Welcome to Glendale

Modern-day exploration of the quiet Cumbrian village of Glendale to investigate the reportings of ghosts and fairy folk.

Moderator: ImpInTraining

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Welcome to Glendale

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm skeptical myself," says Laurence, "but I do have an open mind. It's possible that there is something to the stories after all. If it weren't, I don't suppose I'd be here. I'd be keen to hear some of the local stories if you have the time, Molly." He looks around for Paul. "I'm not sure where my manservant's got off to. He must be around somewhere."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Andrew »

"I'm not really sure what I believe but I plan on trying to capture it. Funny because there is a movie out there that was made from a book, both titled Photographing Fairies. The main character, Charles Castle learns of this old tree in which little fairies fly around and goes to investigate. It was actually quite a good read and movie, so when I heard about Glendale... Well, being a photographer myself, I just couldn't resist." Nicholas spoke up, his attention on his camera apparently wasn't to absorbing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, yes," says Laurence. "I'm familiar with Photographing Fairies. Essential background research for me. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was also convinced of the existence of faeries and sought to prove it. Did he once visit Glendale? I seem to have heard about it before, but I'm not quite sure where."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Molly poured herself a drink of water and took a long pull at it. "Didn't realize just 'ow thirsty I am." Taking up her cloth napkin, she dabs her mouth, then unfolds the napkin and places it in her lap. "It'said Arthur Conan Doyle, 'im 'oo wrote them Shrlock 'olmes stories, came 'ere once. Lookin' for faries'e was. Don't know if 'e ever found any. There is a small wood just outside the village. A young man goes there ev'ry day looking for these 'Little People'. Wastin' 'is time if you ask me..." She stuck her fork in her salad and moved bits and pieces about as she added, "And then that there Martin Richardson, e's interested in elves, goblins, and such-like. If you's want to know more 'bout ghosts and goblins, go speak wi''im."

Laurence, and Nicholas know of Martin... he is a member of the exclusive and secret Club Nyctopia and arranged to have them come for an investigation... although the details were choppy and hurried. Laurence undoubtedly had a mind to pay him a visit for more details. Petronella also knew of Martin... when she was looking for a good story, he was the one who suggested she might find all sorts of fantastic creatures in Glendale. She needed a good story, and proof of fairies or ghosts... well, that'd put her right on the front page, she was sure of it.

After swallowing a quick mouthful of salad, Molly mentioned, "Well, if you think you will be seeking the fairy folk, good luck to ya. At least you ain't comin' around trying to capture no ghosts like they 'ave been tellin' about."
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Thorn »

Petronella's ears perks up. "Ghosts? Who's seen ghosts? I've only heard there was rumours about fairies?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Laurence. "I intend to visit Mr. Richardson tomorrow. I too would be interested in hearing about these sightings of ghosts. Have they always been associated with Glendale, or is this a more recent phenomenon?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Molly rolled her eyes at the notion of some ghostly spirit hovering over the floor and shaking chains. She cleared off the salad and brought about the stew, steak and potatos as she filled in the group about their most recent interest in conversation. "People say the Cranborne 'ouse is 'aunted. Owned by George Tennison, it is. 'E's a factory boss or something. retired 'ere last year, 'e did. Not sure when though. 'E doesn't like visitors much. Never even clapped eyes on the man. Sounds creepy if you ask me." She shrugged and took her seat again, taking up her fork and knife to cut up her steak into little pieces.

"If you want more about ghosts, you should visit 'The Goat', the pub at the centre of the village. Some say that the previous owner visits on some afternoons. Bill 'e was called, Bill Tarney. Load of codswallop is what I think! Probably Ted, e's the one that took over, probably Ted making up tall tales to get the ghost 'unters into 'is pub!" Molly offered, sticking a nice, juicy piece of steak in her mouth and chewing at it laborously.

About this time, Paul Chaplin entered the dining room. Molly motioned to the empty space at the table, "Sorry, we didn't wait for you. But you're in time for the steak and stew." She stood and got Paul's food from the stove, placing it in front of him.

Paul had actually just been in the other room next to the dining room tying his shoes and tucking in his shirt and overheard most of what Molly had to say about the local folklore.
Paul,In other words, feel free to backread through this thread and all info gained here is considered in-character knowledge. Just seems easier than having one of the other characters paraphrase for Paul's benefit.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Glad you could join us, Paul," says Laurence. He waits for Paul to sit down and then begins cutting his steak and eating it. "Ah, most excellent! My compliments to the chef."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Has anyone else investigated the reports of ghosts here before?" asks Samantha. "Has the local vicar been involved at all for example? Or is it just Martin Richardson? I must admit tales of ghosts alarm me even more than faeries, though, as you say Molly, some of them may be fabrications to drum up trade." She picks up her knife and fork and starts to eat her steak and potatoes, cutting the steak up carefully and eating slowly.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Paul nodded to Laurence respectfully, took his seat and started eating, trying to gather where the conversation was going. He personally didn't didn't know what they were doing there other than Laurence asked him to come.

Molly shrugged and finished chewing a mouthful of food. "I don't know who all has been 'unting the spirits. Not really my cup o' tea." Looking to Laurence, she smiles and nods, "It is pretty good, even if I am a mite biased."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Are there any other visitors in Glendale besides us?" asks Laurence.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Molly responds, "I don't know. They don't 'ave to check in with me. But I'm not the only Bed and Breakfast in town."
Mendolin
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Mendolin »

Paul gives his full attention to the meal in front of him.
In spite of the obscure things he has seen since he was paid by Laurence, he'd never consider believing in elves and goblins.
Heck, we're in the 21th Century, damnit.
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Petronella asks Molly: "Do you know where these spirit sightings have occurred? Do you have a map of the area, so you could point out the "hot spots"?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

clever,Nice way of having me summarize, Thorn.
Molly nodded and wiped her mouth, then got up from her chair. She said, "I'll be just a moment."

From her office, she obtained a local map. Returning to the dining room, she laid it down on the table in next to Petronella, but centrally located so that everyone could see. "Cranborne 'ouse 'ere, The Goat is 'ere... 'aunted. Over 'ere is where people look for the little people. And Martin Richardson's 'ouse is um... right 'ere."

For dessert Molly brings to the table a large bowl of spotted dick and a large jug of steaming hot custard. There is just no way…

She smiles and says, "I have out the kettle on. I'll have a steaming hot pot of tea for you. Do any of you take sugar?"
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

"Two sugars and milk, please," Petronella answers while she studies the map. "This is very helpful, thank you."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

"I just take milk, thanks Molly," says Samantha, peering over at the map as well, while she eats her dessert.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"One sugar, please," says Laurence. "My, this looks scrumptious!" He helps himself to some custard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mendolin
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Mendolin »

No milk or sugar for me!

Paul replies with a grin.
He pulls out his own map of the Lake District and carefully notes the locations given by Molly on his own map.

This could prove useful later.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Molly, having finished her dessert, starts cleaning up the table and left-overs. This gives the rest of the people at the table some privacy to determine what they want to do next during their stay in Glendale.

Return to “The Glendale Spirits”