The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Styx Base, 2112: Humanity has established a foothold on Pluto, at the very edge of the solar system. Story and his companions arrive just as a crisis is brewing. Humanity plans to spread its empire to the stars, but there are other forces at work. The destiny of the human race is at stake, and the Time Lord and his friends may be the only ones standing in the way of impending doom.

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the second of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by Mr. Handy »

Hehe, cute! :lol:

I'm sorry the endgame is dragging so much, but I do hope to have it resolved within the next couple of weeks so I can start getting The Shadow Over Dunwich set up. Those of you who are still in Take the Long Way Home, please do post promptly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

This is an old one but it's one of my all time favorite cartoons.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Congratulations to everyone for finishing The Ninth Planet! I hope everyone had as much fun playing as I did running it. Though this adventure is over, the campaign will continue. I plan to create a forum for the third Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu adventure, The Shadow Over Dunwich, at some point this weekend and work on background and character creation instructions. The game itself won't start for a few more weeks.

First, I'll give out rewards. Everyone earns 1d6 Sanity for defeating some of the Mi-Go. That's all you get, as the Mi-Go managed to succeed in their plan. This may take your Sanity above its starting level, but under no circumstances will it go above 99 - Cthulhu Mythos (which I don't think will be an issue for anyone).

Also, look at your character sheets. Wherever you see a * next to a skill, that means that you've successfully used it during the adventure and have a chance to improve it. Roll 1d100 for each of these skills and post your results here. If you get higher than your current level in the skill, then roll 1d10 to see how much it increases. If you raise one or more of your skills to 90% or higher this way, you gain an additional 2d6 Sanity for each such skill. Again, this may raise your Sanity above its starting level. If you roll less than or equal to your current level in the skill, it does not increase. All of you should roll Sanity and skill increases, including the Styx Base crew. Those characters will not be proceeding to the next adventure, but time and space are vast, and anything might happen eventually. In the meantime, those of you who played those characters may create new characters for the next adventure. Edward Barrett should make these rolls as well, even though he ended up in a Mi-Go brain cylinder. Some of those skills won't be usable in his current condition, but he still gets a chance at increasing them. He'll need that 1d6 Sanity as well, since his Sanity will gradually degrade over time while he's in the cylinder.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC skill dice rolls (Sanity and Spot Hidden go up),[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3678423/]Sanity reward at end of adventure (1d6=5)[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3678424/]Skill gain roll for Psychology (current stat 41%) with gain if fail roll (1d100=12, 1d10=3)[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3678425/]Skill gain roll for Spot Hidden (current stat 35%) with gain if fail roll (1d100=36, 1d10=3)[/url]
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Final rolls,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3679615/]Sanity points 1d6=6 now 59%[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3679616/]Biology 1d100=92, First aid 1d100=29, Listen 1d100=88, Medicine 1d100=65, Psychoanalysis 1d100=9, Psychology1d100=76, Spot hidden 1d100=100, Knife 1d100=71[/url] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3679617/]Biology 1d10=7 now 58%, Listen 1d10=1 now 26%, Psychology 1d10=3 now 33%, Spot hidden 1d10=7 now 47%, Knife 1d10=8 now 73%[/url]
Agghhhh. Mi-Gos win- those tricky fungi fellas! When, and if, Karin gets out of prison she goes and joins the rebellion. Any rebellion. Thanks for a great game, please sign me up for the next installment.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Ooh I forgot to say how much I enjoyed the game. Thanks Mr Handy. Depressing that the Mi-Go won, but it was a bit of a downhill situation once the General went a bit mad and shot at them! I've not read any Mi-Go Lovecraft stories yet, so apart from seeing a few pictures this was pretty much my first encounter with them. Scary critters! And yes I'm looking forward to the next game.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

I'll be on a road trip Tuesday through Saturday ... so NPC Lucius for me if you must. I'll try to post while on the road, but no guarantees.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Sanity 1d6 - Gained 2. Sanity Increase (1d6=2)
Insight 62% - success. Insight >62% (1d100=97)
Insight increases by 1. Insight increase (1d10=1)
Listen 50% - fail. Listen >50% (1d100=13)
Spot Hidden 50% - success. Spot Hidden >50% (1d100=72)
Spot Hidden increases by 7. Spot Hidden increase (1d10=7)

FYI - since Lucius is not getting any help regaining his sanity despite his opinions on the matter, he's likely going to be taking more chances, willing to throw himself to the wolves. He'd rather go out with some sense of himself than lose himself completely.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Sorry I wasn't here for the end guys. My vacation went longer than expected, then I got swept up in the start of school again with work - a new principal has come so we had all sorts of meetings and dinners for the old one and plans for the new one etc.

I was quite literally contemplating having Alison try to kill the General and Lt. Colonel almost every time I posted when we were in the ship, but I was just not sure if the hunch and her own suspicions/fears would have been enough justification and since I couldn't convince myself I couldn't convince her. I think Alison will definitely be noticing the changes going on around her on Earth though.

Here are Alison's rolls for if she ever comes back:
Rolls,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681250/]Sanity for end of adventure (1d6=1)[/url] (Apparently, Alison doesn't see it as a victory either) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681252/]First Aid: 65 (1d100=44)[/url] (No improvement) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681256/]Psychology: 55 (1d100=70)[/url] (Improved) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681258/]# of Psych improvement (1d10=1)[/url] (ugh) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681259/]Mace (DEX x 5): 75% (1d100=85)[/url] (Improved) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681260/]Mace improvement number (1d10=8)[/url] (That will be good for the future) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681263/]Handgun: 45% (1d100=77)[/url] (Improved) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681265/]Handgun Improvement: (1d10=5)[/url] (Killing people gets easier)
I had a great time with this game and now that things have been freed up I am able to play again. I'd be up for the next game as well - Handy I spoke to you earlier about my character idea, we can get back into that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and I think the next one will be even better. I'll post a recruitment thread for it soon, but I probably won't get a board set up with character creation instructions until next weekend. I'm hoping that The Shadow Over Dunwich will get started in late September. By the way, you are all now free to read all of the threads in this game, including secret information in spoiler buttons.

The Mi-Go are tricky little devils, and I've long thought that they'd make excellent Doctor Who antagonists, which I think this game demonstrates. Their plan was very devious, and there are still aspects of it that you never discovered. You figured out that they were up to something, but the specifics of their plan weren't revealed until the end. General Pryce was actually set up to be highly resistant to insanity and mind control (he had POW 17 and 85 Sanity to start), but the Mi-Go were extremely lucky. The odds were against him going insane for seeing the Mi-Go, and even then the odds were against him developing the particular insanity he did. The Mi-Go also could have been killed - it was down to only 1 HP when the shooting stopped. The situation gave it the perfect excuse to use its hypnotic effect (it had nothing to lose at that point anyway), which through sheer luck overcame the general's high POW. Once he failed, he fell under the Mi-Go's control, and at that point the first phase of their scheme was successful. All they had to do then was get him back to Earth to arrange the meeting, and again they had the perfect excuse for demanding that everyone leave and return to Earth.

There were still ways to thwart them at that point. Backing Colonel Patel fully could have worked, though it probably would have resulted in more bloodshed as the two sides squared off. She guessed what was going on by accident; in actual fact, she was jealous of General Pryce and was looking for a way to discredit and unseat him. The Mi-Go moved quickly to use their meat puppets to eliminate her. Even on the flight back to Earth, it was still not too late. The key was preventing General Pryce from reaching Earth safely, and you had access to him that would have been impossible once you got there. The surest way to do that would have been to kill General Pryce, which would have taken proper planning so that you did not end up like Colonel Patel. He wasn't a willing tool of the Mi-Go, so it would have in effect been murder, which gave everyone pause. He could have been freed from their control by killing the Mi-Go that was pulling his strings, but once it was released that became very difficult. Also, his prolonged and continuous mental contact with the Mi-Go drove him insane after some time, so even if he had been set free, he would have been completely mad after that point.

Imp, you're free to play Lucius how you like; he's your character. His insanity will still be suppressed when the third adventure starts, but it may make a return appearance if enough time passes. His Sanity score isn't as bad as it could be. He started with 40, so he is down 20%, but 32 is still enough to keep him going for a while. Taking risks might also endager his Sanity further. I played a character in one of your games who started with her Sanity in the teens when I took her over, and she managed not to go permanently insane (or even drop into single digits). Of course, the cautious way I played her also made it impossible for her to unravel the mystery.

CrackheadC, I remember our discussion about your character idea, and it is workable. I'll set up a special character creation thread for you when I create the new board.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by SSior.27 »

Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and I'm glad you had fun!

The Mi-Go's secret domination of the Earth in the 22nd century won't be permanent. If Kaiser's regime is overthrown, which would take some doing, then the Mi-Go will lose their iron grip. It is possible that the survivors from Styx Base will one day play a part in this. Even if Kaiser holds on to power, the Daleks eventually invade Earth in the mid-22nd century, causing whatever government exists at that time to collapse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Ninth Planet”