What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement?

This forum is for scenario authors to work together on creating Call of Cthulhu scenarios

Re: What´s my/your current reading/viewing/playing amusement

Postby Pastiche » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 am

What did you think of Dreamfall Chapters? I heard it's not as good as the previous games, and I'm wondering if I should sink time in it..

Congratulations on your published scenario!
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby HelplessBystander » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 am

Congrats, Mr. handy!
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:44 am

Thank you both!

Dreamfall Chapters is good, but it's not as good as the previous games (The Longest Journey is my favorite from that series). It took me a long time to play it, but part of that was that it was very buggy, including some gamebreakers that kept me from advancing until I found workarounds (or in some cases waited for a patch). Hopefully the bugs have all been fixed in The Final Cut, but I played it before that was released, and I have no idea when I'll have time to replay it. I'd still recommend playing it, especially for the continuing story, but you might want to wait until it's on sale.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Did some tidying up on the boards. Am reading some Popular Science Magazines from the 50's I bought on a flea market. Cool stuff. They have a real Fallout feel.
I watch Mr Robot and am off to check the season 2 premiere of Stranger Things.
tvcommunityblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price.
Dave
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:36 am

I'm slightly afraid to approach Stranger Things season 2, mostly because I have a lot of work to do, and I cannot guarantee that I don't binge watch the whole season straight away :mrgreen:
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby HelplessBystander » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:20 am

conversely, I have too much work on my hands to allot time do anything else except reading short stories, RPing, and whathaveyous. No guarantee to ever find the time to watch Stranger Things.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Postby evil_scientist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I read a lot while commuting, mostly contemporary horror anthologies, and also some classics as well, like Howard's "Worms of the Earth". I really liked it.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby DrPeterson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 pm

I've just gotten back from Essen Spiel and the two top games I played there were the new Civ by Fantasy Flight and Joan of Arc by Mythic Games.

The new Civ is a lot less clunky than the old Civ, plays faster and has an interesting action mechanic where you use cards representing different fields, science, culture, military, commerce and production, you can research tech to improve the effects of these actions and they vary in strength according to their position on your game board, the cards sliding up when you play one that was higher in value.

Joan of Arc is an epic scale (meaning 15mm) miniature game with wonderfully rendered mini's in the setting of the Hundred Years' War. It has a very fluent game mechanic, is easy to learn, but still strategic af. The 15mm is really refreshing scale-wise as it truly brings out the awesome presence of cavalry piece next to the trembling peasants. In their kickstarter they also made a dragon and tons of other stuff. But the dragon is the must see piece, it is breathtaking! Instead of pointbuilding and making competing armies, the game is scenario-driven with predetermined armies facing off in (near-)historical campaigns and battles, such as the Battle of the Herrings.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 am

I've never played the Civ board games, but it's something I'd really like to play, considering how much I love the computer game series. I've heard of the Joan of Arc game, but I didn't back it because it's not playable solo, so I'd probably never get a chance to play.

I'm heading to Metatopia in a few days, where I'll get to try out some new games in development. Some of the events there are playtesting games that were at Essen, but they don't tell you which ones beforehand. I'm signed up for mostly roleplaying games.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby evil_scientist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am

I'm reading "Agents of Dreamland" by Caitlín R. Kiernan and enjoying it so far! Creepy government agencies against a creepy cult and a seemingly imminent Mythos threat, all delivered in Kiernan's brand of evocative prose (which I personally really enjoy) and cut-up structure. I think this book is the most outright "Lovecraftian" or Mythos effort from all her stuff I've read, but she still retains her own voice.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:10 am

I'm now about halfway done Season 6 of MI-5, which is great. They have a story arc that continues through the season this time, building on what's happened in earlier episodes.

I'm almost a third of the way through Voyager. Claire and Jamie are finally reunited! :D
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby evil_scientist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am

evil_scientist wrote:I'm reading "Agents of Dreamland" by Caitlín R. Kiernan and enjoying it so far! Creepy government agencies against a creepy cult and a seemingly imminent Mythos threat, all delivered in Kiernan's brand of evocative prose (which I personally really enjoy) and cut-up structure. I think this book is the most outright "Lovecraftian" or Mythos effort from all her stuff I've read, but she still retains her own voice.

"Agents of Dreamland" was great, but way too short :(

I want to watch Mindhunter - a netflix series about late 1970s criminal profilers.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Previous

Return to Collaborative Scenario Writing