Page 1 of 1

The Cranborne House Investigation

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm
by ImpInTraining
After getting directions from Molly, the party makes their way driving down a narrow country lane a mile away from the village proper. The morning fog is just starting to lift, and gives the countryside an eerie feeling.

At the end of the lane is a gap between some trees that leads to a driveway. Beyond the trees you can see a beautifully kept garden that surrounds the Cranborne House itself. The stately home is not as large as you had expected.

The top of the drive leads to an oak front door. On the door is a large steel knocker...

Re: The Cranborne House Investigation

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm
by Anatomist

'Please let me' Pauls says getting ahead of the group. Paul steps up to the door and swings the door knocker three times.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," says Laurence, standing to one side and waiting for someone to come to the door.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm
by ImpInTraining
A smartly dressed man in his twilight years answers the door. He is smartly attired in a suit and tie. He is slim and seems to be fit and healthy. What remains of his white hair has been cut short. You would guess that he is in his fifties.

"Good morning. Visitors - always a welcome sight. Come on in. I'll fetch a drink. Coffee? Tea?" glancing Paul's way he suggests, "Perhaps something stronger?" with a lifting of an eyebrow and a grin on his lips.

Peeking inside the house displays a warm and cozy living arrangement, comfortably furnished in antique furniture. The man, presumably George Tennison (although he hadn't stated it yet) was certainly a friendly sort. Hard to believe the locals talked so bad about him at the tavern. While the tavern dwellers were friendly to visitors, they didn't much care for new people moving in to the neighborhood ironically.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm
by Anatomist
===000===
Glancing at Lawrence, Paul nods 'Something stronger would be appreciated' Paul looks around the floor as he walks to the living room thinking "wonder what the history of this house is"
Ooc Gm,Paul being a local will try to recall anything he has heard about the estate. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2988215/]History 20% (1d100=14)[/url] On another note: you mind updating the sheet with my player name and the picture? thanks!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Tea for me, thank you," says Laurence, entering the house after Paul. He looks admiringly at the furniture.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:48 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Tea for me as well please," says Samantha, following Laurence into the house.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 pm
by Thorn
Pet smiles at the gentleman, and walks in with the others, looking around. "Yes, tea please. Ta."

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas chuckles and answers, "I suppose I'm the only coffee drinker here. You can ask my beautiful wife here, I count how much coffee I drink daily by pots. Also I take it black."

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,No one from the group is 'local', but I'll allow the roll and say you picked up the information from the tavern the night earlier. The house itself is only a few hundred years old, but rumor had it there was a strange ring of stones beyond the gardens in the back.
"Of course," the man says. "Please... make yourself comfortable in the lounge," he waves the way with a gesture of his hand to a large room with comfortable chairs and intricate paintings hanging on the walls and headed on into the kitchen to fetch the drink giving the others an opportunity to talk amongst themselves.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 pm
by Anatomist
===000===

As George (Paul at least though it was) leaved the room he bends towards the others talking in a low voice. 'This house has its history, you know, i overheard at the tavern yesterday that its supposed to have one of those old stone-rings on its property' 'nice spot he got, he?'

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:00 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I'd be interested in seeing that stone ring," muses Samantha, looking around her, deciding which chair to sit on.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:33 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas remains standing and quickly pulls out a small concealable camera and starts quickly photographing the room. Anything of immediate interest he makes sure he gets pictures of as well, that includes his wife. By now she had to be used to the random picture taking and it sure didn't hurt that she was stunning to begin with, far as Nicholas knew, the only pictures she hated were first thing in the morning ones. "To beautiful not to be photographed." He stated as he snapped off a few of Samantha from different angles. Once he was done he stood behind her and waited for their host to arrive.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence takes a seat. "Such stone rings have long had associations with faeries," he says. "This one may be relevant to the local phenomena, and I'd also be interested in seeing it."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:17 pm
by Anatomist
===000===

Paul being who he is starts walking around peeking into the neighbor rooms to see if he could spot anything intresting and dont see anything out of the ordinary

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm
by Thorn
Pet perks up when she hears about the stone ring. "I'd like to ee that stone ring to."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm
by ImpInTraining
The man returns finally carrying a tray with several cups of various beverages. "I'm sorry, have I introduced myself? I get so excited sometimes when company comes over. Most of the village treats me like I have the plague," he said setting down the tray on the central table. "My name is George. George Tennison. Did you enjoy the gardens outside? I've put so much work into them. I'd love to show you around the gardens if you'd like."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm
by Anatomist
ImpInTraining wrote: Did you enjoy the gardens outside? I've put so much work into them. I'd love to show you around the gardens if you'd like."

'We havent had the pleaseure yett, sir. I would pick up on the offering no thinking twice there' Paul accepts the drink from the man 'But Sir' 'I heard a story at the tavern, that might or might not be true' 'is it true you have one of those ancient stone rings on your property?' 'that would be interesting to know more of and without a doubt see' Paul glances on the others specially on Lawrence to follow up.
Fast Talk roll 60%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2998769/]Fast Talk 60% (1d100=9)[/url]

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Mr. Tenison," says Laurence, taking a cup of tea and sipping it. "A pleasure to meet you. I'm Professor Laurence Hickman, Emeritus." He offers his free hand. "I'd be quite keen on seeing those standing stones as well."

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 am
by yockenthwaite
"I think quite a few of us are interested in the stone ring," says Samantha in response to Laurence's comment. "Pleased to meet you Mr Tennison. My name is Samantha Hollis and I'm here with my husband Nicholas." She indicates her head towards her husband as she says this.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:21 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas nods as his wife introduces him and adds, "Plus with your permission of course, I personally would love to photograph your garden. It is quite beautiful."

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:39 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,Convincing him to showing you the stone ring would be a persuade roll, not a Fast Talk check. But you would have made that check with your roll as well. No worries.
George frowned slightly as the mention of the ring of stones is brought up. "They're just a bunch of rocks... vaguely arranged in a circular formation. Not nearly as beautiful as my garden."

As the others in the group prove interested in the ring of stones, George sighs and shook his head. Nicholas brings out his camera and George lightens up again, "Oh, of course, you're encouraged to photograph as much as you'd like."

Paul stepped up and suggested, "Nicholas will be happy to take all sorts of pictures of your lovely garden... on the way to the stone ring."

Reluctantly, George agrees. "All right, fine. We'll make our way through the garden to the ring of stones."
ooc,Hope you don't mind me adding that little clip in on your behalf, Anatomist
The man finished the cup of tea he had poured for himself and started leading the others out through the back door. He leads you up a small path of hedges and pauses before a large rose bush, where he begins a very long monologue explaining all the work he had put into each and every plant along the way as he winds all throughout the beautiful garden. The plants, shrubs, hedges, flowers, and trees are all very beautiful and it is obvious that George deserved the pride he felt as he got to show it off. The tour goes on like this for a half-hour/45 minutes when you all start wondering when you will get to the stone ring... if at all.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm
by Anatomist
ooc GM,I dont mind at all the comment on my behalf. And sorry the use of wrong skill, seems im more rusty then i thought.

Paul scetches the route as best he can on his map as they walk 'I hvent seen to many gardens Sir, but this one is one: beatifull and two: huge!'

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm
by yockenthwaite
"It is a lovely garden. It must take a lot of maintenance though," says Samantha, "though I can see that it gives you much pleasure."

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, absolutely," says Laurence, admiring the flora. "I can't imagine how long it must take you to keep all these grounds."

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas starts photographing the gardens from different angles, mumbling things under his breath as he does so. Its sounds as if he's talking to the plants themselves. 'Work it honey.', 'Let's see your naughty side.' and several other things can be heard as he dips and dodges shooting at different angles. He seems to be enjoying the shoot as much as their host seems to be giving the tour.

At one particular beautiful rose bush he stops and lowers his camera and says, "Now if I can get everyone together for a group shot, tallest in back please." Once everyone gets into possition he starts shooting from different angles yet again.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 pm
by Anatomist
Andrew wrote:Nicholas starts photographing the gardens from different angles, mumbling things under his breath as he does so. Its sounds as if he's talking to the plants themselves. 'Work it honey.', 'Let's see your naughty side.' and several other things can be heard as he dips and dodges shooting at different angles. He seems to be enjoying the shoot as much as their host seems to be giving the tour.

At one particular beautiful rose bush he stops and lowers his camera and says, "Now if I can get everyone together for a group shot, tallest in back please." Once everyone gets into possition he starts shooting from different angles yet again.

'Nicholas excuse me, are you really asking a bunch of roses to line up?'

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:01 pm
by ImpInTraining
As long as George sees his company is still interested in the garden, he continues his tour - seemingly leaving no plant uncovered as he rambles on about the care and time he'd given to all the plants as well as the reasons for why he placed them where they grow. For another 20 minutes the tour continues and it seems the man never tires of talking about his garden.
Paul,Looks like according to your map he is leading everyone back up to the front of the house.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas stops and looks at Paul with a dumbstruck look on his face and finally answers, "Well yes of course!" He laughs and adds, "Actually I meant the humans to get in front of a bush. I'd like to document who's here and so on. I've taken enough individual pictures when you guys weren't looking, might as well get into a group shot."

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 pm
by Thorn
Pet introduced herself before they went out into the garden, then wanders among the flowers while the man talks. "Beautiful....beautiful..." She peers into the roses, half expecting to see little fairies inside.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:03 am
by Anatomist
Andrew wrote:Nicholas stops and looks at Paul with a dumbstruck look on his face and finally answers, "Well yes of course!" He laughs and adds, "Actually I meant the humans to get in front of a bush. I'd like to document who's here and so on. I've taken enough individual pictures when you guys weren't looking, might as well get into a group shot."

'Excuse me' 'I could swear you where talking to the plants' Paul smiles and tries to catch up whit the tour.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence stands at the back for the group photo, being the tallest one there. "Actually, I hear that gardeners find that talking to their plants helps them grow better," says Laurence. He looks at their host. "Is that so, Mr. Tenison?"

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm
by ImpInTraining
The man nods enthusiastically, glad that the group is taking an interest in his gardening. "Oh yes," George says responding to Laurence, "my plants just love it when I show them affection. I know it sounds silly, but it really does seem to make a difference."

Another half hour goes by and still George Tenison hasn't uncovered the ring of stones. As long as the polite visitors seem content at the garden tour, he stretches it out - seeming at this time to be straining to reach points that he hadn't yet covered. You have completely circled the house and are about to start on a second pass covering some of the smaller paths that were not yet explored.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
"I say, is this circle of stones much further?" asks Laurence. "It feels like we've been walking for a very long time."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:14 am
by Anatomist
Mr. Handy wrote:"I say, is this circle of stones much further?" asks Laurence. "It feels like we've been walking for a very long time."

Paul looks at Laurence and nods 'yes yes' 'i cant wait to see that too'

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:31 pm
by ImpInTraining
George rolled his eyes and exhaled sharply. "Oh, all right. You've all been such good guests, I don't see the harm. Just straight back that direction... you won't miss it. Just beyond the edge of the gardens. I'm sure you're all thirsty by now, so I'll head inside and prepare some cool drinks for when you're done." He turned toward the house and started away, muttering something about the lack of importance of a bunch of dusty old rocks.

Out of sight of the main house and just beyond the boundary of bushes and trees, that mark the edge of George's beautiful gardens, is a path that leads to a circle of ten equidistantly placed stones. Each is roughly the shape of a crude spearhead and stand between a metre and a metre and a half tall. The stones are about two metres apart making a circle of approximately six metres in diameter.

A path has been worn from the back of the garden to the centre of the stones, undoubtedly made by George's visits.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
"Hmm..." says Laurence, striding up the path to the stone circle. He begins to walk around the outer edge of the circle, examining the stones closely, but they don't seem very familiar to him.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:19 am
by yockenthwaite
"Gosh they are taller than I expected," says Samantha, examining the stones with some interest. "I wonder what the history behind them is?"

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:57 pm
by Anatomist
Paul walks around perimeter of the circle noting on his map, taking a look at the surroundings and watching the stones, he tries to remember if he ever heard anything about theses rocks. And seems not to get much out of it. (1d100=21, 1d100=56)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:34 pm
by Thorn
Pet moves around the circle with interest, stepping inside it reverently.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 am
by Anatomist
Paul watches in the direction of the house 'so what you people think' 'you think this guy know anything about the circle' ' seems reluctant to talk about it anyways, maybe he has been really bugged about it before or something, fed up sort of thing' 'maybe some female charm is in order?' Paul glances at Samantha and Petronella 'im wondering how we can drag some information out of the man'

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 pm
by yockenthwaite
"He does seem reluctant to talk about it, certainly. I was wondering if looking around the house might be a way in." says Samantha. "Perhaps we could discuss the circle with him then, as well as see more of the house? Though I'm not the journalist. What do you think Petronella?"

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:59 pm
by Mr. Handy
"It's hard to say why he doesn't want to talk about it," says Laurence as he examines the stone circle. "Maybe it did disturb him. Or perhaps he is simply so keen on his gardens that he doesn't want to talk about anything else. It couldn't hurt for the ladies to have a try."

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 pm
by Thorn
Pet nods. "Sure....we can ask him about the history of the house, that sort of thing. If the garden is older than the buildings and so on."

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm
by ImpInTraining
As Nicholas is taking pictures of the stone ring, something catches his attention and he points it out to the others. It looks to be as if something, perhaps a rune, was etched onto each of the stones, and then later removed. It seems impossible to tell what runes were once carved there.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas puts his camera down and goes to take a closer look at the stone.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 pm
by ImpInTraining
At the base of each stone are small stone shavings. Where the etching had been carved away, the small bits of stone fell and lay.
ooc - for all,Really isn't much more you can learn from this circle, so if ya'll want to continue, let me know where you're heading next.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Perhaps we could take rubbings of these markings, but the runes may be too badly defaced for that to be of any aid," says Laurence. "If we can't do anything here, let's head back to the house. Our host may know something about this."

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 am
by Anatomist

'Nicholas take some good pictures fo those symbols will you?' Paul looks at Laurence 'rubbings seems like a good idea too' 'if no one oposes lets get back to the house and se what we can get out of the man'

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"Agreed," says Laurence. He borrows a pencil and paper from Paul and takes what rubbings he can. "All right, let's head back."

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas frowned at Paul and said, "Good pictures? What do you take me for? A hack? I am a professional man! I take nothing but perfect pictures, pictures even better than God intended for man to see with his eye alone. Pictures that can make the most stoic man weep, the most hardened woman cry like a babe. Good pictures... Pish posh to you I say sir!" He let his face glow red as he forced his anger to build. "Just kidding Paul, although I do stand by what I said about my pictures. I once made an American special forces officer cry at the picture I took of an aftermath battle scene. Horror just cannot be reflected in the movies."

Nicholas felt a chill run down his spine as he remembered the pictures he was talking about in vivid detail, he reached out and grabbed Samantha's hand, lightly squeezing it for reassurance. He looked slightly shaken and pale and it was obvious there were tears in his own eyes. He cleared his throat and wiped his eyes and held up the camera for a few shots of the symbol. "Stand next to it darling, that way I have scalability as well." Not only was it true but it was another way to get to photograph his beautiful wife.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,I can't recall off the top of my head if ya'll investigated the alleged photos of fairies that George was supposed to have, but I just wanted to remind you of it before you left in case it hadn't already been covered.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:05 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Sure, honey," says Samantha, looking at her husband with some concern. She poses beside the stones so that Nicholas can take photographs of the symbols, and her.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Thanks, I had completely forgotten that.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm
by ImpInTraining
Nicholas managed to get a few breathtaking shots of his beautiful wife posing near the stones.

The group, finding nothing much in the way of answers where the ring of stones is concerned, determined to make their way back up to the Cranborne House, where the found George sitting on the porch sipping lemon aid. "Well, did you find what you were looking for then?" he asked the others with a smile and a lift of his glass. "More drink right here if you'd like to help yourselves," he motioned to a nearby pitcher and several empty glasses that rested on a table next to him.

On the porch there were several wicker seats with flowery cushions to make them comfortable.

"Yeah, it's a strange thing, that ring of stones. But I've never seen anything come of it. Of course, I've been a bit preoccupied with my gardens," George offers.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, I will," says Laurence, pouring himself a glass and settling himself into a seat. "We couldn't tell much from the stones. Apparently they used to have runes carved into them, but they look to have been defaced. It might have once been associated with fairies, perhaps. Which reminds me, aren't you supposed to have some photographs that might be of fairies? I'd like to see them. I'm sure Nicholas would as well, he's an expert photographer."

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 am
by Anatomist

Paul sits down and grabs some to drink. He decides to stay quiet and let the man talk.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 pm
by ImpInTraining
George seems genuinely delighted that you mentioned his fairy photographs, "Why yes, I do. Victorian-era... back when the buzz on fairy-folk was quite alive and well." He stood and said, "I'll get them, one moment."

George is only gone 30 seconds before returning with a bulky purple piece of cloth that he unwraps and produces five framed, sepia photographs which he presents with a look of pride on his face. "I picked these up last year. I got a tip that they were up for auction. I think that you will agree that they are something special!"

The first is of two small winged fairies - one male, one female - apparently resting in a group of dandelions.

The second is group of five fairies flying in and around the branches of a bush.

The third is female fairy who appears to be ballet dancing for the photographer.

The fourth is a male and female pair that is in a loving embrace. They are looking towards the camera with a startled look, as if they had been taken by surprise.

The fifth and final photograph is a family group posing outside of their house carved into the trunk of a tree.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 pm
by Thorn
Petronella leans in to look at the photographs. She chews her lower lip, looking wistfully at the embracing fairy couple, before turning to Nicholas. "What do you think, could they be real?"

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm
by ImpInTraining
OOC,A very good photography roll will determine if they are fakes or not. Looking for half your photography skill or better.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"They certainly look real, to the untrained eye," says Laurence. "I'm sure you'll have a much more informed opinion than I do. They are rather striking. Any idea who the photographer was, Mr. Tenison, or where these were taken?"

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 am
by yockenthwaite
"Yes I was going to ask where they were taken too," says Samantha. "Was it somewhere local do you know Mr Tennison?"

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:24 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Rolled an 18 on my photography roll. My skill is 70%. Rolled on Dark and Moody's main dice roller.
Nicholas bent down to look at the five photographs, at first he was just amazed with the age of the photos, the photographer who took them, their colorization and angles but once that past he was looking for clues to detect fake photographs, unexplained shadows, reflections that should not appear, blurred sections that should be clear and vice versa, little things that people normally don't take into account. "Well they are breath taking, whether they're real or not is yet to be determined but they certainly are priceless, I would love to have these to put up in my studio. Even if they are fakes, it shows great skill in knowing photography well enough back in the day to have created fakes. It's not like they could have opened up Photoshop and done it. These would be old enough that the negative would have been a tin type and not celluloid. Absolutely beautiful." Nicholas could feel his excitement grow at studying the photos and possibilities of what might have happened.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: This reminds me of the novel and movie Photographing Fairies. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I'd suggest you do. Not only because of the game but because either format was really good.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 am
by Anatomist
GM,Do i roll for history on the pics? Paul might have heard something about them?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,not history. Occult if anything to know stories about where such pictures might have been taken. You could try a geography roll to place their location.
Nicholas,The pictures are all excellent fakes - especially for the era in which they were taken. Feel free to elaborate off the cuff.
George says, "It was my understanding that these photos came from somewhere in Glendale. I admit, it is part of the reason why I moved here."

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas smiled and laughed slightly, "The craftsmanship, the skill is exquisite! However I do not think our little mystical friends would wear their hair in the fashion of the day or wear dresses bought at Harrods or jewelry crafted expertly by a master jeweler. Also the waterfall is out of focus in this one but the wings of our fairies are always in focus. There is no shadow when the light source clearly is...."

Nicholas stopped and looked at the group, "I could go on and on about the flaws the photographs have that make them fakes. To be honest they are done very well and to the untrained eye look very real but never the less they are forgeries. For the era they were done in they're still masterpieces. Most people wouldn't be able to replicate them with modern programs. George, if you would be so kind as to let me borrow them, I would like to replicate them. I would have them back to you before you could grow to miss them. I have to confess, I have fallen in love with them." Nicholas stated, his eyes still burning into the photos.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 pm
by Anatomist

Paul thinks and thinks... Everyone can see his doing it... but at some point he lifts his shoulders and glares out in the room.

Occult 20% Geology 1% (1d100=37, 1d100=20)

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Laurence studies the photos in greater detail. "Yes, now that you point it out, I can see those little details that give it away," he says. "You're quite right, though. They may be forgeries, but they are works of art nonetheless." The settings in the pictures seem very familiar to him.
OOC,I got 1/5 of my skill, so that's a special success. I don't think there's a Geography skill, at least not in 6th edition.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:39 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,Natural history then - yeah... something to recognize the flora and fauna as local. (my amateurishness is showing)
Laurence,The occult background - Laurence is very familiar with these pictures. He hadn't seen them all before, but a couple of them were provided in a book about supernatural creatures published back in 1978. In that book, the chapter on "Fairies and Little People" had many such pictures... most of them artist renderings, but these were the only actual pictures in the chapter. It was presented as 'proof' of fairy existence at the time, but knowledge of photography has advanced considerably since then and every point that Nicholas makes disproving the photos seems valid. As Lawrence recollects on the book he read so long ago, he recalls that these pictures were taken in Glendale - allegedly.
George's pleasant demeanor disappears from his face. He feels like someone just punched him in the gut with the news. "Are... are you certain?" he asked Nicholas. "I mean, they used different cameras back then. They behaved differently, right?"

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"Come to think of it, I've seen these photographs before," says Laurence. "They were in a book about supernatural creatures published in 1978, along with drawings by artists. It did say that they were supposed to have been taken in Glendale." He speaks comfortingly to George. "Are these photographs any less beautiful if they turn out to be forgeries? Think of your favourite novel or film. Is it any less a treasure because it is a work of fiction? There is a reason that fiction is more popular than non-fiction. Some things are true, yes, but some things are more than true."

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 pm
by Andrew
"Oh yeah Georgie! These are fake alright. Masterwork fakes but fakes nonetheless. Trust me I know cameras and what they can and cannot do. The outer workings of cameras may have changed but the basic fundamentals of cameras... not so much. Still takes mirrors and light to capture and image, even digital cameras need that. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell I'll even pay you good money to take these lousy fakes off your hands." Nicholas stated, his tone in no way soft or caring about George's dismay.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 am
by ImpInTraining
Still evidently disappointed, George shook his head, "No ... fake or not... I believe I will keep them." He held his hand out waiting for the pictures to be returned. "Who knows... maybe I'll have a chance to get some authentic pictures of my own?"

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm
by Andrew
"Tell you what, you let me hang on to these so I can copy them and I will give you copies of any "real" paranormal pictures I take." Nicholas stated.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 am
by ImpInTraining
George seemed somewhat reluctant to let his pictures go. But knowing they were fakes made it a little easier. "I will write up a receipt... just to make sure I have proof of ownership."

He disappeared into the house for a few minutes, and came out with a piece of paper stating that Nicholas was borrowing five pictures - with descriptions of each for a period of time not extending more than two weeks. It all seemed very official, even if hand-written. Assuming there is no objection, Nicholas signs the paper, and George bids farewell to the group as they leave the Cranborne House.
ooc,Where to now?

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"You suggested earlier that we take a hike through the woods to look for that student," Laurence says to Petronella. "You agreed to come here with the rest of us first, so now I think it's only fair that we try your suggestion next."

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 am
by Anatomist
Mr. Handy wrote:"You suggested earlier that we take a hike through the woods to look for that student," Laurence says to Petronella. "You agreed to come here with the rest of us first, so now I think it's only fair that we try your suggestion next."

Paul nods with his head at Laurence and Petronella. 'The woods he?' 'you think we going to need to camp Petronella?'

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas looked to Samantha to see what she thought of a tramp through the woods. If he knew his wife as well as he thought he did, he knew that she much preferred ground with concrete or wood compared to moss and debris. "Well let me place these pictures in a safe place." Holding up the written receipt he added, "Apparently George is a little worried about them. Plus we should probably dress better for a trek through the woods. I'd prefer boots to the loafers I'm wearing now."

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:20 pm
by Thorn
Petronella nods to Laurence. "Sounds good." Looking to Paul, she smiles a bit. "I don't think any camping will be necessary, but as Nicholas says, we should probably at least change our shoes."

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,Good call on that camping bit.
As the group distances themselves from the Cranborne House, they hear what sounds like rolling thunder getting increasingly loud coming from behind them on the road. Turning around, you observe nothing in the distance down the road.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas raised an eyebrow at the lack of something that would make that sort of noise. "Maybe we're disturbing forces that are best left alone. Maybe our investigations are awaking Cthulhu or one of those other gods Lovecraft wrote about." He chuckled.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 am
by yockenthwaite
"Surely not dear," laughs Samantha. "That's all flim-flam and nonsense!"

She pauses for a moment, still looking at her husband. "I'm not the most enthusiastic camper in the world, as you know. But if you want to explore the woods, I'll come along with you. But I definitely need to change my shoes first."

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm
by ImpInTraining
Everyone, roll Luck.
Everyone roll Spot Hidden - peek at this spoiler if you succeed,A ghostly gray stagecoach comes into view (seemingly from thin air), four horses hell-bent on moving down the road at break neck speed driven by a headless coachman. Roll Sanity Check: d3/d10
Those who succeeded in Luck roll above peek at this,You are in no danger where you are.
Those who failed in Luck roll and made Spot Hidden peek at this,Roll Dodge to avoid the stagecoach.
Those who failed in Luck and Spot Hidden peek at this,Sorry about that... this is going to hurt a little bit.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 pm
by yockenthwaite

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm
by Anatomist

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 pm
by Thorn
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3101647/ (Spot hidden 40 %, rolled 48, Luck 45 % rolled 62)

Petronella cries out at a sudden pain.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Spot Hidden: 21, Luck: 87, Dodge: 18
Nicholas' eyes widen at the site before him, "What the fuck!" He yells as he pushes his wife out of the way as well as himself.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm
by ImpInTraining
damage,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3122051/]Paul damage, Pet Damage, Nicholas Damage, Laurence Damage (1d6,1d6,1d6,1d6=[1], [6], [3], [4])[/url]
Paul is knocked aside with a heavy shove and can almost feel horse breath on his neck at the time. Nicholas' first thought is for his wife, who is off the road and out of harm's way. He's glad for that, he thinks to himself as he is suddenly trampled over by the horse. Laurence is flattened by the surprised, literally. And Pet takes the worst of it, not only feeling the hooves of a horse stomp on her, but a wheel roll over her leg as well.

Those who did see the carriage quickly see it disappear after the impact. The road is quiet once more. And though the vision leaves everyone in the group to wonder if that really just happened, the bruises remain to say undeniably, yes...

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
"What the deuce?!" cries Laurence as he is struck from behind and goes down. He looks around but cannot find any trace of what had hit him and his companions. Though he is badly hurt, he sees that Petronella is in far worse shape. He crawls over to her and does his best to help her. She is looking somewhat better when he finishes.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 pm
by yockenthwaite
Samantha rushes to her husband. "What in heavens name was that thing?". She tries to help with his injuries, but struggles to make any difference.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am
by Thorn
Petronella groans and rolls over to her back, wincing at the pain caused by the invisible wagon. "Did...someone get...the licence number on that truck?" As Laurence tends to her injuries, she manages a weak, grateful smile. "Thank you. What was that thing?" She doesn't quite dare to look herself over yet, afraid of what damage the wagon has done, and trying her best to keep herself from crying.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Imp sir... Nicholas rolled great on his rolls. Especially his dodge, rolled an 18 on that.
Nicholas looks at his wife, glad she's alright and looks around at the others. "The fuck was that!" He yelled out. Then he began to check his camera equipment making sure everything was alright.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome, my dear," says Laurence. "I didn't see a bloody thing myself."

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc,Whoops, you're right about that. I'll edit Nicholas' hit points back to max. Something about your direction to shove your wife out of the way of harm threw me off I think.
Turns out, Nicholas threw himself to the ground to avoid taking injury. He is unharmed.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 pm
by Anatomist

Paul swears loudly 'What the fuck was that?!' and turn around to help the others that are wounded, and realizing hes no at any help at the moment.

First Aid 30% (1d100=47)
Ooc to all,I had to fix my post as some of the text didnt make it for some reason.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:45 pm
by Andrew
Spoiler:
OOC: Tis not a problem my friend.
Nicholas stood up and dusted himself off, assuring Samantha he was alright. He looked up and down the road but of course saw nothing unusual.... now. "Well that was pretty fucked up. A phenomenon like that happens and I didn't even have a camera ready! Fuck!" He was generally pissed off but as his wife knew, it was his way of dealing with fear and sadness and disappointment and, well the list went on. Anger was substituted for most other emotions except for happy or horny, luckily he was a pretty happy, horny kind of guy as his anger didn't surface often. He kicked the dirt shaking his head, "That would have been an incredible photograph! Once it was shown to be really I could have won the Pulitzer for that! Made millions!" He moved to Samantha, held her shoulders more gently than his tone would have suggested and put his nose to her nose, "Millions sweetheart! It could have made us millions." He kissed the tip of her nose and stepped away.

Then he looked at those that were actually hurt, "Ah shit. Here I am ranting when we got injured people." He looked at those around and said, "How can I help? Lend a shoulder to lean on, carry someone?"

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm
by yockenthwaite
Samantha smiles patiently at her husband as he talks, relieved that he doesn't seem to be badly injured. She becomes more serious as he mentions the injured people. "Yes, how can we help? What can we do? And what was that thing? I didn't see anything, but obviously there was something large to leave such a trail of devastation."

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 am
by ImpInTraining
Sure didn't feel like a ghost...

Where was everyone heading to next? the woods to talk to the college boy? I think that was right.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Petronella[/b] should now be at 5 HP, not 3, since I successfully applied First Aid to her and gave her back 2. That was where we were heading next, yes, but some of us might want to see a doctor first.
Laurence tries to tend to his own wounds, but the pain has finally kicked in and is too distracting. "Thank you," says Laurence. "I am in need of medical attention. I've done all I can for Miss Walters, but perhaps a doctor could do more. Is there one in Glendale?"

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:57 pm
by ImpInTraining
In fact, there is a doctor in Glendale. Pet especially is in favor of going. Is everyone else going?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I think seeing a doctor would be sensible, yes," agrees Samantha. "Some of these injuries look nasty, and seeking proper medical help would be advisable."

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas nods his agreement. "All for one, one for all." He said as he went to help Laurence.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 pm
by Anatomist
ImpInTraining wrote:In fact, there is a doctor in Glendale. Pet especially is in favor of going. Is everyone else going?
Paul will go.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, let's see the doctor post haste," says Laurence, limping along. "If this...phenomenon has happened before, the doctor may know of other people with similar injuries, so the visit is doubly important."

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 pm
by Andrew
"So uh doc... You had any patients in your tenure here that happened to get run over by a phantom carriage? No? Oh just asking. No I'm not crazy and I will not wear the self hugging jacket." Nicholas stated with a smile as he helped Laurence walk. "You know, the least it could have done after running everyone over would have been to stop and see if it could have given us a lift into town. The nerve of some phantoms!"

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:23 pm
by Anatomist
Paul is quite upset he didn't see it coming, he stays quiet and tags along.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:10 pm
by yockenthwaite
Samantha follows her husband's lead, and supports Petronella as they walk.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"I was thinking of something a bit more subtle than that, Nicholas," says Laurence. "We say that we were run down by a horse-drawn carriage, but we don't mention the phantom part. Then we ask if this sort of thing happens around these parts often."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 pm
by Andrew
Nicholas shrugs, "You don't have a sense of humor do you? As funny as it would be to see the doctor's reaction to a phantom carriage, I doubt he'd believe us but you never know. Hell just a few hundred years ago, that would probably be an omen that death was coming for you. If one of us was killed by it I bet it would have stopped and taken that person's soul, spirit, essence, whatever you want to call it."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:14 pm
by yockenthwaite
"So was that what you all saw?" asks Samantha. "I saw nothing at all, though I was flung to one side, thankfully, rather suddenly."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:34 pm
by Thorn
Petronella leans on Nicholas as they limp back towards town. "I'm sorry, guys. We'll find the student later, yeah?"

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm
by Anatomist
yockenthwaite wrote:"So was that what you all saw?" asks Samantha. "I saw nothing at all, though I was flung to one side, thankfully, rather suddenly."

'Didnt see shit to be honest' says Paul a bit anoyed

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy
"I didn't see a blasted thing either," says Laurence. "From the description of what happened, it's possible that it wasn't a ghost carriage at all. If Martin Richardson's theory is correct, it could have come here from the past, hit us, and gone right back to its own time."

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:15 am
by Andrew
Nicholas pretends to weep... or is he pretending? "A million dollar photograph and I missed the shot. Me, a professional photographer, missed the shot. Oh I need to hang myself with a roll of film. Maybe set some cameras up to photograph it."

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 pm
by ImpInTraining
Continue the story in Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News