Ch2-01 Like a candle in the wind.

A chance occurrence in London's Heathrow Airport leads to a desperate search to find answers to terrible lost knowledge.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Ch2-1 Like a candle in the wind.

Post by ghill »

I think we can safely assume you all meet at Jacob's.

Clay stands outside the door to Jacob's house for a moment, he's in two minds as to whether to knock, doing so he knows will not only result in this door opening, but also opening a door into another place. In the end its the weather which forces his hand, he is fed up of standing on the door step int he rain.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Jacob organize his place for the guests and then sits to watch the videos Liz sent them
Hmmm...interesting.

Listen (1d100=12) - Pass
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Jacob notes among the interruptions by students asking questions and constant attempts to derail the lecture, one student asks the professor to talk about the "Maltese fragments", but he declines each time saying he's "not ready to elaborate and they will have to wait". This is unusual because he answers just about every other question he is asked and is
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Hmmm... I wonder why the professor is not answering the student's Question ?
Jacob search the web for these "Maltese fragments". He even tries to catch the student name if the professor ignored him every time. Maybe he will be able to email this student.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz arrives at Jacob's house and sees Clay hesitating outside the front door. "Hey" she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg shows up just moments after in a taxi heading from the other direction. He waves and crosses the road safely. "I'd say it's nice to see you all again, except for what it implies."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Likewise," says Liz. In one hand she carries her laptop case, and in the other she has the book she was reading on the train: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Funny how Lisbeth Salander's skills and talents match my own, she thinks.
OOC,Whoops! I don't know why I thought it was [b]Greg[/b] and not [b]Clay[/b] showing up first.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Welcome, welcome. please come inside.
Jacob greet his visitors
I prepared some Shabbat challah and you can spread some butter, jam or hummus and labneh I brought back from my trip.
After a nutritious breakfast and chit chat with coffee and tea about various things Jacob says
What do you say about Professor Gosshamm, I've been looking for clues regarding his publishing but find none and I even watched the videos you sent me. Any idea why the professor is ignoring speaking about a "Maltese fragments" topic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz smacks her forehead. "I'd completely missed that bit," she says. "Maybe these 'Maltese fragments' have to do with his current research, and he didn't want to reveal anything about it before he was finished. We've got to find out whatever we can about them. He probably didn't tell anyone, except perhaps his assistant, though his students have clearly at least heard of them. And he's got to have notes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"OK" says Clay "So whats the plan then? Head out to Brichester and talk to his assistant, or whatever the name of that guy Greg spoke to last time?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds about right," says Liz. "I can do some research online about the Maltese fragments on the way there. Best if we go in prepared, so we know what questions to ask."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The Maltese fragments,Would seem to be related to studies of a Mesolithic people who appeared on the Island of Malta around 9500-5000 BCE. They were known as the Writing People due to their habit of creating tokens in which symbols are impressed or inscribed in clay. Most archaeologists agree that the tokens created by the Writing People are nothing more than decorative patterns, while they are strikingly reminiscent of writing; they cite the brevity of the purported inscriptions and the dearth of repeated symbols in the purported script.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"His name is John Wheelsdown," Greg responded. Greg informed the others of the time and place where John had agreed to meet Greg. "I did not say anything about being interested in the professor's death though. I figured something like that might scare him off. Instead, I assume he is unaware of any relationship between the professor's death and the Verbetoi so I told him that we were still interested in the tattoo study. At least our foot is in the door."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Works for me," says Liz. "Will he meet with all of us? I can be your research assistant like I said earlier, and Jacob could be a colleague of yours. Maybe Clay could be his assisant."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

It's risky, he can ask questions and we are not coordinated with each other.
Jacob says
You two go to the meeting and I will try to enter the professors office somehow.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg nodded, "Sounds like a plan."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Getting there,There are regular train and coach services to Brichester from London and it is a two hour drive down the M3 Motorway (which also starts from London)
"I'm up for that" says Clay "So whats the plan go up tonight and stay in a hotel or something or go up tomorrow?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't see any reason to wait," says Liz. "If we arrive tonight, we can meet with the professor's assistant first thing in the morning. I wonder...maybe these Maltese fragments have to do with the Ur-language. They're the earliest thing resembling writing. Maybe they contain an alphabet or something."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper