What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement?

This forum is for scenario authors to work together on creating Call of Cthulhu scenarios
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement

Post by Mr. Handy »

I still haven't gotten back into Ultima V, but I hope to do so starting in the next few days.

I'm almost done Season 4 of Downton Abbey.

I'm most of the way through A Storm of Swords, and the Royal Wedding recently ended. Wow! I'd been exposed to a spoiler about how a certain character died, and even though I knew it was coming, there was still a surprise. The spoiler (probably based on the TV show) had the wrong information about who killed said character, but many of the characters in the book believe it to be true. Even without the spoiler, I would have known that the character would die hundreds of pages before once Stannis did that thing with the leeches. I've put A Feast for Crows on hold at the library, so it should come in by the time I finish this book.

I made quite a dent in my backlog of board games. After finishing my game of Shadowrun Crossfire, which I won, but with more effort than I had planned, I played Space Sheep!. I had gotten it for less than half price. It was fun, and I was able to beat it fairly easily, but I had played my first game on an easy level. I'll have to increase the complexity and difficulty some time and play again. Then I played Nations, and I did rather well in my first game. I played as Rome and ended up getting very far ahead on the Heritage track (buying expensive Legionaries, putting two workers there, and conquering Israel on the first turn of the game really helped out there). I just played with the basic cards for my first game, so I can add more complex ones in later games. Next I tried the Legendary Marvel Deckbuilding Game, which I had played once before at a convention, and I stomped Red Skull in the introductory scenario.

Then I played a few games of Conquest of Planet Earth, which was a lot of fun. It's set in the 1950s, and each player is a unique alien race bent on conquering Earth on behalf of the Overseers who dominate their armada. The aliens can also battle each other as they compete for the glory and try to impress the Overseers. Having the Duke (from Fortune and Glory) in the Resistance Deck as a Hero was a nice touch! First I played just the base game, and I easily conquered the Earth as the Fishmen in four turns. Eating Kittens helped a lot (giving me two of the eight Terror Points I needed), as did starting off by equipping myself with Blue Lasers. For my next two games, I added the Apocalypse expansion. Playing as the Venezian Matriarchy, I got my butt kicked. I started out with a lot of Alien Menace Tokens, but I burned through them with no effect and soon found myself out of them. Nothing I tried that game worked, and I went down in defeat. I had better luck playing as the Kazak-Zelos Federation, two alien races that share a homeworld: one brutal and dumb, and the other physically weak but brilliant. Shifting which one dominates allows you to get a huge bonus to either Strength or Intelligence. I started out with the Zelos dominant to get extra Event cards, then switched to the Kazak to conquer stuff. I got three Terror Points through Event cards (including Eating Kittens again) as well as the Blue Lasers once more. My luck was turning sour, as I kept trying and failing to take the nearby city as well as to destroy artillery that was shelling my landing site. I did eventually crack the city (another three Terror Points), defeating Captain Fantastic twice in the process, but I never did manage to take out the arty. I lucked out when I managed to bring the Apocalypse Cube into play, and I used it to take over a small town (backed up by two of my Blue Laser-armed saucers), again having to fight Captain Fantastic (does that guy ever give up?), finally scoring the last two Terror Points I needed a couple of turns before the humans would have developed the Super Cannon that would have enabled them to blast the alien armada out of orbit.

I also went to the board game group again last weekend. I brought Castle Panic, and we played a game (the castle fell due to bad luck, and we lost). Then I played a game of Progress, which takes a lot longer than it says on the box. I had been in the lead, but one of the other players passed me on two of the victory tracks, so I ended up coming in second.

The next game I'm planning to play is Kings of Israel, a game I backed on Kickstarter that just arrived tonight. Its mechanics are somewhat similar to Pandemic's. The players play prophets trying to wipe out sin when it pops up in ancient Israel. The timeline is measured by the historical reigns of each king (some good, but most bad), and the deadline is at the end, when the Assyrians conquered the nothern ten tribes of Israel and carried them away.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Ie started to play elder sign: omens omen (a computer cthulhu game). It's very dificult, and luck is very inportant (but winning the GOO cannot be easy...). After some time, I defeated Yig (easy mode); now I'm with Tsatogua (normal mode) and I haven't been able to win yet.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I still haven't resumed Ultima V yet.

I finished Season 4 of Downton Abbey in time for Season 5's premiere (they're up to 1924 now), and I've already watched most of Homeland Season 3 (just two episodes left). When that's done, I just got the original British House of Cards trilogy.

I finished A Storm of Swords and started A Feast for Crows. This book is very different from the first three books. Instead of having the perspectives of the usual characters, it jumps around all over the place with viewpoints of various other characters (including, for the first time, Cersei Lannister). I finally got to see Oldtown and the Citadel, as well as Sunspear.

I've played a few more board games. Kings of Israel was very hard, and it took me three tries before I won a game on the standard difficulty level. It starts off deceptively easy, but it gets very hard after the first few turns. I also played Zombies Keep Out! (adding the Night of the Noxious Dead expansion after winning the base game) The players are goblin tinkers trying to defend their workshop from the undead. It's fairly easy, especially once you manage to construct your first contraption. I played Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age four times, twice without the Mediterranean Expansion and twice with it. I quickly got the hang of it. In my third game I had a run of really bad luck, getting swamped by horrible disasters scoring me negative points, but in my fourth game I got exactly 100 points in spite of some setbacks and failing to get the Empire development in the last round. The expansion adds colonies, which are crucial to getting a high score. The next game I plan to play is The Red Dragon's Lair, a dungeon crawling card game. I also brought Conquest of Planet Earth to the board game group, which everyone enjoyed. We played a competetive game, and one of the other players managed to seize the Capital City for the win without a fight thanks to the Contagion event card and loads of luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I have finaly buy broken sword V, it was very cheap at steam. On the other hand, I jut discovered that the broken swords 1-4 don't work anymore in my computer :x
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's painful. :( What about the Steam or GoG versions of those games? I think at least the GoG versions are made to work on modern computers. I played them on my desktop, which runs Windows Vista, just fine.

I had a little time to get back into Ultima V. I explored Jhelom and found a much-needed magic axe in a tree stump. It's the best weapon in the game. If only I had five more for the rest of my party. I could get them eventually, but I'll need 6250 gold first. I also got the grapple, which I'll need to climb mountains, and I found the keep of Farthing on an island and got the spyglass from Lord Seggallion (who used to be a pirate once). My next stop is the lighthouse south of Trinsic, where I'll pick up a sextant. I don't know how this thing can determine the exact longitude while I'm at sea, but somehow it can. Maybe it's magic. Or maybe it works because Britannia is a torus-shaped world. After that, I plan to explore Dungeon Destard now that I have the Word of Power to open it and explore the Resistance's island keep now that I have a ship and the grapple to reach it.

I finished Homeland and watched all of the House of Cards trilogy some time ago. I'm interested to see how the American version of House of Cards compares. I'm currently watching Season 1 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and I'm more then two thirds of the way done. Next up is the classic Sherlock Holmes series from the 1950s.

A Feast for Crows did bring back familiar characters, but only some of them. It also featured the welcome additions of Cersei and Brienne, as well as occasional characters in Dorne and the Iron Islands. I finished it a few days ago and have now started on A Dance with Dragons. The first part of this book runs in parallel with A Feast for Crows, but it follows the rest of the characters (which include my favorites). Later in the book, it will catch up with the point where the previous book ended and then go past it, with all of the regular characters involved.

The Red Dragon's Lair was tough, and it took me three tries. In my first two games I played Zosi the Alchemist, but I got killed by surface monsters before I even found the first dungeon. In my third game, I played as Robin Hood the Rogue and was able to prevail. Finding the Purpleheart armor early on was important, and in the first dungeon I got the Holy Grail almost right away, which made me immortal as long as I held onto it. Soon after that I got a Mithril Shirt, which when combined with the Purpleheart armor made me immune to damage as well. Her abilities to hide and to bypass/disarm traps and her excellent save roll for the ones I couldn't avoid served me well in the final dungeon. The Red Dragon was a pushover by the time I reached it. I also played a game of District-Z, a zombie survival card game I backed on Kickstarter, which I won after kicking lots of zombie butt. Next on my list of board games to play are a few more Kickstarter games that I received recently but haven't had a chance to play yet: Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis (steampunk and somewhat Lovecraftian), Tiny Epic Defenders (cooperative game where you defend a fantaasy city and its surroundings against a horde of monsters), and Escape: The Curse of the Temple (a realtime game where you explore an ancient temple and collect gems in order to escape before time runs out).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Darkest Dungeon, a Kickstarter funded early access game over at Steam is keeping me busy.
It's really hard to back out of a fight. It's against instinct! Only heroes at level 3 right now, but it's great fun!

AND, it's eldritch!
vlcsnap-2015-02-15-19h56m41s74.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-02-15-19h57m04s72.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-02-15-19h57m29s121.jpg
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I got the sextant in Ultima V and went poking around in Dungeon Destard, which netted me close to a thousand gold, a suit of plate mail and other useful equipment, and enough surplus arms and armor that I can sell. This will get me enough to purchase a second magic axe, which will allow me to kill tougher monsters to get even more gold and gear. I'm now in Bordermarch, the Resistance's keep.

I finished Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and have started on Sherlock Holmes. The cases seem to be original, and not actually based on the ones written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (though some of the characters are his). The Case of Lady Beryl featured Paulette Goddard as Lady Beryl. I hadn't recognized her until I saw her name in the credits.

I'm about a quarter of the way done A Dance With Dragons, and I've just seen confirmation of something I'd figured out at least two books ago: a certain person who was thought to be dead is actually quite alive.

I played a game of Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis, and it was a lot of fun. For a while I thought I was doomed to failure after a run of bad luck, but I somehow managed to squeak through and barely win in the end. I may have miscalculated the number of resources I needed, but I could have saved some just before the end and still prevailed. I played a few games of Tiny Epic Defenders, which plays quickly and is fun, but it's tougher than it looks, even on the "easy" level.

I was at a convention last week where I got to play some great games. I played Fiasco on Thursday night that was set in the world of the Dresden Files, about which I knew little. I played an amateur wizard who didn't know what he was doing, and I was using real magic in my stage magic act. My character got in over his head, but everything turned out all right for him in the end. I played in a Clone Wars game on Friday morning, where the squad of Clone Troopers I was part of kicked some droid butt and helped the natives of the planet we were on while a group of Jedi were off doing Jedi stuff. In the afternoon, I got to try the Doctor Who RPG, where I played K-9 and had a blast. That night I played a sheriff's deputy in a Cthulhu Live LARP. I couldn't keep the sheriff (my character's uncle) from being killed, but at least I helped avenge his death and survived, though I was wounded badly.

On Saturday, I played Gary Gygax in a Trail of Cthulhu scenario called All Along the Watchtower, set in 1968 during the Chicago DNC. I joined forces with Hunter S. Thompson, G. Gordon Liddy, and Hillary Rodham, and we thwarted the evil mastermind, and I got to organize and lead an army of hippies into battle. In the afternoon I played in an excellent Game of Thrones LARP that's part of a continuing series set 100 years before the books and the TV show. I was Lord Lyran Tully, 15 years old, whose father had been murdered by the treacherous Starks in a previous game. Helped by my lady mother, I tried to get my sister Tristana married to the rightful King Daemon Targaryen. That proved problematic, but we did manage to arrange for her to marry his brother Prince Aerys, who may yet be King one day if Daemon has no sons. Our efforts were complicated by the fact that Tristana was in love with Lord Talone Mallister, one of my lords bannermen, but we managed to sort everything out. Fortunately, one of the random rumors I was given at the start told me who my sister's paramour was. Aerys had another love too, so he and Tristana arranged that they could both keep their lovers on the side. Lord Blackwood's bastard granddaughter Sylvina Rivers turned out to have Targaryen blood, and the King made her legitimate - which made her a potential bride for him as well as his sister. I came up with the brilliant idea of trying to marry her myself, which would not only take her off the market (at the time we had not yet arranged a marriage for Tristana), but it would also further cement the ties between House Tully and House Targaryen. She does want to marry the King, but he had said that he must consider the war before matters of the heart when I suggested that he marry my sister, so perhaps there is still hope. I also managed to largely keep the river lords from killing each other (though I found out later that Lady Smallwood had been killed), with help from the Blue Fork Boys keeping the peace, and to prove myself as Lord of Riverrun and Lord Paramount of the Trident. Next to host multiple weddings, and then to raise and lead an army to help the King overthrow the Usurper Viserion Blackfyre and take his rightful place upon the Iron Throne - and to get revenge on his pet wolves. I have a clever strategy in mind that could help achieve both ends.

On Saturday night and Sunday morning, I played two Call of Cthulhu scenarios. The first was Needles, set in 1920s New Orleans (it's in Tales of the Crescent CIty). Then I played the unpublished Riding the Northbound, where all the investigators were hoboes in New England. Both were awesome! We ended both by burning down a building that, unknown to us, contained innocent people in addition to horrible monsters. Oops! :oops:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Long time since last I visited this pocket for sharing ideas.

I'm playing or rather Keeping a fantasy setting game on TEG. Deathtrap Dungeon. It's loosely based on the FF novel. Going well, so far.
Just watched the Terminator movie (2015).
Saw the pilot of Minority Report, the series. That one can be good!

And.... Fear The Walking Dead!

What can go wrong...?

TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back! Fear the Walking Dead is great! It's nice to get back to the early stages of the zombie apocalypse.

I'd put Ultima V on hold to replay Star Saga: One and then play Star Saga:Two for the first time. Both are excellent and rare classics. I have the first game on my old Apple IIc, which still works despite being over thirty years old. I never bought the second game when it came out in 1989, as I couldn't find an Apple II version and I didn't have an IBM PC at the time. Once I did a few years later, I couldn't find the game anywhere any more. I was lucky to find it earlier this year for $70. The original price was $45, the same as I paid for the first game, but those are 1989 dollars, so it worked out a little better, even counting shipping. I'd waited over 25 years to play it, and it was even better than the first game! I also played a PBEM multiplayer game of Civ IV with someone from another board that just finished a few days ago. I'd been dominating the whole game and won a religious diplomatic victory in the late Renaissance, which I hadn't expected to get so soon. My human opponent actually voted for me, as did an AI civ with a lot of votes, and it was just enough. I haven't played Ultima V a whole lot, as I'm at a part of the game where I have to grind to make progress. I did a bit of dungeon delving recently, and I've racked up enough gold that, once I sell surplus equipment, I should be able to buy a third magic axe and be well on my way to a fourth. I've pretty much explored the surface world, but I'm not ready to go down the underworld yet. I'll also need gold to donate at shrines to boost my virtue score enough to complete the game, but I need the axes first so I can get gold more easily.

I'm currently watching Season 3 of House of Cards, early in the fourth episode of that season (30th overall).

I've long since finished A Dance With Dragons, and The Winds of Winter probably won't be out until next year. Right now I'm reading The Eye of Winter's Fury, the third DestinyQuest gamebook, which does bear some similarities to A Song of Ice and Fire. No doubt that was an influence on this book and its world.

I haven't played any board games solo for months, but I still get to play at the weekly board game group. The last one I played solo was Legacy: Testament of the Duke du Crecy. Each player is the head of a prominent family in 18th century France, and you have to build your family tree by marrying the right person, having children, marrying them off to the right people, and so on. I did eventually beat Tiny Epic Defenders, but I'd been playing it wrong and actually made it much harder on myself, as I'd thought I only played as one hero, when really I should get two of them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I'm still playing Baldur's gate 2: I'm in chapter 6 now. I just have to clean one map and then kill the the vampires in their lair. Since I have now the spell of time stop, it should be easier.
I have play warhammer in tabletop with the 8º edition rules: I simply hated the rules of magic, too much random. My oponent was a high elf, I was a tomb king. He had better units, but I had more troops, and by sacrificing the infantry to buy me some time, I used my superiority to destroy his units isolated, one at the time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I managed to get two more magic axes in Ultima V for a total of four (the price had come down since I increased my Intelligence stat), but I haven't had much time to play it lately. I still have a lot of grinding left in order to get two more magic axes and then raise my virtue high enough by donating gold at the shrines to access the endgame. I've started a new Civ IV PBEM game with my friend, this time with a larger map, and I'm currently in the early Industrial Age. I'm mostly ahead of the other civilizations in tech, but some of them still have a few techs that I don't. I got off to a slower start in this game due to a lack of luxuries and other sources of happiness at first, but now I'm pulling ahead and am on track to victory, though it will take longer. It will probably be either cultural or scientific, whichever comes first. Diplomatic is probably out of reach until the Modern Age due to other civs adopting Theocracy and keeping me from spreading my religion to them. I'm currently researching Assembly Line, so soon I'll have Infantry, which outclass anything anyone else has by far.

I finished House of Cards Season 3 and watched all of The Jewel in the Crown, a British series about the last years of British rule in India set from 1942-7. Since then, I've started on The Avengers (the Emma Peel Megaset). I've watched six episodes so far, with 45 to go.

I finished The Eye of Winter's Fury and got the better ending of the two possible ones, which was very hard. I didn't lose a single combat in the whole adventure other than a sparring session early on, though there were some close calls. Now I've started on the first book of the Shinte Warrior series, which I backed on Kickstarter. If you don't select certain things when creating your character, you can fail due to bad luck. That happened to me twice at the outset, but I made a tweak in character creation and am now doing well in the initial tests.

I finally had a chance to start playing solo board games again, but not much. I played Tiny Epic Defenders again the right way, and I won rather easily this time. I also played Legacy in Testament Mode, which was very challenging. I won on my first try, but it was close and I was lucky. Next on my list is Hostage Negotiator (also a Kickstarter project I backed), a solo only game where you have to rescue hostages and bring in the hostage taker by acquiring and using Conversation cards while dealing with the perpetrator's demands and terror events that make things worse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

We have been watching Downton Abbey and after a scene in which the doctor quoted from Gunga Din, I started reading Kimpling's Kim again for the umpteenth time.

I'm also playing Knights of the Old Republic in advance of our Star Wars tabletop game set during the events of the game. I started as a male scout, leveled up to Lv4 and then took Jedi Guardian levels all the way from there. Light siding it for the win!

My students keep playing this silly game agar.io which is ridiculously addictive.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Knights of the Old Republic is a lot of fun! I also played all the way through as a male light side Jedi Guardian when I played it years ago, though I started as a soldier. I saw the twist coming early on, but that might have been in part because of which planet I chose to visit first. I also played the second game, which wasn't as good. It was kind of unfinished, as the publisher forced them to release it before they were ready. There's supposed to be a third one in the works. I've wanted to replay them, but I haven't had time.

I did play Ultima V for about half an hour and made a lot of progress grinding. I found a good room to do it, where I can slaughter four reapers repeatedly from a distance with my magic axes without them being able to strike back thanks to the crown. There are also bats there, but they're no threat. The reapers have a lot of good treasure. In one chest I found both a magic bow and a fifth magic axe! Now I don't need quite so much money, and I can get it fairly quickly by selling my surplus loot. I should also be able to get my sixth magic axe in another chest eventually.

I've also seen Downton Abbey, and I have Seasons 1-5 on Blu-ray. Season 6, which premieres in January, is going to be the last one, which is a shame. I had been interested to see what they would come up with as they moved into the 1930s.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I'm thinking of writing a Shotgun Scenario for DG. Has anyone done that and sent a scenario in?
TVblog

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Dave wrote:I'm thinking of writing a Shotgun Scenario for DG. Has anyone done that and sent a scenario in?
Not me.... you could check in with Giles (ghill) he's a DG fan and has done some stuff for The Black Seal.

Is this still via the DG mailing list?

Good luck on your entry!
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Yes, the DGML is still active. Got a g+ share from Shane Ivey a week ago.
Thanks!
I'll see if I come up with something.
TVblog

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Ubiquity Bundle of Holding

Post by carnage_lee »

I was eamailed this earlier:

Triple Ace Games has teamed up with the excellent people at Exile Games and Greymalkin Designs to bring you a Ubiquity Bundle of Holding!

For just $11.95 you get three core setting books plus two GM screens. Pay over the threshold (currently around $23) and you get a further four books! The combined retail of these Ubiquity products is over $120!

And not only are you getting a ton of Ubiquity, but you're also helping a worthwhile charity!

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Ubiquity
Ubiquity was the ruleset that was used in Leagues Of Adventure that Priest ran. While not strictly a 'horror' game the setting is excelent and there is a suppliment that adds horror elements (as well as a SAN analogue), which I own along with the core rules.

I'll probably be getting thr enhanced pack.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I'll be having some time to play over the holidays. Hopefully it will be filled with HORRIFICLY good Masks goodies.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Ok, I made this thread visible? I think it was hidden away a bit. :idea:
TVblog

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Sorry me again!

In case you've not come aacross this...

http://www.limetownstories.com/

Is awesome - not lovecraftian but great modern radio theatre:
Ten years ago, over three hundred men, women and children disappeared from a small town in Tennessee, never to be heard from again.

In this seven-part podcast, American Public Radio host Lia Haddock asks the question once more, "What happened to the people of Limetown?"

Return to “Collaborative Scenario Writing”