The Lurker at the Threshold (ic)

Yig's followers plot to summon him, and only nun Sister Mary, psychologist Carolyn Fern, and photographer Darrell Simmons can stop him. The Lurker at the Threshold offers a shortcut to power, but the price may be too high. Will they succeed, or will the great serpent return to rule the world?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: The Lurker at the Threshold (ic)

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9 Movement
Dreamlands -> Independence Square
ooc,Ghost. Horror check: fail, lose 2 Sanity; Combat check: Fight 5 +3(Staff of Phraoh) -3(Ghost's combat modifier) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2818172/]Combat check (1d6=4, 1d6=6, 1d6=6, 1d6=1, 1d6=5)[/url], success.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 9 Movement
The Dreamlands (1st area)

Carolyn slowly awakens, only to find herself no longer in the caves. Instead, she is in the middle of a mysterious forest in yet an another alien realm. "Will I ever get home again?" she asks herself aloud.
OOC,[b]Carolyn[/b] is no longer delayed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9 Arkham Encounter
Independence Square Close Split Gate: Plateau of Leng/Dreamlands.
ooc,Close Split Gate: Plateau of Leng/Dreamlands: Lore 1 +1(Skill) -2(Gate modifier) -1(Lurker), fail; spend 1 Clue token, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2820212/]Lore check (1d6=1, 1d6=5)[/url], success. Gate trophy taken. Shoggoth returned to the monster cup.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Why didn't you use Fight to close the Gate? You could have saved that Clue.
Turn 9 Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands (1st area)

Carolyn finds a hollow tree stump as she walks through the woods. Inside is a pouch filled with small, unusual silver coins. "These should be worth a pretty penny when I get back to Arkham," she says. "If I get back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]Why didn't you use Fight to close the Gate? You could have saved that Clue.[/quote] I thought that by using Lore and spending Clues I'd roll more dice, 2 +2 as apposed to Fight with only 2 dice--and here my brain stopped working, because, of course, I could have spent Clues to add to my Fight check.
Turn 9 Mythos
Strange Power Flux Plagues City
[Gate opens at Independence Square, Darrell sent to the Another Dimension.]
Moving Gate: Another Dimension
Monster: Ghoul
Movement: Ghoul -> Downtown // Moving Gate: Dreamlands -> Rivertown
[Carolyn and Darrell immediately return to Arkham, **is Darrell still delayed?**]

Reckoning card: Strange Behaviour

Clue token added to The Great Ritual.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you're still delayed. I checked the FAQ. I guess I'll stick around and close the Gate, though I can't seal it in its current location. I'll choose to fight the Dimensional Shambler even though I don't have to do so. It's a shame I don't have that third Spell, or I'd have been able to stop the Great Ritual after all. Now there's no chance.
Turn 10 Upkeep
Rivertown streets
OOC,[b]Carolyn[/b] increases Lore from 3 to 5 and decreases Luck from 4 to 2.
Suddenly, the air around Carolyn begins to swirl again, and she once more feels the bizarre spinning sensation. She finds herself back in Arkham, in the streets of Rivertown.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10 Upkeep
ooc,Darrell will close the Gate using his Fight skill.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 10 Movement
Rivertown streets
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823126/]Horror check (Will 3 - 2 [Dimensional Shambler] = 1 die) encountering the Dimensional Shambler (1d6.hits(5)=0)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823127/]Horror check (Will 3 - 2 [Dimensional Shambler] = 1 die) encountering the Dimensional Shambler, reroll due to Bravery (1d6.hits(5)=1)[/url]. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823128/]Combat check (Fight 2 + 6 [Tommy Gun] -2 [Dimensional Shambler]) fighting the Dimensional Shambler (6d6.hits(5)=4)[/url]. [b]Carolyn[/b] claims the Dimensional Shambler as a monster trophy.
A sudden noise draws Carolyn's attention. She turns and sees a strange, hairy beast with massive claws. An ordinary person would have been terrified, but she had more courage than most. Had it followed her back through the portal? Not waiting to give it a chance to ambush her, she pulls out her tommy gun and blazes away at it. Bullet after bullet riddles it with holes, and it is utterly destroyed. Then its body fades away to nothing, leaving no proof it had ever been there. Spent shell casings litter the empty street.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10 Movement
Independence Square

The portal rushes round and round, swirling like a multi-coloured whirlpool. Darrell hears, or imagines he hears, an anguished howl; oddly, the frightening sound makes him feel better: a weight has been lifted off of his mind.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 10 Arkham Encounter
Rivertown streets
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823870/]Lore check (Lore 5 + 1 [Dreamlands] - 1 [Lurker at the Threshold] = 5 dice) to close the Gate (5d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. [b]Carolyn[/b] claims the Dreamlands Gate trophy.
Carolyn once again channels the power through herself and closes the portal behind her so that nothing else can come through. It shrinks to a point and vanishes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10 Arkham Encounter
Independence Square
ooc,Close Gate: Another Dimension; [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823938/]Fight 5 +0(Gate modifier) -1(Lurker) (1d6=4, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=2)[/url], [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2823940/]Clue token spend on Fight check (1d6=5)[/url]; success. Gate taken as a trophy and Hound of Tindalos returned to the monster cup.

"I did it! I did it!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 10 Mythos

Blu Flu!
Split Gate: Yuggoth/Another Dimension
Dhole
Movement: Ghoul -> Easttown

Reckoning card: The Body a Temple

Clue token added to The Great Ritual.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11 Upkeep
ooc,Darrell will restore his Sanity at the asylum.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Upkeep
Rivertown streets
OOC,[b]Carolyn[/b] increases Fight from 2 to 4 and decreases Will from 3 to 1. [b]Carolyn[/b] is heading to the South Church to get a Blessing, but first she has to kill that Witch in her way. I just hope there's enough time before Yig wakes up.
Carolyn catches her breath and reloads her Thompson, ready for anything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11 Movement
Independence Square -> Arkham Asylum

Darrell gazes at the asylum windows, they are barred with rusting iron grills: Arkham Asylum is a frightening place. He tips his fedora forwards and scratches the back of his head, puffs out his cheeks, and then stoically enters the building.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 11 Movement
Rivertown streets->French Hill streets
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2825231/]Combat check (Fight 4 + 6 [Tommy Gun] - 3 [Witch]) fighting the Witch (7d6.hits(5)=2)[/url]. [b]Carolyn[/b] claims the Witch as a monster trophy.
Carolyn heads south through the streets of Arkham. As she walks through French Hill and passes near the Witch House, she sees a woman dressed all in black - and she sees Carolyn too!

"You!" cries the woman. "You are the one who murdered my lover!"

"If you're talking about the fellow in that house," says Carolyn, "he attacked me. I had to protect myself."

"You should have let him sacrifice you! Now your pain will be worse. When Yig awakens, he will curse you! He will sink his fangs into you and fill you with his venom, so that your death is slow and agonizing! It will be soon..."

"I'm a psychologist. Maybe I can help you-"

"I am not mad! I see clearly now, and you are a blind fool! Since you did what you did out of ignorance, I shall be merciful. I shall grant you a quick, painless death." She raises her hands, and a fiery aura begins to surround them.

"I'm not in the mood for this." Carolyn pulls out her tommy gun and cuts loose. The woman is struck by multiple bullets, and she falls dead to the street.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11 Arkham Encounter
Arkham Asylum
ooc,Darrell pays $2 to restore his Sanity.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 11 Mythos

The Chill of the Grave [Gate only]
Unvisited Isle. Endless Gate: Yuggoth
Doom token added to doom track.
Shoggoth

Reckoning card: Terrible Realization

Lodge Member Held for Questioning!
Black Cave. Gate...
Doom token added to doom track; 10th doom token, Yig awakes!

Every investigator is cursed.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Speed >5 Sneak <1 After Carolyn has completed her "Investigators Refresh" step and the first player marker has passed to her, can Darrell have the Holy Water?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, of course. I was going to offer it anyway, since I don't need it. You might want to save it in hopes that you'll shake off your Curse or until you're down to 1 in either Sanity or Stamina. I almost got the Blessing too! If I'd gotten it, we'd have had a chance. Now unless we're very lucky, I think we're doomed. :cry: [b]Carolyn[/b] loses Flesh Ward automatically due to Yig awakening. [b]Carolyn[/b] gives Holy Water to [b]Darrell Simmons[/b]. No change to sliders.
Round 1 Investigators Refresh
No sooner has the dust settled than Carolyn sees an enormous monstrosity stalking through the streets of Arkham. The gigantic fiend towers over the buildings. It looks vaguely humanoid, but its hands have claws and it has a long tail and the head of a snake. Its beady eyes stare at her, and a long, forked tongue flickers between its fangs. She sees a man with a camera come running over and hands him her flask of holy water. "Here, you'd better take this," she says. "I only have two hands, and I need them for this." She takes out her Thompson and reloads it.

Round 1 Investigators Attack
Carolyn wastes no time engaging the enemy in battle. From what the sorcerers she slew said, she knows this must be Yig. That knowledge does her little good, however. She sprays lead all around, but only one bullet strikes the massive creature. It seems more angry than injured...
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2827789/]Combat check (Fight 4 + 6 [Tommy Gun] - 3 [Yig] = 7 dice), final battle against Yig, Round 1 (7d6.hits(5)=3)[/url]. That's actually only 1 hit because I forgot to use hits(6) instead of hits(5). Stupid Curse... :evil: It will take 19 more hits to defeat Yig.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 3 - The Lurker at the Threshold”