The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Styx Base, 2112: Humanity has established a foothold on Pluto, at the very edge of the solar system. Story and his companions arrive just as a crisis is brewing. Humanity plans to spread its empire to the stars, but there are other forces at work. The destiny of the human race is at stake, and the Time Lord and his friends may be the only ones standing in the way of impending doom.

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the second of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that started with The Terror Out of Time.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! I hope it's as fun as all of us expect.

Robert does have some interesting noncombat skills that could prove useful: Fast Talk (albeit not very high), First Aid, Law (again, not so good), Psychology, Spot Hidden, and Track. Granted, he is quite good at combat, and no doubt there will be opportunities for that in this adventure at one point or another. I don't think he'll be bored even when there isn't any, though. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

I was expecting 1920's but Futuristic is very fine too; I'm old-school Spacemaster-raised. I think I can come up with something for Captain Karin Bauer if I may. Please let me know if I need to add anything to the character creation as this is my first post-to-play.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! Karin Bauer is already complete and ready to go, and she's all yours. Her character sheet is the fifth one listed in the Cast of Characters thread. She does have secrets, which I'll send you in a PM shortly. Other than that, you're free to play her however you like as long as it's consistent with her personal background and the information about her in her secrets.

I plan to start the game itself next weekend. Starting this weekend you should see more threads popping up in this forum with additional background information and eventually a map of Styx Base.

I'll put Laraqua down for 2nd Lt. Colleen Rose, the only playable character remaining. I'll send her character's secrets by PM as well. I think she'll like her, as I made the character with her in mind.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by SSior.27 »

Can't wait for the game to start! It is rather amusing how this will be a mashup between Cthulhu, Dr Who (which I still have only ever seen most of one episode of...), and, in this setting, practically something from the Firefly 'verse. Gottan dust off the ol' Pinyinary!
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Handy, please do shout something in here so I realize we've started. I probably won't know unless you do.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

<Teal'c voice>I too eagerly await the launch of this adventure.</Teal'c voice> :-)
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Umbrageofsnow
Layman
Layman

Post by Umbrageofsnow »

Indeed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As do I.

Don't worry, I'll post something here when we're starting. I have a three-day weekend coming up, so I'm planning to get it going then.

I hadn't consciously been thinking of Firefly when I came up with the idea last year, but I can see the similarities. Kaiser's government is a lot like the Alliance, and the war that gave him absolute power is even called the Unification War.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by BenTheRat »

You can't stop the signal.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by yockenthwaite »

I'm looking forward to the new game starting too. Keeping an eye on this thread ready for the off.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've posted the background information and the introduction. Keep in mind that only the players with characters from Styx Base should read the threads with information about the base. You may all read the introduction, but keep in mind that your character isn't aware of the events there.

Starting tonight I will be posting the In Character threads for all of the players. When you see the thread with your character's name, you may read it and begin posting in it when ready. I expect players to post at least a couple of times per week, though you may post more frequently. I'll try to update as often as players post. If you can't match the pace or if you're going to have an extended absence, please let me know. Anyone who doesn't post for a long time and doesn't inform me of this will have their character put up for grabs to be taken over.

Remember that you may only read IC threads in which your character is present (except for the Introduction, which is free for all to read). After the adventure is over, you'll be free to go back and read all of the threads, but for now this information will need to remain secret.

Have fun! :D
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

All initial IC threads have been posted, so you may start when ready. The game is afoot!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lynx
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lynx »

And then of course the first question arises from one used to tabletob playing.
To make a dieroll, does one use an online dieroller, or do I roll my real life dice and post the result?
And where do i post it?
:D
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hep! I stumble in and promote the all-encompassing dieroller at Invisible Castle
Guess Mr. Handy has a short brief on how to use it?
Just get a pass and roll away. Or just roll as is... (Without the option to set specifics and notes)

Welcome to the game board a la virtuality ;)

/Dave

Edit: About posting it: we usually use an tag to show these. With a text in between.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

And so it begins...
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Dave! I'm sorry, Lynx, I completely forgot to post instructions for using Invisible Castle and a link last night. In The Terror Out of Time, I had included them in the character creation threads, but they were completely unnecessary in this adventure since all of the characters are either returning or pregenerated. Here is what I had put there:
You can use Invisible Castle to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game. You'll need to register and log in there in order to make entries in the Note section describing what you're rolling, but it's free. Be sure to use the same spelling for your character's name consistently to make it easier to look up old rolls.
Zombie Apocalypse has more detailed instructions on using Invisible Castle here. However, you won't need to put the campaign initials in brackets before your character's name. Last year they added a Campaign Name field for your rolls, so you can put The Ninth Planet there and just put your character's name in the Character Name field. You do need to log in in order to use the Campaign Name field, but you need to do so for the Note field as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Handy, was looking at the base layout, where do we eat and relax (besides the sim.) Is their a lounge or a place to get a drink in off hours?

Do we just eat at our desks?
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

There is no eating in the future.... humans have evolved beyond the need. They now feast off of sunlight with extra Chlorophyll in their skin. They also have a strangely green complexion and crave fertilizer....
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

LOL....
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Umbrageofsnow
Layman
Layman

Post by Umbrageofsnow »

Maybe someone has a still hidden under their bunk, since the rooms are private...

Return to “The Ninth Planet”