What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement?

This forum is for scenario authors to work together on creating Call of Cthulhu scenarios
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement?

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Saw this one for inspiration. Not my kind of film. But I love the poster!

Just finished Lee Child´s One Shot. Never read anything by him before. Really like the writing. Good character portraits and easy reading, a good flow.

Awaiting the 6th season of Dexter, I´m watching Jeremiah, watchable two seasons of post apocalyptic scenery - without zombies. The return of the Walking dead takes a life time, so this will have to do for now.

The series is fair. The comic albums are superb!
Reminds you of a TV-series? Minus horse....

The series is akin to BBC´s The Survivors and Jericho. I might try to make something out of a mix of those three. Some other time. These two scenario ideas we´re working on will have to do for now.

what about you? What are you guys reading / viewing?
/Dave

Btw. Have the [sup] and [flash] buttons been in the edit bar all the time???
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: What´s my/your current reading/viewing?

Post by Mr. Handy »

They've been there at least since the last major upgrade, I think. I've never used them myself.

Currently, as in this very moment, I'm watching The Snows of Kilimanjaro with Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward on TCM. I'm also making my way through the classic Doctor Who series (all 26 seasons!), and I've got most of them on DVD. The ones that aren't out yet on DVD I've been watching online, including reconstructions and animations of the missing episodes. I started last February with An Unearthly Child and proceeded in order. After finishing The Talons of Weng-Chiang, I went back and watched The Dominators again because I had just gotten the newly released DVD. Tomorrow I plan to finish watching the bonus features for The Dominators and then start Horror of Fang Rock, the first story in Season 15. The seasons get shorter as you go along, with the first six being much longer than the others, so I'm already close to two thirds of the way through.

I'm in the middle of reading Homeward Bound by Harry Turtledove. It's the conclusion of a lengthy series of alternate history novels he wrote about an alien invasion in the middle of World War II (Worldwar) and the subsequent arrival of their colonization fleet in the 1960s (Colonization). Though I've read all of the Worldwar and Colonization books and Homeward Bound came out in 2005, I'd never read it before. It concerns the arrival of a human starship at the aliens' homeworld (Home) in the 21st century. I've been reading a lot of Turtledove in recent months, including the last three books of Settling Accounts, part of an extremely long alternate history in which the Confederacy won its independence from the USA in 1862 that began with one book set in the early 1880s, three during World War I, three during the interwar period, and finally four during World War II. I just finished Hitler's War, the first book in The War That Came Early series, where World War II starts in the fall of 1938 with the invasion of Czechoslovakia. I had wanted to read the next book in the series, West and East, but it had been checked out of the library, so I got Homeward Bound instead.

I've also started reading December 6, by Martin Cruz Smith. This one follows an American expatriate named Harry Niles living in Tokyo shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. I put it on hold partway through to read Homeward Bound, but I intend to get back to it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I see your trait in following through. I also tend to watch whole series and read certain authors in streaks. But not yet for 26 seasons! That must be some kind of record?
Thanks for sharing your nightstand with me. That was a mix of what ifs and science fiction. The only thing I´ve read coming close to Turtledove is Philip K Dick´s The man in the high castle.
You might have heard of Do androids dream of electric sheep filmed as Blade Runner with Harrison Ford? (My number one favorite sci fi film as well as favorite author.)
In The man in the high castle, the axis powers won the war and rule USA. The book is made into a TV-series by Ridley Scott as we speak. (Announced on IMDB.)

Speaking of adaptions, a best seller from the 80's Joseph Garber´s Vertical Run. Something I´d like to try to convert to a solo adventure. "Dave Elliot comes to work as usual. But something is wrong. He will have to fight to get his way out of the office alive. As he did in the jungle all those years ago." It is being filmed by Warner Bros, produced by Jon Peters(Batman Returns, the only good Batman film ever made).
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Well, I think the 1966 Batman movie with Adam West and Burt Ward was also good, in a campy sort of way. ;)

Philip K. Dick is great, and I have The Man in the High Castle, though it's been years since I've read it. I also have Through a Scanner Darkly. I've heard of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but I've never read it. I've seen Blade Runner plenty of times, though I've heard it's very different from the book.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Hi guys!
Blade runner is excellent, but they have left many things out of the book, it would be impossible to include everything. And it's THE cyberpunk movie, you may forget Matrix. Scanner darkly was a bit weird. And about The man in the high castle, it's a great book, it really understands the ethos of fascism.
I'm currently reading "The other Greeks" from Victor Davis Hanson. It explains that most of values of the western world were created by the free farmers of the Greek polis and not by the intellectuals of the greek cities. I'm also reading the manga "Monster", it's a thriller about experiments and social engineering done in the late East Germany (this one would be a great scenario). On TV, I'm watching again Rome, the first season,
Computer games; I'm playing Bioshock 1 (I'm not very found steampunk, but I must agree it's well done).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm currently playing Fallout 3. It's fun, but it's not really true to Fallout 1 and 2 nor up to their level of quality. I've heard good things about Fallout: New Vegas, though.

I have Bioshock 1 and 2, but I haven't had time to play them yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Between writing a paper on women´s and men´s teaching styles and trying to be productive on the site, I play some odd rounds of Jagged Alliance 2 (newer mod as of 2010) can´t give it up.
I laughed when I saw my 13 year old son play the char generation phase of Fallout 3! Kid stuff!
Then it turned out to be an ordinary shooter.

In real life my oldest daughter has some aviation reading to do, hopefully. She went down to do try out tests for pilot school.
Oh, how I would like to trade places with her... They let her know how it went in a month.
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

By the way, I was was drawing a comic with a mythos theme and part of the action was in Egypt. Now, it's all ruined.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Just place it to occur last year ;) . Can we get a preview of your work??
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

It's all written in Portuguese, and I'm still learning how to draw (when I started, I didn't knew at all), but here is the link:

http://oartefacto.blogspot.com/
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I see you are drawing in the computer. Have you tried to draw on paper and scan the pictures? I think that gives a better look to it. Drawing in the computer is really hard, I think.

I made a quick character pic for a scribe I played some years ago:

I guess, given sufficient time and training anyone can draw decently.
That said, if one not keep the drawing up, one loses the talent quickly. I used to draw pretty good. This is light years from my work from twenty years ago. Sadly...
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Nice! I wish I could draw like that.
I've been drawing the scenarios in computer to be quicker. The figures I made them in paper, but I will take a long time (on the other hand, I already saw worst comics than mine in the net, so not everything is lost :P )
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

But then again, the message in the text will put the strip in another light. (I´ll look at it more closely tomorrow.)
Regarding art, I´ll be putting together a "front page" for the Aquitania scenario. What elements would you like to have?
I was thinking of the cliffs of Morocco, a dive shot, ocean liner, raging war, horrors of the deep... I just need to compose those in a neat layout.

Any ideas?
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Imagine the ruin of a ship at the bottom of the city with divers exploring, and "something" appearing, hows that?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´ll work on that! Some snatching from the web. Morph it. Then upload for approval. Give me some time....
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

OK, I had a look at Sanctum.
It fits the "How was the dive?" "Same all, same all..." as Kabs said before. Some great underwater scenes.
I also had a rewatch of The Cave.

Into the Blue 1 & 2 got on my watch list and I´m about to see #2 right now. All to prepare for the 2011 epsiode of Aquitania.

The thing with diving is when things go bad - it´s hard to do them right again ;) . With the planning of baddies with harpoon guns and lost treasures, greedy Brits and such, we´re in for a treat!
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Jeez! :shock:

Halfway in the film, I´m thrilled! It´s like Aliens in UK! Possibly one of the best films in the genre ever! Cool environ suits. I like the plot. The pace is increasing all the time and I´m only half way...
The rest can be a flat out, but based on the film so far it´s a ten pointer. :D
Spoiler:
Expecting nothing... Enormously glad I had a view of it.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

In retrospect... I should have stopped watching there! The second half was...not to par with the first half. I´ll make good use of the first part for a future project of mine, though.

You seen it?
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Ok, what am I thinking of? The scenes in the first half set a great tense mood.
vlcsnap-2011-02-20-20h35m38s111-1.png
That is suitable as an eye catcher.

The plot is from Ursula LeGuin´s Intracom, paired with an old Traveller scenario: Sky Rig.
It will be quite a quick job to put these pieces together and have a scenario going.

I guess I´ve found yet another thing to add to my to-do-list :D

But..later...later
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I finished to see the anime Higurashi (When they cry). The idea is simple: in 4 episodes you see what hapen in a beautiful and peaceful small vilage (a group of teenagers playing, a festival, a murder, then a spiral of murders and madness). Then the story repeats with some minor changes in another 4 episodes. In a total of 52. Each group of 4 episodes gives hints for what is really hapening, until at the end you know almost everything. I didn't like how it was solved (a true happy ending with everyone happy, including the baddies).

Return to “Collaborative Scenario Writing”