone will finish the research he started. I can't think of a better memorial for him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna gives a weak smile back "But we don't have a computer science course at Brichester? Do we?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I'm a student at Cambridge," says Liz, hoping Shauna will be impressed but not too jealous. "My prof is just visiting Brichester to do some research, so here I am."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Oh, OK. ...Look thanks for the help and everything, but you are going to have to leave me to it. I thought you were a student here. I really don't think they'll like it you helping.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, all right," says Liz. "Well, I'm glad I was able to help. Maybe I'll see you around. Cheers!" She waves and departs the office to go find Clay and fill him in about what she's discovered.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Shauna calls after her as she leaves "Thanks for the help I do appreciate it."

Outside Liz finds Greg sitting out in the stairwell. "Bloody hell. I thought you might have fallen asleep or something you were so long."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think you'll find the wait was worth it," Liz says with a grin. "Not only are Shauna and I chums now, but I found out all sorts of interesting things when I talked her into letting me help her sort the late professor's papers." She summarizes what she learned. "We may not need to get into his office after all. The good stuff is prolly on his laptop, which as luck would have it is currently in the IT department getting its screen repaired after a fall from a chair. Even if they haven't fixed it yet, I can always hook it up to my own laptop with a network cable and view its contents there if we can get access to it. I can then copy any significant files and leave his computer where we found it. Best thing would be to bring an external hard drive and just copy everything so I can look it over later somewhere else, just in case there isn't enough room on my own laptop. Nobody need even know we've been there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Watch the World Burn”