The Lurker at the Threshold (ooc)

Yig's followers plot to summon him, and only nun Sister Mary, psychologist Carolyn Fern, and photographer Darrell Simmons can stop him. The Lurker at the Threshold offers a shortcut to power, but the price may be too high. Will they succeed, or will the great serpent return to rule the world?

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

The Lurker at the Threshold (ooc)

Post by Tabs »

FAO Mr. Handy (sorry DSIGFUSS and Trixie)
Arkham Horror and The Lurker? and only components from those two sets? Who do you want to play or shall I randomly choose an investigator for us?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Innsmouth Horror & The Lurker at the Threshold (ooc)

Post by Mr. Handy »

So we're not also using Innsmouth? If we are, I'll play George Barnaby, the Lawyer, as I stated before. If we're only using the investigators from the base game, you can draw randomly. That's what I always do anyway to pick my investigator.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I'm gonna go for the base game +1 expansion (Lurker with Herald); also, this way it'll solve my issue with deck dilution.

Do you want to keep track of your investigator online? I can scan the investigator sheet and the AO as well.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sounds good to me. Two expansions at once could get confusing. Maybe the next game can include Innsmouth (and more players).

I got five games of Arkham Horror + Innsmouth in over thw weekend, but a couple of them were quick losses (I lost one in less than half an hour). I almost won the first game with Michael McGlen against Nyogtha. Went shopping early and bought a Warding Statue to buy me an extra round, even passing up an Elder Sign to get it (no point sealing Gates when I'd never get them all before he wakes up). I even had a Blessing, but I came up a couple of points short after two attacks, one with Dynamite and the other with my Tommy Gun. Then I failed my roll to survive. Rhan-Tegoth kicked my butt quickly twice in a row, then Zhar cleaned my clock. Finally I managed to punch Nyogtha to death with Carolyn Fern - no kidding! I didn't even have a Blessing then (lost it well before the final battle and couldn't get another because a Shoggoth kept blocking me from getting to the South Church), but I did have the +1 Fight and Marksman Skills, both of which I needed, along with the special Gate card from the City of the Great Race that gave me 3 automatic successes. I had a lot of Clues saved up, though I'd burned many more of them needlessly. Even so, I was insanely lucky to win, especially without weapons or a Blessing.

I drew a random character for this game while I was at it, and it's Carolyn Fern again. Keeping track of her online will work.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Five games"! The Mythos gods will be angry with me because I haven't played the game for several months.

I forgot about the Personal Story cards, shall we include those as well? Any other cards?

Also, I'm very tempted to take the Bound Ally card--I know it'll make the final battle tough, but I figure that if I'm going to take the Bound Ally card I should do so at Turn 1.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: The Lurker at the Threshold (ooc)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Well, I hadn't played in a couple of months either, though I did get two games in in early September. Before that I hadn't played since last year!

Let's just use the cards in the base game and the Lurker expansion. The Personal Story cards are fun, but they may make things overly complicated. In my last game I barely completed Carolyn's. I went straight to the bank and took out a loan, trying and failing to read the Old Journal I started with in spite of my high Lore. Then I went back to the Asylum to complete my mission, reading the journal successfully on the way. Then I got the encounter that gave me 2 Clues if I passed a Will(-2) check, and my current Will was 3. I actually succeeded, which would have given me 6 Clues and failed the mission, so I spent 1 Clue to get an extra unnecessary die. :lol: Of course, in each of the three turns after I got the loan I had to pay up. I would have made it to the Newspaper and had a chance to earn some cash, but a Maniac got in my way and I had to waste a turn kicking his butt, and then the very next turn I was in default. Lost my Enchanted Blade, Holy Water, and Lantern. :cry: I still managed to win somehow, so it's all good.

I haven't even looked at the Lurker cards yet, but the Relationship cards are something I'm looking forward to. I don't know what the Reckonings do, but I'm going to try to avoid taking any Dark Pacts if I can - they're bound to be horrible!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Let's just use the cards in the base game and the Lurker expansion.
Okay.

Carolyn's possessions: (Common) Tommy Gun, Lucky Cigarete Case; (Unique) Ancient Tablet, The King in Yellow; (Skill) Bravery.

Relationship card: Friendly Rivals.

What the heck, I'm taking the Bound Ally card [draws from Ally deck]: Anna Kaslow.

The game has begun. I've not considered our tactics beyond Sister Mary gathering Clue tokens.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That sounds good. I think I'll stay in the Asylum for the first two turns and milk my Unique Items for all they're worth. By then I should have enough Clue tokens to seal a Gate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

A Fight(-3) check is a tough encounter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Actually, it was only Fight(-2), but even so... I hadn't been expecting that, as I'd never seen this encounter before. I'll be sure to raise my Fight to at least give me a chance if it comes up again. I can't afford to lose the really good stuff!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

This turn Sister Mary plans to pick up the Clue token at the Science Building.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The Turn 2 Reckoning card totally screwed my plans, there had better be some good stuff for Sister Mary on future Reckoning cards--otherwise it's a one sided pact she has struck with the Lurker.

My plan for Turn 3 is to go to The Unnamable and pick up the Clue tokens.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That'll teach you not to make deals with dark forces, I guess.

My plan is to use the Ancient Tablet this turn. It's a shame I hadn't waited on the King In Yellow. I could have ended my turn in the Downtown streets and paid off the vagrants to get my choice of 3 Spells. I'm hoping the Tablet gives me something good (*cough* Find Gate *cough*). I may do the vagrant thing next turn if it's still there, then head to the Black Cave's new Gate after that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, if we meet up Carolyn can have Flesh Ward.

Turn 4: I thought Sister Mary could kill the Ghoul and the turn after get the 2 Clue tokens at Hibb's?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Actually, I think I should kill the Ghoul and you should go directly to Hibb's this turn. When you pass me, you can hand off one of your Flesh Wards. I can give you a couple of bucks if you want. Then next turn I intend to kill the Warlock and go through the Gate to the Abyss. I'll then have enough Clues to seal 2 Gates (3 if Nodens' Favor remains in play long enough).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, you're right. Sister Mary will pass through Rivertown. A few dollars will be useful--how many?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm thinking $2. I want to keep 5 so I can buy an Elder Sign or a Spell if I get a chance to go shopping later.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Do you want to take Holy Water as well?--Sister Mary has the Shrivelling spell.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, if you're sure you can do without it.

There's nothing for me to do in the Arkham Encounter phase, so you can go ahead and post your own encounter (and the Mythos phase and Turn 5 Upkeep).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks, if you're sure you can do without it.
:)

Return to “Episode 3 - The Lurker at the Threshold”